|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Stanzas 1-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Stanza 4, what does the narrator say about the purpose of this poem?
(a) To help the evil repent.
(b) To help people define evil.
(c) To show the delights of cruelty.
(d) To show the importance of birth parents.
2. What does Maldoror beg God for in Book I, Stanza 5?
(a) To free him from evil.
(b) To send him a true love.
(c) To show him one good man.
(d) To save his soul.
3. In Book II, Stanza 2, how does the narrator describe God's treatment?
4. What does the grave-digger promise to do if Maldoror stays at his house?
(a) Not ask about his past.
(b) Give him books to read.
(c) Make him breakfast.
(d) Ignore anything he says in his sleep.
5. Why does Maldoror recommend taking a child to the hospital in Book I, Chapter 6?
(a) So professionals can deal with them.
(b) So society will applaud.
(c) Because it's easier than doing it yourself.
(d) In order to do the right thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Stanza 6, what does Maldoror say is the "greatest happiness which can be conceived"?
2. Why does Maldoror say he believes God has a right to eat men?
3. Why does Maldoror say nature will wonder at his existence when he dies?
4. What does the grave-digger say happens every night at the cemetery?
5. How does Maldoror describe the talking toad he meets in Book I, Stanza 13?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)