|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
2. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
3. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
4. Who is Leve Jipon Fanm-nan, meaning "Raise that Woman's Petticoat?"
5. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Marie Claire significant?
2. How do you feel about Karen marrying Ogou? How does this marriage change the path of Karen's life? What does this also teach her?
3. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
4. What is it like being a manbo? How does Alourdes feel about this?
5. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
6. How does this similarity relate to their decision to take up the ason and serve the spirits?
7. What is the connection between one's power and the will of the spirits in the world of Vodou?
8. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
9. Why is a manbo especially important in Haiti during the present time?
10. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery and metaphors are used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe the imagery and metaphors found in this book. How are these connected to the stories in this book and the book as a whole?
Part 2) How is imagery important in oral traditions? Why is it so important? How is this importance reflected in this book?
Part 3) What other literary devices can be found in this book? How are they used? Are they effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are four steps in the initiation ritual.
Part 1) What are these four steps? Describe and analyze each step. What is the purpose of each step? How does one step lead to another? What do these steps reveal or reinforce about Vodou?
Part 2) How does this initiation rite compare to rituals found in other religions and organizations? Why do these similarities exist?
Part 3) In what rituals have you participated? Why? How did you feel about these rituals and other religious rituals? Why is ritual important to humans?
Essay Topic 3
There is a growing need for Manbos.
Part 1) What is a manbo? How is this person important in Vodou culture? Why are manbos increasingly more important in Haiti? What does this reveal about Vodou culture and life in Haiti?
Part 2) How are these cultural changes seen in other cultures around the world? How is religion becoming more important in some cultures? Why?
Part 3) Would you want to be a manbo? Why or why not? Would you be able to accept a role such as this in another religious organization, if it were offered to you or asked of you? Why or why not? How do manbos reflect the role of religious leaders in a community?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)