|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
2. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
3. Macena is the father of her children so she must do what?
4. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
5. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
2. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
3. What is made clear in this chapter that we as Americans often fail to understand?
4. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
5. What is the connection between one's power and the will of the spirits in the world of Vodou?
6. Who does Aunt Emma represent? Why is this important?
7. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
8. How are vodou ideals understood? Give an example from the text that supports this. How might a modern-day American reader feel about this?
9. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
10. What story takes place regarding Alourdes in the previous chapter? How is this related to this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
The life of a Manbo is difficult.
Part 1) Describe the life of a manbo. How is it a part of Alourdes' family history? How has it affected her family? Is this good or bad? Why?
Part 2) How has the role of the manbo become increasingly necessary in Haitian culture? How does this affect Alourdes and other manbos? What does this also do to Vodou and its importance in Haitian culture?
Part 3) How have changes in our own culture led to more or less emphasis on religion? How is this seen in other cultures as well?
Essay Topic 2
There are many Vodou spirits.
Part 1) Describe four of these spirits. What is the role of each spirit in Vodou culture? How is this connected with the treatment of these spirits by Vodou practitioners?
Part 2) How do Vodou spirits influence the lives of the Haitians? Are they a powerful force in Haitian culture? Why or why not?
Part 3) What spirits or religious entities are influential in other cultures around the world? How are they influential in the U.S.?
Essay Topic 3
An oral tradition is strong in Hatian culture.
Part 1) Describe oral tradition. What constitutes an oral tradition? How is this strong in the Haitian culture? Why is it so strong in the Haitian culture? How is this tied to Vodou?
Part 2) How are oral traditions and histories important in other cultures? How do these cultures compare to the Haitian Vodou cultures? What do all cultures with strong oral traditions have in common? Why?
Part 3) How is oral history important in your own culture? Is it as important as it was in the past? Why or why not? How does increased literacy affect oral traditions?
This section contains 2,965 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)