|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
2. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
(a) Ezili Danto.
(b) Ezili Freda.
(c) Ezili Asrial.
(d) Ezili Lasyrenn.
3. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to sponsor them.
(b) She wants to do it.
(c) She wants to view it.
(d) She wants to study it.
4. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
5. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) She does not trust him.
(b) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
(c) She does not want to help him.
(d) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Healers such as Alourdes are specialists who are for hire in order to do what?
2. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
3. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
4. What happens to a person who catches a glimpse of her beneath the water that reaches out to touch her?
5. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
2. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
3. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
4. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
5. What is one of the best stories in this chapter? Why?
6. What story takes place regarding Alourdes in the previous chapter? How is this related to this chapter?
7. What understanding does this chapter give us regarding Alourdes and her daughter?
8. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
9. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
10. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)