|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
2. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
3. In 1939, who is President of Carnegie Institute and is reluctant to invest in chain-reaction experiments?
4. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
5. Who confirms the existence of a neutron?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Szilard enrolls in the University of Berlin, the physics faculty includes three Nobel Laureates in physics. Who are two of these three and what is one scientific discovery they are famous for?
2. What is Bohr's relationship to the period table?
3. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
4. Who produces the first controlled nuclear fission reaction and where and when does it take place?
5. Is Rutherford's atom a merely theoretical construct?
6. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
7. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
8. What city does General Groves remove from the target list for the atomic bomb and why?
9. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
10. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the development of the atomic bomb in Britain, Germany and Tokyo. What ends the development?
Essay Topic 2
In the first part of the book, the author discusses the biographical background and scientific accomplishments of many international scientists. Choose three scientists from the following list. Give a brief biographical sketch of the scientist, including his nationality and where he makes the discovery. Then identify what his/her scientific accomplishment is and what its importance is to the making of the atom bomb. Becquerel & the Curies; J. J. Thomson; Planck; Einstein; Rutherford; Bohr; Moseley; Meitner & Chadwick; Heisenberg & SchrÃ¶dinger; and Chadwick
Essay Topic 3
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)