|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kamakshi when the reader first meets her?
2. Where does Kannan eventually get gambling money from?
3. What does Kannan find in the tin where his wife keeps her money?
4. How does Atilla react to Ranga?
5. Why does Govind Singh retire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the talkative man end up quitting music?
2. How does Sambu's mother react to seeing her husband reading a newspaper in the movie?
3. Why is Rao so frustrated when he gets home after Shanta is sleeping?
4. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
5. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
6. What eventually happens to the statue of Frederick Lawley?
7. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
8. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
9. What motivates the blind man's fellow merchants to cut the leash that the blind man uses to keep the dog with him at all times?
10. How does the reader know how much time passes during "The Axe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the talkative man in one story that describes his character and life as a youth with how the talkative man is represented in another story about his character and life as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
Choose 3 examples of characters acting in a way that is not typical for them (such as Dr. Raman lying to his friend Gopal about his medical condition). Why does each character deviate from his or her usual behavior? What does the reader learn about each character as a result of this change? Make sure you use specific examples from the text when discussing each character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)