|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Soma's house after he shows people the statue?
2. How does Dr. Raman know Gopal?
3. How much money does Raju initially steal from the man in the green blazer?
4. What government wants to nationalize the street names in "Lawley Road"?
5. How does the talkative man first try to take down the statue of Frederick Lawley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts does Rao plan to bring to the woman he slapped nearly 50 years ago?
2. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
3. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
4. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
5. What does Shanta's mother know about the trip to the movies that Shanta does not?
6. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
7. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
8. What act finally causes Swami to get caned by his teacher?
9. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
10. What does Kannan know he will fight about with his wife when he returns from gambling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one short story from "Malgudi Days" and analyze at least 3 literary devices Narayan uses to create the tone for the story. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interactions of at least 3 characters with animals and/or nature, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)