|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the end, what happens in William's case?
(a) He is given community service.
(b) He is put in prison.
(c) All charges are dropped.
(d) He is placed in a mental institution.
2. What is the setting?
(a) The Mauvant family store.
(b) The Mauvant family compound.
(c) The town hall.
(d) The town market.
3. He comes to town alone, speaking of having done what?
(a) Broken with his family.
(b) Spoken to the spirits.
(c) Left the military.
(d) Killed his family.
4. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
(a) An e-mail.
(b) Her dream.
(c) A letter.
(d) A phone call.
5. This is done around ____________.
(a) 4:00 p.m.
(b) 8:00 p.m.
(c) 8:00 a.m.
(d) 4:00 a.m.
6. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
(a) In the center square.
(b) Outside the general store.
(c) Beneath the cottonsilk tree.
(d) On his porch.
7. Fouchard feeds Sina and gives her a place to rest whenever she comes to town to sell her goods at the market. Why does Fouchard do this?
(a) She is Sina's aunt.
(b) She cares for Sina.
(c) She is a kind woman.
(d) She knows that these favors will oblige Sina to her.
8. When Alourdes is possessed by Ogou, the __________ is always wielded.
9. He is a "grimo," or _____________ man.
10. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
(a) The economic status of all Haitians.
(b) The economics of women's lives.
(c) The relationships between men and women.
(d) The history of Haitian politics.
11. What should Karen take?
(a) A course in Vodou.
(b) First Communion.
(c) The initiation rite.
(d) A walk through a cemetery.
12. In Haiti, before she moved to America, Alourdes, like most other Haitian women, did whatever it took to feed herself and her family, including what?
(a) Giving away her children.
(b) Cooking for wealthy families.
(c) Bartering with sex.
(d) Selling precious items.
13. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Vichy.
(b) Madame Victor.
(c) Madame Victoria.
(d) Madame Valeria.
14. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is ignoring her.
(b) Azaka is speaking to her.
(c) Azaka is praising her.
(d) Azaka is punishing her.
15. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
(a) Continue as if nothing has happened.
(b) Stay in her home.
(c) Care for Sina.
(d) Close up shop and immediately leave town.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter about the spirit Azaka, or "Kouzen Zaka" begins with Karen telling the story of her journey to Mama Lola's home in ______________.
2. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
3. What does Philo realize?
4. Does Joseph Binbin Mauvant like Macena?
5. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)