|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
2. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
3. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
4. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
5. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the focus on morality and sexuality in the Vodou culture as compared the many people in America? How do these differences affect many Americans' views of Vodou?
2. How is the similarity described in number 45 significant?
3. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
4. Who is important in this chapter? Why is she important in comparison to Alourdes?
5. What is significant about Karen's marriage to Papa Danbala?
6. What does this chapter reiterate about the responsibility of serving the spirits?
7. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
8. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
9. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
10. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truth about Vodou is told in this book.
Part 1) Summarize Vodouism. What are the truths about Vodouism? How do these truths compare to your initial thoughts about Vodou?
Part 2) How does Vodouism compare to other religions? What are the reasons for these similarities and differences?
Part 3) How has your opinion and knowledge of Vodou changed throughout the course of this book? How might this influence your opinions of other religions and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
There are strong ties between the women in this family.
Part 1) Describe the women in this family. How is their oral history important? How are these women tied to one another? Why is this important?
Part 2) How does Karen become connected with these strong women? Why does she want to create ties with them? Would you want to create ties with them? Would you want to be connected with this family? Why or why not?
Part 3) To whom are you connected? How did this connection come to exist? How important is this connection to you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Gede's dominon is the realm of death.
Part 1) Who is Gede? What is his role in Vodou? How important is he in Vodouism? Why? What is his connection to the other Vodou spirits?
Part 2) To whom can Gede be compared? What are the similarities and differences between Gede and this person or spirit? What do these spirits reveal about those who believe in them?
Part 3) What is the female version of Gede? How is she coming into existence? Why is she coming into existence? What does belief in her reveal about Haitian and Vodou culture?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)