|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Samantha's heir meet Coffey and Riker?
2. What profile is most likely inaccurate because every case in New York is different?
3. Who is Siddon terrified of in New York?
4. On whose wall are there mysterious messages and automatic writing in lipstick?
5. Who is attracted to Mallory but finds it hard to say so?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
2. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
3. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
4. Why is Butler's presence at poker important?
5. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
6. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
7. How is Margot described in Chapter 5?
8. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
9. Why is Mallory disconcerted when she meets Edith?
10. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the murder suspects. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)