|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is walking through the East Village and just happens to look up when a concrete clock falls right beside her?
2. At Siddon's crime scene, what part of her body is mutilated apart from her throat?
3. Who is at a family barbecue when he is called to the scene when Mallory is putting Markowitz's wedding ring back on his finger?
4. Who has a rap sheet with the SEC?
5. Who puts his arm around Mallory at the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
2. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
3. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
4. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
5. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
6. What is shocking about Mallory's discovery about her father dancing?
7. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
8. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
9. Why is Mallory disconcerted when she meets Edith?
10. How does Mallory gain access into the theater where Gaynor is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the novel. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does O'Connell insert foreshadowing into the novel? is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)