Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
2. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
3. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
4. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
5. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oppenheimer's "Los Alamos Primer"?
2. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
3. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
4. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
5. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
6. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
7. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
8. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
9. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
10. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
Essay Topic 1
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Japanese determination never to surrender. Give examples from the war in the Pacific. What role does this play in the use of the atomic bomb?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Niels Bohr's analysis of the nuclear arms race to come. How does the existence of the atomic bomb change the world? What proposals does Bohr have?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)