|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Secretary of War in 1942?
2. Who is the chairman of the British Uranium Committee in the early 1940's?
3. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
4. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
5. In what state is the Hanford facility located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the United States government becomes involved in the atomic bomb. Discuss the roles of scientists and non-scientists, including Vannevar Bush, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Alexander Sachs, Lyman Briggs. What is the government's initial response? Does everyone in the government have the same attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the beginnings of the Manhattan Project. What is it? How does it get started? Who is involved in setting it up? What is the U.S. government's role in the project? What is the role of General Leslie Groves?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)