|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama prefer to clean floors?
2. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
3. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
4. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
5. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
2. Why is the school holding a reception?
3. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
4. In what ways is Mr. Hyde a fraud?
5. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
6. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
7. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
8. Does Katrin enjoy her first day at Winford?
9. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
10. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 3
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)