|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the astrologer's wife respond to his tale of nearly killing someone?
2. What does Rama sell?
3. Who does Atilla bother the most as a puppy?
4. What is the name of the teacher Swami complains about?
5. How does the blind man initially befriend the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ranga get out of the camp?
2. What vision does Ramu's mother have of him after they fight?
3. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
4. Why does Kannan take his son's money?
5. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
6. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
7. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
8. Why does the cobbler refuse the gift the hippie offers as he leaves?
9. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
10. What does Shanta's mother know about the trip to the movies that Shanta does not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-constructed essay addressing why the dog returns to the blind man in "The Blind Dog." What message is Narayan trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Choose 3 "good" acts done by 3 different characters in "Malgudi Days." Discuss 1) what happens to each character as a result of this act and 2) what message Narayan is trying to convey through these events.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)