|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He steals heirlooms from families.
(c) He is a professional gambler.
(d) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
2. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
(a) Chrsitine does not care what the other girls think of her.
(b) Christine is pretty.
(c) Christine is smart.
(d) Christine knows what is proper.
3. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(d) The newspaper.
4. What is the name of Katrin's only classmate who is nice to her?
5. What item acts as a sense of security for the children?
(a) Papa's wages.
(b) Mama's bank account.
(c) Nels' story telling.
(d) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
6. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A fur coat.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) A silver tea service.
7. What does Mama decide to make for Katrin's school reception?
(a) Meat balls.
(b) Fish stew.
8. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
(a) Papa leaves the family.
(b) Christine becomes ill.
(c) The strike.
(d) Nels is arrested.
9. How does Miss Durant like to eat her vegetables?
10. Which character demands her dowry money back from Uncle Chris' estate?
(a) Aunt Marta.
(b) Aunt Sigrid.
(c) Aunt Trina.
11. Who leaves Mama a check?
(a) Aunt Sigrid.
(b) Uncle Chris.
(c) Mr. Hyde.
12. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
(a) The auditorium.
(b) The furnace room.
(c) The science classroom.
(d) The school office.
13. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
(a) He gives it to the family in his will.
(b) He gambles everything away and lost.
(c) He puts it away for the childrens' education.
(d) He helps sick children overcome disabilities.
14. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
15. What does Nels do the night the boys get into trouble for breaking into a store?
(a) Stays home to listen to a story.
(b) Works to make extra money for the family.
(c) Helps Papa with household chores.
(d) Takes Christine to the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher send Katrin to find at the end of chapter 6?
2. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
3. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
4. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
5. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)