|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Queen Victoria of England's oldest grandson?
2. What does Max Planck discover?
3. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
4. Who is the Director of the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge after World War I?
5. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
2. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
3. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
4. What is the Balfour Declaration?
5. How does the first direct contact between nuclear physicists and the U.S. government occur?
6. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
7. What is Chaim Weizmann's discovery that helps the British war effort?
8. What project is code named Mike and where is it designed and tested?
9. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
10. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer's role in the making of the atomic bomb. Be sure to Include his scientific accomplishments and his role at Los Alamos. Is the bomb built without him?
Essay Topic 2
From the theoretical discussion of nuclear energy to the making of the atomic bomb is a relatively short period of time. Discuss what effect the wars have on this development. Would the bomb be developed as rapidly without the reality of the wars?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the United States government becomes involved in the atomic bomb. Discuss the roles of scientists and non-scientists, including Vannevar Bush, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Alexander Sachs, Lyman Briggs. What is the government's initial response? Does everyone in the government have the same attitude?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)