|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
2. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
3. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
4. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
5. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
2. Why is the school holding a reception?
3. Why is the attic a special place for Katrin?
4. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
5. Does Katrin enjoy her first day at Winford?
6. How is the family able to afford the Steiner Street house?
7. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
8. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
9. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
10. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The style of the book is unique in that the author chose to tell multiple stories all relating to Mama. How does this style help or hurt the story? Give specific examples from the book. Was this the best style to use to write this book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)