|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to buy Rama Rao's old house?
2. Why does Rama Rao and his family have to move out of their home?
3. What time does Shanta expect to go to the movies?
4. How does the talkative man first try to take down the statue of Frederick Lawley?
5. What item does the man in the green blazer buy for a motherless boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Ramu's mother have of him after they fight?
2. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
3. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
4. What makes Iyer's threat of embarrassment particularly threatening to the newcomer on the train?
5. Why does the talkative man think his luck has changed in "Engine Trouble"?
6. Why must the accountant open Govind Singh's letter?
7. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
8. What is the talkative man's strongest weapon against the man-eating tiger?
9. What happens with Rama Rao's suicide attempt?
10. How does the astrologer know so much about Guru Nayak when he comes to have his horoscope read?
Essay Topic 1
Choose 3 examples of marriage in "Malgudi Days" and discuss what commentary Narayan is making about the institution of marriage. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one short story from "Malgudi Days" and analyze at least 3 literary devices Narayan uses to create the tone for the story. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your paper.
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)