|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
2. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
3. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
4. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
5. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the theoretical discussion of nuclear energy to the making of the atomic bomb is a relatively short period of time. Discuss what effect the wars have on this development. Would the bomb be developed as rapidly without the reality of the wars?
Essay Topic 2
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)