|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
2. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
3. What major city does the family live in?
4. In Chapter 1, the narrator recalls the family home on which street?
5. How many days of praying does the Catholic Novena include?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
2. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
3. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
4. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
5. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
6. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
7. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
8. How does the family work together to avoid using their savings for expenses?
9. Why is the attic a special place for Katrin?
10. Does Katrin enjoy her first day at Winford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
Essay Topic 2
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
Essay Topic 3
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)