|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John von Neumann go in 1930 when he leaves Germany?
2. When does Bohr win the Nobel Prize in physics?
3. When does Rutherford announce that he splits the atom?
4. What is the topic of Bohr's first published scientific paper?
5. When World War I begins, Bohr moves from Denmark to where?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
2. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
3. What is Chaim Weizmann's discovery that helps the British war effort?
4. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
5. Why do the Jewish Hungarian scientists leave Hungary?
6. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
7. What is the MAUD committee?
8. What is the response in the United States to the need of Jewish scientists to leave Germany and Europe?
9. What is Albert Einstein's role in the initial contact between the nuclear scientists and President Roosevelt?
10. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
Essay Topic 2
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Potsdam Declaration. What is it? Who is involved? Given what is known at the time, is unconditional surrender the only choice? What is the Japanese response?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)