|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
2. What does "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" advocate?
3. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
4. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's patent applications in England?
5. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
Short Essay Questions
1. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
2. What two scientists come to Berkeley in 1928-1929 and what do they develop?
3. Where is the center for experimental physics after World War I?
4. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
5. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
6. Who suggests the existence of the neutron and who works with him to prove it?
7. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
8. What project is code named Mike and where is it designed and tested?
9. What is the Manhattan Project?
10. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The discovery of the neutron is considered the beginning of nuclear physics. Why? What role does this discovery have in the making of the atomic bomb? Is the bomb built without this discovery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Niels Bohr's analysis of the nuclear arms race to come. How does the existence of the atomic bomb change the world? What proposals does Bohr have?
Essay Topic 3
The American atomic bomb building project gets bogged down in bureaucracy. How does the program get jump started? Who are the major people involved? What ware the historical events involved? Is there support in the United States for the program?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)