|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
2. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
3. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
4. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
5. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
2. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
3. Why does Papa want to buy the chicken ranch?
4. How does the family work together to avoid using their savings for expenses?
5. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
6. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
7. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
8. In what ways is Mr. Hyde valuable to the family?
9. How is the family able to afford the Steiner Street house?
10. Why is the school holding a reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 3
Is Katrin a good girl or a bad girl? What types of things does she do throughout the book to make her good or bad?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)