|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can Mallory beat to the campus if she takes the subway?
2. Who confronts Herbert in the elevator about owning a gun?
3. Who carried the board for Mallory to her car?
4. Who accepts Markowitz's inheritance?
5. Who has decided to raise Markowitz during the séance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kaplan and Mallory interact at the crime scene?
2. What is of significance to the pawnbroker about the jewelry brought in by the junkie?
3. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
4. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
5. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
6. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
7. Why does Margot go to the bank?
8. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
9. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
10. How is Mallory described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)