|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Narayan describe the train when Iyer gets on it?
2. What kind of house does Kannan live in?
3. How much does Rama earn each day in sales?
4. What animal enters the room while the talkative man is playing music (after he has banned the sadhu from entering)?
5. How old is Kamakshi when the reader first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the lost boy that Raman befriends?
2. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
3. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
4. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
5. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
6. What is the talkative man's strongest weapon against the man-eating tiger?
7. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
8. What happens with Rama Rao's suicide attempt?
9. What leads to Iswaren's death?
10. What does Kannan know he will fight about with his wife when he returns from gambling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least 3 characters from the short stories in "Malgudi Days" and discuss 1) their relationship(s) with religion, god(s), and/or other religious figures and 2) what message Narayan is trying to convey through these characters' experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one short story from "Malgudi Days" and analyze at least 3 literary devices Narayan uses to create the tone for the story. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the talkative man in one story that describes his character and life as a youth with how the talkative man is represented in another story about his character and life as an adult.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)