|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
2. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
3. Who is assigned to find the Trinity test site?
4. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
5. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the opinions of Dwight Eisenhower and Curtis LeMay, two military leaders of the time, about the use of the atomic bomb. One is involved in the European war and the other in the Pacific war. Does this make a difference?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various facilities involved with the Manhattan Project. Where are they located? Who operates them? What is their function? Are they all built at once?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)