|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
2. Why is Katrin upset with her classmates during the reception?
3. What does Dagmar help Mama do in their new home?
4. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
5. What is the name of the school the girls attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
2. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
3. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
4. Why is the school holding a reception?
5. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
6. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
7. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
8. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
9. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
10. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)