|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) The attic.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) The garage.
(d) The kitchen.
2. Who forgets to turn on the heat in the school building during the reception?
(a) The janitress.
(c) Miss Grimes.
3. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
(d) The narrator.
4. Which character demands her dowry money back from Uncle Chris' estate?
(a) Aunt Sigrid.
(b) Aunt Marta.
(c) Aunt Trina.
5. What does Dagmar help Mama do in their new home?
(a) Milk the goats.
(b) Plant a vegetable garden.
(c) Wash the clothes.
(d) Mop the floors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major city does the family live in?
2. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
3. What is the new baby's name?
4. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
5. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the way that Uncle Chris spends his money?
2. What does Mama mean when she says that Mr. Hyde does not owe them anything?
3. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
4. How does the family work together to avoid using their savings for expenses?
5. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
6. What does Uncle Chris do to make his living?
7. What do the other classmates do when they hear about the items that Katrin and Carmelita have brought to the reception?
8. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
9. Why is the school holding a reception?
10. Why does Mama want to move to the Steiner Street house immediately?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)