|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is still tortured by the video of Max dancing and dreams about it?
2. What kind of dog suddenly turns on its owner and attacks the owner's child, showing the first sign of violence ever in its life?
3. Since Gaynor is dead, who will be most likely convicted of the murder and theft crimes?
4. Who goes to the New York Public Library to meet with Fanny Evenroe?
5. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that receives punishment legally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mallory regret about Markowitz at the end of the novel?
2. After Gaynor's death, where is the blame for the murders going?
3. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
4. Why does Mallory shed fake tears for Coffey and the DA?
5. How is Mallory's relationship with Butler different from that of other men?
6. Why does Margot alarm a customer at a thrift store?
7. Why is Mallory warned to stay away from Redwing?
8. How is Mallory cold when dealing with Edith before her trip?
9. What does Edith want from Mallory as she packs for her trip?
10. What is Butler told is the reason for his presence in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Mallory, Coffey, Riker, and Butler; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the murder suspects. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)