|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
(b) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are siblings.
2. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
(a) Two cups of coffee.
(c) A turkey sandwich.
(d) Bread and water.
3. What place does Katrin get in the contest she entered?
(a) 1st place.
(b) 45th place.
(c) 25th place.
(d) 4th place.
4. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She keeps leaving parts out.
(b) She never tells an ending to her stories.
(c) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
(d) Her stories are boring.
5. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
(a) He gives it to the family in his will.
(b) He puts it away for the childrens' education.
(c) He helps sick children overcome disabilities.
(d) He gambles everything away and lost.
6. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
7. What happens the same day the family moves to the Steiner Street house?
(a) Uncle Chris dies.
(b) The girls start at a new school.
(c) Mama gives birth to a new baby.
(d) Papa leaves the family.
8. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The stove is not working.
(b) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
(c) The science room is locked.
(d) There are no pots to boil water in.
9. What does Mama tell Hester, Mary, and the rest of the girls to entice them to come to Katrin's house?
(a) The girls can read magazines.
(b) They can see a baby.
(c) She always has fresh cake to eat.
(d) They can play with makeup.
10. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
11. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Christine's broken arm.
(b) Nels' high school.
(c) Groceries for the aunts.
(d) The narrator's writing materials.
12. What does Dagmar help Mama do in their new home?
(a) Wash the clothes.
(b) Plant a vegetable garden.
(c) Mop the floors.
(d) Milk the goats.
13. What does Nels do the night the boys get into trouble for breaking into a store?
(a) Works to make extra money for the family.
(b) Helps Papa with household chores.
(c) Takes Christine to the doctor.
(d) Stays home to listen to a story.
14. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A chafing dish.
(b) A candle.
(c) A crockpot.
(d) A warming dish.
15. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(a) The attic.
(b) The study.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forgets to turn on the heat in the school building during the reception?
2. Which items hang proudly on the wall in Mama and Papa's bedroom?
3. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
4. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
5. Which item does Mama not count out money for?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)