|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
2. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
3. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
4. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
5. Who is the author of "Mein Kempf"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the discovery of the neutron important?
2. What is the MAUD committee?
3. What are "banzai charges"?
4. Why do the Jewish Hungarian scientists leave Hungary?
5. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
6. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
7. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
8. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
9. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
10. What is the response in the United States to the need of Jewish scientists to leave Germany and Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first part of the book, the author discusses the biographical background and scientific accomplishments of many international scientists. Choose three scientists from the following list. Give a brief biographical sketch of the scientist, including his nationality and where he makes the discovery. Then identify what his/her scientific accomplishment is and what its importance is to the making of the atom bomb. Becquerel & the Curies; J. J. Thomson; Planck; Einstein; Rutherford; Bohr; Moseley; Meitner & Chadwick; Heisenberg & SchrÃ¶dinger; and Chadwick
Essay Topic 2
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various facilities involved with the Manhattan Project. Where are they located? Who operates them? What is their function? Are they all built at once?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)