|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
2. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
(a) How to cure Clement Rapelle's son.
(b) How to give Clement Rapelle a son.
(c) How to find Clement Rapelle's son.
(d) How to protect Clement Rapelle's son.
3. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) Her ovaries.
(b) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(c) Her uterus.
(d) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
4. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
5. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
6. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
(a) Of how she first came to Haiti.
(b) Of how she became a Haitian.
(c) Of how she began studying Vodou.
(d) Of how she began her work in treating people.
7. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
8. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
9. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
(b) Christmas tree farm.
(d) Dairy farm.
10. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
(a) Protect his son.
(b) Give him a son.
(c) Help him find his son.
(d) Help to cure his ailing son.
11. Where does Papa Gede live?
(a) In the water.
(b) In the church.
(c) In the sky.
(d) In the cemetery.
12. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
13. Danbala operates from the territory of ______________, asking questions.
(b) Blood and memory.
14. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
15. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Forget to worship them.
(b) Give them different names.
(c) Create their own gods and spirits.
(d) Do not believe in them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this Karen's decision?
2. What does the spirit do to Philo?
3. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
4. Healers such as Alourdes are specialists who are for hire in order to do what?
5. Alourdes and Maggie have the responsibility of keeping the women of this line, Sina, Philo and beyond, as well as the family spirits, alive with what?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)