|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second victim of the Gray Lady Killer?
2. Who is walking through the East Village and just happens to look up when a concrete clock falls right beside her?
3. Who does Mallory examine that is mutilated?
4. Who is averse to using computers?
5. Who exerted a strong influence over Mallory before her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is shocking about Mallory's discovery about her father dancing?
2. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
3. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
4. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
5. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
6. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
7. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
8. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
9. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
10. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did O'Connell choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Edith and Gaylor are two intriguing characters involved with seances.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Edith had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Gaylor had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the seance group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)