|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Papa Gede live?
(a) In the sky.
(b) In the water.
(c) In the cemetery.
(d) In the church.
2. Alourdes has been hired to do some healing work for a woman in Kingston, as well as for Mabel's son. In Kingston, they meet _______________ who is devoutly attached to her Bible.
(a) Aunt Erin.
(b) Aunt Emily.
(c) Aunt Emma.
(d) Aunt Edna.
3. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
4. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) Her uterus.
(b) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(c) Her ovaries.
(d) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
5. Why do they come to her apartment?
(a) To have a party in it.
(b) To visit her.
(c) To bless it.
(d) To see it.
6. Each of these spirits exists in close relation to one another and, when considered as a group, are able to quite accurately paint a portrait of whom?
(a) The Haitian woman and the circumstances in which they exist.
(b) All Haitian people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(c) All people and the circumstances in which they exist.
(d) All women and the circumstances in which they exist.
7. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
8. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
9. In July of 1981, they travel to Haiti and meet up with a Haitian woman named ____________ who will undergo the initiation as well.
10. It is explained to these four that after the initiation, Alourdes will be what?
(a) Their Vodou sister.
(b) Their Vodou leader.
(c) Their Vodou spirit.
(d) Their Vodou mother.
11. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
(b) Christmas tree farm.
(d) Dairy farm.
12. According to the Vodou philosophy, the world is a precarious place, and it is naïve to think what?
(a) That one can navigate their life without God.
(b) That one can navigate their life without the labor required to usher in good luck and stave off bad luck.
(c) That one can navigate their life without money.
(d) That one can navigate their life without family.
13. What will they be forever?
(c) Spiritual friends.
(d) Brothers and sisters.
14. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
15. Back to the present time in the hospital, Maggie is undergoing a procedure where what must be dislodged?
(a) The tube in her stomach into which her fluids are draining.
(b) The cancer.
(c) The tumor.
(d) A growth.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
2. Alourdes and Maggie have the responsibility of keeping the women of this line, Sina, Philo and beyond, as well as the family spirits, alive with what?
3. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
4. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
5. What does Alourdes ask Karen?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)