|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
(a) He steals heirlooms from families.
(b) He is a professional gambler.
(c) He restores old farms and sells them for profit.
(d) He is a traveling salesman.
2. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Tears it up.
(b) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Takes it to the bank.
3. How does Mama prefer to clean floors?
(a) Mopping with a floor mop.
(b) Washing with a rag.
(c) Sweeping with a broom.
(d) Scrubbing with a brush.
4. Which item is not being brought to the reception?
(c) Cucumber sandwiches.
(d) Currant cake.
5. What happens the same day the family moves to the Steiner Street house?
(a) Papa leaves the family.
(b) Mama gives birth to a new baby.
(c) Uncle Chris dies.
(d) The girls start at a new school.
6. Where does Mama count the family's money every week?
(a) Living room couch.
(c) Back porch.
(d) Kitchen table.
7. In Chapter 1, the narrator recalls the family home on which street?
8. How many days does Katrin have with the writing materials before she gets charged?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 10 days.
9. Who helps Nels with homework?
(a) The narrator.
(c) Mr. Hyde.
10. Who is the chairman of the reception refreshment team?
(a) Miss Scanlan.
11. How much are the writing materials Katrin wants?
12. What does Mama want to buy with the money from the check?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A new house.
(d) Books for the children.
13. Why can't any of the girls boil water for the tea during the reception?
(a) The stove is not working.
(b) The science room is locked.
(c) There are no pots to boil water in.
(d) Mrs. Winford does not like tea.
14. Why does Mama clear out the front room?
(a) To make room since the aunts visit.
(b) To give Nels his own room.
(c) To make room for a renter.
(d) To redecorate the room.
15. Who prays every morning so Katrin will hopefully get the money she needs?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many free months of rent does the family receive from the Sondermans?
2. Which item does Mama not count out money for?
3. Which heirlooms does Uncle Chris sell without telling anyone?
4. What item does Katrin take from the boarder?
5. What item does Hester ask to try as the women pack up the reception?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)