|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
2. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
3. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
4. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
5. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
2. Why does Mama want to see her child in the hospital after the operation?
3. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
4. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
5. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
6. How does Carmelita help Katrin for the writing contest?
7. Why does Papa want to buy the chicken ranch?
8. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
9. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
10. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
Essay Topic 3
In the end of the book, Christine thinks she is dying after giving birth. How does Mama comfort Christine and make her realize she will not die? What do you imagine Mama said about being a mother? In your own words, what does being a mother mean to Mama?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)