|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the blind man initially befriend the dog?
2. What does the talkative man hit accidentally with his engine?
3. How much money does Raju initially steal from the man in the green blazer?
4. What does Swami's father write a letter complaining about?
5. What does Iswaren's family think about his passing the exam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
2. How does Ranga get out of the camp?
3. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
4. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
5. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
6. Why must the accountant open Govind Singh's letter?
7. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
8. Why does Kannan take his son's money?
9. What does Ayah have to leave the children and family in her care?
10. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Narayan leave some stories finished and others unresolved? What is Narayan trying to convey through these contrasting conclusions? Make sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-constructed essay addressing why the dog returns to the blind man in "The Blind Dog." What message is Narayan trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the talkative man in one story that describes his character and life as a youth with how the talkative man is represented in another story about his character and life as an adult.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)