|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
(a) Bread and water.
(c) Two cups of coffee.
(d) A turkey sandwich.
2. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
(b) Rain gear.
3. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The science room is locked.
(b) There are no pots to boil water in.
(c) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
(d) The stove is not working.
4. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
(a) Papa leaves the family.
(b) Christine becomes ill.
(c) Nels is arrested.
(d) The strike.
5. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
(a) Last one.
(b) Little friend.
(c) Light heart.
(d) Little man.
6. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She keeps leaving parts out.
(b) Her stories are boring.
(c) She never tells an ending to her stories.
(d) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
7. Who leaves Mama a check?
(a) Mr. Hyde.
(c) Aunt Sigrid.
(d) Uncle Chris.
8. What does the family plan to do with the Steiner Street home?
(a) Let all the aunts move in.
(b) Remodel it and sell it for a profit.
(c) Make it a boarding house.
(d) Sell eggs and milk out of the basement.
9. What does the unexpected classroom visitor want from Katrin?
(a) To translate a letter.
(b) To give her money.
(c) To help her with homework.
(d) To take her home.
10. What does Dagmar help Mama do in their new home?
(a) Mop the floors.
(b) Milk the goats.
(c) Plant a vegetable garden.
(d) Wash the clothes.
11. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Miss Grimes.
(b) Mr. Winford.
(c) Mrs. Winford.
(d) Mr. Smith.
12. What is the name of Katrin's teacher?
(a) Miss Karboe.
(b) Miss Lyons.
(c) Miss Scanlon.
(d) Miss Grimes.
13. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(b) The study.
(d) The attic.
14. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A crockpot.
(b) A candle.
(c) A warming dish.
(d) A chafing dish.
15. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
(d) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
2. What does Mama really do with the check?
3. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
4. What does Mama bring to school in the end of Chapter 8?
5. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)