|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
(a) It is a rare illness.
(b) It is something the doctors are unable to properly diagnose or cure.
(c) It has come upon her suddenly.
(d) It continues to get worse with medical care.
2. Danbala operates from the territory of ______________, asking questions.
(d) Blood and memory.
3. This chapter is about the female spirits who belong to the grouping known as ____________.
4. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
(a) Protect his son.
(b) Help him find his son.
(c) Give him a son.
(d) Help to cure his ailing son.
5. What does the spirit do to Philo?
(a) He makes her ill.
(b) He makes her go blind.
(c) He makes her deaf.
(d) He makes her mute.
Short Answer Questions
1. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
2. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
3. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
4. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
5. Where does Papa Gede live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Aunt Emma represent? Why is this important?
2. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
3. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
4. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
5. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
6. What does this chapter reiterate about the responsibility of serving the spirits?
7. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
8. Why do the initiates do the answer to number 55 in the cemetery?
9. What is one of the best stories in this chapter? Why?
10. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)