|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Unfortunately, Fouchard's plan all along is to do what?
(a) Utilize Philo as a maid whom she will not have to pay.
(b) Sell Philo.
(c) Return Philo to her mother as soon as possible.
(d) Have Philo be the daughter she always wanted.
2. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
(a) Fascination and expectation.
(b) Anger and fear.
(c) Fear and excitement.
(d) Annoyance and fear.
3. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
(a) She acts as William's lawyer.
(b) She translates for them.
(c) She pays for William's bail.
(d) She steps in to assist in the process.
4. Azaka goes about his business first, settling outstanding loans from what, and then selling the goods from his altar to the guests?
(a) The market.
(b) Car sales.
(c) Apartment rental.
(d) The previous year's party.
5. When she first meets Alphonse Macena, she is just a girl of __________.
6. Often this way of thinking can lead a Haitian woman into what?
(a) High-risk situations.
(b) A great depression.
(d) Service of the spirits.
7. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Vichy.
(b) Madame Valeria.
(c) Madame Victor.
(d) Madame Victoria.
8. The first chapter of the book begins where?
(a) In the rural mountains of Haiti.
(b) In TriBeCa.
(c) In Brooklyn.
(d) In the city of Port au Prince.
9. Azaka offers the rest of his altar food to his guests, doles out messages to the individual guests and instructs them how to do what?
(a) Dismantle his altar.
(b) Pay for his services.
(c) Worship him.
(d) Live their lives
10. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) An exciting.
(b) An easy.
(c) A grueling.
(d) A strange.
11. What should Karen take?
(a) A course in Vodou.
(b) The initiation rite.
(c) A walk through a cemetery.
(d) First Communion.
12. There are _______ different subdivisions of Ogou.
(a) Very few.
(b) A few.
13. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) Until early in the morning the next day.
(b) Until early in the evening.
(c) Until late at night.
(d) For the next week.
14. In Haiti, before she moved to America, Alourdes, like most other Haitian women, did whatever it took to feed herself and her family, including what?
(a) Selling precious items.
(b) Bartering with sex.
(c) Cooking for wealthy families.
(d) Giving away her children.
15. What is the setting?
(a) The Mauvant family compound.
(b) The town hall.
(c) The town market.
(d) The Mauvant family store.
Short Answer Questions
1. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
2. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
3. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
4. This occurs right around the time when Sina must do what?
5. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)