|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Mein Kempf"?
2. In the early 1900s, Budapest is the first European city to have what mode of transportation?
3. The title of this chapter comes from what philosopher's writings?
4. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
5. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Manhattan Project?
2. What is the topic for the seventh Solvay Conference in Brussels in 1933 and what is its relationship to George Gamow?
3. Why do the Jewish Hungarian scientists leave Hungary?
4. Who produces the first controlled nuclear fission reaction and where and when does it take place?
5. Why is the discovery of the neutron important?
6. What are "banzai charges"?
7. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
8. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
9. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
10. Who suggests the existence of the neutron and who works with him to prove it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the opinions of Dwight Eisenhower and Curtis LeMay, two military leaders of the time, about the use of the atomic bomb. One is involved in the European war and the other in the Pacific war. Does this make a difference?
Essay Topic 2
From the theoretical discussion of nuclear energy to the making of the atomic bomb is a relatively short period of time. Discuss what effect the wars have on this development. Would the bomb be developed as rapidly without the reality of the wars?
Essay Topic 3
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)