|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
2. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
3. From whom does the dog initially defend the blind man?
4. How does the talkative man reach the village with the tiger?
5. How long does it take Gopal to become ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Ramu's mother have of him after they fight?
2. What does Ayah have to leave the children and family in her care?
3. Why is Rao so frustrated when he gets home after Shanta is sleeping?
4. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
5. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
6. Why does Dr. Raman always tell the truth to patients, no matter how hard it may be for them to hear?
7. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
8. How does the astrologer know so much about Guru Nayak when he comes to have his horoscope read?
9. What kind of building does the landlord run?
10. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Narayan leave some stories finished and others unresolved? What is Narayan trying to convey through these contrasting conclusions? Make sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two examples of the government and/or government programs present in "Malgudi Days." Discuss 1) what was going on in India at the time this novel takes place, and 2) how this may have affected Narayan's portrayal of the government and government programs in "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 3
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)