|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
2. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
3. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
4. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
5. How many free months of rent does the family receive from the Sondermans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the attic a special place for Katrin?
2. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
3. In what ways is Mr. Hyde valuable to the family?
4. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
5. Why does Papa want to buy the chicken ranch?
6. How is the family able to afford the Steiner Street house?
7. What makes Hester and Madeline finally start to be nice to Katrin?
8. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
9. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
10. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end of the book, Christine thinks she is dying after giving birth. How does Mama comfort Christine and make her realize she will not die? What do you imagine Mama said about being a mother? In your own words, what does being a mother mean to Mama?
Essay Topic 2
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)