|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
(a) The girls can read magazines.
(b) She always has fresh cake to eat.
(c) They can see a baby.
(d) They can play with makeup.
2. What major city does the family live in?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
3. What does the family plan to do with the Steiner Street home?
(a) Let all the aunts move in.
(b) Sell eggs and milk out of the basement.
(c) Make it a boarding house.
(d) Remodel it and sell it for a profit.
4. Which items hang proudly on the wall in Mama and Papa's bedroom?
(a) A Norwegian flag.
(b) A map of San Francisco.
(c) The children's birth certificates.
(d) The family portraits.
5. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
(d) The narrator.
6. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Miss Grimes.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mrs. Winford.
(d) Mr. Winford.
7. Why is Katrin upset with her classmates during the reception?
(a) They make fun of her for the food she brings.
(b) They say her Mama has a funny accent.
(c) They call her stupid.
(d) They make fun of her outfit.
8. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(c) Miss Scanlan.
9. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
(a) He puts it away for the childrens' education.
(b) He gambles everything away and lost.
(c) He helps sick children overcome disabilities.
(d) He gives it to the family in his will.
10. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
11. Who leaves Mama a check?
(a) Aunt Sigrid.
(b) Mr. Hyde.
(d) Uncle Chris.
12. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) There are no pots to boil water in.
(b) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
(c) The science room is locked.
(d) The stove is not working.
13. What does Mama want to buy with the money from the check?
(a) Books for the children.
(b) A new house.
(d) A new coat.
14. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
15. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(a) Physical Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
2. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
3. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
4. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
5. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)