|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Edith to go to a seance?
2. Who gives Butler background on Margot's juvenile delinquency?
3. Who discuss computer scans and Edith Candle's fortune?
4. Who decides to put Coffey on the investigation by starting an office pool?
5. What profile is most likely inaccurate because every case in New York is different?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
2. What is of significance to the pawnbroker about the jewelry brought in by the junkie?
3. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
4. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
5. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
6. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
7. How does Mallory act at the crime scene of her father?
8. How is Mallory described in the book?
9. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
10. How do Kaplan and Mallory interact at the crime scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 3
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)