|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town does the story take place?
(a) Jean Rabel.
(b) Port au Prince.
2. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Build him a hut in the compound.
(b) Kick him out.
(c) Put him in jail.
(d) Force him to marry Sina.
3. By the end of this chapter, Alourdes does what for Karen?
(a) Puts in a good word for her with the spirits.
(b) Buys her supplies for being a manbo.
(c) Prays for her.
(d) Reads her cards.
4. When do the preparations for the party begin?
(a) Around 10:00 at night.
(b) Around 5:00 in the morning.
(c) Around 10:00 in the morning.
(d) Around 5:00 in then evening.
5. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He tells stories.
(b) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
(c) He talks to the spirits.
(d) He sleeps.
6. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) Those who are not a part of the culture.
(c) Other women.
(d) An otherwise male-dominated culture.
7. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) An easy.
(b) A grueling.
(c) An exciting.
(d) A strange.
8. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
(c) An ason.
9. He comes to town alone, speaking of having done what?
(a) Broken with his family.
(b) Left the military.
(c) Killed his family.
(d) Spoken to the spirits.
10. Sina realizes that Macena will not leave the family compound, so she and her eldest daughter, Gloria, decide to do what?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Move to a neighboring town.
(c) Remove him from the compound.
(d) Convince him to leave.
11. She is taken back to _______________.
(a) Gros Cabrit.
(b) Gros Cheval.
(c) Gros Bassin.
(d) Gros Morne.
12. Who should Karen marry?
(a) Mama Lola's brother.
(b) Mama Lola's son.
(c) Papa Ogou.
(d) Papa Gedes.
13. What is the beaded rattle used to leverage the spirit world?
(a) An axon.
(b) An afon.
(c) An acon.
(d) An ason.
14. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is speaking to her.
(b) Azaka is ignoring her.
(c) Azaka is praising her.
(d) Azaka is punishing her.
15. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
(a) Bad luck.
(b) A Vodou spirit.
(c) Certain authority.
(d) The American police force.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCarthy Brown recounts in this chapter a trip she and Alourdes make together in ________ to Haiti.
2. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
3. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
4. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
5. In this chapter we learn about Alourdes' Grandmother, ______________.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)