|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately kills Gaynor?
2. Who has figured out that Mallory is the Paladin?
3. Who is Mallory doing surveillance on even though she is a rookie?
4. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that Mallory inadvertently trusted?
5. Who is told that a piece of metal is lodged in his/her chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
2. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
3. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
4. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
5. In the end, how does Mallory act by Markowitz?
6. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
7. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
8. When Butler wakes up in the hospital, why is he confused?
9. How does Butler meet Fanny Evenroe and what do they discuss?
10. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)