|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he fund this?
(a) So that Philo will leave him alone.
(b) So that Philo will be happy.
(c) So that Philo can have a vacation.
(d) So that Philo can be reunited with Sina.
2. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
(a) A pizza.
(b) An anniversary.
(c) A birthday.
(d) A surprise.
3. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Her influence among the authorities.
4. What is the reasoning for the answer to number 96?
(a) Her children are her life.
(b) She loses all self-esteem.
(c) She gives away part of herself.
(d) Vodou spirits are ideal lovers.
5. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
(a) Gros Cajou.
(b) Gros Mango.
(c) Gros Balance.
(d) Gros Morne.
6. Ogou Badagri, the shy, handsome, brave and loyal, is Alourdes' _____________ from the spirit world.
(a) Chief counselor.
7. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
(c) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(d) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
8. What did Maggie explain to Karen?
(a) Azaka is ignoring her.
(b) Azaka is speaking to her.
(c) Azaka is punishing her.
(d) Azaka is praising her.
9. Unfortunately, Fouchard's plan all along is to do what?
(a) Have Philo be the daughter she always wanted.
(b) Utilize Philo as a maid whom she will not have to pay.
(c) Sell Philo.
(d) Return Philo to her mother as soon as possible.
10. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
(a) The mall.
(b) The school.
(c) The market.
(d) The town hall.
11. This chapter we learn more about Kouzinn, the spirit who is what?
(a) The female counterpart to Azaka.
(b) Azaka's brother.
(c) Mama Lola's spiritual advisor.
(d) The male counterpart to Azaka.
12. Who is Manman Marasa?
(a) Mama Lola's cousin.
(b) The wife of Mauvant.
(c) The daughter of Mauvant.
(d) The sister of Mauvant.
13. Luc is a wealthy man, and he funds a trip for Philo and her son to do what?
(a) Journey back into the mountains
(b) Journey to Port au Prince.
(c) Take a relaxing vacation.
(d) Move to the States.
14. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
(a) Gros Vignon.
(b) Gros Morne.
(c) Gros Balance.
(d) Gros Cajou.
15. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) For the next week.
(b) Until early in the evening.
(c) Until late at night.
(d) Until early in the morning the next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
2. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
3. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
4. What is agreed upon between Mama Lola and Karen?
5. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)