|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Siddon terrified of in New York?
2. Who is able to read Mallory and tell her personal history like a medium?
3. Who is at a family barbecue when he is called to the scene when Mallory is putting Markowitz's wedding ring back on his finger?
4. Who passes out in the theater drunk?
5. Where does Mallory go to the séance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Margot described in Chapter 5?
2. What is shocking about Mallory's discovery about her father dancing?
3. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
4. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
5. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
6. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
7. How is Siddon described in Chapter 4?
8. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
9. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
10. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's personality invokes strong attraction for multiple characters ranging from Butler to Coffey. Why is this so? Whom is she attracted to if anyone? What is it about Mallory's personality that evokes protective instincts in men? What are some of her negative characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think the author named the book Mallory's Oracle? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Mallory? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)