|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
(a) Ponji mav.
(b) Monji pav.
(c) A Manje pov.
(d) Panje mov.
2. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He talks to the spirits.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
3. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
4. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Vichy.
(b) Madame Victoria.
(c) Madame Valeria.
(d) Madame Victor.
5. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
(a) Sina does not like Philo.
(b) Sina knows that a single mother raising three children will not be able to provide a very good life for them.
(c) Sina knows that Madame Fouchard has control over her.
(d) Sina needs the money Madame Fouchard gives her for taking in Philo.
6. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
(a) Kicks her out of her new home.
(b) Robs her.
(c) Comes to live with her.
(d) Ignores her.
7. Mama Lola travels to ___________ from Haiti and falls very ill.
8. In ______________, Alourdes' son William, who is mentally retarded, is arrested for a purse snatching.
(a) November of 1981.
(b) April of 1981.
(c) March of 1981.
(d) January of 1981.
9. Who is Leve Jipon Fanm-nan, meaning "Raise that Woman's Petticoat?"
(a) Macena's favorite cock.
(b) Macena's servant.
(c) Macena's dog.
(d) Macena's best friend.
10. Philo is treated very poorly, and at the age of ____________, she runs away.
11. What does Alourdes want to gather?
(a) Essential ingredients needed for ceremonies.
(b) Those who want to become Vodou healers.
(c) Her family and friends.
(d) Her thoughts.
12. When she first meets Alphonse Macena, she is just a girl of __________.
13. Does Joseph Binbin Mauvant like Macena?
(a) Yes, but only at first.
(b) No, not at first.
(c) No, never.
14. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is praising her.
(b) Azaka is punishing her.
(c) Azaka is speaking to her.
(d) Azaka is ignoring her.
15. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
(a) Mama Lola's grandfather.
(b) Mama Lola's father.
(c) Mama Lola's great grandfather.
(d) Mama Lola's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are _______ different subdivisions of Ogou.
2. The day arrives when a ________ (an evil spirit, in this case, a two legged horse which stands straight like a man) visits Madame Fouchard in the middle of the night.
3. Unfortunately, Fouchard's plan all along is to do what?
4. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
5. What does Mauvant vomit up?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)