|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
(a) Gros Vignon.
(b) Gros Morne.
(c) Gros Balance.
(d) Gros Cajou.
2. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
(a) The mall.
(b) The market.
(c) The town hall.
(d) The school.
3. In ______________, Alourdes' son William, who is mentally retarded, is arrested for a purse snatching.
(a) April of 1981.
(b) November of 1981.
(c) March of 1981.
(d) January of 1981.
4. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
5. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Victor.
(b) Madame Vichy.
(c) Madame Victoria.
(d) Madame Valeria.
6. Mauvant is what they call a _____________________ or a true African who has the spirits "on him" always.
7. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) Until early in the evening.
(b) For the next week.
(c) Until early in the morning the next day.
(d) Until late at night.
8. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
(a) The economic status of all Haitians.
(b) The economics of women's lives.
(c) The relationships between men and women.
(d) The history of Haitian politics.
9. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
(a) A Manje pov.
(b) Monji pav.
(c) Panje mov.
(d) Ponji mav.
10. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
(a) Take a relaxing vacation.
(b) Journey back into the mountains
(c) Move to the States.
(d) Journey to Port au Prince.
11. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) Other women.
(c) An otherwise male-dominated culture.
(d) Those who are not a part of the culture.
12. In what town does the story take place?
(a) Jean Rabel.
(c) Port au Prince.
13. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
(a) Close up shop and immediately leave town.
(b) Care for Sina.
(c) Stay in her home.
(d) Continue as if nothing has happened.
14. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
15. The incident shows that McCarthy Brown is what?
(a) A liar.
(b) A devoted friend to Alourdes and her family.
(c) Very intelligent.
(d) A good lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is agreed upon between Mama Lola and Karen?
2. What does Philo realize?
3. In the market of _____________, Philo finds her sister, Gloria.
4. What is the setting?
5. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)