|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
2. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
3. From whom does the dog initially defend the blind man?
4. How does the talkative man reach the village with the tiger?
5. How long does it take Gopal to become ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Ramu's mother have of him after they fight?
2. What does Ayah have to leave the children and family in her care?
3. Why is Rao so frustrated when he gets home after Shanta is sleeping?
4. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
5. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
6. Why does Dr. Raman always tell the truth to patients, no matter how hard it may be for them to hear?
7. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
8. How does the astrologer know so much about Guru Nayak when he comes to have his horoscope read?
9. What kind of building does the landlord run?
10. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least 3 characters from the short stories in "Malgudi Days" and discuss 1) their relationship(s) with religion, god(s), and/or other religious figures and 2) what message Narayan is trying to convey through these characters' experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between two characters in any story in "Malgudi Days." Is it healthy? Unhealthy? What does each character get out of the relationship? What is the symbolism in certain parts of their connection to each other? What message is Narayan trying to convey through these two characters' relationship with each other?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)