|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
2. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
3. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
4. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
5. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
2. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
3. What does Mama mean when she says that Mr. Hyde does not owe them anything?
4. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
5. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
6. Why does Katrin volunteer to bring something to the reception at school?
7. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
8. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
9. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
10. In what ways is Mr. Hyde a fraud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)