|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IV, Stanza 5, why does Maldoror say he once scalped a man?
2. What pleased Maldoror in his dream in Book IV, Stanza 6?
3. In Book V, Stanza 6, what reason does the narrator give for not being able to write about death?
4. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what problem does Maldoror run into?
5. What form does the spirit take in Book V, Stanza 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book V, Stanza 2, what does the narrator realize about the vulture and the owl?
2. Why does the man in Book IV, Stanza 7 live at sea?
3. What happens when Maldoror first sees Mervyn?
4. What happened to Maldoror in Book IV, Stanza 4?
5. What introduction to Book V does the narrator give?
6. What happened when Maldoror fell asleep on the cliff in Book IV, Stanza 6?
7. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what is the narrator's message about laughter?
8. What does the narrator reflect on in Book IV, Stanza 1?
9. What have men done to Maldoror in Book IV, Stanza 4?
10. How are the beetle and the man-pelican related?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of evil throughout "Lautréamont's Maldoror." Discuss how these themes are presented and how free will is part of evil or goodness, giving examples from the text of the choices that a person can make.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way the poem, "Lautréamont's Maldoror" is organized. Why did the poet use these divisions? What makes these divisions effective? How are they ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of morality in this poem. What is Lautréamont's message? Give examples from the poem to support your statements about morality.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)