|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is walking through the East Village and just happens to look up when a concrete clock falls right beside her?
2. Who gives Butler background on Margot's juvenile delinquency?
3. What profile is most likely inaccurate because every case in New York is different?
4. Who discuss computer scans and Edith Candle's fortune?
5. Who makes a trip to the Brooklyn Dance Academy to ask about Markowitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
2. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
3. How is Margot described in Chapter 5?
4. What is shocking about Mallory's discovery about her father dancing?
5. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
6. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
7. What is of significance to the pawnbroker about the jewelry brought in by the junkie?
8. How is Siddon described in Chapter 4?
9. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
10. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)