|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What government wants to nationalize the street names in "Lawley Road"?
2. What is Kannan's usual job?
3. How long has Thanapa been a mailman when he is first introduced in the text?
4. What does the swami want the talkative man to do to him with his engine?
5. Where does Raju follow the man in the green jacket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the talkative man unable to run over the swami?
2. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
3. Why is Govind Singh afraid of the registered letter he gets from his former employer?
4. What eventually happens to the statue of Frederick Lawley?
5. What kind of relationship do Mohan and Selvi have?
6. What is the talkative man's strongest weapon against the man-eating tiger?
7. What act of courtesy do the wreckers extend to Velan?
8. What act finally causes Swami to get caned by his teacher?
9. Why does Raman think Daisy may have left him?
10. Why is Rama's business insecure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the titles of at least 4 vignettes and discuss how each title fits into the larger title of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between two characters in any story in "Malgudi Days." Is it healthy? Unhealthy? What does each character get out of the relationship? What is the symbolism in certain parts of their connection to each other? What message is Narayan trying to convey through these two characters' relationship with each other?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)