|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shanta plan to wear to the movies?
2. How long has it taken Soma to make his statue of a god?
3. Who is Ranga?
4. What is the name of the teacher Swami complains about?
5. What causes the family that Velan works for to rent out their house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
2. What does Shanta's mother know about the trip to the movies that Shanta does not?
3. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
4. What makes Iswaren demoralized in "Iswaren"?
5. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
6. Why is Rama's business insecure?
7. Where does Selvi end up at the end of her story?
8. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
9. What happens when the necklace is found in "Leela's Friend"?
10. Why does the talkative man think his luck has changed in "Engine Trouble"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose 3 examples of characters acting in a way that is not typical for them (such as Dr. Raman lying to his friend Gopal about his medical condition). Why does each character deviate from his or her usual behavior? What does the reader learn about each character as a result of this change? Make sure you use specific examples from the text when discussing each character.
Essay Topic 2
Using 2 female characters from "Malgudi Days," analyze the role of women in the text. Make sure to use specific quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the titles of at least 4 vignettes and discuss how each title fits into the larger title of the novel.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)