|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sina is strong and has saved money from what?
(a) Selling her goods at the market.
(c) Saving her inheritance.
(d) Tutoring children.
2. In the end, what happens in William's case?
(a) He is placed in a mental institution.
(b) He is given community service.
(c) All charges are dropped.
(d) He is put in prison.
3. What is a "met tet?"
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A Mets fan.
(c) A beaded rattle.
(d) Master of her head.
4. When do the preparations for the party begin?
(a) Around 10:00 in the morning.
(b) Around 5:00 in the morning.
(c) Around 10:00 at night.
(d) Around 5:00 in then evening.
5. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
(a) Sina knows that a single mother raising three children will not be able to provide a very good life for them.
(b) Sina does not like Philo.
(c) Sina knows that Madame Fouchard has control over her.
(d) Sina needs the money Madame Fouchard gives her for taking in Philo.
6. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
(a) Unexpectedly, Macena's dog dies while out hunting.
(b) Unexpectedly, Macena's servant quits.
(c) Unexpectedly, this prize fighting cock of Macena's dies in the ring.
(d) Unexpectedly, Macena's best friend dies.
7. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
(a) Fascination and expectation.
(b) Fear and excitement.
(c) Anger and fear.
(d) Annoyance and fear.
8. Where is this town located?
(a) In the northwest corner of Haiti.
(b) In the northeast corner of Haiti.
(c) In the southeast corner of Haiti.
(d) In the southwest corner of Haiti.
9. Philo meets a man named Luc Charles with whom she bears a child named ______________.
10. The journey into rural Haiti is ____________ one.
(a) A strange.
(b) An easy.
(c) A grueling.
(d) An exciting.
11. Mama Lola travels to ___________ from Haiti and falls very ill.
12. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
13. Macena is the father of her children so she must do what?
(a) Take him in.
(b) Trust him.
(c) Stay away from him.
(d) Forgive him.
14. What does Alourdes want to gather?
(a) Her thoughts.
(b) Essential ingredients needed for ceremonies.
(c) Those who want to become Vodou healers.
(d) Her family and friends.
15. While power liberates, it also can do what to those who wield it?
(a) Spread their power.
(b) Increase their power.
(c) Encourage them to do good with their power.
(d) Betray and destroy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reasoning for the answer to number 96?
2. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
3. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
4. She is taken back to _______________.
5. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)