|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) Until early in the morning the next day.
(b) Until early in the evening.
(c) For the next week.
(d) Until late at night.
2. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) An easy.
(b) An exciting.
(c) A grueling.
(d) A strange.
3. This is done around ____________.
(a) 4:00 p.m.
(b) 8:00 p.m.
(c) 4:00 a.m.
(d) 8:00 a.m.
4. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
(a) A Vodou spirit.
(b) Certain authority.
(c) The American police force.
(d) Bad luck.
5. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
(b) Her influence among the authorities.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is agreed upon between Mama Lola and Karen?
2. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
3. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
4. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
5. In the end, what happens in William's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Sina and Philo similar? What actions do they take? What does this reveal about them?
2. How is Mama Lola affected by the needs of these spirits? What are the end results of her actions?
3. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
4. Compare the focus on morality and sexuality in the Vodou culture as compared the many people in America? How do these differences affect many Americans' views of Vodou?
5. Who is important in this chapter? Why is she important in comparison to Alourdes?
6. What do the initiates have to do in the cemetery?
7. What similarity exists between Marie Claire and Maggie?
8. How is Marie Claire significant?
9. What is one of the most important lessons learned about the practice of Vodou from reading this book? How is Karen's involvement in Mama Lola's story important to most readers of this book?
10. Who does Aunt Emma represent? Why is this important?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)