|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fouchard feeds Sina and gives her a place to rest whenever she comes to town to sell her goods at the market. Why does Fouchard do this?
(a) She is a kind woman.
(b) She is Sina's aunt.
(c) She knows that these favors will oblige Sina to her.
(d) She cares for Sina.
2. The incident shows that McCarthy Brown is what?
(a) Very intelligent.
(b) A liar.
(c) A devoted friend to Alourdes and her family.
(d) A good lawyer.
3. For Alourdes, it is a journey long overdue to do what?
(a) Relax and enjoy life.
(b) Learn the history of Haiti.
(c) Pay homage to the spirits.
(d) Teach others about Vodou.
4. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He tells stories.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
(d) He talks to the spirits.
5. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Victoria.
(b) Madame Vichy.
(c) Madame Victor.
(d) Madame Valeria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
2. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
3. The chapter about the spirit Azaka, or "Kouzen Zaka" begins with Karen telling the story of her journey to Mama Lola's home in ______________.
4. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
5. Macena shirks his responsibilities and spends all of his time where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might oral traditions be difficult for the reader?
2. How does this similarity relate to their decision to take up the ason and serve the spirits?
3. What is it like being a manbo? How does Alourdes feel about this?
4. What is made clear in this chapter that we as Americans often fail to understand?
5. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
6. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
7. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
8. What is the connection between one's power and the will of the spirits in the world of Vodou?
9. What do most Americans think of "voodoo?"
10. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)