|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reveals a strong attraction and competition with Mallory throughout the novel?
2. Who does Mallory go in search of after Gaynor is shot?
3. Who does the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe have a cryptic conversation with?
4. What kind of dog suddenly turns on its owner and attacks the owner's child, showing the first sign of violence ever in its life?
5. Why does Mallory not want to help the medium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
2. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
3. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
4. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
5. How does Butler meet Fanny Evenroe and what do they discuss?
6. When Butler visits Edith, what does he discover about Mallory?
7. When Butler wakes up in the hospital, why is he confused?
8. What did the director do with the information Redwing gave him?
9. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
10. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Mallory's motivation and reasons for paying close attention to the seances. What do they reveal about the murderer?
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 3
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)