|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Papa in the kitchen before Dr. Johnson comes over?
(a) His head starts to bleed.
(b) He slouches over.
(c) He burns his arm.
(d) He falls out of the chair.
2. Why is Christine in the hospital?
(a) She is having a baby.
(b) She hurt her arm.
(c) She is having brain surgery.
(d) She is dying.
3. Who is the carpenter Mama promises will do the work?
(b) Uncle Chris.
(d) Uncle Peter.
4. What is the name of the hospital Papa is at?
(a) San Francisco County.
(b) St. Joseph.
(c) St. Francis.
(d) Catholic General.
5. Which two men are doctors?
(a) Peder and John.
(b) James and Lewis.
(c) Frank and Nels.
(d) Nels and Peder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama try to do to the cat?
2. Who is missing from the kitchen on Sunday evening in Chapter 15?
3. What activity does Papa dream of doing?
4. What does Cora call Nels?
5. What are the names of the Martins' sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
2. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
3. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
4. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
5. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
6. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
7. Why can Mama comfort Christine when Nels and Frank can not?
8. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
9. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
10. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)