|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1920's/1930's, what is the world's largest source of radioactive polonium?
2. When does Ernest Lawrence win the Nobel Prize in Physics for producing a working model of the cyclotron?
3. Where does John von Neumann go in 1930 when he leaves Germany?
4. When does Bohr receive his Ph.D.?
5. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
2. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
3. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
4. What is the Balfour Declaration?
5. What city does General Groves remove from the target list for the atomic bomb and why?
6. What project is code named Mike and where is it designed and tested?
7. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
8. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
9. What is Albert Einstein's role in the initial contact between the nuclear scientists and President Roosevelt?
10. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the beginnings of the Manhattan Project. What is it? How does it get started? Who is involved in setting it up? What is the U.S. government's role in the project? What is the role of General Leslie Groves?
Essay Topic 2
What leads to President Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb? Discuss the military, political and scientific considerations.
Essay Topic 3
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)