|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action of Govind Singh's attracts a police officer's attention?
2. After he retires, what does Govind Singh receive each month from his employer?
3. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
4. How long does it take for things to settle down before Rama can try to reopen his business?
5. How does the astrologer's wife respond to his tale of nearly killing someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
2. Why is everyone so afraid of Soma's statue of the god?
3. Why is the astrologer so upset at the payment Guru Nayak gives him for his reading?
4. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
5. What makes Iswaren demoralized in "Iswaren"?
6. Why does Thanappa hide some of the mail for Ramanujan's family?
7. How does the reader know how much time passes during "The Axe"?
8. What does Rama Rao plan to do with the money he gets from selling his home?
9. What does the cobra symbolize in "The Snake-Song"?
10. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-written essay, discuss three benefits AND three challenges of constructing a novel entirely of vignettes. Make sure to use examples from "Malgudi Days" to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one short story from "Malgudi Days" and analyze at least 3 literary devices Narayan uses to create the tone for the story. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)