|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Danbala operates from the territory of ______________, asking questions.
(a) Blood and memory.
2. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(b) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(c) She wants to believe in something.
(d) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
3. Philo discovers she is pregnant and does everything she can think of to miscarry, as another mouth to feed is the last thing she needs. The spirit __________________ comes to her in a dream and tells her to stop trying to kill her baby.
(a) Lady of the Snows.
(b) Lady of the Sea.
(c) Lady of Lourdes.
(d) Lady of Guadeloupe.
4. Each of these spirits exists in close relation to one another and, when considered as a group, are able to quite accurately paint a portrait of whom?
(a) All Haitian people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(b) The Haitian woman and the circumstances in which they exist.
(c) All women and the circumstances in which they exist.
(d) All people and the circumstances in which they exist.
5. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
6. This spirit is the '______________ woman' of the female spirits.
7. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
8. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
(a) They will die.
(b) They will lose all power.
(c) They will lose their ancestral stories and their deepest connections to who they are.
(d) They will leave Haiti.
9. The first is a _____________ in order to dislodge the spirits in one's head.
(a) Head healing.
(b) Head washing.
(c) Head holding.
(d) Head cleansing.
10. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
(b) She does not trust him.
(c) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
(d) She does not want to help him.
11. Where does Papa Gede live?
(a) In the water.
(b) In the sky.
(c) In the church.
(d) In the cemetery.
12. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
13. What will they be forever?
(c) Spiritual friends.
(d) Brothers and sisters.
14. _________________ is a white woman.
(a) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(b) Ezili Asrial.
(c) Ezili Danto.
(d) Ezili Freda.
15. This chapter opens with Alourdes, Karen and a Jamaican woman named Mabel traveling to Jamaica and then onto Haiti in January of _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
2. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
3. What does this spirit love?
4. What does the spirit do to Philo?
5. He represents the idea that Haitians must connect to what, while shedding their skin and recreating themselves as needed?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)