|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who feels guilty about having foresight and asks Butler if destiny is writ?
2. Who had not been called to testify by design in court?
3. Who does Butler want to find in the photograph on Edith's mantel?
4. Who sees a cop outside her window and realizes that the bank incident is responsible for the cop's presence?
5. Who is told that a piece of metal is lodged in his/her chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Butler realizes how powerful Edith is, what does he blame her for?
2. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
3. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
4. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
5. What does Mallory believe will be over when she returns from her trip?
6. How is Mallory cold when dealing with Edith before her trip?
7. When Mallory goes to visit Redwing, what does she notice about Redwing's apartment?
8. How does Butler meet Fanny Evenroe and what do they discuss?
9. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
10. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
Essay Topic 2
Edith and Gaylor are two intriguing characters involved with seances.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Edith had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Gaylor had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the seance group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Mallory's personality invokes strong attraction for multiple characters ranging from Butler to Coffey. Why is this so? Whom is she attracted to if anyone? What is it about Mallory's personality that evokes protective instincts in men? What are some of her negative characteristics?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)