|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When she first meets Alphonse Macena, she is just a girl of __________.
2. Where is this town located?
(a) In the northeast corner of Haiti.
(b) In the southeast corner of Haiti.
(c) In the southwest corner of Haiti.
(d) In the northwest corner of Haiti.
3. While power liberates, it also can do what to those who wield it?
(a) Encourage them to do good with their power.
(b) Increase their power.
(c) Betray and destroy.
(d) Spread their power.
4. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Kick him out.
(b) Force him to marry Sina.
(c) Put him in jail.
(d) Build him a hut in the compound.
5. What is a "met tet?"
(a) A Mets fan.
(b) Master of her head.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A beaded rattle.
6. What is the setting?
(a) The Mauvant family compound.
(b) The town hall.
(c) The town market.
(d) The Mauvant family store.
7. Mama Lola takes the ________ like her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.
8. What does Alourdes want to gather?
(a) Her family and friends.
(b) Her thoughts.
(c) Essential ingredients needed for ceremonies.
(d) Those who want to become Vodou healers.
9. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
10. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
(a) He dies.
(b) She tires of him.
(c) He does not carry his weight in the household.
(d) He is abusive.
11. In ______________, Alourdes' son William, who is mentally retarded, is arrested for a purse snatching.
(a) April of 1981.
(b) November of 1981.
(c) March of 1981.
(d) January of 1981.
12. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
(a) Comes to live with her.
(b) Kicks her out of her new home.
(c) Robs her.
(d) Ignores her.
13. McCarthy Brown recounts in this chapter a trip she and Alourdes make together in ________ to Haiti.
14. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
15. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
(a) In order to determine how involved she should become within the world of Vodou.
(b) She respects Karen.
(c) She loves Karen.
(d) She worries about Karen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
2. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
3. Azaka goes about his business first, settling outstanding loans from what, and then selling the goods from his altar to the guests?
4. Who is Leve Jipon Fanm-nan, meaning "Raise that Woman's Petticoat?"
5. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)