|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
(a) The American police force.
(b) Certain authority.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) A Vodou spirit.
2. What is the setting?
(a) The Mauvant family store.
(b) The town market.
(c) The town hall.
(d) The Mauvant family compound.
3. While power liberates, it also can do what to those who wield it?
(a) Betray and destroy.
(b) Encourage them to do good with their power.
(c) Spread their power.
(d) Increase their power.
4. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
(a) Gros Mango.
(b) Gros Balance.
(c) Gros Morne.
(d) Gros Cajou.
5. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Macena believes that the spirits, like his wife, are there to do what?
2. Does Joseph Binbin Mauvant like Macena?
3. Azaka goes about his business first, settling outstanding loans from what, and then selling the goods from his altar to the guests?
4. This chapter we learn more about Kouzinn, the spirit who is what?
5. In what town does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
2. How do you feel about Karen marrying Ogou? How does this marriage change the path of Karen's life? What does this also teach her?
3. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
4. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
5. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel in American culture? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
6. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
7. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
8. What sets Alourdes further apart from the poor Haitians?
9. How is the character Jepete important?
10. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)