|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is this ritual feeding held?
(a) In church in Port-au-Prince.
(b) In the cemetery of Port-au-Prince.
(c) In the town hall in Port-au-Prince.
(d) In someone's home in Port-au-Prince.
2. Before long, Macena discovers her whereabouts and does what?
(a) Comes to live with her.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Kicks her out of her new home.
(d) Robs her.
3. Philo and a group of friends travel to ______________.
(a) New York City.
(b) Port au Prince.
(c) Santo Domingo.
4. For Karen, the trip is largely in the name of ____________.
(b) Spending time with family.
(d) Making friends.
5. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
(a) A surprise.
(b) A pizza.
(c) An anniversary.
(d) A birthday.
6. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
(c) Femme de marche.
(d) Marche femme.
7. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
8. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
(a) The market.
(b) The mall.
(c) The school.
(d) The town hall.
9. Sina is strong and has saved money from what?
(a) Tutoring children.
(c) Selling her goods at the market.
(d) Saving her inheritance.
10. This is done around ____________.
(a) 8:00 p.m.
(b) 4:00 p.m.
(c) 8:00 a.m.
(d) 4:00 a.m.
11. Macena is the father of her children so she must do what?
(a) Stay away from him.
(b) Take him in.
(c) Trust him.
(d) Forgive him.
12. What should Karen take?
(a) First Communion.
(b) A course in Vodou.
(c) A walk through a cemetery.
(d) The initiation rite.
13. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
(a) An ason.
14. This chapter we learn more about Kouzinn, the spirit who is what?
(a) The male counterpart to Azaka.
(b) Azaka's brother.
(c) Mama Lola's spiritual advisor.
(d) The female counterpart to Azaka.
15. The first chapter of the book begins where?
(a) In the city of Port au Prince.
(b) In the rural mountains of Haiti.
(c) In TriBeCa.
(d) In Brooklyn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kouzinn is _____________, a trade that is key to the survival for the poor women of Haiti.
2. What warrior lesson does Karen learn?
3. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
4. The relationship between Sina and Alphonse Macena does not last long. Why?
5. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)