|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the talkative man sleep when the tiger comes?
2. Who is Ranga?
3. Where is Raju finally able to pick the pocket of the man in the green blazer?
4. Who is Atilla named after?
5. How long does it take for things to settle down before Rama can try to reopen his business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sambu's mother react to seeing her husband reading a newspaper in the movie?
2. What kind of building does the landlord run?
3. Why does the talkative man think his luck has changed in "Engine Trouble"?
4. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
5. What happens to Rama after his business goes under?
6. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
7. What acts of violence do the hippie and the cobbler confess to committing?
8. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
9. Why does Thanappa hide some of the mail for Ramanujan's family?
10. What leads to Iswaren's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using direct evidence from the text, write a paper arguing that the short story "Selvi" does or does not fit in with the larger novel. Does its theme connect to the larger theme of "Malgudi Days"? Are the characters similar to other characters? Does the writing style and literary devices used reflect the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 3
In a well-written essay, discuss three benefits AND three challenges of constructing a novel entirely of vignettes. Make sure to use examples from "Malgudi Days" to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)