|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. She is seen as the image of what?
(a) A fish or snake.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A mermaid or a whale.
(d) A piece of seaweed.
2. After losing this, she subsequently had a dream of what?
(a) Losing her daughter.
(c) Being pursued by the spirits and meeting them with resistance.
(d) Looking for the spirits.
3. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
(c) The spirits'.
(d) Her own.
4. Clement Rapelle, a Haitian man, dreams about a woman named Philomise who lives in a compound called _____________________.
(a) Seventh Heaven.
(b) Seven Stabs of the Knife.
(c) Seven Pennies from Heaven.
(d) Seven Deadly Sins.
5. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
(b) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(c) She wants to believe in something.
(d) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
6. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
(a) A saint.
(b) A giant cobra.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A bear.
7. The first is a _____________ in order to dislodge the spirits in one's head.
(a) Head holding.
(b) Head healing.
(c) Head washing.
(d) Head cleansing.
8. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
(a) Missing May, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(b) Missing Miracle, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(c) Missing Maggie, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(d) Missing Mimose, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
9. What does this spirit tell her?
(a) How to make treatments.
(b) How to put a curse on someone.
(c) How to find those who are lost.
(d) How to get revenge.
10. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
11. This chapter opens with Alourdes, Karen and a Jamaican woman named Mabel traveling to Jamaica and then onto Haiti in January of _________.
12. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
(a) How to cure Clement Rapelle's son.
(b) How to give Clement Rapelle a son.
(c) How to protect Clement Rapelle's son.
(d) How to find Clement Rapelle's son.
13. Where does Papa Gede live?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the sky.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the cemetery.
14. What happens to a person who catches a glimpse of her beneath the water that reaches out to touch her?
(a) He or she is taken under the water and drowned.
(b) He or she is blinded.
(c) He or she loses his or her mind.
(d) He or she goes deaf.
15. In this chapter, Alourdes, Maggie, Karen, Big Daddy and Maggie's children arrive at Karen's new ______________ apartment in Manhattan.
(b) Lower East Side.
(d) West Village.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is explained to these four that after the initiation, Alourdes will be what?
2. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
3. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
4. Philo discovers she is pregnant and does everything she can think of to miscarry, as another mouth to feed is the last thing she needs. The spirit __________________ comes to her in a dream and tells her to stop trying to kill her baby.
5. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)