|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this chapter we learn about Alourdes' Grandmother, ______________.
(a) Marie Noelsine.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) Marie Noelle.
(d) Marie Louise.
2. Mauvant is what they call a _____________________ or a true African who has the spirits "on him" always.
3. Macena is the father of her children so she must do what?
(a) Forgive him.
(b) Stay away from him.
(c) Take him in.
(d) Trust him.
4. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
(a) Sina knows that Madame Fouchard has control over her.
(b) Sina does not like Philo.
(c) Sina knows that a single mother raising three children will not be able to provide a very good life for them.
(d) Sina needs the money Madame Fouchard gives her for taking in Philo.
5. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
6. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
(a) She is to become a spirit.
(b) She is to return to Haiti to train as a manbo.
(c) She is to move back to Haiti.
(d) She is to train as a manbo in Brooklyn.
7. Why does Alourdes do this for Karen?
(a) She respects Karen.
(b) In order to determine how involved she should become within the world of Vodou.
(c) She worries about Karen.
(d) She loves Karen.
8. In the end, what happens in William's case?
(a) All charges are dropped.
(b) He is placed in a mental institution.
(c) He is put in prison.
(d) He is given community service.
9. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
10. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
(a) Her dream.
(b) An e-mail.
(c) A letter.
(d) A phone call.
11. In the market of _____________, Philo finds her sister, Gloria.
12. Sina realizes that Macena will not leave the family compound, so she and her eldest daughter, Gloria, decide to do what?
(a) Move to a neighboring town.
(b) Convince him to leave.
(c) Remove him from the compound.
(d) Kill him.
13. Why is Azaka mad?
(a) Azaka is in a bad mood.
(b) Azaka does not want Alourdes to throw him a party.
(c) Azaka thinks Alourdes is not going to throw him a party.
(d) Azaka thinks Alourdes does not love him.
14. She buys land in _____________, building her house with her own hands.
(a) Gros Balance.
(b) Gros Morne.
(c) Gros Cajou.
(d) Gros Mango.
15. Who is Manman Marasa?
(a) The daughter of Mauvant.
(b) Mama Lola's cousin.
(c) The wife of Mauvant.
(d) The sister of Mauvant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warrior lesson does Karen learn?
2. McCarthy Brown recounts in this chapter a trip she and Alourdes make together in ________ to Haiti.
3. The chapter ends with a quick anecdote about whom?
4. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
5. Despite her power as a Vodou priestess and the protection that she enjoys at the hands of the spirits, ________________ is enough to upturn Alourdes' life.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)