|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tiger known for?
2. What goals does the talkative man's music teacher have for himself and his music?
3. Why does Velan leave his birthplace?
4. How old is Shanta?
5. What kind of marriage does Ramanujan want for Kamakshi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
2. How does the talkative man know how to fend the man-eating tiger off?
3. Why is Rao so frustrated when he gets home after Shanta is sleeping?
4. Why does the talkative man think his luck has changed in "Engine Trouble"?
5. What kind of camp is Ranga taken to?
6. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
7. Why does the lady of the house compare Atilla to a detective instead of a watchdog?
8. Why does Swami feel the need to make up such a complicated story about why he doesn't want to go to school?
9. What identifies Ranga as the thief?
10. Why does the boy go back to get Naga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the titles of at least 4 vignettes and discuss how each title fits into the larger title of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Narayan leave some stories finished and others unresolved? What is Narayan trying to convey through these contrasting conclusions? Make sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)