|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
2. Who replaces Oppenheimer as director at Los Alamos?
3. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
4. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
5. Who is the first American scientist of administrative rank to visit Britain in 1941?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss the Japanese determination never to surrender. Give examples from the war in the Pacific. What role does this play in the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 2Discuss how the United States government becomes involved in the atomic bomb. Discuss the roles of scientists and non-scientists, including Vannevar Bush, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Alexander Sachs, Lyman Briggs. What is the government's initial response? Does everyone in the government have the same attitude?
Essay Topic 3How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)