|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
(a) She sneaks back when no one is watching.
(b) She pretends to be part of the cleaning staff.
(c) She pretends to be a nurse.
(d) She pretends to deliver a package.
2. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(d) The newspaper.
3. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He steals heirlooms from families.
(b) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(c) He is a professional gambler.
(d) He is a traveling salesman.
4. Where does the family move when they left the Castro Street house?
(a) A boarding house on Steiner Street.
(b) Their family home in Norway.
(c) A chicken ranch across the bay.
(d) Uncle Chris' old house.
5. What does the teacher send Katrin to find at the end of chapter 6?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A mop.
(d) A book.
6. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
(a) Papa's wages.
(b) Uncle Chris lets her borrow money.
(c) Mama's Bank Account.
(d) The Little Bank.
7. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
(a) Christine becomes ill.
(b) Papa leaves the family.
(c) The strike.
(d) Nels is arrested.
8. Which character does Uncle Chris sing to?
(d) The narrator.
9. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
10. What does Nels do the night the boys get into trouble for breaking into a store?
(a) Helps Papa with household chores.
(b) Takes Christine to the doctor.
(c) Stays home to listen to a story.
(d) Works to make extra money for the family.
11. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 9 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 5 days.
12. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
(b) The study.
(d) The attic.
13. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
14. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
15. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
(d) Physical Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
2. How many days of praying does the Catholic Novena include?
3. What does Mr. Hyde leave for the children?
4. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
5. What does the unexpected classroom visitor want from Katrin?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)