|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rutherford suggest the existence of the neutron?
2. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
3. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
4. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
5. What does Bohr announce at a Washington conference in 1939?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
2. What is Bohr's relationship to the period table?
3. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
4. What is the Manhattan Project?
5. Who is Vannevar Bush and what is his initial opinion of chain-reaction experiments in 1939?
6. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
7. What is the Balfour Declaration?
8. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
9. What is "Silverplate"?
10. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Niels Bohr's analysis of the nuclear arms race to come. How does the existence of the atomic bomb change the world? What proposals does Bohr have?
Essay Topic 2
From the theoretical discussion of nuclear energy to the making of the atomic bomb is a relatively short period of time. Discuss what effect the wars have on this development. Would the bomb be developed as rapidly without the reality of the wars?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the opinions of Dwight Eisenhower and Curtis LeMay, two military leaders of the time, about the use of the atomic bomb. One is involved in the European war and the other in the Pacific war. Does this make a difference?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)