|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
(a) Light heart.
(b) Last one.
(c) Little man.
(d) Little friend.
2. What does Mr. Hyde leave for the children?
3. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A silver tea service.
(b) A fur coat.
(d) A diamond necklace.
4. What does the family plan to do with the Steiner Street home?
(a) Make it a boarding house.
(b) Remodel it and sell it for a profit.
(c) Let all the aunts move in.
(d) Sell eggs and milk out of the basement.
5. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
(a) 12 rooms.
(b) 4 rooms.
(c) 6 rooms.
(d) 11 rooms.
6. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
(a) Nels is arrested.
(b) Papa leaves the family.
(c) Christine becomes ill.
(d) The strike.
7. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) The attic.
(b) The garage.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) The kitchen.
8. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
(a) The auditorium.
(b) The school office.
(c) The furnace room.
(d) The science classroom.
9. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(b) The study.
(d) The attic.
10. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
(b) Two cups of coffee.
(c) A turkey sandwich.
(d) Bread and water.
11. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
(a) Everything is fine.
(b) Is good.
(c) Praise the Lord.
(d) God bless us.
12. What place does Katrin get in the contest she entered?
(a) 1st place.
(b) 45th place.
(c) 4th place.
(d) 25th place.
13. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
(a) The bridal chest and drinking horn.
(b) The drinking horn and coin collection.
(c) The silver broach and bridal chest.
(d) The silver broach and coin collection.
14. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
(a) She feels sick to her stomach.
(b) She knows the girls at school hate her.
(c) She knows she will be caught for doing something bad.
(d) Writing is her passion.
15. What is the name of the school the girls attend?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Mama a check?
2. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
3. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
4. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
5. Why won't the doctor let Mama go see her child after the operation?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)