Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does O'Connell make references to by Alfred Hitchcock in Chapter 4?
2. Who is becoming delirious from a lack of food and sleep and sees her/his rapist on the subway?
3. Who discuss computer scans and Edith Candle's fortune?
4. Who comes to the gate of the Gramercy Park entrance and is ignored by Cathery?
5. Who turns out to be very willing to discuss the murder cases with the cops surprisingly even though one of them will be the next target?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the end, how does Mallory act by Markowitz?
2. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
3. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
4. When Butler goes to Edith's house, how does he determine changes that help him as clues to the investigation?
5. How is Mallory described in the book?
6. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
7. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
8. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
9. Why was Redwing never prosecuted prior to the Markowitz case?
10. What is Redwing charged with when Mallory's associates round her up from her apartment?
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Mallory's personality invokes strong attraction for multiple characters ranging from Butler to Coffey. Why is this so? Whom is she attracted to if anyone? What is it about Mallory's personality that evokes protective instincts in men? What are some of her negative characteristics?
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)