|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Manman Marasa?
2. What does Alourdes want to gather?
3. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
4. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
5. In the end, what happens in William's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sets Alourdes further apart from the poor Haitians?
2. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
3. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
4. How is the character Jepete important?
5. Describe a metaphor that can be found in this chapter. How is this interesting?
6. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
7. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
8. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
9. How do you feel about Karen marrying Ogou? How does this marriage change the path of Karen's life? What does this also teach her?
10. How might oral traditions be difficult for the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ezili represents the many facets of womankind.
Part 1) Who is Ezili? Describe the many forms of Ezili. Why is this significant in Haitian culture? What does it reveal about Haitian women?
Part 2) With which Ezili do you most relate? Why? Who in our own culture might represent the same type of woman as this Ezili?
Part 3) What women in our own culture best represent American women? Why? Are these the same women the American media promotes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gede's dominon is the realm of death.
Part 1) Who is Gede? What is his role in Vodou? How important is he in Vodouism? Why? What is his connection to the other Vodou spirits?
Part 2) To whom can Gede be compared? What are the similarities and differences between Gede and this person or spirit? What do these spirits reveal about those who believe in them?
Part 3) What is the female version of Gede? How is she coming into existence? Why is she coming into existence? What does belief in her reveal about Haitian and Vodou culture?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is a theme.
Part 1) Describe jealousy as it is found in this book? How is jealousy a theme? How does jealousy affect the lives of the characters in this book and in the lives of Haitians in general?
Part 2) How frequently are you jealous? Is jealousy a concern in the U.S. as it is in Haiti? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two other themes found in this book? Describe these themes. How are they tied to the book and to each other?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)