|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Leve Jipon Fanm-nan, meaning "Raise that Woman's Petticoat?"
(a) Macena's dog.
(b) Macena's favorite cock.
(c) Macena's best friend.
(d) Macena's servant.
2. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
(a) Ponji mav.
(b) Panje mov.
(c) A Manje pov.
(d) Monji pav.
3. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) An exciting.
(b) A strange.
(c) An easy.
(d) A grueling.
4. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) Until early in the morning the next day.
(b) Until early in the evening.
(c) For the next week.
(d) Until late at night.
5. While power liberates, it also can do what to those who wield it?
(a) Increase their power.
(b) Betray and destroy.
(c) Encourage them to do good with their power.
(d) Spread their power.
6. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
(a) A Vodou spirit.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Certain authority.
(d) The American police force.
7. In the market of _____________, Philo finds her sister, Gloria.
8. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
(a) Sina needs the money Madame Fouchard gives her for taking in Philo.
(b) Sina does not like Philo.
(c) Sina knows that a single mother raising three children will not be able to provide a very good life for them.
(d) Sina knows that Madame Fouchard has control over her.
9. Why does he fund this?
(a) So that Philo can be reunited with Sina.
(b) So that Philo will leave him alone.
(c) So that Philo can have a vacation.
(d) So that Philo will be happy.
10. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
11. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is ignoring her.
(b) Azaka is praising her.
(c) Azaka is punishing her.
(d) Azaka is speaking to her.
12. What does Mauvant vomit up?
(a) A small, smooth stone.
(b) His lunch.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A diamond.
13. Sina realizes that Macena will not leave the family compound, so she and her eldest daughter, Gloria, decide to do what?
(a) Convince him to leave.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Remove him from the compound.
(d) Move to a neighboring town.
14. She is taken back to _______________.
(a) Gros Cheval.
(b) Gros Bassin.
(c) Gros Cabrit.
(d) Gros Morne.
15. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
(a) She is to become a spirit.
(b) She is to move back to Haiti.
(c) She is to return to Haiti to train as a manbo.
(d) She is to train as a manbo in Brooklyn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
2. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
3. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
4. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
5. This occurs right around the time when Sina must do what?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)