|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mallory trust the most by the end of the novel?
2. What will be mostly done by the time Mallory returns from her trip?
3. Who does Mallory go in search of after Gaynor is shot?
4. Who does Mallory visit against everyone's warnings that has a puppy sitting next to him/her?
5. Who does the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe have a cryptic conversation with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
2. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
3. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
4. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
5. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
6. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
7. What does Mallory regret about Markowitz at the end of the novel?
8. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
9. What is the epiphany that Butler has in Mallory's apartment?
10. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)