|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
(a) Anger and fear.
(b) Fear and excitement.
(c) Fascination and expectation.
(d) Annoyance and fear.
2. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
(a) Spending time with family.
(d) Making friends.
3. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
(c) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
(d) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
4. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
5. When she first meets Alphonse Macena, she is just a girl of __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. She later stages a ______________.
2. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
3. Azaka goes about his business first, settling outstanding loans from what, and then selling the goods from his altar to the guests?
4. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
5. What happens to Sina shortly after this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between one's power and the will of the spirits in the world of Vodou?
2. Describe a metaphor that can be found in this chapter. How is this interesting?
3. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
4. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
5. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
6. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
7. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
8. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
9. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
10. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)