|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sheds fake tears for Coffey and the District Attorney?
2. How does Mallory treat Butler in comparison to Edith?
(a) She treats them equally.
(b) She is cold to him and compassionate to him.
(c) She is considerate at first to Butler but then becomes cold and friendly only to Edith.
(d) She is compassionate to him and cold to her.
3. Who visits Mallory in the hospital after she recovers from the tea?
(a) Jan and James.
(b) Coffey and Butler.
(c) Butler and Madison.
(d) Mark and Manon.
4. Of all the original suspects, who is the ONLY one that Mallory inadvertently trusted?
5. In the cryptic conversation with the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe, who died in childbirth?
(b) An heiress.
(c) A young girl.
6. Why does Mallory not want to help the medium?
(a) Because of Coffey.
(b) Because of Banning.
(c) Because of Butler.
(d) Because of Markowitz.
7. Who will surely go to jail for a long time?
8. Who emerges as a reluctant hero/ine by the end of the novel?
9. Whose house does Butler visit for lunch and reminisce about Gramercy Park?
10. Who leaves Edith in charge of Gaynor?
11. What was Edith's scam meant to achieve for her?
(a) Give her control.
(b) Give her fame.
(c) Give her lots of money.
(d) Give her youth.
12. What does Mallory consider is good enough to do by the end of the novel?
(a) Do right by Max.
(b) Do right by Riker.
(c) Do right by Coffey.
(d) Do right by Butler.
13. Who stabs a rapist in the subway?
14. Who acted illegally in order to gain evidence and access to the crime scene throughout the novel?
15. Who does Mallory trust the most by the end of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Butler?
2. In the cryptic conversation with the mystery caller contacted by Evenroe, who was blamed for the death of the child-bearing person?
3. Who is waiting for a cab to go to a boat at the end of the book?
4. Who arrives at Edith's apartment and confronts her with the information he had pieced together at Mallory's apartment?
5. Who reveals a strong attraction and competition with Mallory throughout the novel?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)