|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the U.S. Uranium Committee meet to reorganize work on the atomic bomb?
2. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
3. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
4. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
5. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Trinity and Silverplate. What are they? What is their role in the dropping of the atomic bombs? Who are the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)