|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
2. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
3. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
4. Where is the home base for the Air Force group that is training for the delivery of the atomic bombs?
5. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
Essay Topic 1
In the first part of the book, the author discusses the biographical background and scientific accomplishments of many international scientists. Choose three scientists from the following list. Give a brief biographical sketch of the scientist, including his nationality and where he makes the discovery. Then identify what his/her scientific accomplishment is and what its importance is to the making of the atom bomb. Becquerel & the Curies; J. J. Thomson; Planck; Einstein; Rutherford; Bohr; Moseley; Meitner & Chadwick; Heisenberg & SchrÃ¶dinger; and Chadwick
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Trinity and Silverplate. What are they? What is their role in the dropping of the atomic bombs? Who are the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Potsdam Declaration. What is it? Who is involved? Given what is known at the time, is unconditional surrender the only choice? What is the Japanese response?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)