|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
2. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
3. Who writes "Twentieth Century Book of the Dead"?
4. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
5. Where is the Trinity test site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The discovery of the neutron is considered the beginning of nuclear physics. Why? What role does this discovery have in the making of the atomic bomb? Is the bomb built without this discovery?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
Essay Topic 3
What leads to President Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb? Discuss the military, political and scientific considerations.
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)