|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) Her stories are boring.
(b) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
(c) She never tells an ending to her stories.
(d) She keeps leaving parts out.
2. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) The attic.
(b) The garage.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Her bedroom.
3. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
(a) Little friend.
(b) Light heart.
(c) Last one.
(d) Little man.
4. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
(a) She has to copy the lessons in the writing brochures.
(b) She has to give up her dream of becoming a writer.
(c) She has to give away the writing brochures.
(d) She has to retake the class over the summer.
5. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
(a) Writing is her passion.
(b) She knows the girls at school hate her.
(c) She feels sick to her stomach.
(d) She knows she will be caught for doing something bad.
6. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
7. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) A silver tea service.
8. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Miss Grimes.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Winford.
(d) Mrs. Winford.
9. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
10. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
(a) The Little Bank.
(b) Papa's wages.
(c) Uncle Chris lets her borrow money.
(d) Mama's Bank Account.
11. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
12. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A candle.
(b) A warming dish.
(c) A chafing dish.
(d) A crockpot.
13. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He is African American.
(b) He has a black mustache.
(c) He wears all black.
(d) He smokes black tobacco.
14. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Christine's broken arm.
(b) Nels' high school.
(c) Groceries for the aunts.
(d) The narrator's writing materials.
15. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He is a professional gambler.
(b) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(c) He is a traveling salesman.
(d) He steals heirlooms from families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher send Katrin to find at the end of chapter 6?
2. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
3. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
4. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
5. What is the new baby's name?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)