|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Katrin see the janitress?
(a) The furnace room.
(b) The science classroom.
(c) The auditorium.
(d) The school office.
2. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
3. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) There are no pots to boil water in.
(b) The stove is not working.
(c) The science room is locked.
(d) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
4. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Winford.
(c) Mrs. Winford.
(d) Miss Grimes.
5. What does Mr. Hyde leave for the children?
6. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He is African American.
(b) He smokes black tobacco.
(c) He has a black mustache.
(d) He wears all black.
7. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(d) Miss Scanlan.
8. What happens the same day the family moves to the Steiner Street house?
(a) Mama gives birth to a new baby.
(b) The girls start at a new school.
(c) Papa leaves the family.
(d) Uncle Chris dies.
9. What item does Hester plan to bring to the reception?
(a) A fur coat.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) A silver tea service.
10. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Tears it up.
(b) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
(c) Takes it to the bank.
(d) Burns it.
11. What is the phrase that Mama uses to let everyone know everything is going fine?
(a) Is good.
(b) Praise the Lord.
(c) Everything is fine.
(d) God bless us.
12. What does Christine bring to school to give Katrin during the reception?
(b) Rain gear.
13. How is Arne related to the narrator?
(a) Arne is the narrator's nephew.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) Arne is the narrator's uncle.
14. What does Katrin do to try to get the money she needs to pay for the writing brochures?
(a) Babysit her neighbors.
(b) Finish Christine's homework.
(c) Write an essay.
(d) Sell her rollerskates.
15. How many rooms does the Steiner Street house have?
(a) 6 rooms.
(b) 11 rooms.
(c) 4 rooms.
(d) 12 rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family plan to do with the Steiner Street home?
2. How many days of praying does the Catholic Novena include?
3. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of Christine's hiding place?
5. What class does Katrin receive an F in?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)