|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is able to read Mallory and tell her personal history like a medium?
2. Whose house does Mallory visit to play poker at night?
3. Who recounts Max's death to Mallory?
4. Who makes a trip to the Brooklyn Dance Academy to ask about Markowitz?
5. Where does Margot go with the hope of getting an advance on her inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
2. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
3. What is shocking about Mallory's discovery about her father dancing?
4. How does Mallory gain access into the theater where Gaynor is?
5. How does Mallory act at the crime scene of her father?
6. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
7. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
8. How is Mallory described in the book?
9. How do Kaplan and Mallory interact at the crime scene?
10. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)