|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Cathery when he turned 21 and received his trust fund?
2. Who passes out in the theater drunk?
3. Who is at a family barbecue when he is called to the scene when Mallory is putting Markowitz's wedding ring back on his finger?
4. On whose wall are there mysterious messages and automatic writing in lipstick?
5. At Siddon's crime scene, what part of her body is mutilated apart from her throat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
2. How does Mallory act in the investigation that raises alarms for her tendency of being a sociopath?
3. What does Mallory believe will be over when she returns from her trip?
4. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
5. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
6. Why is Mallory disconcerted when she meets Edith?
7. Why does Mallory run out screaming from the seance?
8. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
9. What is unusual about the puppy at Redwing's feet in the park?
10. How does Mallory gain access into the theater where Gaynor is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 3
Edith and Gaylor are two intriguing characters involved with seances.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Edith had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Gaylor had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the seance group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)