|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who often work from predictions and observation?
2. Who is at a family barbecue when he is called to the scene when Mallory is putting Markowitz's wedding ring back on his finger?
3. Where does Mallory have a house in New York after Markowitz dies?
4. Who is able to read Mallory and tell her personal history like a medium?
5. Who decides to put Coffey on the investigation by starting an office pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margot go to the bank?
2. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
3. What is shocking about Mallory's discovery about her father dancing?
4. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
5. Why is Mallory disconcerted when she meets Edith?
6. Why does Mallory run out screaming from the seance?
7. How is Siddon described in Chapter 4?
8. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
9. How does Mallory gain access into the theater where Gaynor is?
10. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did O'Connell choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Mallory's personality invokes strong attraction for multiple characters ranging from Butler to Coffey. Why is this so? Whom is she attracted to if anyone? What is it about Mallory's personality that evokes protective instincts in men? What are some of her negative characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Edith and Gaylor are two intriguing characters involved with seances.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Edith had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Gaylor had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the seance group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)