|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately kills Gaynor?
2. In the cryptic conversation with the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe, who died in childbirth?
3. Whose house does Butler visit for lunch and reminisce about Gramercy Park?
4. Since Gaynor is dead, who will be most likely convicted of the murder and theft crimes?
5. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the director do with the information Redwing gave him?
2. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
3. When Butler wakes up in the hospital, why is he confused?
4. What is the epiphany that Butler has in Mallory's apartment?
5. When Mallory realizes she has been drugged, how does she get help?
6. How does Mallory act in the investigation that raises alarms for her tendency of being a sociopath?
7. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
8. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
9. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
10. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Edith and Gaylor are two intriguing characters involved with seances.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Edith had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Gaylor had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the seance group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)