|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action of Govind Singh's attracts a police officer's attention?
2. Where does Kannan want to gamble?
3. What goals does the talkative man have for himself and his music?
4. How does the talkative man reach the village with the tiger?
5. What does Gopal want to do if he is expected to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Rama Rao's suicide attempt?
2. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
3. What acts of violence do the hippie and the cobbler confess to committing?
4. What is the talkative man's strongest weapon against the man-eating tiger?
5. Why does Dr. Raman change his rule about being honest when it comes to his friend Gopal's medical situation?
6. What makes Iyer's threat of embarrassment particularly threatening to the newcomer on the train?
7. What does Kannan know he will fight about with his wife when he returns from gambling?
8. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
9. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
10. Why does the talkative man end up quitting music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, write a paper arguing that the short story "Selvi" does or does not fit in with the larger novel. Does its theme connect to the larger theme of "Malgudi Days"? Are the characters similar to other characters? Does the writing style and literary devices used reflect the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 2
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interactions of at least 3 characters with animals and/or nature, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)