|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
(c) Love, wealth and honor.
2. Why must this be dislodged?
(a) It is blocking a major artery.
(b) It has become imbedded.
(c) It is growing larger.
(d) It is pressing on her brain stem.
3. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
4. Maggie is hospitalized with what?
(a) A mystery illness.
(b) A tumor.
5. This spirit is the '______________ woman' of the female spirits.
6. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
7. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
(a) The spirits'.
(b) Her own.
8. They are made to understand that they cannot reveal exactly what occurs in the initiation chamber; to do so is to cause what?
(a) Destruction of the family.
(b) Your own death.
(c) The end of Vodou.
(d) The separation of the initiate from the spirits.
9. What does this spirit love?
(a) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
(c) All men.
(d) Teaching others.
10. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
(a) Vodou practitioner.
(b) Vodou priestess.
(c) Devil-worshipper as well.
11. After losing this, she subsequently had a dream of what?
(a) Being pursued by the spirits and meeting them with resistance.
(b) Losing her daughter.
(d) Looking for the spirits.
12. What does this spirit tell her?
(a) How to put a curse on someone.
(b) How to make treatments.
(c) How to find those who are lost.
(d) How to get revenge.
13. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
14. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
15. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Forget to worship them.
(b) Give them different names.
(c) Create their own gods and spirits.
(d) Do not believe in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Vodou philosophy, the world is a precarious place, and it is naïve to think what?
2. Alourdes has been hired to do some healing work for a woman in Kingston, as well as for Mabel's son. In Kingston, they meet _______________ who is devoutly attached to her Bible.
3. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
4. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
5. Danbala operates from the territory of ______________, asking questions.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)