Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
2. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
3. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
4. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
5. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
Essay Topic 1
There are strong ties between the women in this family.
Part 1) Describe the women in this family. How is their oral history important? How are these women tied to one another? Why is this important?
Part 2) How does Karen become connected with these strong women? Why does she want to create ties with them? Would you want to create ties with them? Would you want to be connected with this family? Why or why not?
Part 3) To whom are you connected? How did this connection come to exist? How important is this connection to you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Much of life in Vodou culture is out of the people's hands.
Part 1) Describe the role of Vodou spirits in Haitian culture. How are they important in everyday life in Haiti? How do these spirits guide Haitians in the decisions they make and the way they behave?
Part 2) Is there concrete evidence in this book that the Haitians are controlled by Vodou spirits? Explain. Are Haitians the only ones who feel their lives are guided by these spirits? Why or why not?
Part 3) Who or what guides the lives of most Americans? How does this compare to the Vodou spirits? How does this affect the lives of most Americans and our country as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
There are four steps in the initiation ritual.
Part 1) What are these four steps? Describe and analyze each step. What is the purpose of each step? How does one step lead to another? What do these steps reveal or reinforce about Vodou?
Part 2) How does this initiation rite compare to rituals found in other religions and organizations? Why do these similarities exist?
Part 3) In what rituals have you participated? Why? How did you feel about these rituals and other religious rituals? Why is ritual important to humans?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)