|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book V, Stanza 4, what is the spirit's identity?
2. In Book V, Stanza 4, what is the spirit trying to do to the narrator's soul?
3. In Book IV, Stanza 2, why does Maldoror want to live among humans?
4. In Book IV, Stanza 5, how long was the man with the stolen eyes in prison?
5. In Book IV, Stanza 3, how is the man hanging from the gallows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maldoror first sees Mervyn?
2. How has the man in Book IV, Stanza 7 adapted to living at sea?
3. What does the narrator reflect on in Book IV, Stanza 1?
4. In Book V, Stanza 2, what does the beetle do?
5. What happens when Maldoror sees the man hanging from the gallows?
6. Why does Maldoror remember being angry with Falmer?
7. How does Maldoror's letter to Mervyn impact Mervyn?
8. Why does the man in Book IV, Stanza 7 live at sea?
9. In Book V, Stanza 3, how does the narrator describe people's relationship to death?
10. In Book IV, Stanza 2, what is the narrator's message about laughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "Lautréamont's Maldoror" define childhood vs. adulthood? Why are these divisions important to the poem at the time in which it was written?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the poet's use of a narrator and double narration. Define narrator and double narration and discuss both the benefits and drawbacks to writing a poem with these points of view.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why animals are used in "Lautréamont's Maldoror," giving specific examples from the text to support your reasoning.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)