|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the preparations for the party begin?
(a) Around 10:00 in the morning.
(b) Around 10:00 at night.
(c) Around 5:00 in then evening.
(d) Around 5:00 in the morning.
2. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
(c) Spending time with family.
(d) Making friends.
3. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
(a) She is to train as a manbo in Brooklyn.
(b) She is to become a spirit.
(c) She is to return to Haiti to train as a manbo.
(d) She is to move back to Haiti.
4. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(c) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
(d) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
5. When Karen arrives, where does she find Mama Lola?
(b) In the kitchen cooking.
(c) Slumped against the table.
(d) In a trance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
2. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
3. Macena is the father of her children so she must do what?
4. In this chapter we learn about Alourdes' Grandmother, ______________.
5. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
2. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
3. How might oral traditions be difficult for the reader?
4. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
5. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
6. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
7. How is Marie Claire significant?
8. What do most Americans think of "voodoo?"
9. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
10. How does this culture affect men like Macena? How is Sina finally able to escape him? How does this lead to a change in her life?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)