Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
2. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
3. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
4. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
5. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the opinions of Dwight Eisenhower and Curtis LeMay, two military leaders of the time, about the use of the atomic bomb. One is involved in the European war and the other in the Pacific war. Does this make a difference?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Potsdam Declaration. What is it? Who is involved? Given what is known at the time, is unconditional surrender the only choice? What is the Japanese response?
Essay Topic 3
In the first part of the book, the author discusses the biographical background and scientific accomplishments of many international scientists. Choose three scientists from the following list. Give a brief biographical sketch of the scientist, including his nationality and where he makes the discovery. Then identify what his/her scientific accomplishment is and what its importance is to the making of the atom bomb. Becquerel & the Curies; J. J. Thomson; Planck; Einstein; Rutherford; Bohr; Moseley; Meitner & Chadwick; Heisenberg & SchrÃ¶dinger; and Chadwick
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)