|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
2. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
3. Why does this child need to have an operation?
4. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
5. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
2. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
3. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
4. How does Katrin plan to keep the meat balls hot enough for an after school reception?
5. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
6. Why does Papa want to buy the chicken ranch?
7. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
8. How does the family work together to avoid using their savings for expenses?
9. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
10. How is the family able to afford the Steiner Street house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
Essay Topic 3
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)