|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book V, Stanza 6, how do the child's family members define Maldoror?
(a) As being a warning from God.
(b) As being a mistake.
(c) As being what their child could have been.
(d) As being the opposite of their child.
2. What is on top of the mound the beetle rolls ball to?
(a) A church.
(b) A horse-man.
(c) A man-bird.
(d) A dragon.
3. Why does Maldoror think he is the only person who can see the man with webbed feet?
(a) Because he often makes up characters.
(b) Because the man says he is an angel.
(c) Because the man says he is a devil.
(d) Because no one else notices him.
4. In Book V, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say a reader must have while reading these poems?
(a) An attentive brain.
(b) A tolerant soul.
(c) An open mind.
(d) A friend.
5. What pleased Maldoror in his dream in Book IV, Stanza 6?
(a) Leaving the human race.
(b) Being able to fly.
(c) His ability to defy God.
(d) The money he found.
6. In Book IV, Stanza 4, why does Maldoror say he continues to hate God?
(a) Because He is unjust.
(b) Because of His creations.
(c) Because of what He did to his body.
(d) Because He is a lie.
7. In Book IV, Stanza 4, why does Maldoror lose the use of his limbs?
(a) From sin.
(b) From laying in the same spot.
(c) From a train accident.
(d) From a fire.
8. Who are the boys that climb out of the spider's pocket in Book V, Stanza 7?
(a) Children Maldoror never met.
(b) Boys Maldoror tried to kill.
(c) He isn't sure.
(d) Street-boys Maldoror never helped.
9. In Book V, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say is unique about his point of view?
(a) His point of view is tainted.
(b) Other people usually don't understand him.
(c) His point of view is not educated formally.
(d) Other people have not explored these topics.
10. In Book IV, Stanza 3, what does the man in the gallows wife want from his mother?
(a) To be left alone.
(c) A reward.
(d) Her freedom.
11. What do the two women do to the man hanging from the gallows?
(a) Beat and whip him.
(b) Yell and insult him.
(c) Tar and whip him.
(d) Tar and feather him.
12. In Book IV, Stanza 3, what does Maldoror say the women look like?
13. In Book V, Stanza 1, what does the narrator say he fears will happen to the reader?
(a) They will be frightened off.
(b) They will use a dictionary to understand his words.
(c) They will follow Maldoror.
(d) They will stop reading.
14. Who tells the reader that Maldoror is a pedarist?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Maldoror himself.
(d) A homeless man.
15. When Maldoror starts following Mervyn, what is his dilemma?
(a) He is too tired to follow him.
(b) Mervyn walks too fast.
(c) Mervyn knows the police.
(d) He doesn't know what to do next.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the child's funeral service in Book V, Stanza 6?
2. When the two boys crawl out of the spider's pocket in Book V, Stanza 7, what are they holding?
3. In Book VI, what other name does the narrator give the books?
4. Where is Mervyn walking in Book IV, Stanza 3?
5. In Book V, Stanza 7, what does the spider do to Maldoror every night?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)