|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
3. What is the name of Katrin's only classmate who is nice to her?
4. What does Nels do the night the boys get into trouble for breaking into a store?
5. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
2. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
3. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
4. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
5. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
6. Does Katrin enjoy her first day at Winford?
7. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
8. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
9. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
10. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an old saying "hindsight is 20/20" meaning that looking back, people can always see clearly and probably avoid many mistakes in life. Discuss two or three instances from the novel where a character could have changed his or her actions if he or she would have seen the outcome beforehand, and explain how the actions would have changed and why.
Essay Topic 2
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
Essay Topic 3
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)