|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Victor.
(b) Madame Vichy.
(c) Madame Valeria.
(d) Madame Victoria.
2. In the end, what happens in William's case?
(a) All charges are dropped.
(b) He is placed in a mental institution.
(c) He is put in prison.
(d) He is given community service.
3. Where is this town located?
(a) In the northeast corner of Haiti.
(b) In the southeast corner of Haiti.
(c) In the northwest corner of Haiti.
(d) In the southwest corner of Haiti.
4. According to legend, she is so ______________ that he almost faints the first time he sees her.
5. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
(a) Unexpectedly, Macena's dog dies while out hunting.
(b) Unexpectedly, Macena's best friend dies.
(c) Unexpectedly, this prize fighting cock of Macena's dies in the ring.
(d) Unexpectedly, Macena's servant quits.
6. When do the preparations for the party begin?
(a) Around 10:00 in the morning.
(b) Around 5:00 in then evening.
(c) Around 10:00 at night.
(d) Around 5:00 in the morning.
7. Mama Lola takes the ________ like her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.
8. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
(a) In the center square.
(b) Outside the general store.
(c) On his porch.
(d) Beneath the cottonsilk tree.
9. What warrior lesson does Karen learn?
(a) Know what you want and fight for it.
(b) Strike first and strike hard.
(c) Learn how to wield a sword.
(d) Fight those who fight you.
10. Ogou teaches that in order to live, one must do what?
11. What is a ritual feeding of the poor?
(a) Monji pav.
(b) Ponji mav.
(c) Panje mov.
(d) A Manje pov.
12. By the end of this chapter, Alourdes does what for Karen?
(a) Puts in a good word for her with the spirits.
(b) Buys her supplies for being a manbo.
(c) Reads her cards.
(d) Prays for her.
13. Who should Karen marry?
(a) Mama Lola's son.
(b) Papa Gedes.
(c) Papa Ogou.
(d) Mama Lola's brother.
14. Philo meets a man named Luc Charles with whom she bears a child named ______________.
15. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Build him a hut in the compound.
(b) Force him to marry Sina.
(c) Put him in jail.
(d) Kick him out.
Short Answer Questions
1. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
2. Sina realizes that Macena will not leave the family compound, so she and her eldest daughter, Gloria, decide to do what?
3. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
4. What is a "met tet?"
5. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)