|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose wall are there mysterious messages and automatic writing in lipstick?
2. What does Markowitz ultimately die of?
3. Who is Samantha's heir?
4. If Markowitz's possessions are being pawned off, what does it reveal about him?
5. Who decides to put Coffey on the investigation by starting an office pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
2. What is of significance to the pawnbroker about the jewelry brought in by the junkie?
3. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
4. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
5. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
6. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
7. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
8. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
9. When Margot cannot get into her apartment, how does she reveal her desperation in her subsequent acts?
10. How is Siddon described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)