|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Shanta?
2. What does Rama sell?
3. Who is Ramanujan?
4. Where is Raju finally able to pick the pocket of the man in the green blazer?
5. What goals does the talkative man's music teacher have for himself and his music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
2. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
3. Why does Raju pick the man in the green blazer to target?
4. What does the cobra symbolize in "The Snake-Song"?
5. What vision does Ramu's mother have of him after they fight?
6. What ultimately happens to the lost boy that Raman befriends?
7. What is the exorcist most interested in?
8. Why does Dr. Raman change his rule about being honest when it comes to his friend Gopal's medical situation?
9. Why is everyone so afraid of Soma's statue of the god?
10. What do the blind man and the dog each get out of their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between two characters in any story in "Malgudi Days." Is it healthy? Unhealthy? What does each character get out of the relationship? What is the symbolism in certain parts of their connection to each other? What message is Narayan trying to convey through these two characters' relationship with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Using direct evidence from the text, write a paper arguing that the short story "Selvi" does or does not fit in with the larger novel. Does its theme connect to the larger theme of "Malgudi Days"? Are the characters similar to other characters? Does the writing style and literary devices used reflect the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)