|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
2. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
3. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
4. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
5. Clement Rapelle, a Haitian man, dreams about a woman named Philomise who lives in a compound called _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Aunt Emma represent? Why is this important?
2. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
3. Who is important in this chapter? Why is she important in comparison to Alourdes?
4. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
5. How does Philo feel about Alourdes? Why might she feel this way?
6. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
7. What do all the women in this family have in common?
8. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
9. What is significant about Karen's marriage to Papa Danbala?
10. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An oral tradition is strong in Hatian culture.
Part 1) Describe oral tradition. What constitutes an oral tradition? How is this strong in the Haitian culture? Why is it so strong in the Haitian culture? How is this tied to Vodou?
Part 2) How are oral traditions and histories important in other cultures? How do these cultures compare to the Haitian Vodou cultures? What do all cultures with strong oral traditions have in common? Why?
Part 3) How is oral history important in your own culture? Is it as important as it was in the past? Why or why not? How does increased literacy affect oral traditions?
Essay Topic 2
The life of a Manbo is difficult.
Part 1) Describe the life of a manbo. How is it a part of Alourdes' family history? How has it affected her family? Is this good or bad? Why?
Part 2) How has the role of the manbo become increasingly necessary in Haitian culture? How does this affect Alourdes and other manbos? What does this also do to Vodou and its importance in Haitian culture?
Part 3) How have changes in our own culture led to more or less emphasis on religion? How is this seen in other cultures as well?
Essay Topic 3
Gede's dominon is the realm of death.
Part 1) Who is Gede? What is his role in Vodou? How important is he in Vodouism? Why? What is his connection to the other Vodou spirits?
Part 2) To whom can Gede be compared? What are the similarities and differences between Gede and this person or spirit? What do these spirits reveal about those who believe in them?
Part 3) What is the female version of Gede? How is she coming into existence? Why is she coming into existence? What does belief in her reveal about Haitian and Vodou culture?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)