|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Give them different names.
(b) Create their own gods and spirits.
(c) Do not believe in them.
(d) Forget to worship them.
2. All Vodou lwa are represented by what?
(a) A Catholic saint.
(b) The Apostles.
(c) Hindu gods.
3. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
4. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
5. What will they be forever?
(a) Spiritual friends.
(b) Brothers and sisters.
6. _________________ is a white woman.
(a) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(b) Ezili Freda.
(c) Ezili Asrial.
(d) Ezili Danto.
7. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
(a) It is something the doctors are unable to properly diagnose or cure.
(b) It continues to get worse with medical care.
(c) It has come upon her suddenly.
(d) It is a rare illness.
8. This chapter is about the female spirits who belong to the grouping known as ____________.
9. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
10. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
(a) Her own.
(b) The spirits'.
11. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
12. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
13. Why do they come to her apartment?
(a) To have a party in it.
(b) To bless it.
(c) To visit her.
(d) To see it.
14. What happens to a person who catches a glimpse of her beneath the water that reaches out to touch her?
(a) He or she is taken under the water and drowned.
(b) He or she loses his or her mind.
(c) He or she is blinded.
(d) He or she goes deaf.
15. She is seen as the image of what?
(a) A mermaid or a whale.
(b) A fish or snake.
(c) A turtle.
(d) A piece of seaweed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clement Rapelle, a Haitian man, dreams about a woman named Philomise who lives in a compound called _____________________.
2. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
3. In this chapter we learn that Vodou rituals are always opened with what?
4. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
5. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)