|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the beetle in Book V, Stanza 2 upset about someone forgetting a woman?
2. How does Maldoror describe his physical appearance in Book V, Stanza 5?
3. What is revealed about the beetles balls once he rolls them up the mound?
4. Who tells the reader that Maldoror is a pedarist?
5. In Book IV, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say is in his inquiry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maldoror's letter to Mervyn impact Mervyn?
2. In Book VI, Stanza 4, what does Maldoror learn from listening in at Mervyn's door?
3. How does Maldoror compare himself to the man with stolen eyes in Book IV, Stanza 5?
4. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what is Maldoror's conflict with humanity?
5. Why does Maldoror always remember Falmer?
6. What happened when Maldoror fell asleep on the cliff in Book IV, Stanza 6?
7. In Book V, Stanza 3, how does the narrator describe people's relationship to death?
8. What happens when Maldoror sees the man hanging from the gallows?
9. What introduction to Book V does the narrator give?
10. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what is the narrator's message about laughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the poet's use of a narrator and double narration. Define narrator and double narration and discuss both the benefits and drawbacks to writing a poem with these points of view.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the use of the poetic form for this piece of literature. How does this choice impact the reader? What would change if the form changed?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of morality in this poem. What is Lautréamont's message? Give examples from the poem to support your statements about morality.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)