|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
(a) Journey to Port au Prince.
(b) Journey back into the mountains
(c) Take a relaxing vacation.
(d) Move to the States.
2. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
(a) Panje mov.
(b) Ponji mav.
(c) Monji pav.
(d) A Manje pov.
3. Why is Azaka mad?
(a) Azaka is in a bad mood.
(b) Azaka thinks Alourdes is not going to throw him a party.
(c) Azaka thinks Alourdes does not love him.
(d) Azaka does not want Alourdes to throw him a party.
4. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
(a) A birthday.
(b) An anniversary.
(c) A pizza.
(d) A surprise.
5. Who is Manman Marasa?
(a) The sister of Mauvant.
(b) The wife of Mauvant.
(c) Mama Lola's cousin.
(d) The daughter of Mauvant.
Short Answer Questions
1. She is taken back to _______________.
2. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
3. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
4. Unfortunately, Fouchard's plan all along is to do what?
5. The first chapter of the book begins where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does one feel regarding Karen? Is it easy to sympathize with her? Why or why not?
2. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
3. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
4. How is Mama Lola affected by the needs of these spirits? What are the end results of her actions?
5. Describe Karen's understanding of Alourdes' "Queen Bee" behavior.
6. How are Sina and Philo similar? What actions do they take? What does this reveal about them?
7. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
8. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
9. How is the character Jepete important?
10. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)