|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shanta plan to wear to the movies?
2. Where does the talkative man sleep when the tiger comes?
3. Why does Atilla's family buy a puppy?
4. How does the talkative man first try to move the engine?
5. What causes the family that Velan works for to rent out their house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
2. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
3. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
4. What happens when the necklace is found in "Leela's Friend"?
5. What happens with Rama Rao's suicide attempt?
6. What happens to Rama after his business goes under?
7. How does Ranga get out of the camp?
8. Where does Selvi end up at the end of her story?
9. Why does Dr. Raman change his rule about being honest when it comes to his friend Gopal's medical situation?
10. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the talkative man in one story that describes his character and life as a youth with how the talkative man is represented in another story about his character and life as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 3
Choose 3 examples of marriage in "Malgudi Days" and discuss what commentary Narayan is making about the institution of marriage. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)