|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
2. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
3. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
4. What does this spirit love?
5. She is seen as the image of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Aunt Emma represent? Why is this important?
2. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
3. What understanding does this chapter give us regarding Alourdes and her daughter?
4. How does Philo feel about Alourdes? Why might she feel this way?
5. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
6. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
7. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
8. Why do the initiates do the answer to number 55 in the cemetery?
9. What do all the women in this family have in common?
10. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of life in Vodou culture is out of the people's hands.
Part 1) Describe the role of Vodou spirits in Haitian culture. How are they important in everyday life in Haiti? How do these spirits guide Haitians in the decisions they make and the way they behave?
Part 2) Is there concrete evidence in this book that the Haitians are controlled by Vodou spirits? Explain. Are Haitians the only ones who feel their lives are guided by these spirits? Why or why not?
Part 3) Who or what guides the lives of most Americans? How does this compare to the Vodou spirits? How does this affect the lives of most Americans and our country as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
The life of a Manbo is difficult.
Part 1) Describe the life of a manbo. How is it a part of Alourdes' family history? How has it affected her family? Is this good or bad? Why?
Part 2) How has the role of the manbo become increasingly necessary in Haitian culture? How does this affect Alourdes and other manbos? What does this also do to Vodou and its importance in Haitian culture?
Part 3) How have changes in our own culture led to more or less emphasis on religion? How is this seen in other cultures as well?
Essay Topic 3
Gede's dominon is the realm of death.
Part 1) Who is Gede? What is his role in Vodou? How important is he in Vodouism? Why? What is his connection to the other Vodou spirits?
Part 2) To whom can Gede be compared? What are the similarities and differences between Gede and this person or spirit? What do these spirits reveal about those who believe in them?
Part 3) What is the female version of Gede? How is she coming into existence? Why is she coming into existence? What does belief in her reveal about Haitian and Vodou culture?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)