|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Atilla named after?
2. Where does Kannan eventually get gambling money from?
3. What kind of contest does Rama Rao end up entering each week?
4. What exam does Iswaren have a problem passing?
5. Where does Raju follow the man in the green jacket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
2. Why is the astrologer so upset at the payment Guru Nayak gives him for his reading?
3. Why does Sambu want to get a second opinion on his mother's health?
4. Why is Rama's business insecure?
5. What ultimately happens to the lost boy that Raman befriends?
6. What is the exorcist most interested in?
7. How does Sambu's mother react to seeing her husband reading a newspaper in the movie?
8. What makes Iyer's threat of embarrassment particularly threatening to the newcomer on the train?
9. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
10. What does Rama Rao plan to do with the money he gets from selling his home?
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least 3 female characters from "Malgudi Days." What do these characters have in common? What is different between them? What commentary is Narayan providing about women and society through these women's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-constructed essay addressing why the dog returns to the blind man in "The Blind Dog." What message is Narayan trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the talkative man in one story that describes his character and life as a youth with how the talkative man is represented in another story about his character and life as an adult.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)