|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recognizes that the watch and a wedding ring belong to Louis Markowitz?
2. Who pushes Butler into becoming a partner in a new business?
3. What in the building make it difficult to determine the exact time of death?
4. At Siddon's crime scene, what part of her body is mutilated apart from her throat?
5. What is Mallory allowed to keep even though she is on compassionate leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margot go to the bank?
2. How is Siddon described in Chapter 4?
3. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
4. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
5. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
6. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
7. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
8. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
9. How does Mallory act at the crime scene of her father?
10. What is of significance to the pawnbroker about the jewelry brought in by the junkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Mallory, Coffey, Riker, and Butler; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
Essay Topic 2
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the murder suspects. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the novel. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does O'Connell insert foreshadowing into the novel? is it effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)