|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The compound is a grouping of huts for whom?
(a) The leaders of the community.
(b) The Mauvant family's grown children and their children as well.
(c) All the families in town.
(d) The children of the community.
2. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
(c) Marche femme.
(d) Femme de marche.
3. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
(c) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
(d) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
4. Alourdes' mother, Philomise, is the _________ child born to them.
5. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
(c) An ason.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter about the spirit Azaka, or "Kouzen Zaka" begins with Karen telling the story of her journey to Mama Lola's home in ______________.
2. What is the setting?
3. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
4. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
5. When Alourdes is possessed by Ogou, the __________ is always wielded.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alourdes' purpose for arranging the 'manje pov?'
2. What is the moral of the story in this chapter? How is this a significant lesson to learn?
3. Describe a metaphor that can be found in this chapter. How is this interesting?
4. How is Sina's strength revealed in this chapter?
5. How does jealousy affect the plot of this story?
6. How is Marie Claire significant?
7. What does this chapter reveal about the Mauvant family and life in Haiti and in the Mauvant family compound?
8. Describe Karen's understanding of Alourdes' "Queen Bee" behavior.
9. How is the legend of Joseph Binbin Mauvant important?
10. Compare Azaka to Joseph Binbin Mauvant.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)