|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shanta learning at school?
2. Where does the talkative man sleep when the tiger comes?
3. What kind of marriage does Ramanujan want for Kamakshi?
4. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
5. What does the old man end up using to leash the dog by the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Raman always tell the truth to patients, no matter how hard it may be for them to hear?
2. Why is Govind Singh afraid of the registered letter he gets from his former employer?
3. Why does Dr. Raman change his rule about being honest when it comes to his friend Gopal's medical situation?
4. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
5. What does Rama Rao plan to do with the money he gets from selling his home?
6. What happens to Rama after his business goes under?
7. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
8. What makes Iyer's threat of embarrassment particularly threatening to the newcomer on the train?
9. What motivates the blind man's fellow merchants to cut the leash that the blind man uses to keep the dog with him at all times?
10. Where does Selvi end up at the end of her story?
Essay Topic 1
Choose 3 examples of marriage in "Malgudi Days" and discuss what commentary Narayan is making about the institution of marriage. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Narayan leave some stories finished and others unresolved? What is Narayan trying to convey through these contrasting conclusions? Make sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two examples of the government and/or government programs present in "Malgudi Days." Discuss 1) what was going on in India at the time this novel takes place, and 2) how this may have affected Narayan's portrayal of the government and government programs in "Malgudi Days."
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)