|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama decide to make for Katrin's school reception?
2. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
3. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
4. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
5. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the attic a special place for Katrin?
2. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
3. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
4. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
5. In what ways is Mr. Hyde a fraud?
6. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
7. How is the family able to afford the Steiner Street house?
8. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
9. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
10. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose Katrin to be the narrator? Would the book be just as good if another character had been chosen to narrate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
Essay Topic 3
Is Katrin a good girl or a bad girl? What types of things does she do throughout the book to make her good or bad?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)