|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Papa in the kitchen before Dr. Johnson comes over?
(a) He falls out of the chair.
(b) His head starts to bleed.
(c) He slouches over.
(d) He burns his arm.
2. Why does the family not serve food to the boarders on Sundays?
(a) The family runs out of food every Sunday.
(b) The boarders fasted on Sundays.
(c) It is a family day.
(d) The family wants to save money.
3. Why is Christine upset?
(a) She is worried about Mama.
(b) Katrin is mean to her.
(c) Her baby died.
(d) She thinks she is going to die.
4. What gift does Katrin end up getting from the family for her graduation?
(a) A pink dresser.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A watch.
(d) A silver broach.
5. What does Mama promise to the woman to cover the $75 she is short for the surgery?
(a) Her silver broch.
(b) A year's worth of cooking.
(c) A carpenter to do the surgeon's home renovations.
(d) A room in the boardinghouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Katrin when Mr. Schiller leaves?
2. Who is wearing plasterer's overalls?
3. What kind of candy does Mr. Grady bring the women every week?
4. Who is missing from the kitchen on Sunday evening in Chapter 15?
5. What is the name of the hospital Papa is at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
2. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
3. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
4. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
5. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
6. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
7. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
8. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
9. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
10. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)