|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character demands her dowry money back from Uncle Chris' estate?
(a) Aunt Marta.
(b) Aunt Sigrid.
(c) Aunt Trina.
2. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(a) Physical Education.
3. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He is African American.
(b) He wears all black.
(c) He has a black mustache.
(d) He smokes black tobacco.
4. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
5. What does the teacher send Katrin to find at the end of chapter 6?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A book.
(c) A pencil.
(d) A mop.
6. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The garage.
(c) The attic.
(d) The kitchen.
7. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The stove is not working.
(b) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
(c) There are no pots to boil water in.
(d) The science room is locked.
8. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
(a) Uncle Chris lets her borrow money.
(b) The Little Bank.
(c) Mama's Bank Account.
(d) Papa's wages.
9. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Mr. Winford.
(b) Miss Grimes.
(c) Mrs. Winford.
(d) Mr. Smith.
10. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
(a) He helps sick children overcome disabilities.
(b) He puts it away for the childrens' education.
(c) He gambles everything away and lost.
(d) He gives it to the family in his will.
11. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Tears it up.
(b) Takes it to the bank.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
12. What does Mama decide to make for Katrin's school reception?
(a) Meat balls.
(b) Fish stew.
13. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
(b) They are siblings.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
14. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
(a) Is good.
(b) Everything is fine.
(c) Praise the Lord.
(d) God bless us.
15. How does Mama prefer to clean floors?
(a) Mopping with a floor mop.
(b) Washing with a rag.
(c) Sweeping with a broom.
(d) Scrubbing with a brush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family move when they left the Castro Street house?
2. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
3. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
4. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
5. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)