|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
2. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Give them different names.
(b) Create their own gods and spirits.
(c) Forget to worship them.
(d) Do not believe in them.
3. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
4. We learn that the main focus of Alourdes' healing energy is directed at what?
(a) The deeper issues that are uncovered during the course of her treatment.
(b) Her family.
(c) The people who live on this land.
(d) The spirits on the land.
5. Healers such as Alourdes are specialists who are for hire in order to do what?
(a) Assist in the labor required to orchestrate good luck.
(b) Bring peace to all Haitians.
(c) Talk to the spirits.
(d) Make the spirits happy.
6. Danbala operates from the territory of ______________, asking questions.
(b) Blood and memory.
7. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to view it.
(b) She wants to study it.
(c) She wants to sponsor them.
(d) She wants to do it.
8. When Karen decides to marry Papa Ogou, Alourdes tells her that she must also marry Papa Danbala. Why?
(a) So she may have two husbands.
(b) So he will not be lonely.
(c) For the sake of honor.
(d) For the sake of balance.
9. According to the Vodou philosophy, the world is a precarious place, and it is naïve to think what?
(a) That one can navigate their life without family.
(b) That one can navigate their life without the labor required to usher in good luck and stave off bad luck.
(c) That one can navigate their life without money.
(d) That one can navigate their life without God.
10. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
11. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) She does not want to help him.
(b) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
(c) She does not trust him.
(d) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
12. What does Philo not want to do?
(a) Put a curse on others.
(b) Help others.
(c) Take on the responsibility.
(d) Leave Haiti.
13. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
14. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(b) Her ovaries.
(c) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
(d) Her uterus.
15. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(b) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(c) She wants to believe in something.
(d) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
2. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
3. They are made to understand that they cannot reveal exactly what occurs in the initiation chamber; to do so is to cause what?
4. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
5. The first is a _____________ in order to dislodge the spirits in one's head.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)