|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
2. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
3. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
4. What happens the same day the family moves to the Steiner Street house?
5. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
2. How does the family work together to avoid using their savings for expenses?
3. What makes Hester and Madeline finally start to be nice to Katrin?
4. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
5. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
6. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
7. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
8. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
9. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
10. In what ways is Mr. Hyde a fraud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The style of the book is unique in that the author chose to tell multiple stories all relating to Mama. How does this style help or hurt the story? Give specific examples from the book. Was this the best style to use to write this book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
Is Katrin a good girl or a bad girl? What types of things does she do throughout the book to make her good or bad?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)