|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this spirit love?
(b) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
(c) All men.
(d) Teaching others.
2. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
(a) They will lose all power.
(b) They will die.
(c) They will leave Haiti.
(d) They will lose their ancestral stories and their deepest connections to who they are.
3. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
(a) Ezili Freda.
(b) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(c) Ezili Danto.
(d) Ezili Asrial.
4. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
5. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
6. What does this spirit tell her?
(a) How to put a curse on someone.
(b) How to find those who are lost.
(c) How to get revenge.
(d) How to make treatments.
7. Clement Rapelle, a Haitian man, dreams about a woman named Philomise who lives in a compound called _____________________.
(a) Seven Pennies from Heaven.
(b) Seven Deadly Sins.
(c) Seven Stabs of the Knife.
(d) Seventh Heaven.
8. Alourdes and Maggie have the responsibility of keeping the women of this line, Sina, Philo and beyond, as well as the family spirits, alive with what?
(b) Their memories.
(d) Ritual feeding.
9. This chapter is a story about the life of Alourdes' ______________, Philomise.
10. She is seen as the image of what?
(a) A mermaid or a whale.
(b) A piece of seaweed.
(c) A fish or snake.
(d) A turtle.
11. He represents the idea that Haitians must connect to what, while shedding their skin and recreating themselves as needed?
(a) Their lost African roots.
(b) Their lost spiritual guides.
(c) Their lost family members.
(d) Their lost culture.
12. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
(a) She does not believe she is capable of helping him.
(b) She does not want to help him.
(c) She does not trust him.
(d) The spirits have not come to her to explain how to treat the boy.
13. Where does Papa Gede live?
(a) In the cemetery.
(b) In the water.
(c) In the sky.
(d) In the church.
14. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
(b) Her family.
(c) The spirits.
(d) Her ancestors.
15. Why do they come to her apartment?
(a) To have a party in it.
(b) To bless it.
(c) To see it.
(d) To visit her.
Short Answer Questions
1. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
2. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
3. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
4. What does Karen decide?
5. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)