|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
2. Where does Mama put the wine during the reception?
3. Who leaves Mama a check?
4. What does Mr. Hyde leave for the children?
5. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
2. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
3. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
4. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
5. Why does Papa want to buy the chicken ranch?
6. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
7. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
8. How does Katrin plan to keep the meat balls hot enough for an after school reception?
9. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
10. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
Essay Topic 1
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
How are Katrin's school friends similar to the aunts? What changes do each group go through during the novel to make them good and/or evil?
Essay Topic 3
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)