|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the dog hang around the market before it meets the blind man?
2. What test taker number is Iswaren?
3. Why does Kannan decide he can gamble?
4. Who tells Soma that he must damage his statue?
5. What item does Ranga steal from the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ramanujan so strict about sticking to one particular date for Kamakshi's wedding?
2. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
3. What motivates the blind man's fellow merchants to cut the leash that the blind man uses to keep the dog with him at all times?
4. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
5. Where does Selvi end up at the end of her story?
6. Why does the talkative man end up quitting music?
7. What does Ayah have to leave the children and family in her care?
8. How does the reader know how much time passes during "The Axe"?
9. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
10. Why does the boy go back to get Naga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose 3 examples of marriage in "Malgudi Days" and discuss what commentary Narayan is making about the institution of marriage. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose 3 examples of characters acting in a way that is not typical for them (such as Dr. Raman lying to his friend Gopal about his medical condition). Why does each character deviate from his or her usual behavior? What does the reader learn about each character as a result of this change? Make sure you use specific examples from the text when discussing each character.
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)