|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
2. When does President Roosevelt die?
3. What company provides contracted employees to operate the Oak Ridge facility?
4. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
5. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the theoretical discussion of nuclear energy to the making of the atomic bomb is a relatively short period of time. Discuss what effect the wars have on this development. Would the bomb be developed as rapidly without the reality of the wars?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Japanese determination never to surrender. Give examples from the war in the Pacific. What role does this play in the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 3
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)