|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Govind Singh worked as a security guard?
2. What kind of house does Kannan live in?
3. Who does the newcomer on the train force to move?
4. Why does Shanta's teacher let her go home early?
5. Who is Ranga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the cobbler refuse the gift the hippie offers as he leaves?
2. What happens to Naga after the boy rescues him (after he initially abandons him)?
3. Why does the talkative man think his luck has changed in "Engine Trouble"?
4. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
5. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
6. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
7. What do the blind man and the dog each get out of their relationship?
8. What happens with Rama Rao's suicide attempt?
9. What eventually happens to the statue of Frederick Lawley?
10. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interactions of at least 3 characters with animals and/or nature, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 3
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)