|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He wears all black.
(b) He has a black mustache.
(c) He is African American.
(d) He smokes black tobacco.
2. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
(a) She always has fresh cake to eat.
(b) The girls can read magazines.
(c) They can see a baby.
(d) They can play with makeup.
3. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
4. What is the name of the school the girls attend?
5. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A fur coat.
(d) A silver tea service.
6. What does the family plan to do with the Steiner Street home?
(a) Remodel it and sell it for a profit.
(b) Let all the aunts move in.
(c) Make it a boarding house.
(d) Sell eggs and milk out of the basement.
7. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(b) He is a professional gambler.
(c) He is a traveling salesman.
(d) He steals heirlooms from families.
8. How does Miss Durant like to eat her vegetables?
9. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(b) Miss Scanlan.
10. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
(a) Bread and water.
(c) Two cups of coffee.
(d) A turkey sandwich.
11. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
12. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
(a) An old man.
(b) The German.
(c) The Scottish man.
(d) The black Norwegian.
13. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A crockpot.
(b) A warming dish.
(c) A candle.
(d) A chafing dish.
14. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
(a) She has to give up her dream of becoming a writer.
(b) She has to give away the writing brochures.
(c) She has to retake the class over the summer.
(d) She has to copy the lessons in the writing brochures.
15. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) An ear infection.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) Food poisoning.
(d) A gunshot wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
2. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
3. What is the name of Katrin's teacher?
4. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
5. Which item does Mama not count out money for?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)