|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Katrin's only classmate who is nice to her?
2. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
3. How does Miss Durant like to eat her vegetables?
4. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
5. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Mr. Hyde valuable to the family?
2. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
3. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
4. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
5. How does Katrin plan to keep the meat balls hot enough for an after school reception?
6. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
7. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
8. Why is the school holding a reception?
9. Why is the attic a special place for Katrin?
10. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)