|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel about the idea of having to deal with the American police?
(a) They are excited.
(b) They are terrified.
(c) They are annoyed.
(d) They are angry.
2. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
(c) Marche femme.
(d) Femme de marche.
3. She later stages a ______________.
(a) Manje pov.
(b) Panje mov.
(c) Monji pav.
(d) Ponji mav.
4. What is the beaded rattle used to leverage the spirit world?
(a) An acon.
(b) An afon.
(c) An axon.
(d) An ason.
5. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) An easy.
(b) A grueling.
(c) An exciting.
(d) A strange.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mauvant is what they call a _____________________ or a true African who has the spirits "on him" always.
2. This chapter we learn more about Kouzinn, the spirit who is what?
3. This is done around ____________.
4. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
5. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might oral traditions be difficult for the reader?
2. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
3. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
4. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
5. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
6. What do most Americans think of "voodoo?"
7. How is Marie Claire significant?
8. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
9. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
10. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)