|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first boarder the family had at the Steiner Street house?
(a) Mister Ann.
(b) Miss Durant.
(c) Miss Karboe.
(d) Miss Grimes.
2. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The science room is locked.
(b) The stove is not working.
(c) There are no pots to boil water in.
(d) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
3. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) A turkey sandwich.
(d) Two cups of coffee.
4. Why won't the doctor let Mama go see her child after the operation?
(a) The child is not going to live.
(b) It is against hospital rules.
(c) Mama can not afford to pay the hospital bill.
(d) Mama is upset and he is afraid she will scare the child.
5. What does Mama bring to school in the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Water and cookies.
(b) Coffee and hot chocolate.
(c) Wine and soda.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
2. Where does the family move when they left the Castro Street house?
3. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
4. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
5. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Chris called "the black Norwegian"?
2. How does Katrin plan to keep the meat balls hot enough for an after school reception?
3. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
4. Why is Mama not mad when Katrin has to ask for the money to pay for the writing brochures?
5. Why is the family so unhappy at the chicken ranch?
6. What makes Miss Grimes such a mean woman?
7. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
8. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
9. What is the purpose of The Little Bank?
10. What makes Hester and Madeline finally start to be nice to Katrin?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)