|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(b) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
(c) Her ovaries.
(d) Her uterus.
2. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The hall.
(c) The home.
(d) The church.
3. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to sponsor them.
(b) She wants to study it.
(c) She wants to do it.
(d) She wants to view it.
4. Why must this be dislodged?
(a) It is pressing on her brain stem.
(b) It has become imbedded.
(c) It is growing larger.
(d) It is blocking a major artery.
5. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
6. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
7. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
(a) Help him find his son.
(b) Protect his son.
(c) Help to cure his ailing son.
(d) Give him a son.
8. According to the Vodou philosophy, the world is a precarious place, and it is naïve to think what?
(a) That one can navigate their life without God.
(b) That one can navigate their life without money.
(c) That one can navigate their life without the labor required to usher in good luck and stave off bad luck.
(d) That one can navigate their life without family.
9. Philo discovers she is pregnant and does everything she can think of to miscarry, as another mouth to feed is the last thing she needs. The spirit __________________ comes to her in a dream and tells her to stop trying to kill her baby.
(a) Lady of Lourdes.
(b) Lady of the Sea.
(c) Lady of the Snows.
(d) Lady of Guadeloupe.
10. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(b) She wants to believe in something.
(c) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(d) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
11. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
(a) Of how she began her work in treating people.
(b) Of how she first came to Haiti.
(c) Of how she began studying Vodou.
(d) Of how she became a Haitian.
12. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
13. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
14. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
(a) Her sight is restored.
(b) Her hearing is restored.
(c) Her voice is restored.
(d) Her health is restored.
15. This chapter is about the female spirits who belong to the grouping known as ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
2. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
3. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
4. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
5. Where does Papa Gede live?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)