|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sheds fake tears for Coffey and the District Attorney?
2. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that is a rapist?
3. Who is Mallory doing surveillance on even though she is a rookie?
4. What had the puppy that sat at Redwing's feet been subjected to?
5. In what park are groups of dogs playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
2. How is Mallory cold when dealing with Edith before her trip?
3. How does Mallory get Redwing's contact information from Edith?
4. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
5. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
6. After Gaynor's death, where is the blame for the murders going?
7. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
8. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
9. When Butler visits Edith, what does he discover about Mallory?
10. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Both Mallory and Butler are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Mallory to Butler. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Mallory offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Mallory offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Mallory, Coffey, Riker, and Butler; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)