|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Redwing supply information to?
2. Who does Mallory trust the most by the end of the novel?
3. In the cryptic conversation with the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe, who was cast out of town?
4. Who sheds fake tears for Coffey and the District Attorney?
5. Who keeps Mallory company in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
2. How is Mallory cold when dealing with Edith before her trip?
3. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
4. What is the epiphany that Butler has in Mallory's apartment?
5. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
6. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
7. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
8. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
9. When Mallory goes to visit Redwing, what does she notice about Redwing's apartment?
10. In the end, how does Mallory act by Markowitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
Essay Topic 3
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)