|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) She does not trust him.
(b) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
(c) She does not want to help him.
(d) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
2. Why do they come to her apartment?
(a) To visit her.
(b) To see it.
(c) To have a party in it.
(d) To bless it.
3. This chapter opens with Alourdes, Karen and a Jamaican woman named Mabel traveling to Jamaica and then onto Haiti in January of _________.
4. We learn that the main focus of Alourdes' healing energy is directed at what?
(a) The deeper issues that are uncovered during the course of her treatment.
(b) Her family.
(c) The spirits on the land.
(d) The people who live on this land.
5. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must this be dislodged?
2. All Vodou lwa are represented by what?
3. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
4. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
5. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
2. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
3. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
4. Who does Aunt Emma represent? Why is this important?
5. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
6. What is one of the best stories in this chapter? Why?
7. What story takes place regarding Alourdes in the previous chapter? How is this related to this chapter?
8. Who is important in this chapter? Why is she important in comparison to Alourdes?
9. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
10. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)