|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of illegal activity does Redwing do?
2. Who will be going on a long cruise according to Mallory?
3. Who saw the second message from the automatic writing that is considered a little crazy by the medium?
4. Who/what does Evenroe have ties to?
5. Whose obituary is in the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
2. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
3. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
4. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
5. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
6. What does Redwing insist that Mallory drink and why?
7. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
8. How does Butler meet Fanny Evenroe and what do they discuss?
9. When Butler wakes up in the hospital, why is he confused?
10. Why is there a cop outside Margot's window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mallory and Butler are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Mallory to Butler. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Mallory offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Mallory offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)