|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ogou Badagri, the shy, handsome, brave and loyal, is Alourdes' _____________ from the spirit world.
(d) Chief counselor.
2. What should Karen take?
(a) A walk through a cemetery.
(b) The initiation rite.
(c) First Communion.
(d) A course in Vodou.
3. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
(a) She pays for William's bail.
(b) She acts as William's lawyer.
(c) She translates for them.
(d) She steps in to assist in the process.
4. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
(a) She respects Karen.
(b) In order to determine how involved she should become within the world of Vodou.
(c) She loves Karen.
(d) She worries about Karen.
5. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
(a) Mama Lola.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alourdes' mother, Philomise, is the _________ child born to them.
2. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
3. In this chapter we learn about Alourdes' Grandmother, ______________.
4. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
5. Azaka offers the rest of his altar food to his guests, doles out messages to the individual guests and instructs them how to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
2. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
3. How is the character Jepete important?
4. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel in American culture? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
5. What all-important concept is discussed in this chapter? Give an example.
6. How does this similarity relate to their decision to take up the ason and serve the spirits?
7. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
8. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
9. What contrast is discussed in this chapter? Describe this contrast.
10. How is Marie Claire significant?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)