|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
2. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
3. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
4. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
5. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
2. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
3. In what ways is Mr. Hyde a fraud?
4. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
5. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
6. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
7. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
8. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
9. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
10. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 2
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 3
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)