|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
2. When do the preparations for the party begin?
3. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
4. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
5. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Karen's marriage to Papa Danbala?
2. What is it like being a manbo? How does Alourdes feel about this?
3. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
4. How are vodou ideals understood? Give an example from the text that supports this. How might a modern-day American reader feel about this?
5. Who is important in this chapter? Why is she important in comparison to Alourdes?
6. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
7. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
8. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
9. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
10. Why do the initiates do the answer to number 55 in the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery and metaphors are used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe the imagery and metaphors found in this book. How are these connected to the stories in this book and the book as a whole?
Part 2) How is imagery important in oral traditions? Why is it so important? How is this importance reflected in this book?
Part 3) What other literary devices can be found in this book? How are they used? Are they effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The women in this culture are very strong.
Part 1) Describe Haitian women. How do they compare to women of other cultures? Why might these similarities and differences exist?
Part 2) How do Haitian women compare to Haitian men? Why are their roles designated in this way How do these gender roles compare to other cultures?
Part 3) How have the roles of women changed in Haiti? How does this compare to the changes of how women are viewed in other parts of the world today?
Essay Topic 3
Gede's dominon is the realm of death.
Part 1) Who is Gede? What is his role in Vodou? How important is he in Vodouism? Why? What is his connection to the other Vodou spirits?
Part 2) To whom can Gede be compared? What are the similarities and differences between Gede and this person or spirit? What do these spirits reveal about those who believe in them?
Part 3) What is the female version of Gede? How is she coming into existence? Why is she coming into existence? What does belief in her reveal about Haitian and Vodou culture?
This section contains 2,786 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)