|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1920's/1930's, what is the world's largest source of radioactive polonium?
2. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
3. Who discovers radio waves in 1893?
4. What does J.J. Thompson discover?
5. What does "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" advocate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is nuclear physics?
2. Where is the center for experimental physics after World War I?
3. When Szilard enrolls in the University of Berlin, the physics faculty includes three Nobel Laureates in physics. Who are two of these three and what is one scientific discovery they are famous for?
4. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
5. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
6. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
7. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
8. What is the position of Wigler and Szilard with respect to sharing information with the Germans?
9. What is the "Pale of Settlement"?
10. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss how the United States government becomes involved in the atomic bomb. Discuss the roles of scientists and non-scientists, including Vannevar Bush, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Alexander Sachs, Lyman Briggs. What is the government's initial response? Does everyone in the government have the same attitude?
Essay Topic 2Discuss Trinity and Silverplate. What are they? What is their role in the dropping of the atomic bombs? Who are the people involved?
Essay Topic 3What leads to President Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb? Discuss the military, political and scientific considerations.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)