|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter opens with Alourdes, Karen and a Jamaican woman named Mabel traveling to Jamaica and then onto Haiti in January of _________.
2. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
(d) Love, wealth and honor.
3. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(b) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(c) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(d) She wants to believe in something.
4. She was born by cesarean section weighing a record ______ pounds.
5. She is seen as the image of what?
(a) A fish or snake.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A mermaid or a whale.
(d) A piece of seaweed.
6. This chapter is about the female spirits who belong to the grouping known as ____________.
7. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
(a) Missing Mimose, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(b) Missing Maggie, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(c) Missing Miracle, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(d) Missing May, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
8. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
(b) Her ovaries.
(c) Her uterus.
(d) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
9. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
10. All Vodou lwa are represented by what?
(a) A Catholic saint.
(b) Hindu gods.
(c) The Apostles.
11. Clement Rapelle, a Haitian man, dreams about a woman named Philomise who lives in a compound called _____________________.
(a) Seven Stabs of the Knife.
(b) Seventh Heaven.
(c) Seven Pennies from Heaven.
(d) Seven Deadly Sins.
12. In this chapter we learn that Vodou rituals are always opened with what?
(a) Catholic prayer.
(b) Vodou prayer.
13. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
(a) How to cure Clement Rapelle's son.
(b) How to protect Clement Rapelle's son.
(c) How to give Clement Rapelle a son.
(d) How to find Clement Rapelle's son.
14. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
(a) Christmas tree farm.
(b) Dairy farm.
15. Alourdes has been hired to do some healing work for a woman in Kingston, as well as for Mabel's son. In Kingston, they meet _______________ who is devoutly attached to her Bible.
(a) Aunt Emily.
(b) Aunt Edna.
(c) Aunt Erin.
(d) Aunt Emma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a person who catches a glimpse of her beneath the water that reaches out to touch her?
2. Healers such as Alourdes are specialists who are for hire in order to do what?
3. Where does Papa Gede live?
4. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
5. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)