|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warrior lesson does Karen learn?
(a) Learn how to wield a sword.
(b) Strike first and strike hard.
(c) Fight those who fight you.
(d) Know what you want and fight for it.
2. Mama Lola travels to ___________ from Haiti and falls very ill.
3. What does Mauvant vomit up?
(a) A diamond.
(b) His lunch.
(c) A small, smooth stone.
(d) A spirit.
4. She is taken back to _______________.
(a) Gros Morne.
(b) Gros Cheval.
(c) Gros Bassin.
(d) Gros Cabrit.
5. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is praising her.
(b) Azaka is ignoring her.
(c) Azaka is speaking to her.
(d) Azaka is punishing her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
2. Why does he fund this?
3. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
4. Where is this town located?
5. He is a "grimo," or _____________ man.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Sina and Philo similar? What actions do they take? What does this reveal about them?
2. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
3. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
4. Why is a manbo especially important in Haiti during the present time?
5. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
6. Why is oral tradition important in this culture?
7. Describe Karen's understanding of Alourdes' "Queen Bee" behavior.
8. How are vodou ideals understood? Give an example from the text that supports this. How might a modern-day American reader feel about this?
9. How do you feel about Karen marrying Ogou? How does this marriage change the path of Karen's life? What does this also teach her?
10. What is the connection between one's power and the will of the spirits in the world of Vodou?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)