|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Edith's apartment and asks if Edith has Redwing's new address and phone number?
2. Who arrives at Edith's apartment and confronts her with the information he had pieced together at Mallory's apartment?
3. How old is Mallory?
4. Who tries to chase the suspect at the park after the dog violence, leaving Riker behind?
5. Who goes to the New York Public Library to meet with Fanny Evenroe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
2. Why is Riker alarmed by the change in Mallory as she pursues the investigation?
3. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
4. When Mallory realizes she has been drugged, how does she get help?
5. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
6. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
7. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
8. In the end, how does Mallory act by Markowitz?
9. How does Mallory get Redwing's contact information from Edith?
10. Why is there a cop outside Margot's window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Mallory's motivation and reasons for paying close attention to the seances. What do they reveal about the murderer?
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)