|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama want to buy with the money from the check?
2. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
3. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
4. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
5. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katrin plan to keep the meat balls hot enough for an after school reception?
2. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
3. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
4. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
5. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
6. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
7. Does Katrin enjoy her first day at Winford?
8. How does the family work together to avoid using their savings for expenses?
9. How is the family able to afford the Steiner Street house?
10. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose Katrin to be the narrator? Would the book be just as good if another character had been chosen to narrate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 3
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)