|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
2. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
3. What does Mauvant vomit up?
4. By the end of this chapter, Alourdes does what for Karen?
5. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does one feel regarding Karen? Is it easy to sympathize with her? Why or why not?
2. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
3. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
4. How is the character Jepete important?
5. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
6. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
7. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
8. How is Marie Claire significant?
9. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
10. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is a theme.
Part 1) Describe jealousy as it is found in this book? How is jealousy a theme? How does jealousy affect the lives of the characters in this book and in the lives of Haitians in general?
Part 2) How frequently are you jealous? Is jealousy a concern in the U.S. as it is in Haiti? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two other themes found in this book? Describe these themes. How are they tied to the book and to each other?
Essay Topic 2
The truth about Vodou is told in this book.
Part 1) Summarize Vodouism. What are the truths about Vodouism? How do these truths compare to your initial thoughts about Vodou?
Part 2) How does Vodouism compare to other religions? What are the reasons for these similarities and differences?
Part 3) How has your opinion and knowledge of Vodou changed throughout the course of this book? How might this influence your opinions of other religions and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Many God-fearing people believe Vodou practitioners will go to hell.
Part 1) Describe a God-fearing person. How is Aunt Emma a God-fearing person? What is her purpose in this book? What does Mama Lola think about Aunt Emma and other God-fearing people? What does this say about Mama Lola and other Vodou practitioners?
Part 2) Why do many God-fearing people feel this way about Vodou practitioners? Should they feel this way? Why or why not? Mama Lola says she is a Christian. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are your own thoughts about those who are Christians and those who are not Christians. What are your own opinions regarding hell? Does hell exist? Should non-Christians be worried? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)