|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes into a pawnshop with the intent of pawning off a watch and a wedding ring?
2. What is the name of the play at the theater?
3. On whose wall are there mysterious messages and automatic writing in lipstick?
4. Who pushes Butler into becoming a partner in a new business?
5. How is Kathleen Mallory related to Louis Markowitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
2. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
3. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
4. When Margot cannot get into her apartment, how does she reveal her desperation in her subsequent acts?
5. How is Mallory described in the book?
6. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
7. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
8. How do Kaplan and Mallory interact at the crime scene?
9. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
10. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the murder suspects. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 2
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Mallory, Coffey, Riker, and Butler; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)