|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cora call Nels?
2. Who was Aunt Elna betrothed to?
3. What does Nels nickname the refinished basement?
(a) Old Glory.
(b) Glory Hole.
(c) The Dungeon.
(d) The Old Hole.
4. What is Mama's request before choosing a hospital?
(a) To get care for free.
(b) For Papa to have his own room.
(c) To have a religous doctor.
(d) To stay with Papa.
5. Who is Frank?
(a) Katrin's husband.
(b) Mama's brother.
(c) A boarder.
(d) Christine's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Cora Martin own that surprised Dagmar?
2. Why does the family not serve food to the boarders on Sundays?
3. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
4. What does Mama promise to the woman to cover the $75 she is short for the surgery?
5. Who drops out of school to work at a five-and-dime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
2. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
3. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
4. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
5. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
6. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
7. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
8. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
9. Why can Mama comfort Christine when Nels and Frank can not?
10. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)