|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to put Coffey on the investigation by starting an office pool?
2. What is the name of the play at the theater?
3. What movie does O'Connell make references to by Alfred Hitchcock in Chapter 4?
4. Who is the police chief that arrives to talk to Coffey about Louis Markowitz?
5. What detail about Samantha does Margot fail to know the answer to when questioned by attorneys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
2. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
3. How is Margot described in Chapter 5?
4. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
5. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
6. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
7. When Margot cannot get into her apartment, how does she reveal her desperation in her subsequent acts?
8. How does Mallory act at the crime scene of her father?
9. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
10. How does Mallory gain access into the theater where Gaynor is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Mallory, Coffey, Riker, and Butler; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Mallory's motivation and reasons for paying close attention to the seances. What do they reveal about the murderer?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)