|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Macena believes that the spirits, like his wife, are there to do what?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Serve him.
(c) Hurt him.
(d) Scare him.
2. What is the beaded rattle used to leverage the spirit world?
(a) An axon.
(b) An acon.
(c) An afon.
(d) An ason.
3. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
4. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her influence among the authorities.
5. Philo is treated very poorly, and at the age of ____________, she runs away.
6. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
(a) She loves Karen.
(b) She worries about Karen.
(c) She respects Karen.
(d) In order to determine how involved she should become within the world of Vodou.
7. They are received with a mixture of ____________________ by the rural townsfolk.
(a) Fear and excitement.
(b) Annoyance and fear.
(c) Anger and fear.
(d) Fascination and expectation.
8. Who is Manman Marasa?
(a) The wife of Mauvant.
(b) The sister of Mauvant.
(c) The daughter of Mauvant.
(d) Mama Lola's cousin.
9. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
(a) A letter.
(b) Her dream.
(c) An e-mail.
(d) A phone call.
10. Sina is strong and has saved money from what?
(a) Selling her goods at the market.
(b) Tutoring children.
(d) Saving her inheritance.
11. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
12. Mama Lola is throwing Azaka _______________ party, as she must every year.
(a) A birthday.
(b) An anniversary.
(c) A surprise.
(d) A pizza.
13. Ogou teaches that in order to live, one must do what?
14. Philo meets a man named Luc Charles with whom she bears a child named ______________.
15. According to legend, she is so ______________ that he almost faints the first time he sees her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
2. Azaka offers the rest of his altar food to his guests, doles out messages to the individual guests and instructs them how to do what?
3. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
4. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
5. What does McCarthy Brown do for Alourdes and Maggie?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)