|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nels do the night the boys get into trouble for breaking into a store?
(a) Works to make extra money for the family.
(b) Takes Christine to the doctor.
(c) Stays home to listen to a story.
(d) Helps Papa with household chores.
2. How does Mama finally sneak in to see her child at the hospital?
(a) She pretends to be a nurse.
(b) She pretends to be part of the cleaning staff.
(c) She pretends to deliver a package.
(d) She sneaks back when no one is watching.
3. Who helps Nels with homework?
(a) Mr. Hyde.
(d) The narrator.
4. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
(a) 12 rooms.
(b) 6 rooms.
(c) 4 rooms.
(d) 11 rooms.
5. Why won't the doctor let Mama go see her child after the operation?
(a) Mama is upset and he is afraid she will scare the child.
(b) It is against hospital rules.
(c) Mama can not afford to pay the hospital bill.
(d) The child is not going to live.
6. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
(a) The auditorium.
(b) The school office.
(c) The science classroom.
(d) The furnace room.
7. Which item does Mama not count out money for?
(d) Items for the children.
8. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Tears it up.
(b) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
(c) Takes it to the bank.
(d) Burns it.
9. How is Katrin going to keep the food hot for the reception?
(a) A warming dish.
(b) A candle.
(c) A chafing dish.
(d) A crockpot.
10. What does the unexpected classroom visitor want from Katrin?
(a) To help her with homework.
(b) To translate a letter.
(c) To take her home.
(d) To give her money.
11. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
(b) The narrator.
12. Why is Katrin jealous of Christine while she waits at the reception?
(a) Chrsitine does not care what the other girls think of her.
(b) Christine knows what is proper.
(c) Christine is smart.
(d) Christine is pretty.
13. What is the new baby's name?
14. What is Katrin's punishment for her F?
(a) She has to give away the writing brochures.
(b) She has to copy the lessons in the writing brochures.
(c) She has to retake the class over the summer.
(d) She has to give up her dream of becoming a writer.
15. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
2. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
3. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
4. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
5. What is the name of Katrin's teacher?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)