|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edith have to watch over Gaynor?
2. Who had not been called to testify by design in court?
3. As the investigation continues, who becomes messy and less like a perfectionist surprising Riker?
4. Who/what does Evenroe have ties to?
5. To whom does Mallory finally say goodbye on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
2. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
3. Why is there a cop outside Margot's window?
4. What does Redwing insist that Mallory drink and why?
5. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
6. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
7. When Mallory goes to visit Redwing, what does she notice about Redwing's apartment?
8. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
9. When Mallory realizes she has been drugged, how does she get help?
10. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)