|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mama put the wine during the reception?
2. What is the new baby's name?
3. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
4. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
5. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Katrin enjoy her first day at Winford?
2. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
3. What makes Hester and Madeline finally start to be nice to Katrin?
4. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
5. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
6. What does Mama mean when she says that Mr. Hyde does not owe them anything?
7. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
8. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
9. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
10. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
Essay Topic 2
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)