|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will they be forever?
2. _________________ is a white woman.
3. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
4. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
5. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
2. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
3. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
4. Compare the focus on morality and sexuality in the Vodou culture as compared the many people in America? How do these differences affect many Americans' views of Vodou?
5. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
6. What understanding does this chapter give us regarding Alourdes and her daughter?
7. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
8. What do all the women in this family have in common?
9. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
10. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karen's involvement in Vodou develops throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe Karen's involvement in Vodou at the beginning of this book? What has drawn her to Mama Lola and the subject of Vodou?
Part 2) How do her feelings regarding Vodou change over the course of the book? What causes these changes? How does this in turn change significant aspects of Karen's life and beliefs?
Part 3) What were your original beliefs regarding Vodou prior to reading this book? How did your views change over the course of reading this book? What led to these changes? How might these changes affect your beliefs regarding other religions and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
The roles of men and women are very different in Haitian culture.
Part 1) Describe the roles of men and women in Haitian culture. How are these roles revealed throughout this book? How is Vodou connected to these roles?
Part 2) How does this explain and reinforce the strength of the women in Alourdes' family? How might it also play a part in drawing Karen into Haitian and Vodou culture?
Part 3) What are the roles of men and women in your own culture? How have these roles come about? How do they compare to the roles in Haitian culture?
Essay Topic 3
Gede's dominon is the realm of death.
Part 1) Who is Gede? What is his role in Vodou? How important is he in Vodouism? Why? What is his connection to the other Vodou spirits?
Part 2) To whom can Gede be compared? What are the similarities and differences between Gede and this person or spirit? What do these spirits reveal about those who believe in them?
Part 3) What is the female version of Gede? How is she coming into existence? Why is she coming into existence? What does belief in her reveal about Haitian and Vodou culture?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)