|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second victim of the Gray Lady Killer?
2. Who has a famous reputation that allows her/him entry into the seance?
3. Who is at a family barbecue when he is called to the scene when Mallory is putting Markowitz's wedding ring back on his finger?
4. Who recognizes that the watch and a wedding ring belong to Louis Markowitz?
5. Who decides to put Coffey on the investigation by starting an office pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Margot cannot get into her apartment, how does she reveal her desperation in her subsequent acts?
2. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
3. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
4. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
5. How does Mallory gain access into the theater where Gaynor is?
6. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
7. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
8. Despite what limitations does Butler like Cathery?
9. Why does Margot go to the bank?
10. How is Siddon described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mallory's personality invokes strong attraction for multiple characters ranging from Butler to Coffey. Why is this so? Whom is she attracted to if anyone? What is it about Mallory's personality that evokes protective instincts in men? What are some of her negative characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did O'Connell choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How is sexuality portrayed in Mallory's Oracle? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)