|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
(b) There are no pots to boil water in.
(c) The science room is locked.
(d) The stove is not working.
2. What is Uncle Chris' nickname among family members?
(a) The German.
(b) An old man.
(c) The black Norwegian.
(d) The Scottish man.
3. This event causes finances to be low at the beginning of Chapter 2.
(a) Christine becomes ill.
(b) The strike.
(c) Papa leaves the family.
(d) Nels is arrested.
4. Why does this child need to have an operation?
(a) A gunshot wound.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) An ear infection.
5. What forbidden item does Carmelita bring to the reception?
6. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(a) Miss Scanlan.
7. Who is the special guest Winford was expecting?
(a) Mrs. Winford.
(b) Mr. Winford.
(c) Miss Grimes.
(d) Mr. Smith.
8. Why won't the doctor let Mama go see her child after the operation?
(a) Mama can not afford to pay the hospital bill.
(b) Mama is upset and he is afraid she will scare the child.
(c) The child is not going to live.
(d) It is against hospital rules.
9. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
(a) The silver broach and coin collection.
(b) The drinking horn and coin collection.
(c) The bridal chest and drinking horn.
(d) The silver broach and bridal chest.
10. What makes Mama's storytelling worse than normal in Chapter 3?
(a) She keeps leaving parts out.
(b) She tells her stories in Norwegian.
(c) She never tells an ending to her stories.
(d) Her stories are boring.
11. What does the narrator try to give Mama at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) A check.
(c) A necklace.
(d) Her novel.
12. Where does Mama get the money to pay for the operation?
(a) Uncle Chris lets her borrow money.
(b) Papa's wages.
(c) The Little Bank.
(d) Mama's Bank Account.
13. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
(a) The Little Bank.
(b) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
(c) Nels' wages.
(d) Mama's Bank Account.
14. Who leaves Mama a check?
(a) Mr. Hyde.
(c) Uncle Chris.
(d) Aunt Sigrid.
15. What does the unexpected classroom visitor want from Katrin?
(a) To take her home.
(b) To help her with homework.
(c) To translate a letter.
(d) To give her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Katrin's only classmate who is nice to her?
2. Who comes into Katrin's classroom unexpectedly?
3. What does Mama bring to school in the end of Chapter 8?
4. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
5. What does Carmelita say to defend the item she brought to the reception?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)