|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of contest does Rama Rao end up entering each week?
2. What kind of house does Kannan live in?
3. How tall is the statue of Frederick Lawley?
4. Where does Govind Singh work?
5. What kind of clothing does the astrologer wear when he is first introduced in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rama's business insecure?
2. What does Kannan know he will fight about with his wife when he returns from gambling?
3. How does Ranga get out of the camp?
4. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
5. What makes Iswaren demoralized in "Iswaren"?
6. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
7. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
8. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
9. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
10. Why must the accountant open Govind Singh's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, write a paper arguing that the short story "Selvi" does or does not fit in with the larger novel. Does its theme connect to the larger theme of "Malgudi Days"? Are the characters similar to other characters? Does the writing style and literary devices used reflect the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one short story from "Malgudi Days" and analyze at least 3 literary devices Narayan uses to create the tone for the story. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interactions of at least 3 characters with animals and/or nature, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)