|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philo realize?
(a) She must ignore the spirits.
(b) She must serve the spirits and take up her mother's legacy.
(c) She must return to New York.
(d) She misses Luc.
2. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
(a) The economics of women's lives.
(b) The relationships between men and women.
(c) The economic status of all Haitians.
(d) The history of Haitian politics.
3. Philo is treated very poorly, and at the age of ____________, she runs away.
4. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
(a) A surprise.
(b) A birthday.
(c) An anniversary.
(d) A pizza.
5. The chapter about the spirit Azaka, or "Kouzen Zaka" begins with Karen telling the story of her journey to Mama Lola's home in ______________.
(a) May of 1982.
(b) May of 1984.
(c) May of 1983.
(d) May of 1981.
6. For Alourdes, it is a journey long overdue to do what?
(a) Relax and enjoy life.
(b) Learn the history of Haiti.
(c) Teach others about Vodou.
(d) Pay homage to the spirits.
7. Fouchard feeds Sina and gives her a place to rest whenever she comes to town to sell her goods at the market. Why does Fouchard do this?
(a) She is a kind woman.
(b) She is Sina's aunt.
(c) She knows that these favors will oblige Sina to her.
(d) She cares for Sina.
8. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
(a) A phone call.
(b) Her dream.
(c) A letter.
(d) An e-mail.
9. When Karen arrives, where does she find Mama Lola?
(a) Slumped against the table.
(b) In a trance.
(c) In the kitchen cooking.
10. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
(a) Mama Lola's father.
(b) Mama Lola's brother.
(c) Mama Lola's grandfather.
(d) Mama Lola's great grandfather.
11. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
(a) The school.
(b) The town hall.
(c) The market.
(d) The mall.
12. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) An easy.
(b) A strange.
(c) An exciting.
(d) A grueling.
13. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(c) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
(d) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
14. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
(b) Spending time with family.
(c) Making friends.
15. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
(a) Certain authority.
(b) The American police force.
(c) A Vodou spirit.
(d) Bad luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. This occurs right around the time when Sina must do what?
2. The story begins on __________ early morning.
3. The day arrives when a ________ (an evil spirit, in this case, a two legged horse which stands straight like a man) visits Madame Fouchard in the middle of the night.
4. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
5. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)