|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Butler a birthday present?
2. Who is Samantha's heir?
3. Who knows Mallory has taken the murder board?
4. Who has a famous reputation that allows her/him entry into the seance?
5. Who decides to put Coffey on the investigation by starting an office pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
2. Why is there a cop outside Margot's window?
3. What is of significance to the pawnbroker about the jewelry brought in by the junkie?
4. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
5. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
6. What is the epiphany that Butler has in Mallory's apartment?
7. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
8. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
9. Why does Margot go to the bank?
10. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
Essay Topic 1
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's personality invokes strong attraction for multiple characters ranging from Butler to Coffey. Why is this so? Whom is she attracted to if anyone? What is it about Mallory's personality that evokes protective instincts in men? What are some of her negative characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)