|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. First, upon arrival in Haiti, the group visits _______________ where a ritual cleansing is performed.
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The hall.
(d) The home.
2. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to study it.
(b) She wants to do it.
(c) She wants to view it.
(d) She wants to sponsor them.
3. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
4. They are made to understand that they cannot reveal exactly what occurs in the initiation chamber; to do so is to cause what?
(a) Destruction of the family.
(b) The end of Vodou.
(c) Your own death.
(d) The separation of the initiate from the spirits.
5. This chapter opens with Alourdes, Karen and a Jamaican woman named Mabel traveling to Jamaica and then onto Haiti in January of _________.
6. In this chapter, Alourdes, Maggie, Karen, Big Daddy and Maggie's children arrive at Karen's new ______________ apartment in Manhattan.
(b) Lower East Side.
(c) West Village.
7. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
(a) How to cure Clement Rapelle's son.
(b) How to find Clement Rapelle's son.
(c) How to protect Clement Rapelle's son.
(d) How to give Clement Rapelle a son.
8. How do they know this illness is a sure sign of illness caused by the spirits?
(a) It has come upon her suddenly.
(b) It is a rare illness.
(c) It is something the doctors are unable to properly diagnose or cure.
(d) It continues to get worse with medical care.
9. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
10. Maggie tells the story of losing a ___________ (an important item in Vodou initiation rituals.) while in Haiti.
11. What does this spirit love?
(a) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
(b) Teaching others.
(c) All men.
12. At the end of the blessing, Alourdes mentions to Karen that Maggie is going to __________ (undergo the ritual initiation into Vodou) in July.
13. The first is a _____________ in order to dislodge the spirits in one's head.
(a) Head washing.
(b) Head healing.
(c) Head holding.
(d) Head cleansing.
14. The prefix of the word Danbala is Da, meaning ___________.
15. What does the spirit do to Philo?
(a) He makes her go blind.
(b) He makes her deaf.
(c) He makes her ill.
(d) He makes her mute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alourdes, Mabel and Karen travel to a large _______________ in Kingston where Alourdes is to "treat" a parcel of land the owner needs to sell.
2. When he finds her, she repeatedly refuses service to him. Why?
3. ______________ is the mother, the one who bears the children.
4. There are ___________ levels of initiation into Vodou.
5. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)