|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first boarder the family had at the Steiner Street house?
(a) Miss Grimes.
(b) Miss Karboe.
(c) Mister Ann.
(d) Miss Durant.
2. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(a) The newspaper.
3. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The stove is not working.
(b) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
(c) The science room is locked.
(d) There are no pots to boil water in.
4. How many free months of rent does the family receive from the Sondermans?
(a) 4 free months.
(b) 3 free months.
(c) 1 free months.
(d) 2 free months.
5. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
6. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
(a) Nels' wages.
(b) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
(c) Mama's Bank Account.
(d) The Little Bank.
7. What happens the same day the family moves to the Steiner Street house?
(a) Mama gives birth to a new baby.
(b) Papa leaves the family.
(c) Uncle Chris dies.
(d) The girls start at a new school.
8. What does Mama want to buy with the money from the check?
(a) Books for the children.
(c) A new coat.
(d) A new house.
9. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
(a) To give Nels his own room.
(b) To make room since the aunts visit.
(c) To make room for a renter.
(d) To redecorate the room.
10. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
(a) The narrator.
11. What activity do Christine and the narrator miss doing when they move to their new home?
(a) Jumping rope.
(b) Roller skating.
(c) Singing in the choir.
12. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) A gunshot wound.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) An ear infection.
(d) Food poisoning.
13. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
14. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(a) Physical Education.
15. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
2. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
3. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
4. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
5. What does Nels do the night the boys get into trouble for breaking into a store?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)