|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
2. What will they be forever?
3. Back to the present time in the hospital, Maggie is undergoing a procedure where what must be dislodged?
4. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
5. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philo feel about Alourdes? Why might she feel this way?
2. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
3. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
4. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
5. What is one of the best stories in this chapter? Why?
6. What understanding does this chapter give us regarding Alourdes and her daughter?
7. How is the similarity described in number 45 significant?
8. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
9. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
10. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in this culture are very strong.
Part 1) Describe Haitian women. How do they compare to women of other cultures? Why might these similarities and differences exist?
Part 2) How do Haitian women compare to Haitian men? Why are their roles designated in this way How do these gender roles compare to other cultures?
Part 3) How have the roles of women changed in Haiti? How does this compare to the changes of how women are viewed in other parts of the world today?
Essay Topic 2
Many God-fearing people believe Vodou practitioners will go to hell.
Part 1) Describe a God-fearing person. How is Aunt Emma a God-fearing person? What is her purpose in this book? What does Mama Lola think about Aunt Emma and other God-fearing people? What does this say about Mama Lola and other Vodou practitioners?
Part 2) Why do many God-fearing people feel this way about Vodou practitioners? Should they feel this way? Why or why not? Mama Lola says she is a Christian. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about those who are Christians and those who are not Christians. What are your own opinions regarding hell? Does hell exist? Should non-Christians be worried? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are many Vodou spirits.
Part 1) Describe four of these spirits. What is the role of each spirit in Vodou culture? How is this connected with the treatment of these spirits by Vodou practitioners?
Part 2) How do Vodou spirits influence the lives of the Haitians? Are they a powerful force in Haitian culture? Why or why not?
Part 3) What spirits or religious entities are influential in other cultures around the world? How are they influential in the U.S.?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)