|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
2. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
3. There are _______ different subdivisions of Ogou.
4. Azaka goes about his business first, settling outstanding loans from what, and then selling the goods from his altar to the guests?
5. Where is this town located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the initiates do the answer to number 55 in the cemetery?
2. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
3. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
4. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
5. How do you feel about Karen marrying Ogou? How does this marriage change the path of Karen's life? What does this also teach her?
6. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
7. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
8. Compare Azaka to Joseph Binbin Mauvant.
9. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
10. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
Essay Topic 1
The truth about Vodou is told in this book.
Part 1) Summarize Vodouism. What are the truths about Vodouism? How do these truths compare to your initial thoughts about Vodou?
Part 2) How does Vodouism compare to other religions? What are the reasons for these similarities and differences?
Part 3) How has your opinion and knowledge of Vodou changed throughout the course of this book? How might this influence your opinions of other religions and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
The women in this culture are very strong.
Part 1) Describe Haitian women. How do they compare to women of other cultures? Why might these similarities and differences exist?
Part 2) How do Haitian women compare to Haitian men? Why are their roles designated in this way How do these gender roles compare to other cultures?
Part 3) How have the roles of women changed in Haiti? How does this compare to the changes of how women are viewed in other parts of the world today?
Essay Topic 3
Ezili represents the many facets of womankind.
Part 1) Who is Ezili? Describe the many forms of Ezili. Why is this significant in Haitian culture? What does it reveal about Haitian women?
Part 2) With which Ezili do you most relate? Why? Who in our own culture might represent the same type of woman as this Ezili?
Part 3) What women in our own culture best represent American women? Why? Are these the same women the American media promotes? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,744 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)