|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does President Roosevelt die?
2. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
3. Who is the Secretary of War in 1942?
4. Where does the crew who is training for delivering of the atomic bomb go for training with radar and flying over water?
5. Where is the home base for the Air Force group that is training for the delivery of the atomic bombs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the United States government becomes involved in the atomic bomb. Discuss the roles of scientists and non-scientists, including Vannevar Bush, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Alexander Sachs, Lyman Briggs. What is the government's initial response? Does everyone in the government have the same attitude?
Essay Topic 2
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
Essay Topic 3
In the first part of the book, the author discusses the biographical background and scientific accomplishments of many international scientists. Choose three scientists from the following list. Give a brief biographical sketch of the scientist, including his nationality and where he makes the discovery. Then identify what his/her scientific accomplishment is and what its importance is to the making of the atom bomb. Becquerel & the Curies; J. J. Thomson; Planck; Einstein; Rutherford; Bohr; Moseley; Meitner & Chadwick; Heisenberg & SchrÃ¶dinger; and Chadwick
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)