|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back to the present time in the hospital, Maggie is undergoing a procedure where what must be dislodged?
(a) The tube in her stomach into which her fluids are draining.
(b) The tumor.
(c) A growth.
(d) The cancer.
2. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Give them different names.
(b) Create their own gods and spirits.
(c) Do not believe in them.
(d) Forget to worship them.
3. After losing this, she subsequently had a dream of what?
(a) Being pursued by the spirits and meeting them with resistance.
(b) Looking for the spirits.
(d) Losing her daughter.
4. What does Philo not want to do?
(a) Leave Haiti.
(b) Take on the responsibility.
(c) Help others.
(d) Put a curse on others.
5. What does the spirit do to Philo?
(a) He makes her ill.
(b) He makes her go blind.
(c) He makes her deaf.
(d) He makes her mute.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
2. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
3. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
4. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
5. What will they be forever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philo feel about Alourdes? Why might she feel this way?
2. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
3. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
4. How is the similarity described in number 45 significant?
5. Why do the initiates do the answer to number 55 in the cemetery?
6. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
7. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
8. Compare the focus on morality and sexuality in the Vodou culture as compared the many people in America? How do these differences affect many Americans' views of Vodou?
9. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
10. What story takes place regarding Alourdes in the previous chapter? How is this related to this chapter?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)