|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of puppy sits at Redwing's feet?
2. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that is a rapist?
3. What skill does Butler have that enables him to quickly notice any changes in the house in Gramercy Park?
4. As the investigation continues, who becomes messy and less like a perfectionist surprising Riker?
5. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that Mallory inadvertently trusted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Redwing insist that Mallory drink and why?
2. When Mallory realizes she has been drugged, how does she get help?
3. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
4. When Butler visits Edith, what does he discover about Mallory?
5. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
6. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
7. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
8. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
9. What is the epiphany that Butler has in Mallory's apartment?
10. When Mallory goes to visit Redwing, what does she notice about Redwing's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the novel. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does O'Connell insert foreshadowing into the novel? is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Both Mallory and Butler are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Mallory to Butler. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Mallory offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Mallory offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 3
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)