|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does entering the contest cost Rama Rao money?
2. What kind of marriage does Ramanujan want for Kamakshi?
3. What goals does the talkative man have for himself and his music?
4. What does the old man end up using to leash the dog by the end of the story?
5. Where does the talkative man first try to keep his engine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ranga get out of the camp?
2. What happens when the necklace is found in "Leela's Friend"?
3. Why does the boy go back to get Naga?
4. What can the god Nataraja do through dancing?
5. How does the reader know how much time passes during "The Axe"?
6. What leads to Iswaren's death?
7. Why does the talkative man think his luck has changed in "Engine Trouble"?
8. What does Shanta's mother know about the trip to the movies that Shanta does not?
9. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
10. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using 2 female characters from "Malgudi Days," analyze the role of women in the text. Make sure to use specific quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-written essay, discuss three benefits AND three challenges of constructing a novel entirely of vignettes. Make sure to use examples from "Malgudi Days" to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose 3 examples of marriage in "Malgudi Days" and discuss what commentary Narayan is making about the institution of marriage. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)