|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Gede.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. His medicine, his power, is with him naturally, and he has no need even for what?
(b) An ason.
2. When "Sina," as Macena calls her, becomes pregnant, Mauvant and the men from the community do what?
(a) Build him a hut in the compound.
(b) Kick him out.
(c) Force him to marry Sina.
(d) Put him in jail.
3. Sina is strong and has saved money from what?
(b) Saving her inheritance.
(c) Selling her goods at the market.
(d) Tutoring children.
4. Why does Macena mourn bitterly?
(a) Unexpectedly, Macena's best friend dies.
(b) Unexpectedly, this prize fighting cock of Macena's dies in the ring.
(c) Unexpectedly, Macena's servant quits.
(d) Unexpectedly, Macena's dog dies while out hunting.
5. Why is this Karen's decision?
(a) She wants to believe in something.
(b) She wants to have confidence in herself the way Alourdes does.
(c) She wants to be a part of Alourdes' family.
(d) She wants to be a Vodou priestess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
2. Why does Sina decide to "give" Philo, her baby, to Madame Fouchard?
3. Gede's domination of the realm of death is reflective of a time when males held the power in Haitian families, and this is not the case any longer. In consequence, and in showing how flexible and ever-evolving the culture of Vodou is, a strong female version of Gede is slowly emerging, whose name is _____________.
4. Rapelle is told in the dream that she will be able to do what?
5. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)