|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the astrologer's wife respond to his tale of nearly killing someone?
2. On what street does Rama have his business?
3. How does Narayan describe the train when Iyer gets on it?
4. Why does Govind Singh retire?
5. Where does Kannan want to gamble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the astrologer know so much about Guru Nayak when he comes to have his horoscope read?
2. What does Kannan know he will fight about with his wife when he returns from gambling?
3. Why does Thanappa hide some of the mail for Ramanujan's family?
4. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
5. Why is Raju wearing the clothes he is in "Trail of the Green Blazer"?
6. What does the cobra symbolize in "The Snake-Song"?
7. What leads to Iswaren's death?
8. How does the reader know how much time passes during "The Axe"?
9. Why does Dr. Raman always tell the truth to patients, no matter how hard it may be for them to hear?
10. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least 3 characters from the short stories in "Malgudi Days" and discuss 1) their relationship(s) with religion, god(s), and/or other religious figures and 2) what message Narayan is trying to convey through these characters' experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-constructed essay addressing why the dog returns to the blind man in "The Blind Dog." What message is Narayan trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)