|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________________ is a white woman.
(a) Ezili Lasyrenn.
(b) Ezili Asrial.
(c) Ezili Danto.
(d) Ezili Freda.
2. When Karen decides to marry Papa Ogou, Alourdes tells her that she must also marry Papa Danbala. Why?
(a) So she may have two husbands.
(b) For the sake of honor.
(c) For the sake of balance.
(d) So he will not be lonely.
3. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to sponsor them.
(b) She wants to study it.
(c) She wants to do it.
(d) She wants to view it.
4. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
5. He represents the idea that Haitians must connect to what, while shedding their skin and recreating themselves as needed?
(a) Their lost spiritual guides.
(b) Their lost culture.
(c) Their lost African roots.
(d) Their lost family members.
6. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
(a) Vodou priestess.
(b) Devil-worshipper as well.
(c) Vodou practitioner.
7. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
8. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
9. Each of these spirits exists in close relation to one another and, when considered as a group, are able to quite accurately paint a portrait of whom?
(a) All Haitian people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(b) All people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(c) The Haitian woman and the circumstances in which they exist.
(d) All women and the circumstances in which they exist.
10. What does this spirit love?
(a) Teaching others.
(b) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
(c) All men.
11. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
(a) The church.
(b) The home.
(c) The hall.
(d) The cemetery.
12. This spirit is the '______________ woman' of the female spirits.
13. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
(a) A mermaid.
(b) A giant cobra.
(c) A bear.
(d) A saint.
14. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
15. In this chapter, Alourdes, Maggie, Karen, Big Daddy and Maggie's children arrive at Karen's new ______________ apartment in Manhattan.
(b) Lower East Side.
(c) West Village.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
2. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
3. After losing this, she subsequently had a dream of what?
4. She is seen as the image of what?
5. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)