|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Swami not want to go to school on?
2. How long has Govind Singh worked as a security guard?
3. How tall is the statue of Frederick Lawley?
4. How long has it taken Soma to make his statue of a god?
5. How does Narayan describe the train when Iyer gets on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Iyer lose his confidence while standing up to the newcomer on the train?
2. Why is Ramanujan so strict about sticking to one particular date for Kamakshi's wedding?
3. What does Rama Rao plan to do with the money he gets from selling his home?
4. Why is Raju wearing the clothes he is in "Trail of the Green Blazer"?
5. What leads to Iswaren's death?
6. What does Rao think about the dog he encounters?
7. How does Ranga get out of the camp?
8. What is ironic about the final name change of the street that the talkative man has his house on?
9. Why must Sambu meet with the tufted-beard man even though he doesn't want to?
10. What kind of building does the landlord run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss Narayan's treatment of death and dying through the experiences of at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days."
Essay Topic 2Use at least 3 characters from "Malgudi Days" to present an argument showing what values Narayan holds most important in a person/character. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3Choose two examples of the government and/or government programs present in "Malgudi Days." Discuss 1) what was going on in India at the time this novel takes place, and 2) how this may have affected Narayan's portrayal of the government and government programs in "Malgudi Days."
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)