|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks into Edith Candle's computer to watch her activities?
2. What profile is most likely inaccurate because every case in New York is different?
3. Who passes out in the theater drunk?
4. Who suffers from the after effects of an accident during which she broke a hip?
5. If Markowitz's possessions are being pawned off, what does it reveal about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
2. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
3. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
4. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
5. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
6. How do Kaplan and Mallory interact at the crime scene?
7. Why does Mallory run out screaming from the seance?
8. Why does Margot go to the bank?
9. What does one of Butler's tenants tell him about the building and other tenants?
10. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who feels betrayed in Mallory's Oracle and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 2
Edith and Gaylor are two intriguing characters involved with seances.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Edith had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Gaylor had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the seance group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Mallory's Oracle is a detective fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)