|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
2. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
3. What is the new baby's name?
4. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
5. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
2. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
3. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
4. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
5. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
6. Why is the attic a special place for Katrin?
7. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
8. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
9. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
10. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
Essay Topic 2
In the end of the book, Christine thinks she is dying after giving birth. How does Mama comfort Christine and make her realize she will not die? What do you imagine Mama said about being a mother? In your own words, what does being a mother mean to Mama?
Essay Topic 3
There is an old saying "hindsight is 20/20" meaning that looking back, people can always see clearly and probably avoid many mistakes in life. Discuss two or three instances from the novel where a character could have changed his or her actions if he or she would have seen the outcome beforehand, and explain how the actions would have changed and why.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)