|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should Karen take?
(a) First Communion.
(b) A walk through a cemetery.
(c) The initiation rite.
(d) A course in Vodou.
2. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Not work for her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Ignore her.
3. Ogou Badagri, the shy, handsome, brave and loyal, is Alourdes' _____________ from the spirit world.
(b) Chief counselor.
4. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
(a) Move to the States.
(b) Take a relaxing vacation.
(c) Journey back into the mountains
(d) Journey to Port au Prince.
5. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) A strange.
(b) A grueling.
(c) An exciting.
(d) An easy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama Lola travels to ___________ from Haiti and falls very ill.
2. Philo is treated very poorly, and at the age of ____________, she runs away.
3. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
4. What is a "met tet?"
5. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
2. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
3. How are Sina and Philo similar? What actions do they take? What does this reveal about them?
4. What is Alourdes' response regarding Catholic priests? What does this reveal about Haitians?
5. What sets Alourdes further apart from the poor Haitians?
6. What is learned about the choices made regarding the women in this culture?
7. What is significant about Karen's marriage to Papa Danbala?
8. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
9. What is Alourdes' main role in Vodou? Describe her actions in this role. Why does she act this way?
10. How is Mama Lola affected by the needs of these spirits? What are the end results of her actions?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)