|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10 - Danbala.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. She develops a good reputation within the Haitian community because of what?
(a) Her influence among the authorities.
(b) Her effective treatments and her fairness with her clients.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her wealth.
2. The story begins on __________ early morning.
(a) A typical.
(b) A cold.
(c) A strange.
(d) A stormy.
3. The chapter about the spirit Azaka, or "Kouzen Zaka" begins with Karen telling the story of her journey to Mama Lola's home in ______________.
(a) May of 1983.
(b) May of 1981.
(c) May of 1982.
(d) May of 1984.
4. Fouchard feeds Sina and gives her a place to rest whenever she comes to town to sell her goods at the market. Why does Fouchard do this?
(a) She cares for Sina.
(b) She knows that these favors will oblige Sina to her.
(c) She is Sina's aunt.
(d) She is a kind woman.
5. We learn in this chapter that Maggie is almost more like a ______________ to Alourdes, someone upon who she relies heavily in her work as a manbo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Karen decides to marry Papa Ogou, Alourdes tells her that she must also marry Papa Danbala. Why?
2. Alourdes calls who to help her daughter?
3. Often this way of thinking can lead a Haitian woman into what?
4. For how long do the ceremonies go on?
5. Philo discovers she is pregnant and does everything she can think of to miscarry, as another mouth to feed is the last thing she needs. The spirit __________________ comes to her in a dream and tells her to stop trying to kill her baby.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)