|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the spirit do to Philo?
(a) He makes her mute.
(b) He makes her go blind.
(c) He makes her ill.
(d) He makes her deaf.
2. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
(a) Ezili Freda.
(b) Ezili Asrial.
(c) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(d) Ezili Danto.
3. This chapter is a story about the life of Alourdes' ______________, Philomise.
4. She is seen as the image of what?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A mermaid or a whale.
(c) A fish or snake.
(d) A piece of seaweed.
5. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
(a) Help to cure his ailing son.
(b) Give him a son.
(c) Help him find his son.
(d) Protect his son.
6. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Do not believe in them.
(b) Create their own gods and spirits.
(c) Forget to worship them.
(d) Give them different names.
7. _________________ is a white woman.
(a) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(b) Ezili Asrial.
(c) Ezili Danto.
(d) Ezili Freda.
8. Each of these spirits exists in close relation to one another and, when considered as a group, are able to quite accurately paint a portrait of whom?
(a) All Haitian people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(b) The Haitian woman and the circumstances in which they exist.
(c) All people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(d) All women and the circumstances in which they exist.
9. What does this spirit love?
(a) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
(b) Teaching others.
(d) All men.
10. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
11. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(b) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(c) She wants to believe in something.
(d) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
12. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
(c) Dairy farm.
(d) Christmas tree farm.
13. What does this spirit tell her?
(a) How to find those who are lost.
(b) How to put a curse on someone.
(c) How to make treatments.
(d) How to get revenge.
14. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
15. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
(b) Her uterus.
(c) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(d) Her ovaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alourdes and Maggie have the responsibility of keeping the women of this line, Sina, Philo and beyond, as well as the family spirits, alive with what?
2. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
3. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
4. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
5. What will they be forever?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)