|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philo not want to do?
(a) Help others.
(b) Leave Haiti.
(c) Put a curse on others.
(d) Take on the responsibility.
2. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
(a) Of how she began her work in treating people.
(b) Of how she became a Haitian.
(c) Of how she first came to Haiti.
(d) Of how she began studying Vodou.
3. Maggie is hospitalized with what?
(a) A mystery illness.
(b) A tumor.
4. They are made to understand that they cannot reveal exactly what occurs in the initiation chamber; to do so is to cause what?
(a) Your own death.
(b) The end of Vodou.
(c) The separation of the initiate from the spirits.
(d) Destruction of the family.
5. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
2. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
3. Why is this Karen's decision?
4. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
5. This chapter is a story about the life of Alourdes' ______________, Philomise.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the similarity described in number 45 significant?
2. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
3. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
4. What story takes place regarding Alourdes in the previous chapter? How is this related to this chapter?
5. What do all the women in this family have in common?
6. How has Alourdes been like Ezili?
7. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
8. Compare the focus on morality and sexuality in the Vodou culture as compared the many people in America? How do these differences affect many Americans' views of Vodou?
9. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
10. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)