|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
2. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
3. Alourdes and Maggie have the responsibility of keeping the women of this line, Sina, Philo and beyond, as well as the family spirits, alive with what?
4. This chapter is about the female spirits who belong to the grouping known as ____________.
5. According to the Vodou philosophy, the world is a precarious place, and it is naïve to think what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Karen's marriage to Papa Danbala?
2. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
3. How is the similarity described in number 45 significant?
4. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
5. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
6. Who is important in this chapter? Why is she important in comparison to Alourdes?
7. What do all the women in this family have in common?
8. What is one of the best stories in this chapter? Why?
9. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
10. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many Vodou spirits.
Part 1) Describe four of these spirits. What is the role of each spirit in Vodou culture? How is this connected with the treatment of these spirits by Vodou practitioners?
Part 2) How do Vodou spirits influence the lives of the Haitians? Are they a powerful force in Haitian culture? Why or why not?
Part 3) What spirits or religious entities are influential in other cultures around the world? How are they influential in the U.S.?
Essay Topic 2
An oral tradition is strong in Hatian culture.
Part 1) Describe oral tradition. What constitutes an oral tradition? How is this strong in the Haitian culture? Why is it so strong in the Haitian culture? How is this tied to Vodou?
Part 2) How are oral traditions and histories important in other cultures? How do these cultures compare to the Haitian Vodou cultures? What do all cultures with strong oral traditions have in common? Why?
Part 3) How is oral history important in your own culture? Is it as important as it was in the past? Why or why not? How does increased literacy affect oral traditions?
Essay Topic 3
The roles of men and women are very different in Haitian culture.
Part 1) Describe the roles of men and women in Haitian culture. How are these roles revealed throughout this book? How is Vodou connected to these roles?
Part 2) How does this explain and reinforce the strength of the women in Alourdes' family? How might it also play a part in drawing Karen into Haitian and Vodou culture?
Part 3) What are the roles of men and women in your own culture? How have these roles come about? How do they compare to the roles in Haitian culture?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)