|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who emerges as a reluctant hero/ine by the end of the novel?
2. In the cryptic conversation with the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe, who was cast out of town?
3. Who panhandles and calls Henry for money?
4. Who does Mallory go in search of after Gaynor is shot?
5. Who feels guilty about having foresight and asks Butler if destiny is writ?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 3
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the murder suspects. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)