|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
2. What does Mr. Hyde leave for the children?
3. Who forgets to turn on the heat in the school building during the reception?
4. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
5. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
2. Why does Papa want to buy the chicken ranch?
3. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
4. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
5. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
6. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
7. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
8. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
9. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
10. Why is the school holding a reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Katrin a good girl or a bad girl? What types of things does she do throughout the book to make her good or bad?
Essay Topic 2
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the author choose Katrin to be the narrator? Would the book be just as good if another character had been chosen to narrate? Why or why not?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)