|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All morning Mauvant is muttering that he is ________________ but no one pays him much attention.
2. When Alourdes is possessed by Ogou, the __________ is always wielded.
3. Philo and a group of friends travel to ______________.
(a) New York City.
(b) Santo Domingo.
(c) Port au Prince.
4. ____________ is finally reacted by Karen, Alourdes and their traveling companions.
(a) Gros Morne.
(b) Gros Cajou.
(c) Gros Vignon.
(d) Gros Balance.
5. This woman is a successful ____________ (market woman).
(a) Femme de marche.
(d) Marche femme.
6. This is done around ____________.
(a) 4:00 p.m.
(b) 8:00 a.m.
(c) 4:00 a.m.
(d) 8:00 p.m.
7. Fouchard feeds Sina and gives her a place to rest whenever she comes to town to sell her goods at the market. Why does Fouchard do this?
(a) She knows that these favors will oblige Sina to her.
(b) She is Sina's aunt.
(c) She is a kind woman.
(d) She cares for Sina.
8. Who is Joseph Binbin Mauvant?
(a) Mama Lola's father.
(b) Mama Lola's brother.
(c) Mama Lola's great grandfather.
(d) Mama Lola's grandfather.
9. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
(a) She is to become a spirit.
(b) She is to move back to Haiti.
(c) She is to return to Haiti to train as a manbo.
(d) She is to train as a manbo in Brooklyn.
10. What is the setting?
(a) The town hall.
(b) The Mauvant family store.
(c) The town market.
(d) The Mauvant family compound.
11. Philo meets a man named Luc Charles with whom she bears a child named ______________.
12. What does Philo realize?
(a) She must serve the spirits and take up her mother's legacy.
(b) She must return to New York.
(c) She must ignore the spirits.
(d) She misses Luc.
13. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Build him a hut in the compound.
(b) Force him to marry Sina.
(c) Put him in jail.
(d) Kick him out.
14. The compound is a grouping of huts for whom?
(a) All the families in town.
(b) The leaders of the community.
(c) The Mauvant family's grown children and their children as well.
(d) The children of the community.
15. When do the preparations for the party begin?
(a) Around 10:00 in the morning.
(b) Around 5:00 in the morning.
(c) Around 10:00 at night.
(d) Around 5:00 in then evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fouchard understands that she must do what?
2. Philomise is the ________________ daughter of Marie Noelsine, the family beauty.
3. Ogou teaches that in order to live, one must do what?
4. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
5. Alourdes ____________ the family spirits that inhabit the land.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)