|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mauvant regularly do?
2. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
3. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
4. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
5. The compound is a grouping of huts for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
2. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel in American culture? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
3. Compare Azaka to Joseph Binbin Mauvant.
4. What is made clear in this chapter that we as Americans often fail to understand?
5. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
6. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
7. How is the character Jepete important?
8. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
9. What is the connection between one's power and the will of the spirits in the world of Vodou?
10. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of life in Vodou culture is out of the people's hands.
Part 1) Describe the role of Vodou spirits in Haitian culture. How are they important in everyday life in Haiti? How do these spirits guide Haitians in the decisions they make and the way they behave?
Part 2) Is there concrete evidence in this book that the Haitians are controlled by Vodou spirits? Explain. Are Haitians the only ones who feel their lives are guided by these spirits? Why or why not?
Part 3) Who or what guides the lives of most Americans? How does this compare to the Vodou spirits? How does this affect the lives of most Americans and our country as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Imagery and metaphors are used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe the imagery and metaphors found in this book. How are these connected to the stories in this book and the book as a whole?
Part 2) How is imagery important in oral traditions? Why is it so important? How is this importance reflected in this book?
Part 3) What other literary devices can be found in this book? How are they used? Are they effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are many Vodou spirits.
Part 1) Describe four of these spirits. What is the role of each spirit in Vodou culture? How is this connected with the treatment of these spirits by Vodou practitioners?
Part 2) How do Vodou spirits influence the lives of the Haitians? Are they a powerful force in Haitian culture? Why or why not?
Part 3) What spirits or religious entities are influential in other cultures around the world? How are they influential in the U.S.?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)