|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity do Christine and the narrator miss doing when they move to their new home?
2. How does Miss Durant like to eat her vegetables?
3. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
4. How is Arne related to the narrator?
5. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
2. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
3. What makes Hester and Madeline finally start to be nice to Katrin?
4. How does Katrin plan to keep the meat balls hot enough for an after school reception?
5. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
6. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
7. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
8. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
9. In what ways is Mr. Hyde valuable to the family?
10. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
There is an old saying "hindsight is 20/20" meaning that looking back, people can always see clearly and probably avoid many mistakes in life. Discuss two or three instances from the novel where a character could have changed his or her actions if he or she would have seen the outcome beforehand, and explain how the actions would have changed and why.
Essay Topic 3
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)