|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
(c) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
(d) They are siblings.
2. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(a) The newspaper.
3. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
(a) Rain gear.
4. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The garage.
(c) The attic.
(d) Her bedroom.
5. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
(a) The Little Bank.
(b) Nels' wages.
(c) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
(d) Mama's Bank Account.
6. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A silver tea service.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(d) A fur coat.
7. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Christine's broken arm.
(b) Groceries for the aunts.
(c) Nels' high school.
(d) The narrator's writing materials.
8. What is the new baby's name?
9. In Chapter 1, the narrator recalls the family home on which street?
10. How many free months of rent does the family receive from the Sondermans?
(a) 4 free months.
(b) 2 free months.
(c) 3 free months.
(d) 1 free months.
11. What is the name of the first boarder the family had at the Steiner Street house?
(a) Miss Grimes.
(b) Miss Durant.
(c) Mister Ann.
(d) Miss Karboe.
12. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
(a) Helps her find a job to earn the money.
(b) Gives it to her since writing is her dream.
(c) Makes her do extra chores for the money.
(d) Refuses to speak to her for a week.
13. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She never tells an ending to her stories.
(b) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
(c) She keeps leaving parts out.
(d) Her stories are boring.
14. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
(a) Back porch.
(b) Living room couch.
(c) Kitchen table.
15. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(a) Physical Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character demands her dowry money back from Uncle Chris' estate?
2. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
3. What item acts as a sense of security for the children?
4. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
5. What is the name of Katrin's only classmate who is nice to her?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)