|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed about the beetles balls once he rolls them up the mound?
2. What does the narrator tell the vulture to do in Book V, Stanza 2?
3. In Book IV, Stanza 2, why does the narrator talk about flies?
4. What provides the man with webbed feet with everything he needs?
5. In Book V, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say is unique about his point of view?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Maldoror fell asleep on the cliff in Book IV, Stanza 6?
2. In Book V, Stanza 2, what does the beetle do?
3. What happens when Maldoror first sees Mervyn?
4. How does Elsseneur try to seek revenge against Maldoror?
5. In Book VI, Stanza 4, what does Maldoror learn from listening in at Mervyn's door?
6. How does Maldoror compare himself to the man with stolen eyes in Book IV, Stanza 5?
7. What happens when Maldoror sees the man hanging from the gallows?
8. How does Maldoror's letter to Mervyn impact Mervyn?
9. How has the man in Book IV, Stanza 7 adapted to living at sea?
10. Why does Maldoror always remember Falmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Lautréamont's life and period in which he lived. How does this history impact the poem? Make sure you reference secondary sources and give specific examples of the impact on the poem.
Essay Topic 2
How is "Lautréamont's Maldoror" a critique of Christianity? Give examples of Christian themes or symbols used by the author and their implications.
Essay Topic 3
How does Lautréamont use surrealism throughout this poem? What is the effect of this device? How is it effective or ineffective? Make sure you define surrealism in your essay and use specific examples of it in the poem.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)