|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Christine in the hospital?
(a) She hurt her arm.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She is having brain surgery.
(d) She is having a baby.
2. What does Mama promise to the woman to cover the $75 she is short for the surgery?
(a) A room in the boardinghouse.
(b) A year's worth of cooking.
(c) Her silver broch.
(d) A carpenter to do the surgeon's home renovations.
3. Where does the family celebrate a wedding?
(a) On the bay.
(b) Their home.
(c) A church.
(d) The old chicken ranch.
4. What are the names of the Martins' sons?
(a) John and Edward.
(b) Rupert and John.
(c) Martin and Edward.
(d) Rupert and Edward.
5. Who asks, "Now truly, indeed, do you have Peder?"
(b) Aunt Elna.
(d) Aunt Marta.
6. Who is Frank?
(a) A boarder.
(b) Christine's husband.
(c) Katrin's husband.
(d) Mama's brother.
7. What does Papa joke about when he returns home from the hospital?
(a) His pounding head.
(b) His bartering wife.
(c) His thin body.
(d) His shaved head.
8. Which child is honored with a medal for outstanding achievement?
9. What school club does Christine lead?
10. What instrument does Professor Jannough play?
11. What sense is Aunt Elna missing?
12. Why does the family not serve food to the boarders on Sundays?
(a) The boarders fasted on Sundays.
(b) The family runs out of food every Sunday.
(c) The family wants to save money.
(d) It is a family day.
13. Who marries Miss Durant?
(a) Mr. Lewis.
(b) Mr. George.
(c) Mr. Clark.
(d) Mr. Stanton.
14. How much does the person Mama goes to see want to charge for the surgery?
15. What does the person Mama goes to see about the surgery keep complaining about while Mama is with her?
(a) Needing home repairs.
(b) Needing an outfit for a gala.
(c) Needing a place to live.
(d) Needing a cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member has never been admitted into a hospital?
2. What is the chosen career path for Katrin?
3. What are the first names of the two new renters in Chapter 10?
4. Who is wearing plasterer's overalls?
5. What does Cora call Nels?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)