|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He comes to town alone, speaking of having done what?
2. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
3. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
4. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
5. Who is Manman Marasa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Karen's understanding of Alourdes' "Queen Bee" behavior.
2. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
3. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
4. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
5. How is Marie Claire significant?
6. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
7. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
8. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
9. Describe a metaphor that can be found in this chapter. How is this interesting?
10. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truth about Vodou is told in this book.
Part 1) Summarize Vodouism. What are the truths about Vodouism? How do these truths compare to your initial thoughts about Vodou?
Part 2) How does Vodouism compare to other religions? What are the reasons for these similarities and differences?
Part 3) How has your opinion and knowledge of Vodou changed throughout the course of this book? How might this influence your opinions of other religions and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
There are strong ties between the women in this family.
Part 1) Describe the women in this family. How is their oral history important? How are these women tied to one another? Why is this important?
Part 2) How does Karen become connected with these strong women? Why does she want to create ties with them? Would you want to create ties with them? Would you want to be connected with this family? Why or why not?
Part 3) To whom are you connected? How did this connection come to exist? How important is this connection to you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Imagery and metaphors are used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe the imagery and metaphors found in this book. How are these connected to the stories in this book and the book as a whole?
Part 2) How is imagery important in oral traditions? Why is it so important? How is this importance reflected in this book?
Part 3) What other literary devices can be found in this book? How are they used? Are they effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)