|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______________ is an elusive creature of the deep sea, a siren.
2. After losing this, she subsequently had a dream of what?
(b) Being pursued by the spirits and meeting them with resistance.
(c) Losing her daughter.
(d) Looking for the spirits.
3. Alourdes tells the story of a potential client who is a member of a devil-worship group, and she explains that she is a ______________.
(a) Vodou practitioner.
(b) Vodou priestess.
(d) Devil-worshipper as well.
4. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
(b) The spirits.
(c) Her family.
(d) Her ancestors.
5. Alourdes maintains that there is only one God, and one set of spirits, but different kinds of people in different kinds of religions do what?
(a) Give them different names.
(b) Forget to worship them.
(c) Do not believe in them.
(d) Create their own gods and spirits.
6. The spirit, __________, comes to her in a dream.
7. It is noted that what was removed at the same time?
(a) The fetus of a partially formed twin brother.
(b) The fetus of a partially formed twin sister.
(c) Her ovaries.
(d) Her uterus.
8. Philo catches the black fever plaguing Haiti. During her recovery, Ageou visits Philo in a dream and tells her what?
(a) How to find Clement Rapelle's son.
(b) How to cure Clement Rapelle's son.
(c) How to protect Clement Rapelle's son.
(d) How to give Clement Rapelle a son.
9. This chapter is about the female spirits who belong to the grouping known as ____________.
10. Philo discovers she is pregnant and does everything she can think of to miscarry, as another mouth to feed is the last thing she needs. The spirit __________________ comes to her in a dream and tells her to stop trying to kill her baby.
(a) Lady of the Sea.
(b) Lady of Lourdes.
(c) Lady of the Snows.
(d) Lady of Guadeloupe.
11. This mothering spirit is tough and strict and sometimes very ____________.
12. What does Karen decide?
(a) She wants to do it.
(b) She wants to sponsor them.
(c) She wants to view it.
(d) She wants to study it.
13. Clement Rapelle, a Haitian man, dreams about a woman named Philomise who lives in a compound called _____________________.
(a) Seventh Heaven.
(b) Seven Stabs of the Knife.
(c) Seven Deadly Sins.
(d) Seven Pennies from Heaven.
14. Healers such as Alourdes are specialists who are for hire in order to do what?
(a) Bring peace to all Haitians.
(b) Make the spirits happy.
(c) Talk to the spirits.
(d) Assist in the labor required to orchestrate good luck.
15. What does this spirit love?
(a) Fine clothes and jewelry and French perfume.
(b) All men.
(d) Teaching others.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spirit Papa Danbala is very _________, so when he "mounts" his horse, or manbo, in the possession-performance, he utters sounds only and does not speak.
2. Each of these women represents a generational link in a chain that, if broken, will cause what to happen to future generations?
3. What does Alourdes ask Karen?
4. In time, the two become friends, and she tells him what story?
5. This spirit goes absolutely wildly out of control at the sight of ______________.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)