|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
2. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
3. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
4. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
5. Who is Alexander Sachs?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
2. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
3. What is nuclear physics?
4. What is the "Pale of Settlement"?
5. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
6. What are the three main themes of "The Protocols of he Elders of Zion"?
7. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
8. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
9. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
10. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Japanese determination never to surrender. Give examples from the war in the Pacific. What role does this play in the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer's role in the making of the atomic bomb. Be sure to Include his scientific accomplishments and his role at Los Alamos. Is the bomb built without him?
Essay Topic 3
What leads to President Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb? Discuss the military, political and scientific considerations.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)