|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) An ear infection.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) A gunshot wound.
(d) A broken arm.
2. What does Mr. Hyde leave for the children?
3. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Nels' high school.
(b) Christine's broken arm.
(c) The narrator's writing materials.
(d) Groceries for the aunts.
4. How many free months of rent does the family receive from the Sondermans?
(a) 2 free months.
(b) 1 free months.
(c) 4 free months.
(d) 3 free months.
5. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
6. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
(d) Meat balls.
7. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
(a) Currant cake.
(c) Cucumber sandwiches.
8. Who leaves Mama a check?
(b) Aunt Sigrid.
(c) Uncle Chris.
(d) Mr. Hyde.
9. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
10. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
(b) Rain gear.
11. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 9 days.
12. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
(a) Everything is fine.
(b) Praise the Lord.
(c) Is good.
(d) God bless us.
13. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
(b) Takes it to the bank.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Tears it up.
14. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
(a) 4 rooms.
(b) 11 rooms.
(c) 6 rooms.
(d) 12 rooms.
15. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A warming dish.
(b) A candle.
(c) A chafing dish.
(d) A crockpot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
2. Which character demands her dowry money back from Uncle Chris' estate?
3. Which items hang proudly on the wall in Mama and Papa's bedroom?
4. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
5. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)