|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had Markowitz on videotape, saying that he was a natural and a wonderful dancer?
2. Who has decided to raise Markowitz during the séance?
3. Who discuss computer scans and Edith Candle's fortune?
4. What area of New York City does O'Connell describe along with victims in the first two chapters?
5. Whose house does Mallory visit to play poker at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mallory run out screaming from the seance?
2. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
3. How is Mallory described in the book?
4. How do Kaplan and Mallory interact at the crime scene?
5. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
6. Why is Butler's presence at poker important?
7. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
8. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
9. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
10. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)