|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is ignoring her.
(b) Azaka is punishing her.
(c) Azaka is praising her.
(d) Azaka is speaking to her.
2. Kouzinn is _____________, a trade that is key to the survival for the poor women of Haiti.
(a) A doctor.
(b) A market woman.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A healer.
3. Mauvant is what they call a _____________________ or a true African who has the spirits "on him" always.
4. In the market of _____________, Philo finds her sister, Gloria.
5. What happens to Sina shortly after this?
(a) She is poisoned and killed.
(b) She returns to the United States.
(c) She becomes a manbo.
(d) She moves back into the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
2. The story begins on __________ early morning.
3. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
4. What does Philo realize?
5. What is a "met tet?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What important themes in the world of Haitian Vodou are seen in this chapter?
2. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
3. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
4. What does Sina's character reveal about women in this culture? How do the women compare to the men?
5. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
6. How does this similarity relate to their decision to take up the ason and serve the spirits?
7. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
8. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
9. Describe Karen's understanding of Alourdes' "Queen Bee" behavior.
10. Compare Azaka to Joseph Binbin Mauvant.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)