|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots Gaynor while being protected by a vest?
2. How old is Mallory?
3. Who did Redwing supply information to?
4. Who does not have a spectacular send off after death?
5. How old is Butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mallory realizes she has been drugged, how does she get help?
2. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
3. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
4. What does Mallory believe will be over when she returns from her trip?
5. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
6. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
7. Why is there a cop outside Margot's window?
8. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
9. Why does Riker say that he and Mallory cannot use any information they get illegally from Redwing's apartment?
10. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)