|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) The narrator's writing materials.
(b) Christine's broken arm.
(c) Nels' high school.
(d) Groceries for the aunts.
2. What item does Katrin take from the boarder?
(a) Rent money.
(b) A silver necklace.
(c) A stack of magazines.
(d) A sweater.
3. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
(a) The German.
(b) An old man.
(c) The black Norwegian.
(d) The Scottish man.
4. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
(a) She pretends to be part of the cleaning staff.
(b) She sneaks back when no one is watching.
(c) She pretends to deliver a package.
(d) She pretends to be a nurse.
5. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 9 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 5 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
2. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
3. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
4. What is the name of Katrin's teacher?
5. What does Mama really do with the check?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin want to become a famous author?
2. In what ways is Mr. Hyde a fraud?
3. How does Mama save the day at the reception?
4. Why does Katrin need to come up with $7.00?
5. Why does Katrin enter the writing contest?
6. What two tricks does Mama play on the nurses to sneak in to see her child?
7. How does the family feel about how Uncle Chris spends his money?
8. How does Mama's Bank Account make the children feel?
9. What does Mama mean when she says that Mr. Hyde does not owe them anything?
10. In what ways is Mr. Hyde valuable to the family?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)