|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Soma's regular job?
2. Who does the newcomer on the train force to move?
3. Why does entering the contest cost Rama Rao money?
4. What kind of house does Kannan live in?
5. Where is Raju finally able to pick the pocket of the man in the green blazer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
2. What does Ayah have to leave the children and family in her care?
3. What happens to Rama after his business goes under?
4. Why does Dr. Raman change his rule about being honest when it comes to his friend Gopal's medical situation?
5. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
6. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
7. What is the exorcist most interested in?
8. Why is everyone so afraid of Soma's statue of the god?
9. Why does the cobbler refuse the gift the hippie offers as he leaves?
10. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, write a paper arguing that the short story "Selvi" does or does not fit in with the larger novel. Does its theme connect to the larger theme of "Malgudi Days"? Are the characters similar to other characters? Does the writing style and literary devices used reflect the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 2
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose 3 examples of marriage in "Malgudi Days" and discuss what commentary Narayan is making about the institution of marriage. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)