|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her influence among the authorities.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
2. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He talks to the spirits.
3. What warrior lesson does Karen learn?
(a) Learn how to wield a sword.
(b) Strike first and strike hard.
(c) Know what you want and fight for it.
(d) Fight those who fight you.
4. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
(a) She tires of him.
(b) He dies.
(c) He is abusive.
(d) He does not carry his weight in the household.
5. What does Alourdes want to gather?
(a) Her family and friends.
(b) Her thoughts.
(c) Those who want to become Vodou healers.
(d) Essential ingredients needed for ceremonies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mauvant vomit up?
2. In Haiti, before she moved to America, Alourdes, like most other Haitian women, did whatever it took to feed herself and her family, including what?
3. When do the preparations for the party begin?
4. In the market of _____________, Philo finds her sister, Gloria.
5. Does Joseph Binbin Mauvant like Macena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Azaka to Joseph Binbin Mauvant.
2. What is revealed about the relationship between Mama Lola and the spirits in this chapter? How is this relationship important?
3. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
4. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
5. How is jealousy significant in Haiti?
6. What does the author say is the purpose of every other chapter in the book? What does this reveal about the author's role in writing these chapters?
7. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
8. What does Sina's character reveal about women in this culture? How do the women compare to the men?
9. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
10. Describe Vodou rituals and ceremonies as a whole. Give an example from this chapter that supports this.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)