|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
(a) It keeps one warm.
(b) It is good for the stomach.
(c) It is for good health.
(d) It adds years to one's life.
2. What does the unexpected classroom visitor want from Katrin?
(a) To translate a letter.
(b) To take her home.
(c) To help her with homework.
(d) To give her money.
3. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) Food poisoning.
(b) A gunshot wound.
(c) An ear infection.
(d) A broken arm.
4. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
(a) Cucumber sandwiches.
(d) Currant cake.
5. Who leaves Mama a check?
(a) Aunt Sigrid.
(c) Uncle Chris.
(d) Mr. Hyde.
6. What is the new baby's name?
7. Why is Katrin upset with her classmates during the reception?
(a) They say her Mama has a funny accent.
(b) They make fun of her outfit.
(c) They make fun of her for the food she brings.
(d) They call her stupid.
8. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
(a) To redecorate the room.
(b) To give Nels his own room.
(c) To make room for a renter.
(d) To make room since the aunts visit.
9. Which item does Mama not count out money for?
(d) Items for the children.
10. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Mrs. Winford.
(b) Mr. Winford.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Miss Grimes.
11. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
(b) They are siblings.
(c) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
(d) They are cousins.
12. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
(a) Christine becomes ill.
(b) The strike.
(c) Papa leaves the family.
(d) Nels is arrested.
13. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A fur coat.
(d) A silver tea service.
14. How does Miss Durant like to eat her vegetables?
15. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
(a) She has to retake the class over the summer.
(b) She has to copy the lessons in the writing brochures.
(c) She has to give away the writing brochures.
(d) She has to give up her dream of becoming a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
2. Why does Katrin not like Miss Grimes?
3. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
4. What does Mama want to buy with the money from the check?
5. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)