|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1910, Jews make up what percent of the Hungarian population?
2. Who is the Director of the London School of Economics in the 1930's?
3. When does Ernest Lawrence win the Nobel Prize in Physics for producing a working model of the cyclotron?
4. What is the rumor that circulates regarding the 20th century Hungarian Jewish scientists?
5. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
2. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
3. What is the response in the United States to the need of Jewish scientists to leave Germany and Europe?
4. What is Bohr's relationship to the period table?
5. What two scientists come to Berkeley in 1928-1929 and what do they develop?
6. Why is Hiroshima chosen to be the first target for the bomb?
7. Who suggests the existence of the neutron and who works with him to prove it?
8. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
9. What is the topic for the seventh Solvay Conference in Brussels in 1933 and what is its relationship to George Gamow?
10. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Trinity and Silverplate. What are they? What is their role in the dropping of the atomic bombs? Who are the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the development of the atomic bomb in Britain, Germany and Tokyo. What ends the development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various facilities involved with the Manhattan Project. Where are they located? Who operates them? What is their function? Are they all built at once?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)