|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the patent Leo Szilard gives to Lewis Strass as a memorial to Strauss' parents?
2. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
3. After World War I, the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge becomes the center for what science?
4. When World War I begins, Bohr moves from Denmark to where?
5. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the discovery of the neutron important?
2. When Szilard enrolls in the University of Berlin, the physics faculty includes three Nobel Laureates in physics. Who are two of these three and what is one scientific discovery they are famous for?
3. What is the position of Wigler and Szilard with respect to sharing information with the Germans?
4. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
5. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
6. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
7. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
8. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
9. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
10. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Potsdam Declaration. What is it? Who is involved? Given what is known at the time, is unconditional surrender the only choice? What is the Japanese response?
Essay Topic 3
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)