|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
(a) Her health is restored.
(b) Her voice is restored.
(c) Her sight is restored.
(d) Her hearing is restored.
2. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
(a) The spirits'.
(c) Her own.
3. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
(a) It continues to get worse with medical care.
(b) It is something the doctors are unable to properly diagnose or cure.
(c) It is a rare illness.
(d) It has come upon her suddenly.
4. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
(d) Love, wealth and honor.
5. What does the spirit do to Philo?
(a) He makes her go blind.
(b) He makes her ill.
(c) He makes her deaf.
(d) He makes her mute.
6. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
(a) Of how she began her work in treating people.
(b) Of how she first came to Haiti.
(c) Of how she became a Haitian.
(d) Of how she began studying Vodou.
7. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
8. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(b) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(c) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(d) She wants to believe in something.
9. Maggie is hospitalized with what?
(a) A mystery illness.
(c) A tumor.
10. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
11. What does Philo not want to do?
(a) Put a curse on others.
(b) Leave Haiti.
(c) Help others.
(d) Take on the responsibility.
12. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
13. Danbala operates from the territory of ______________, asking questions.
(a) Blood and memory.
14. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The home.
(d) The hall.
15. We learn that the main focus of Alourdes' healing energy is directed at what?
(a) The spirits on the land.
(b) Her family.
(c) The people who live on this land.
(d) The deeper issues that are uncovered during the course of her treatment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this spirit love?
2. What will they be forever?
3. Philo discovers she is pregnant and does everything she can think of to miscarry, as another mouth to feed is the last thing she needs. The spirit __________________ comes to her in a dream and tells her to stop trying to kill her baby.
4. When Karen decides to marry Papa Ogou, Alourdes tells her that she must also marry Papa Danbala. Why?
5. The litany of spirits and the litany of ancestral rite would be impossible to maintain in the realm of _________________ where the human and the divine are forbidden to mix.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)