|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first job Velan gets after leaving his hometown?
2. What item does the man in the green blazer buy for a motherless boy?
3. What does Rama sell?
4. How does the blind man initially befriend the dog?
5. What happens to Soma's house after he shows people the statue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What acts of violence do the hippie and the cobbler confess to committing?
2. What makes Iswaren demoralized in "Iswaren"?
3. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
4. Why does Dr. Raman always tell the truth to patients, no matter how hard it may be for them to hear?
5. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
6. Why is Rama's business insecure?
7. What happens when the necklace is found in "Leela's Friend"?
8. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
9. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
10. What is the exorcist most interested in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose 3 examples of characters acting in a way that is not typical for them (such as Dr. Raman lying to his friend Gopal about his medical condition). Why does each character deviate from his or her usual behavior? What does the reader learn about each character as a result of this change? Make sure you use specific examples from the text when discussing each character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the endings of two short stories from "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 3
Choose one short story from "Malgudi Days" and analyze at least 3 literary devices Narayan uses to create the tone for the story. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your paper.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)