|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the spirit do to Philo?
(a) He makes her deaf.
(b) He makes her ill.
(c) He makes her mute.
(d) He makes her go blind.
2. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
3. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
4. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
5. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
(a) Ezili Danto.
(b) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(c) Ezili Freda.
(d) Ezili Asrial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karen decide?
2. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
3. In this chapter, Alourdes, Maggie, Karen, Big Daddy and Maggie's children arrive at Karen's new ______________ apartment in Manhattan.
4. We learn that the main focus of Alourdes' healing energy is directed at what?
5. Healers such as Alourdes are specialists who are for hire in order to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
2. What are Philo's plans for Alourdes, prior to her birth? How does this plan change?
3. What is the purpose of the Ezili spirits?
4. What understanding does this chapter give us regarding Alourdes and her daughter?
5. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
6. What do all the women in this family have in common?
7. What does this chapter reiterate about the responsibility of serving the spirits?
8. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
9. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
10. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)