|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hippie ask the cobbler if he believes in?
2. Where does the boy try to abandon Naga?
3. What animal does the boy's father capture in the forest in "Naga"?
4. Who is the man with the tufted beard that Sambu's mother talks to?
5. What is Sidda accused of stealing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between two characters in any story in "Malgudi Days." Is it healthy? Unhealthy? What does each character get out of the relationship? What is the symbolism in certain parts of their connection to each other? What message is Narayan trying to convey through these two characters' relationship with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
Essay Topic 3
In a well-written essay, discuss three benefits AND three challenges of constructing a novel entirely of vignettes. Make sure to use examples from "Malgudi Days" to support your thesis.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)