|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) A turkey sandwich.
(d) Two cups of coffee.
2. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
3. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
(a) She always has fresh cake to eat.
(b) They can play with makeup.
(c) The girls can read magazines.
(d) They can see a baby.
4. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 9 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 10 days.
5. Why is Katrin upset with her classmates during the reception?
(a) They call her stupid.
(b) They make fun of her for the food she brings.
(c) They say her Mama has a funny accent.
(d) They make fun of her outfit.
6. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
(a) The silver broach and coin collection.
(b) The bridal chest and drinking horn.
(c) The drinking horn and coin collection.
(d) The silver broach and bridal chest.
7. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
(c) The narrator.
8. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
(a) Christine is pretty.
(b) Chrsitine does not care what the other girls think of her.
(c) Christine knows what is proper.
(d) Christine is smart.
9. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
10. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(a) The attic.
(d) The study.
11. What place does Katrin get in the contest she entered?
(a) 1st place.
(b) 4th place.
(c) 45th place.
(d) 25th place.
12. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
13. What item does Katrin take from the boarder?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A stack of magazines.
(c) Rent money.
(d) A silver necklace.
14. What is the name of Katrin's teacher?
(a) Miss Scanlon.
(b) Miss Lyons.
(c) Miss Grimes.
(d) Miss Karboe.
15. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A check.
(c) Her novel.
(d) A necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
2. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
3. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
4. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
5. How is Arne related to the narrator?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)