|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes into a pawnshop with the intent of pawning off a watch and a wedding ring?
2. Who insists on seeing Samantha's wounds in a strange way and has a knife obsession?
3. What does Kaplan do for a living?
4. Who accepts Markowitz's inheritance?
5. Who is attracted to Mallory but finds it hard to say so?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
2. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
3. How is Margot described in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
5. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
6. Why is Mallory disconcerted when she meets Edith?
7. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
8. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
9. When Mallory tells Butler about the seance, what conclusions does he draw about people and information?
10. Why does Margot go to the bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)