|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The capital earned by this career gives her leverage over what?
(a) Those who are not a part of the culture.
(b) Other women.
(c) An otherwise male-dominated culture.
(d) The wealthy.
2. Who should Karen marry?
(a) Papa Ogou.
(b) Mama Lola's brother.
(c) Mama Lola's son.
(d) Papa Gedes.
3. Often this way of thinking can lead a Haitian woman into what?
(a) Service of the spirits.
(b) A great depression.
(c) High-risk situations.
4. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
5. Why is Azaka mad?
(a) Azaka does not want Alourdes to throw him a party.
(b) Azaka thinks Alourdes is not going to throw him a party.
(c) Azaka is in a bad mood.
(d) Azaka thinks Alourdes does not love him.
6. How old is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
7. Kouzinn is _____________, a trade that is key to the survival for the poor women of Haiti.
(a) A teacher.
(b) A market woman.
(c) A healer.
(d) A doctor.
8. This occurs right around the time when Sina must do what?
(a) Return to her family's home.
(b) Become a spirit.
(c) Move to Gros Morne to escape Macena.
(d) Move to the United States.
9. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
10. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
(a) Mama Lola's grandfather.
(b) Mama Lola's great grandfather.
(c) Mama Lola's brother.
(d) Mama Lola's father.
11. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
(a) On his porch.
(b) In the center square.
(c) Outside the general store.
(d) Beneath the cottonsilk tree.
12. What does Mauvant vomit up?
(a) A spirit.
(b) His lunch.
(c) A small, smooth stone.
(d) A diamond.
13. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
(a) She steps in to assist in the process.
(b) She pays for William's bail.
(c) She translates for them.
(d) She acts as William's lawyer.
14. Marie Noelsine is befriended by Madame Fouchard, the local _____________ in Port-de-Paix.
(a) Store keeper.
(c) School teacher.
(d) Religious leader.
15. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
(c) Mama Lola.
Short Answer Questions
1. He comes to town alone, speaking of having done what?
2. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
3. By the end of this chapter, Alourdes does what for Karen?
4. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
5. What does Philo realize?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)