|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Katrin's special room in the Steiner Street home?
(a) The garage.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) The attic.
2. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Groceries for the aunts.
(b) Nels' high school.
(c) The narrator's writing materials.
(d) Christine's broken arm.
3. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(a) The attic.
(b) The study.
4. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
(a) Helps her find a job to earn the money.
(b) Refuses to speak to her for a week.
(c) Gives it to her since writing is her dream.
(d) Makes her do extra chores for the money.
5. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
(a) The science classroom.
(b) The school office.
(c) The furnace room.
(d) The auditorium.
6. Which character is with Uncle Chris when he passes away?
(a) Aunt Trina.
7. Who forgets to turn on the heat in the school building during the reception?
(a) The janitress.
(b) Miss Grimes.
8. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(c) Miss Scanlan.
9. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She never tells an ending to her stories.
(b) She keeps leaving parts out.
(c) Her stories are boring.
(d) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
10. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
11. What does Dagmar help Mama do in their new home?
(a) Plant a vegetable garden.
(b) Mop the floors.
(c) Wash the clothes.
(d) Milk the goats.
12. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(a) Physical Education.
13. Which fruit does Uncle Chris demand that the children eat more of?
14. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
(d) The narrator.
15. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(c) He is a professional gambler.
(d) He steals heirlooms from families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
2. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
3. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
4. What does Mama have for lunch in Chapter 3?
5. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)