|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the investigation continues, who becomes messy and less like a perfectionist surprising Riker?
2. Who does not want Mallory to attend Edith's seance?
3. What does Mallory consider is good enough to do by the end of the novel?
4. Who stabs a rapist in the subway?
5. Who will be going on a long cruise according to Mallory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Redwing such a serious threat according to Edith and others?
2. How does Butler meet Fanny Evenroe and what do they discuss?
3. After Gaynor's death, where is the blame for the murders going?
4. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
5. What does Redwing insist that Mallory drink and why?
6. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
7. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
8. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
9. When Butler visits Edith, what does he discover about Mallory?
10. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Mallory's motivation and reasons for paying close attention to the seances. What do they reveal about the murderer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)