|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the family move when they left the Castro Street house?
(a) A chicken ranch across the bay.
(b) Their family home in Norway.
(c) Uncle Chris' old house.
(d) A boarding house on Steiner Street.
2. Why does Katrin not like Miss Grimes?
(a) She is late for their meeting.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She is oriental.
(d) She is racist.
3. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
4. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
5. Where does Mama put the wine during the reception?
(a) In Miss Grimes' office.
(b) Under the table.
(c) In her purse.
(d) In the garbage can.
6. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
(a) Back porch.
(b) Living room couch.
(c) Kitchen table.
7. Which character is with Uncle Chris when he passes away?
(d) Aunt Trina.
8. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Nels' high school.
(b) Groceries for the aunts.
(c) The narrator's writing materials.
(d) Christine's broken arm.
9. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
(a) Finish Christine's homework.
(b) Write an essay.
(c) Sell her rollerskates.
(d) Babysit her neighbors.
10. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
(a) Light heart.
(b) Little friend.
(c) Last one.
(d) Little man.
11. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 5 days.
12. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
(a) Refuses to speak to her for a week.
(b) Helps her find a job to earn the money.
(c) Gives it to her since writing is her dream.
(d) Makes her do extra chores for the money.
13. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
(c) Rain gear.
14. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
15. What is the name of Katrin's teacher?
(a) Miss Scanlon.
(b) Miss Lyons.
(c) Miss Grimes.
(d) Miss Karboe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
2. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
3. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
4. What does Mama really do with the check?
5. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)