|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what part of Papa is hurting him?
(a) His arm.
(b) His back.
(c) His head.
(d) His stomach.
2. Which aunt has gossip about their old Aunt Elna?
(a) Aunt Trina.
(b) Aunt Sigrid.
(c) Aunt Marta.
(d) Aunt Jenny.
3. Which child loves animals?
4. Why does Cora not want Nels to become a doctor?
(a) She wants him to raise their children.
(b) She wants him to be a pilot.
(c) She wants him to join the army.
(d) She wants him to work in her family's business.
5. What does Papa joke about when he returns home from the hospital?
(a) His shaved head.
(b) His thin body.
(c) His pounding head.
(d) His bartering wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama do with Christine's hospital food?
2. Why does the family not serve food to the boarders on Sundays?
3. What does Cora call Nels?
4. What item does Cora Martin own that surprised Dagmar?
5. Who disapproves of Katrin working at her new place of employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
2. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
3. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
4. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
5. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
6. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
7. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
8. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
9. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
10. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)