|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama decide to make for Katrin's school reception?
(a) Meat balls.
(d) Fish stew.
2. How many days of praying does the Catholic Novena include?
(a) 16 days.
(b) 9 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 10 days.
3. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(a) Physical Education.
4. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
(a) Last one.
(b) Light heart.
(c) Little friend.
(d) Little man.
5. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) A broken arm.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) An ear infection.
(d) A gunshot wound.
6. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
(a) The Scottish man.
(b) The German.
(c) An old man.
(d) The black Norwegian.
7. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
(a) Meat balls.
8. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
(a) She pretends to be part of the cleaning staff.
(b) She pretends to be a nurse.
(c) She pretends to deliver a package.
(d) She sneaks back when no one is watching.
9. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
10. In Chapter 1, the family needs extra money to pay for which of the following?
(a) Groceries for the aunts.
(b) Christine's broken arm.
(c) Nels' high school.
(d) The narrator's writing materials.
11. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The stove is not working.
(b) There are no pots to boil water in.
(c) The science room is locked.
(d) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
12. Which items hang proudly on the wall in Mama and Papa's bedroom?
(a) The children's birth certificates.
(b) A Norwegian flag.
(c) A map of San Francisco.
(d) The family portraits.
13. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
(d) Rain gear.
14. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A warming dish.
(b) A chafing dish.
(c) A candle.
(d) A crockpot.
15. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
(a) Praise the Lord.
(b) God bless us.
(c) Is good.
(d) Everything is fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Chris spend his money?
2. What place does Katrin get in the contest she entered?
3. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
4. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
5. How does Miss Durant like to eat her vegetables?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)