|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katrin mean when she says, "It is something within me, Mama. Right here!"?
(a) She knows the girls at school hate her.
(b) She feels sick to her stomach.
(c) Writing is her passion.
(d) She knows she will be caught for doing something bad.
2. Why does Katrin not like Miss Grimes?
(a) She is oriental.
(b) She is late for their meeting.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She is racist.
3. How does Mama prefer to clean floors?
(a) Scrubbing with a brush.
(b) Mopping with a floor mop.
(c) Sweeping with a broom.
(d) Washing with a rag.
4. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(d) The newspaper.
5. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
6. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The science room is locked.
(b) The stove is not working.
(c) There are no pots to boil water in.
(d) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
7. What item acts as a sense of security for the children?
(a) Nels' story telling.
(b) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
(c) Mama's bank account.
(d) Papa's wages.
8. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) Food poisoning.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) An ear infection.
(d) A gunshot wound.
9. What is the name of the school the girls attend?
10. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Takes it to the bank.
(d) Tears it up.
11. What does the teacher send Katrin to find at the end of chapter 6?
(a) A book.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A mop.
(d) A new dress.
12. Which item does Mama not count out money for?
(a) Items for the children.
13. Which character is with Uncle Chris when he passes away?
(a) Aunt Trina.
14. Why won't the doctor let Mama go see her child after the operation?
(a) It is against hospital rules.
(b) The child is not going to live.
(c) Mama is upset and he is afraid she will scare the child.
(d) Mama can not afford to pay the hospital bill.
15. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
(a) Meat balls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
2. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
3. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
4. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
5. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)