|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Papa decide to give up to save money?
(c) The newspaper.
2. Why does Papa call Uncle Chris the "black Norwegian"?
(a) He is African American.
(b) He wears all black.
(c) He smokes black tobacco.
(d) He has a black mustache.
3. Who helps Nels with homework?
(b) Mr. Hyde.
(d) The narrator.
4. What item acts as a sense of security for the children?
(a) Nels' story telling.
(b) Papa's wages.
(c) Mama's bank account.
(d) Aunt Sigrid's extra money.
5. What does Mama really do with the check?
(a) Tears it up.
(b) Takes it to the bank.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Returns it to the person who gave it to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Mama a check?
2. Where does the family take money from to pay for emergencies?
3. Which of the children has an operation in Chapter 3?
4. What does the Norwegian phrase "Lille Ven" mean?
5. How does Uncle Chris make his money?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)