|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Azaka.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first chapter of the book begins where?
(a) In the city of Port au Prince.
(b) In TriBeCa.
(c) In Brooklyn.
(d) In the rural mountains of Haiti.
2. Most of the compound's women have made the long journey down the mountain to what?
(a) The mall.
(b) The town hall.
(c) The market.
(d) The school.
3. What does Mauvant regularly do?
(a) He sleeps.
(b) He sits sipping his special rum mixture and doling out medicine and advice.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He talks to the spirits.
4. The chapter about the spirit Azaka, or "Kouzen Zaka" begins with Karen telling the story of her journey to Mama Lola's home in ______________.
(a) May of 1981.
(b) May of 1982.
(c) May of 1983.
(d) May of 1984.
5. Mauvant dresses and assumes his usual post where?
(a) In the center square.
(b) On his porch.
(c) Beneath the cottonsilk tree.
(d) Outside the general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Manman Marasa?
2. Many guests arrive for the ritual, and after ______________ to persuade the spirits to attend, Mama Lola becomes possessed by the spirit of Azaka.
3. How does Mama Lola discover information through her sister-in-law?
4. In what town does the story take place?
5. What does she learn from her sister-in-law?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)