|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
2. Mama Lola takes the ________ like her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.
3. What is the beaded rattle used to leverage the spirit world?
(a) An acon.
(b) An ason.
(c) An axon.
(d) An afon.
4. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
(a) Robs her.
(b) Kicks her out of her new home.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Comes to live with her.
5. Where is this town located?
(a) In the northeast corner of Haiti.
(b) In the northwest corner of Haiti.
(c) In the southwest corner of Haiti.
(d) In the southeast corner of Haiti.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
2. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
3. Unfortunately, Fouchard's plan all along is to do what?
4. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
5. Marie Noelsine is befriended by Madame Fouchard, the local _____________ in Port-de-Paix.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do most Americans think of "voodoo?"
2. Why is a manbo especially important in Haiti during the present time?
3. What sets Alourdes further apart from the poor Haitians?
4. How is the character Jepete important?
5. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
6. How are vodou ideals understood? Give an example from the text that supports this. How might a modern-day American reader feel about this?
7. What is made clear in this chapter that we as Americans often fail to understand?
8. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
9. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
10. How does one feel regarding Karen? Is it easy to sympathize with her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)