|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) Her uterus.
(b) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
(c) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(d) Her ovaries.
2. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
3. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
4. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
5. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to study it.
(b) She wants to view it.
(c) She wants to do it.
(d) She wants to sponsor them.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
2. Each of these spirits exists in close relation to one another and, when considered as a group, are able to quite accurately paint a portrait of whom?
3. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
4. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
5. Back to the present time in the hospital, Maggie is undergoing a procedure where what must be dislodged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
2. What does this chapter reiterate about the responsibility of serving the spirits?
3. Compare the focus on morality and sexuality in the Vodou culture as compared the many people in America? How do these differences affect many Americans' views of Vodou?
4. How does Philo feel about Alourdes? Why might she feel this way?
5. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
6. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
7. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
8. What do all the women in this family have in common?
9. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
10. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)