Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
2. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
3. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
4. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
5. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
In the first part of the book, the author discusses the biographical background and scientific accomplishments of many international scientists. Choose three scientists from the following list. Give a brief biographical sketch of the scientist, including his nationality and where he makes the discovery. Then identify what his/her scientific accomplishment is and what its importance is to the making of the atom bomb. Becquerel & the Curies; J. J. Thomson; Planck; Einstein; Rutherford; Bohr; Moseley; Meitner & Chadwick; Heisenberg & SchrÃ¶dinger; and Chadwick
The discovery of the neutron is considered the beginning of nuclear physics. Why? What role does this discovery have in the making of the atomic bomb? Is the bomb built without this discovery?
Many scientific accomplishments go into making the atomic bomb possible. From the scientific standpoint, at what point does the atomic bomb become a possibility? Why? What scientist(s) are involved in this final break through?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)