|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maggie is hospitalized with what?
(a) A tumor.
(b) A mystery illness.
2. What does Alourdes ask Karen?
(a) If she would like to watch the ritual initiation.
(b) If she would like to undergo the ritual initiation as well.
(c) If she would like to sponsor those going to be initiated.
(d) If she would like to research initiation.
3. They are made to understand that they cannot reveal exactly what occurs in the initiation chamber; to do so is to cause what?
(a) The separation of the initiate from the spirits.
(b) The end of Vodou.
(c) Destruction of the family.
(d) Your own death.
4. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
5. _________________ is a white woman.
(a) Ezili Danto.
(b) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(c) Ezili Freda.
(d) Ezili Asrial.
6. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
(a) A bear.
(b) A saint.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A giant cobra.
7. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
(b) Love, wealth and honor.
8. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
9. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
(b) She does not want to help him.
(c) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
(d) She does not trust him.
10. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
11. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
12. This spirit is the '______________ woman' of the female spirits.
13. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
14. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
15. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
(a) They will lose all power.
(b) They will die.
(c) They will leave Haiti.
(d) They will lose their ancestral stories and their deepest connections to who they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philo not want to do?
2. Why must this be dislodged?
3. What does this spirit love?
4. Where does Papa Gede live?
5. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)