|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mama Lola takes the ________ like her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.
2. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
3. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Not work for her.
(c) Ignore her.
(d) Help her.
4. What should Karen take?
(a) A course in Vodou.
(b) First Communion.
(c) The initiation rite.
(d) A walk through a cemetery.
5. This chapter we learn more about Kouzinn, the spirit who is what?
(a) The female counterpart to Azaka.
(b) Mama Lola's spiritual advisor.
(c) The male counterpart to Azaka.
(d) Azaka's brother.
6. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Build him a hut in the compound.
(b) Force him to marry Sina.
(c) Kick him out.
(d) Put him in jail.
7. Philo is treated very poorly, and at the age of ____________, she runs away.
8. This occurs right around the time when Sina must do what?
(a) Return to her family's home.
(b) Become a spirit.
(c) Move to Gros Morne to escape Macena.
(d) Move to the United States.
9. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
(a) A surprise.
(b) A birthday.
(c) An anniversary.
(d) A pizza.
10. Why does he fund this?
(a) So that Philo can be reunited with Sina.
(b) So that Philo will be happy.
(c) So that Philo can have a vacation.
(d) So that Philo will leave him alone.
11. Ogou teaches that in order to live, one must do what?
12. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is speaking to her.
(b) Azaka is ignoring her.
(c) Azaka is punishing her.
(d) Azaka is praising her.
13. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her influence among the authorities.
(b) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her intelligence.
14. Marie Noelsine is befriended by Madame Fouchard, the local _____________ in Port-de-Paix.
(b) Store keeper.
(c) School teacher.
(d) Religious leader.
15. When Alourdes is possessed by Ogou, the __________ is always wielded.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does the story take place?
2. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
3. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
4. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
5. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)