|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This spirit is the '______________ woman' of the female spirits.
2. It is explained to these four that after the initiation, Alourdes will be what?
(a) Their Vodou leader.
(b) Their Vodou mother.
(c) Their Vodou spirit.
(d) Their Vodou sister.
3. Alourdes remembers whose birth?
(a) The spirits'.
(b) Her own.
4. In this chapter we learn that Vodou rituals are always opened with what?
(c) Vodou prayer.
(d) Catholic prayer.
5. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
6. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
(a) The spirits.
(c) Her ancestors.
(d) Her family.
7. Where does Papa Gede live?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the cemetery.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the sky.
8. What does Alourdes ask Karen?
(a) If she would like to watch the ritual initiation.
(b) If she would like to research initiation.
(c) If she would like to sponsor those going to be initiated.
(d) If she would like to undergo the ritual initiation as well.
9. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
(a) Devil-worshipper as well.
(c) Vodou priestess.
(d) Vodou practitioner.
10. What does this spirit love?
(a) All men.
(b) Teaching others.
(d) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
11. The first is a _____________ in order to dislodge the spirits in one's head.
(a) Head cleansing.
(b) Head washing.
(c) Head healing.
(d) Head holding.
12. All four successfully survive the initiation. The story jumps to some years later in Alourdes' Brooklyn basement where the three surviving siblings of the initiation are doing what?
(a) Missing Maggie, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(b) Missing Miracle, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(c) Missing Mimose, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
(d) Missing May, who is killed in the spring of 1987.
13. This spirit is never satisfied, always craving more ____________________.
(c) Love, wealth and honor.
14. During this procedure, she dreams of ____________ that makes her swear she will take the ason. She does swear it, and the medical procedure is a success.
(a) A giant cobra.
(b) A mermaid.
(c) A saint.
(d) A bear.
15. ____________________ when she agrees to return to her family land in Jean Rabel to give a feast for the family spirits.
(a) Her sight is restored.
(b) Her health is restored.
(c) Her voice is restored.
(d) Her hearing is restored.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the year ___________, both Maggie and Alourdes are confronted with the question--who are my people?
2. Alourdes has been hired to do some healing work for a woman in Kingston, as well as for Mabel's son. In Kingston, they meet _______________ who is devoutly attached to her Bible.
3. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
4. What does the spirit do to Philo?
5. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)