|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
2. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
3. Where does John von Neumann go in 1930 when he leaves Germany?
4. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
5. Who gets Enrico Fermi a meeting with Admiral Hooper, the Undersecretary of the Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
2. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
3. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
4. Who suggests the existence of the neutron and who works with him to prove it?
5. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
6. What is "Silverplate"?
7. Who produces the first controlled nuclear fission reaction and where and when does it take place?
8. What is the German Kristallnacht?
9. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
10. What is Albert Einstein's role in the initial contact between the nuclear scientists and President Roosevelt?
Essay Topic 1
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Trinity and Silverplate. What are they? What is their role in the dropping of the atomic bombs? Who are the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the development of the atomic bomb in Britain, Germany and Tokyo. What ends the development?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)