|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book IV, Stanza 4, why does Maldoror lose the use of his limbs?
(a) From sin.
(b) From laying in the same spot.
(c) From a train accident.
(d) From a fire.
2. What type of death does the narrator discuss in Book V, Stanza 3?
(a) Voluntary death.
(b) Death from disease.
(c) Death from old age.
(d) Unconscious death.
3. How does Maldoror describe his physical appearance in Book V, Stanza 5?
(a) He says he is attractive.
(b) He says he cannot judge his appearance.
(c) He says he is not attractive.
(d) He says he is average looking.
4. Why does Maldoror say he threw Falmer against a tree?
(a) Because Falmer gave him a Bible.
(b) Because Falmer was the preacher's son.
(c) Because Falmer threatened him.
(d) Because Falmer stopped him from killing.
5. What animal does the vulture battle in Book V, Stanza 2?
(a) An owl.
(b) A dragon.
(c) A snake.
(d) A sparrow.
6. What form does the spirit take in Book V, Stanza 4?
(a) An owl.
(b) A serpent.
(c) A dragon.
(d) A bear.
7. In Book IV, Stanza 4, how does Maldoror react to the crab he finds living in him?
(a) He says it hurts.
(b) He says it is the funniest thing he's found.
(c) He says it isn't surprising.
(d) He says it's a lie.
8. When the narrator thinks about martyrs in Book V, Stanza 3, what does he want to do?
(b) Go to sleep.
9. In Book IV, Stanza 5, who does Maldoror believe the man stole his eyes from?
(a) A troubled woman.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) A black-haired woman.
(d) A blonde woman.
10. In Book V, Stanza 2, what are the balls the beetle is rolling made of?
11. In Book IV, Stanza 7, why does the man have webbed hands and feet?
(a) He was part of an experiment.
(b) He was born that way.
(c) So he can live at sea.
(d) Because he sinned.
12. What does the narrator tell the vulture to do in Book V, Stanza 2?
(a) To show himself.
(b) To stop fighting.
(c) To fly away.
(d) To come down to earth.
13. Who does Maldoror leave the man in the gallows under the care of?
14. In Book IV, Stanza 4, what has taken over most of Maldoror's body?
(b) Chicken Pox.
(d) A rash.
15. Why does Mervyn begin walking faster?
(a) He is late.
(b) He hates Maldoror.
(c) He senses danger.
(d) He thinks he is lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vision begins the narrators rant in Book IV, Stanza 2?
2. What does Mervyn do when he reaches home in Book IV, Stanza 3?
3. Why is the beetle in Book V, Stanza 2 upset about someone forgetting a woman?
4. Why does Maldoror consider living in a cave in Book IV, Stanza 2?
5. Who tells the reader that Maldoror is a pedarist?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)