Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does O'Connell make references to by Alfred Hitchcock in Chapter 4?
2. Who is becoming delirious from a lack of food and sleep and sees her/his rapist on the subway?
3. Who discuss computer scans and Edith Candle's fortune?
4. Who comes to the gate of the Gramercy Park entrance and is ignored by Cathery?
5. Who turns out to be very willing to discuss the murder cases with the cops surprisingly even though one of them will be the next target?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the end, how does Mallory act by Markowitz?
2. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
3. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
4. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
5. How is Mallory described in the book?
6. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
7. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
8. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
9. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
10. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
Describe Edith. What is her role in the book? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Edith's character in the novel?
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Mallory, Coffey, Riker, and Butler; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
Describe some of the settings for the book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did O'Connell choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)