|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the preparations for the party begin?
(a) Around 10:00 at night.
(b) Around 10:00 in the morning.
(c) Around 5:00 in then evening.
(d) Around 5:00 in the morning.
2. In this chapter we learn about Alourdes' Grandmother, ______________.
(a) Marie Louise.
(b) Marie Noelsine.
(c) Marie Noelle.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
3. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) Until early in the morning the next day.
(b) For the next week.
(c) Until early in the evening.
(d) Until late at night.
4. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
(a) Unexpectedly, Macena's best friend dies.
(b) Unexpectedly, Macena's servant quits.
(c) Unexpectedly, this prize fighting cock of Macena's dies in the ring.
(d) Unexpectedly, Macena's dog dies while out hunting.
5. The compound is a grouping of huts for whom?
(a) All the families in town.
(b) The Mauvant family's grown children and their children as well.
(c) The children of the community.
(d) The leaders of the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. While power liberates, it also can do what to those who wield it?
2. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
3. Who should Karen marry?
4. What is a "met tet?"
5. The story begins on __________ early morning.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
2. Describe Karen's understanding of Alourdes' "Queen Bee" behavior.
3. How is Mama Lola affected by the needs of these spirits? What are the end results of her actions?
4. Describe a metaphor that can be found in this chapter. How is this interesting?
5. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
6. What is made clear in this chapter that we as Americans often fail to understand?
7. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
8. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
9. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
10. How do you feel about Karen marrying Ogou? How does this marriage change the path of Karen's life? What does this also teach her?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)