|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sheds fake tears for Coffey and the District Attorney?
2. Who has amnesia and is in the hospital recovering from a near-death experience?
3. Who acted illegally in order to gain evidence and access to the crime scene throughout the novel?
4. Whose photos does Butler notice are missing in the house in Gramercy Park?
5. Who stabs a rapist in the subway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
2. In the end, how does Mallory act by Markowitz?
3. What does Mallory believe will be over when she returns from her trip?
4. When Butler visits Edith, what does he discover about Mallory?
5. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
6. Why is there a cop outside Margot's window?
7. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
8. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
9. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
10. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)