|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama want to buy with the money from the check?
(b) A new coat.
(c) Books for the children.
(d) A new house.
2. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
(a) The school office.
(b) The science classroom.
(c) The furnace room.
(d) The auditorium.
3. How many free months of rent does the family receive from the Sondermans?
(a) 2 free months.
(b) 4 free months.
(c) 1 free months.
(d) 3 free months.
4. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
(d) They are siblings.
5. Who forgets to turn on the heat in the school building during the reception?
(b) The janitress.
(c) Miss Grimes.
6. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She keeps leaving parts out.
(b) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
(c) Her stories are boring.
(d) She never tells an ending to her stories.
7. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(c) The newspaper.
8. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He wears all black.
(b) He is African American.
(c) He has a black mustache.
(d) He smokes black tobacco.
9. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A chafing dish.
(b) A crockpot.
(c) A candle.
(d) A warming dish.
10. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
(a) Mama's Bank Account.
(b) Uncle Chris lets her borrow money.
(c) The Little Bank.
(d) Papa's wages.
11. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
(d) The narrator.
12. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) The attic.
(d) The garage.
13. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
(a) Chrsitine does not care what the other girls think of her.
(b) Christine knows what is proper.
(c) Christine is pretty.
(d) Christine is smart.
14. What is the name of the first boarder the family had at the Steiner Street house?
(a) Miss Grimes.
(b) Miss Durant.
(c) Mister Ann.
(d) Miss Karboe.
15. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
2. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
3. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
4. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
5. What major city does the family live in?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)