|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Ignore her.
(c) Not work for her.
(d) Help her.
2. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
(a) Ponji mav.
(b) A Manje pov.
(c) Monji pav.
(d) Panje mov.
3. Why does he fund this?
(a) So that Philo can be reunited with Sina.
(b) So that Philo can have a vacation.
(c) So that Philo will be happy.
(d) So that Philo will leave him alone.
4. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He talks to the spirits.
(b) He sleeps.
(c) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
(d) He tells stories.
5. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Put him in jail.
(b) Build him a hut in the compound.
(c) Force him to marry Sina.
(d) Kick him out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
2. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
3. What should Karen take?
4. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
5. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sina's character reveal about women in this culture? How do the women compare to the men?
2. What is it like being a manbo? How does Alourdes feel about this?
3. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
4. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
5. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
6. How is Marie Claire significant?
7. How does this similarity relate to their decision to take up the ason and serve the spirits?
8. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
9. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
10. What sets Alourdes further apart from the poor Haitians?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)