|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who directs the physics department at the University of Birmingham, England, in 1939?
2. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
3. Where does the first full-scale self-sustained nuclear chain reaction occur?
4. Where does Operation Forager take place?
5. Who is Tokutaro Hagiwara?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the development of the atomic bomb in Britain, Germany and Tokyo. What ends the development?
Essay Topic 2
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)