|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
(a) Journey back into the mountains
(b) Journey to Port au Prince.
(c) Take a relaxing vacation.
(d) Move to the States.
2. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He tells stories.
(c) He talks to the spirits.
(d) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
3. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is abusive.
(c) She tires of him.
(d) He does not carry his weight in the household.
4. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
(a) Help her.
(b) Not work for her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Ignore her.
5. What does Mauvant vomit up?
(a) A small, smooth stone.
(b) A spirit.
(c) A diamond.
(d) His lunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Macena shirks his responsibilities and spends all of his time where?
2. What does Alourdes want to gather?
3. What is a "met tet?"
4. Fouchard feeds Sina and gives her a place to rest whenever she comes to town to sell her goods at the market. Why does Fouchard do this?
5. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel in American culture? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
2. How is Mama Lola affected by the needs of these spirits? What are the end results of her actions?
3. How might oral traditions be difficult for the reader?
4. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
5. How is the character Jepete important?
6. What other imagery is used in this chapter? How does it affect the reader? What message does this imagery send?
7. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
8. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
9. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
10. Describe a metaphor that can be found in this chapter. How is this interesting?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)