|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Raman feel about nature?
2. What reason does Swami give his dad for not wanting to go to school?
3. How long has Govind Singh worked as a security guard?
4. In what region is the village the talkative man goes to visit when he encounters the tiger?
5. How does Atilla react to Ranga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Raman change his rule about being honest when it comes to his friend Gopal's medical situation?
2. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
3. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
4. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
5. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
6. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
7. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
8. What does Shanta's mother know about the trip to the movies that Shanta does not?
9. What does the cobra symbolize in "The Snake-Song"?
10. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the talkative man in one story that describes his character and life as a youth with how the talkative man is represented in another story about his character and life as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-written essay, 1) discuss what message you think Narayan is trying to convey to his reader about fate, 2) at least 2 literary devices Narayan uses to support this position, and 3) whether or not you agree with Narayan's take on fate.
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)