|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Edith's scam meant to achieve for her?
2. Who possesses some supernatural gift that cannot be fought with ordinary methods?
3. Whose obituary is in the newspaper?
4. Who will surely go to jail for a long time?
5. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that is a medium?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mallory get Redwing's contact information from Edith?
2. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
3. How does Mallory act in the investigation that raises alarms for her tendency of being a sociopath?
4. What did the director do with the information Redwing gave him?
5. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
6. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
7. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
8. How is Mallory cold when dealing with Edith before her trip?
9. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
10. After Gaynor's death, where is the blame for the murders going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
Essay Topic 2
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)