|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
(a) Fascination and expectation.
(b) Fear and excitement.
(c) Annoyance and fear.
(d) Anger and fear.
2. What happens to Sina shortly after this?
(a) She returns to the United States.
(b) She becomes a manbo.
(c) She is poisoned and killed.
(d) She moves back into the country.
3. Why is Azaka mad?
(a) Azaka thinks Alourdes is not going to throw him a party.
(b) Azaka does not want Alourdes to throw him a party.
(c) Azaka is in a bad mood.
(d) Azaka thinks Alourdes does not love him.
4. Ogou Badagri, the shy, handsome, brave and loyal, is Alourdes' _____________ from the spirit world.
(d) Chief counselor.
5. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Not work for her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Ignore her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philo realize?
2. What does Mauvant vomit up?
3. When do the preparations for the party begin?
4. Azaka offers the rest of his altar food to his guests, doles out messages to the individual guests and instructs them how to do what?
5. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
2. Why do the initiates do the answer to number 55 in the cemetery?
3. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
4. How do each of the four initiates handle the initiation rites? Who handles it the best?
5. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
6. How is Marie Claire significant?
7. What do most Americans think of "voodoo?"
8. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
9. How is Mama Lola affected by the needs of these spirits? What are the end results of her actions?
10. How is myth important in Alourdes' life of Vodou?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)