|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Raju try to return the stolen purse?
2. How does the talkative man finally take down the statue of Frederick Lawley?
3. Who does Atilla bother the most as a puppy?
4. How much money does Raju initially steal from the man in the green blazer?
5. Who is Ranga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must the accountant open Govind Singh's letter?
2. What act finally causes Swami to get caned by his teacher?
3. What happens to Rama after his business goes under?
4. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
5. Why is Govind Singh afraid of the registered letter he gets from his former employer?
6. What acts of violence do the hippie and the cobbler confess to committing?
7. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
8. What do the blind man and the dog each get out of their relationship?
9. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
10. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using 2 female characters from "Malgudi Days," analyze the role of women in the text. Make sure to use specific quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Narayan leave some stories finished and others unresolved? What is Narayan trying to convey through these contrasting conclusions? Make sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)