|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
(b) She keeps leaving parts out.
(c) Her stories are boring.
(d) She never tells an ending to her stories.
2. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He is African American.
(b) He wears all black.
(c) He has a black mustache.
(d) He smokes black tobacco.
3. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(b) The attic.
(d) The study.
4. What is the new baby's name?
5. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
6. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
7. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) They are siblings.
(b) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
(c) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
(d) They are cousins.
8. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
(b) Living room couch.
(c) Back porch.
(d) Kitchen table.
9. What does the unexpected classroom visitor want from Katrin?
(a) To take her home.
(b) To translate a letter.
(c) To help her with homework.
(d) To give her money.
10. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(d) Miss Scanlan.
11. Where does the family move when they left the Castro Street house?
(a) A chicken ranch across the bay.
(b) Their family home in Norway.
(c) Uncle Chris' old house.
(d) A boarding house on Steiner Street.
12. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
(a) The Little Bank.
(b) Uncle Chris lets her borrow money.
(c) Papa's wages.
(d) Mama's Bank Account.
13. What major city does the family live in?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
14. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
15. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
(a) Meat balls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
2. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
3. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
4. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
5. Which items hang proudly on the wall in Mama and Papa's bedroom?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)