|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "met tet?"
(a) A grocery store.
(b) Master of her head.
(c) A beaded rattle.
(d) A Mets fan.
2. What happens to Sina shortly after this?
(a) She is poisoned and killed.
(b) She returns to the United States.
(c) She becomes a manbo.
(d) She moves back into the country.
3. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
(a) Until early in the evening.
(b) Until early in the morning the next day.
(c) Until late at night.
(d) For the next week.
4. What does Mauvant vomit up?
(a) A small, smooth stone.
(b) A diamond.
(c) A spirit.
(d) His lunch.
5. Ogou teaches that in order to live, one must do what?
6. Philo is taken in by a generous woman named _______________.
(a) Madame Vichy.
(b) Madame Valeria.
(c) Madame Victor.
(d) Madame Victoria.
7. What is agreed upon between Mama Lola and Karen?
(a) Karen should move to Haiti.
(b) Karen should call Papa Ogou.
(c) Karen should marry Mama Lola's brother.
(d) Karen should stay away from Vodou.
8. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
(a) Gros Morne.
(b) Gros Balance.
(c) Gros Cajou.
(d) Gros Mango.
9. While power liberates, it also can do what to those who wield it?
(a) Betray and destroy.
(b) Encourage them to do good with their power.
(c) Increase their power.
(d) Spread their power.
10. Philo meets a man named Luc Charles with whom she bears a child named ______________.
11. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
(a) Unexpectedly, this prize fighting cock of Macena's dies in the ring.
(b) Unexpectedly, Macena's dog dies while out hunting.
(c) Unexpectedly, Macena's best friend dies.
(d) Unexpectedly, Macena's servant quits.
12. Kouzinn is _____________, a trade that is key to the survival for the poor women of Haiti.
(a) A market woman.
(b) A healer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A teacher.
13. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
(a) Fear and excitement.
(b) Anger and fear.
(c) Annoyance and fear.
(d) Fascination and expectation.
14. She is taken back to _______________.
(a) Gros Cabrit.
(b) Gros Cheval.
(c) Gros Bassin.
(d) Gros Morne.
15. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
(a) Making friends.
(b) Spending time with family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
2. Who should Karen marry?
3. The emphasis in this chapter is on what?
4. When do the preparations for the party begin?
5. The spirits will do what if should she neglect them?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)