|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Isador Isaac Rabi become a Nobel laureate in physics?
2. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
3. What two scientists are known to work together on gas warfare in German-occupied Brussels?
4. Who writes "The Shape of Things to Come"?
5. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Pale of Settlement"?
2. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
3. What is the Manhattan Project?
4. What are the three main themes of "The Protocols of he Elders of Zion"?
5. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
6. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
7. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
8. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
9. Who are referred to as the "Men from Mars" in the title of Chapter Five and why? You do not have to name them.
10. What is nuclear physics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
Essay Topic 2
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various facilities involved with the Manhattan Project. Where are they located? Who operates them? What is their function? Are they all built at once?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)