|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
(a) She is to return to Haiti to train as a manbo.
(b) She is to move back to Haiti.
(c) She is to train as a manbo in Brooklyn.
(d) She is to become a spirit.
2. In ______________, Alourdes' son William, who is mentally retarded, is arrested for a purse snatching.
(a) March of 1981.
(b) January of 1981.
(c) April of 1981.
(d) November of 1981.
3. What is agreed upon between Mama Lola and Karen?
(a) Karen should stay away from Vodou.
(b) Karen should marry Mama Lola's brother.
(c) Karen should call Papa Ogou.
(d) Karen should move to Haiti.
4. She is taken back to _______________.
(a) Gros Cheval.
(b) Gros Morne.
(c) Gros Cabrit.
(d) Gros Bassin.
5. The first chapter of the book begins where?
(a) In TriBeCa.
(b) In the rural mountains of Haiti.
(c) In the city of Port au Prince.
(d) In Brooklyn.
6. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
(a) Care for Sina.
(b) Stay in her home.
(c) Close up shop and immediately leave town.
(d) Continue as if nothing has happened.
7. When Karen arrives, where does she find Mama Lola?
(a) In a trance.
(b) Slumped against the table.
(d) In the kitchen cooking.
8. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
(a) Gros Cajou.
(b) Gros Morne.
(c) Gros Balance.
(d) Gros Vignon.
9. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
(a) In order to determine how involved she should become within the world of Vodou.
(b) She respects Karen.
(c) She worries about Karen.
(d) She loves Karen.
10. The day arrives when a ________ (an evil spirit, in this case, a two legged horse which stands straight like a man) visits Madame Fouchard in the middle of the night.
11. This chapter we learn more about Kouzinn, the spirit who is what?
(a) The male counterpart to Azaka.
(b) Mama Lola's spiritual advisor.
(c) Azaka's brother.
(d) The female counterpart to Azaka.
12. Kouzinn is _____________, a trade that is key to the survival for the poor women of Haiti.
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A healer.
(d) A market woman.
13. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
(b) Spending time with family.
(c) Making friends.
14. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
(a) A Vodou spirit.
(b) The American police force.
(c) Certain authority.
(d) Bad luck.
15. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
2. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
3. In this chapter we learn about Alourdes' Grandmother, ______________.
4. For Alourdes, it is a journey long overdue to do what?
5. What is the setting?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)