|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Azaka goes about his business first, settling outstanding loans from what, and then selling the goods from his altar to the guests?
(a) Car sales.
(b) Apartment rental.
(c) The market.
(d) The previous year's party.
2. For Alourdes, it is a journey long overdue to do what?
(a) Teach others about Vodou.
(b) Learn the history of Haiti.
(c) Relax and enjoy life.
(d) Pay homage to the spirits.
3. The compound is a grouping of huts for whom?
(a) The children of the community.
(b) The Mauvant family's grown children and their children as well.
(c) The leaders of the community.
(d) All the families in town.
4. How do Alourdes and Maggie feel about the idea of having to deal with the American police?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are excited.
(c) They are terrified.
(d) They are annoyed.
5. Alourdes' mother, Philomise, is the _________ child born to them.
6. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Not work for her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Kill her.
7. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Kick him out.
(b) Build him a hut in the compound.
(c) Put him in jail.
(d) Force him to marry Sina.
8. The first chapter of the book begins where?
(a) In Brooklyn.
(b) In the rural mountains of Haiti.
(c) In the city of Port au Prince.
(d) In TriBeCa.
9. Philo is treated very poorly, and at the age of ____________, she runs away.
10. What happens to Sina shortly after this?
(a) She is poisoned and killed.
(b) She becomes a manbo.
(c) She moves back into the country.
(d) She returns to the United States.
11. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
(d) Mama Lola.
12. Sina realizes that Macena will not leave the family compound, so she and her eldest daughter, Gloria, decide to do what?
(a) Move to a neighboring town.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Convince him to leave.
(d) Remove him from the compound.
13. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
(c) An ason.
14. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
(a) Mama Lola's brother.
(b) Mama Lola's father.
(c) Mama Lola's grandfather.
(d) Mama Lola's great grandfather.
15. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
(a) She loves Karen.
(b) She worries about Karen.
(c) In order to determine how involved she should become within the world of Vodou.
(d) She respects Karen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
2. In ______________, Alourdes' son William, who is mentally retarded, is arrested for a purse snatching.
3. Where is this ritual feeding held?
4. What is agreed upon between Mama Lola and Karen?
5. Why is Azaka mad?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)