|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
(a) Femme de marche.
(b) Marche femme.
2. The day arrives when a ________ (an evil spirit, in this case, a two legged horse which stands straight like a man) visits Madame Fouchard in the middle of the night.
3. Who is Leve Jipon Fanm-nan, meaning "Raise that Woman's Petticoat?"
(a) Macena's servant.
(b) Macena's favorite cock.
(c) Macena's best friend.
(d) Macena's dog.
4. When Alourdes is possessed by Ogou, the __________ is always wielded.
5. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) Those who are not a part of the culture.
(c) An otherwise male-dominated culture.
(d) Other women.
Short Answer Questions
1. The incident shows that McCarthy Brown is what?
2. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
3. Who should Karen marry?
4. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
5. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Sina and Philo similar? What actions do they take? What does this reveal about them?
2. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
3. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
4. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel in American culture? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
5. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
6. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
7. How is the character Jepete important?
8. Compare Azaka to Joseph Binbin Mauvant.
9. How is Marie Claire significant?
10. How does one feel regarding Karen? Is it easy to sympathize with her? Why or why not?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)