|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
(a) Ezili Freda.
(b) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(c) Ezili Asrial.
(d) Ezili Danto.
2. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
(a) They will die.
(b) They will leave Haiti.
(c) They will lose their ancestral stories and their deepest connections to who they are.
(d) They will lose all power.
3. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
(a) Dairy farm.
(d) Christmas tree farm.
4. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
(a) Of how she became a Haitian.
(b) Of how she began her work in treating people.
(c) Of how she first came to Haiti.
(d) Of how she began studying Vodou.
5. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
(d) Love, wealth and honor.
6. This chapter is a story about the life of Alourdes' ______________, Philomise.
7. This spirit is the '______________ woman' of the female spirits.
8. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
(a) Devil-worshipper as well.
(b) Vodou priestess.
(c) Vodou practitioner.
9. In this chapter we learn that Vodou rituals are always opened with what?
(a) Catholic prayer.
(b) Vodou prayer.
10. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
(a) Her family.
(c) The spirits.
(d) Her ancestors.
11. After losing this, she subsequently had a dream of what?
(a) Looking for the spirits.
(c) Losing her daughter.
(d) Being pursued by the spirits and meeting them with resistance.
12. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
(a) Her sight is restored.
(b) Her hearing is restored.
(c) Her health is restored.
(d) Her voice is restored.
13. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
(a) Help to cure his ailing son.
(b) Give him a son.
(c) Protect his son.
(d) Help him find his son.
14. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
15. What will they be forever?
(a) Spiritual friends.
(b) Brothers and sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
2. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
3. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
4. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
5. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)