|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edith have to watch over Gaynor?
2. Who visits Mallory in the hospital after she recovers from the tea?
3. What skill does Butler have that enables him to quickly notice any changes in the house in Gramercy Park?
4. Who gets off the hook from going to court?
5. Who goes to the New York Public Library to meet with Fanny Evenroe?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Butler wakes up in the hospital, why is he confused?
2. After Gaynor's death, where is the blame for the murders going?
3. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
4. What does Mallory believe will be over when she returns from her trip?
5. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
6. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
7. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
8. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
9. How does Butler meet Fanny Evenroe and what do they discuss?
10. What did the director do with the information Redwing gave him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 2
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)