|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the building in which Mallory has a new office?
2. Where does Mallory go to the séance?
3. Who realizes that she lost her keys and cannot get into her apartment in her stress about the inheritance?
4. Who recounts Max's death to Mallory?
5. What is an example of equipment used in Maximillian's Traveling Magic Show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the pawnbroker call Mallory?
2. Why does the photographer think Siddon committed suicide?
3. Why does Margot go to the bank?
4. What does Mallory notice or fail to notice as she wanders through Manhattan on her way to meet Gaynor?
5. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
6. Why does a dog jump out the window in the prologue?
7. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
8. How was Mallory adopted by the Markowitz family?
9. How is Mallory described in the book?
10. When Margot cannot get into her apartment, how does she reveal her desperation in her subsequent acts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the murder suspects. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mallory behave in order to develop her image as a tough cop? Why do many people consider Mallory a sociopath? What is appealing to her about her own particular lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
O'Connell uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)