|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he fund this?
(a) So that Philo can have a vacation.
(b) So that Philo can be reunited with Sina.
(c) So that Philo will leave him alone.
(d) So that Philo will be happy.
2. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
(c) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
(d) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
3. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
(a) Close up shop and immediately leave town.
(b) Stay in her home.
(c) Care for Sina.
(d) Continue as if nothing has happened.
4. Unfortunately, Fouchard's plan all along is to do what?
(a) Utilize Philo as a maid whom she will not have to pay.
(b) Have Philo be the daughter she always wanted.
(c) Sell Philo.
(d) Return Philo to her mother as soon as possible.
5. Who should Karen marry?
(a) Mama Lola's brother.
(b) Mama Lola's son.
(c) Papa Ogou.
(d) Papa Gedes.
6. What is a "met tet?"
(a) A Mets fan.
(b) Master of her head.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A beaded rattle.
7. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
8. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her influence among the authorities.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
9. There are _______ different subdivisions of Ogou.
(b) A few.
(d) Very few.
10. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
(b) Mama Lola.
11. What should Karen take?
(a) The initiation rite.
(b) First Communion.
(c) A course in Vodou.
(d) A walk through a cemetery.
12. By the end of this chapter, Alourdes does what for Karen?
(a) Prays for her.
(b) Puts in a good word for her with the spirits.
(c) Buys her supplies for being a manbo.
(d) Reads her cards.
13. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
14. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Put him in jail.
(b) Force him to marry Sina.
(c) Kick him out.
(d) Build him a hut in the compound.
15. In the end, what happens in William's case?
(a) All charges are dropped.
(b) He is given community service.
(c) He is put in prison.
(d) He is placed in a mental institution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
2. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
3. Kouzinn is _____________, a trade that is key to the survival for the poor women of Haiti.
4. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
5. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)