|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
2. Who writes "Twentieth Century Book of the Dead"?
3. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
4. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
5. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The American atomic bomb building project gets bogged down in bureaucracy. How does the program get jump started? Who are the major people involved? What ware the historical events involved? Is there support in the United States for the program?
Essay Topic 2
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)