|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's patent applications in England?
2. Where does Bohr teach in 1916?
3. Where does Enrico Fermi and his team carry out his experiments?
4. What is the topic of Bohr's first published scientific paper?
5. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
2. What does Albert Einstein, who leaves Germany, want to do for displaced German scientists?
3. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
4. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
5. What is Chaim Weizmann's discovery that helps the British war effort?
6. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
7. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
8. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
9. What is Bohr's relationship to the period table?
10. Is Rutherford's atom a merely theoretical construct?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The American atomic bomb building project gets bogged down in bureaucracy. How does the program get jump started? Who are the major people involved? What ware the historical events involved? Is there support in the United States for the program?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
Essay Topic 3
The discovery of the neutron is considered the beginning of nuclear physics. Why? What role does this discovery have in the making of the atomic bomb? Is the bomb built without this discovery?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)