|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the shared name of all three of Carmelita's brothers?
2. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He is a professional gambler.
(c) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(d) He steals heirlooms from families.
3. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
4. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
(a) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
(b) The Little Bank.
(c) Nels' wages.
(d) Mama's Bank Account.
5. What does Mama do when Katrin explains that she needs money?
(a) Gives it to her since writing is her dream.
(b) Refuses to speak to her for a week.
(c) Helps her find a job to earn the money.
(d) Makes her do extra chores for the money.
6. The narrator, Katrin, decides to change her name to what?
7. Why does Katrin not like Miss Grimes?
(a) She is oriental.
(b) She is late for their meeting.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She is racist.
8. What is the name of the first boarder the family had at the Steiner Street house?
(a) Miss Durant.
(b) Miss Grimes.
(c) Mister Ann.
(d) Miss Karboe.
9. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
(a) Sell her rollerskates.
(b) Finish Christine's homework.
(c) Write an essay.
(d) Babysit her neighbors.
10. What place does Katrin get in the contest she entered?
(a) 1st place.
(b) 4th place.
(c) 45th place.
(d) 25th place.
11. Which character demands her dowry money back from Uncle Chris' estate?
(a) Aunt Trina.
(c) Aunt Sigrid.
(d) Aunt Marta.
12. Who forgets to turn on the heat in the school building during the reception?
(b) Miss Grimes.
(c) The janitress.
13. Who tells Katrin she is "getting away with murder"?
14. How does Mama prefer to clean floors?
(a) Washing with a rag.
(b) Sweeping with a broom.
(c) Mopping with a floor mop.
(d) Scrubbing with a brush.
15. Where does Mama put the wine during the reception?
(a) In the garbage can.
(b) In her purse.
(c) Under the table.
(d) In Miss Grimes' office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
2. What major city does the family live in?
3. What does the first place winner for the contest Katrin entered receive as the prize?
4. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
5. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)