|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kaplan tell that it is not necessary to sit with the dead?
2. What was Markowitz's office's back wall covered in before his death?
3. Who says that the séance may be a case of mass psychosis?
4. If Markowitz's possessions are being pawned off, what does it reveal about him?
5. Whose house does Mallory visit to learn more about her father's dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
2. Why is Butler upset with Mallory in her new office in his building?
3. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
4. How does Mallory act at the crime scene of her father?
5. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
6. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
7. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
8. How is Mallory described in the book?
9. Why is Sloop unable to tell the exact time of death of Markowitz?
10. When Mallory tells Butler about the seance, what conclusions does he draw about people and information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Coffey's character, comparing and contrasting him with Butler and Riker.
Essay Topic 2
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the novel. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does O'Connell insert foreshadowing into the novel? is it effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)