|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major city does the family live in?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
2. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
(a) Currant cake.
(b) Cucumber sandwiches.
3. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
4. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
(a) Writing is her passion.
(b) She feels sick to her stomach.
(c) She knows the girls at school hate her.
(d) She knows she will be caught for doing something bad.
5. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(b) He is a professional gambler.
(c) He is a traveling salesman.
(d) He steals heirlooms from families.
6. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
(a) Write an essay.
(b) Sell her rollerskates.
(c) Finish Christine's homework.
(d) Babysit her neighbors.
7. What does Mama bring to school in the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Water and cookies.
(c) Coffee and hot chocolate.
(d) Wine and soda.
8. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(a) Miss Scanlan.
9. What activity do Christine and the narrator miss doing when they move to their new home?
(a) Jumping rope.
(b) Roller skating.
(d) Singing in the choir.
10. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
11. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
(a) The Scottish man.
(b) The German.
(c) The black Norwegian.
(d) An old man.
12. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 9 days.
13. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(c) The newspaper.
14. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Her novel.
(b) A necklace.
(d) A check.
15. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
2. Why does Katrin not like Miss Grimes?
3. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
4. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
5. What item acts as a sense of security for the children?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)