|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the dog hears his mistress's call, what does it do when it realizes that the woman is dying?
(a) Panics and jumps through a window.
(b) Pants and barks.
(c) Runs in circles.
(d) Pees on the carpet.
2. Whose house does Mallory visit to learn more about her father's dancing?
3. Who does Mallory examine that is mutilated?
(a) The young boy.
(b) The young girl.
(c) The old woman.
(d) The old man.
4. Who gives Butler background on Margot's juvenile delinquency?
5. Who pushes Butler into becoming a partner in a new business?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is becoming delirious from a lack of food and sleep and sees her/his rapist on the subway?
2. What movie does O'Connell make references to by Alfred Hitchcock in Chapter 4?
3. Who carried the board for Mallory to her car?
4. At Siddon's crime scene, what part of her body is mutilated apart from her throat?
5. Who goes to Mallory's apartment to tell her that she is on compassionate leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margot stab a man in the subway?
2. Why is Butler's presence at poker important?
3. When Mallory tells Butler about the seance, what conclusions does he draw about people and information?
4. How is Mallory described in the book?
5. What are possible motives for Cathery to commit the murder?
6. Why is Butler able to relate to Cathery?
7. What does Edith reveal about showmanship and fraud?
8. How does Butler handle Mrs. Pickering request for help and her doubts about her mother's pet medium?
9. What does Butler do at Markowitz' funeral that shocks everyone?
10. Why is Margot unable to prove that she is related to Siddon?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)