|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philo not want to do?
(a) Take on the responsibility.
(b) Leave Haiti.
(c) Put a curse on others.
(d) Help others.
2. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
3. Alourdes has been hired to do some healing work for a woman in Kingston, as well as for Mabel's son. In Kingston, they meet _______________ who is devoutly attached to her Bible.
(a) Aunt Emily.
(b) Aunt Edna.
(c) Aunt Erin.
(d) Aunt Emma.
4. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
(b) Her own.
(d) The spirits'.
5. When Karen decides to marry Papa Ogou, Alourdes tells her that she must also marry Papa Danbala. Why?
(a) So she may have two husbands.
(b) For the sake of honor.
(c) For the sake of balance.
(d) So he will not be lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
2. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
3. Why must this be dislodged?
4. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
5. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
Short Essay Questions
1. What story takes place regarding Alourdes in the previous chapter? How is this related to this chapter?
2. What is one of the best stories in this chapter? Why?
3. What do all the women in this family have in common?
4. What does this chapter reiterate about the responsibility of serving the spirits?
5. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
6. How is the similarity described in number 45 significant?
7. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
8. What is learned about participating in the initiation rite?
9. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
10. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)