Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Rama Rao win from the contest each week?
2. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
3. From whom does the dog initially defend the blind man?
4. How does the talkative man reach the village with the tiger?
5. How long does it take Gopal to become ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Ramu's mother have of him after they fight?
2. What does Ayah have to leave the children and family in her care?
3. Why is Rao so frustrated when he gets home after Shanta is sleeping?
4. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
5. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
6. Why does Dr. Raman always tell the truth to patients, no matter how hard it may be for them to hear?
7. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
8. How does the astrologer know so much about Guru Nayak when he comes to have his horoscope read?
9. What kind of building does the landlord run?
10. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
Write a well-constructed essay addressing why the dog returns to the blind man in "The Blind Dog." What message is Narayan trying to convey?
Using direct evidence from the text, write a paper arguing that the short story "Selvi" does or does not fit in with the larger novel. Does its theme connect to the larger theme of "Malgudi Days"? Are the characters similar to other characters? Does the writing style and literary devices used reflect the rest of the text?
Choose at least 3 characters from the short stories in "Malgudi Days" and discuss 1) their relationship(s) with religion, god(s), and/or other religious figures and 2) what message Narayan is trying to convey through these characters' experiences.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)