|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys the property Velan has worked on for years and years?
2. Who tells Soma that he must damage his statue?
3. What reason does Swami give his dad for not wanting to go to school?
4. How does Atilla react to Ranga?
5. What makes Raju try to return the stolen purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone so afraid of Soma's statue of the god?
2. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
3. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
4. What happens to Rama after his business goes under?
5. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
6. How does Sambu's mother react to seeing her husband reading a newspaper in the movie?
7. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
8. What happens with Rama Rao's suicide attempt?
9. Why is Ramanujan so strict about sticking to one particular date for Kamakshi's wedding?
10. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using 2 female characters from "Malgudi Days," analyze the role of women in the text. Make sure to use specific quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least 3 characters from the short stories in "Malgudi Days" and discuss 1) their relationship(s) with religion, god(s), and/or other religious figures and 2) what message Narayan is trying to convey through these characters' experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Choose 3 examples of characters acting in a way that is not typical for them (such as Dr. Raman lying to his friend Gopal about his medical condition). Why does each character deviate from his or her usual behavior? What does the reader learn about each character as a result of this change? Make sure you use specific examples from the text when discussing each character.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)