|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Govind Singh worked as a security guard?
2. Where is Rajam Iyer's train headed?
3. Where does Iswaren go to see a movie?
4. How much does Rama earn each day in sales?
5. How does the talkative man finally take down the statue of Frederick Lawley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
2. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
3. What eventually happens to the statue of Frederick Lawley?
4. What does Rama Rao plan to do with the money he gets from selling his home?
5. What do the blind man and the dog each get out of their relationship?
6. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
7. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
8. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
9. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
10. Why does the boy go back to get Naga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose 3 examples of characters acting in a way that is not typical for them (such as Dr. Raman lying to his friend Gopal about his medical condition). Why does each character deviate from his or her usual behavior? What does the reader learn about each character as a result of this change? Make sure you use specific examples from the text when discussing each character.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two examples of the government and/or government programs present in "Malgudi Days." Discuss 1) what was going on in India at the time this novel takes place, and 2) how this may have affected Narayan's portrayal of the government and government programs in "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)