|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter is a story about the life of Alourdes' ______________, Philomise.
2. What will they be forever?
(a) Brothers and sisters.
(d) Spiritual friends.
3. This chapter opens with Alourdes, Karen and a Jamaican woman named Mabel traveling to Jamaica and then onto Haiti in January of _________.
4. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
(a) It is something the doctors are unable to properly diagnose or cure.
(b) It is a rare illness.
(c) It continues to get worse with medical care.
(d) It has come upon her suddenly.
5. According to the Vodou philosophy, the world is a precarious place, and it is naïve to think what?
(a) That one can navigate their life without the labor required to usher in good luck and stave off bad luck.
(b) That one can navigate their life without family.
(c) That one can navigate their life without money.
(d) That one can navigate their life without God.
6. What does Philo not want to do?
(a) Leave Haiti.
(b) Help others.
(c) Take on the responsibility.
(d) Put a curse on others.
7. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
(a) A bear.
(b) A giant cobra.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A saint.
8. It is explained to these four that after the initiation, Alourdes will be what?
(a) Their Vodou sister.
(b) Their Vodou mother.
(c) Their Vodou leader.
(d) Their Vodou spirit.
9. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
10. Second is called ____________, to transform suffering into power.
11. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
(a) The spirits.
(c) Her ancestors.
(d) Her family.
12. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to study it.
(b) She wants to sponsor them.
(c) She wants to view it.
(d) She wants to do it.
13. What does this spirit tell her?
(a) How to put a curse on someone.
(b) How to find those who are lost.
(c) How to get revenge.
(d) How to make treatments.
14. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(b) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(c) She wants to believe in something.
(d) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
15. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
Short Answer Questions
1. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
2. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
3. He represents the idea that Haitians must connect to what, while shedding their skin and recreating themselves as needed?
4. _________________ is a white woman.
5. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)