|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All Vodou lwa are represented by what?
(a) The Apostles.
(c) A Catholic saint.
(d) Hindu gods.
2. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
3. Alourdes and Maggie have the responsibility of keeping the women of this line, Sina, Philo and beyond, as well as the family spirits, alive with what?
(b) Ritual feeding.
(d) Their memories.
4. Maggie is hospitalized with what?
(c) A mystery illness.
(d) A tumor.
5. _________________ is a white woman.
(a) Ezili Danto.
(b) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(c) Ezili Asrial.
(d) Ezili Freda.
6. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
(a) A giant cobra.
(b) A saint.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A bear.
7. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(b) She wants to believe in something.
(c) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(d) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
8. He represents the idea that Haitians must connect to what, while shedding their skin and recreating themselves as needed?
(a) Their lost African roots.
(b) Their lost family members.
(c) Their lost culture.
(d) Their lost spiritual guides.
9. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
(b) She does not trust him.
(c) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
(d) She does not want to help him.
10. In this chapter we learn that Vodou rituals are always opened with what?
(b) Vodou prayer.
(d) Catholic prayer.
11. What does this spirit love?
(a) All men.
(b) Teaching others.
(d) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
12. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
13. We learn that the main focus of Alourdes' healing energy is directed at what?
(a) The spirits on the land.
(b) The deeper issues that are uncovered during the course of her treatment.
(c) The people who live on this land.
(d) Her family.
14. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to view it.
(b) She wants to study it.
(c) She wants to do it.
(d) She wants to sponsor them.
15. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
Short Answer Questions
1. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
2. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
3. What happens to a person who catches a glimpse of her beneath the water that reaches out to touch her?
4. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
5. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)