|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers that radium gives off a radioactive gas?
2. What does Max Planck discover?
3. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
4. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
5. What does Frisch call the division process of the nucleus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert Einstein's role in the initial contact between the nuclear scientists and President Roosevelt?
2. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
3. Who produces the first controlled nuclear fission reaction and where and when does it take place?
4. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
5. What is Oppenheimer's "Los Alamos Primer"?
6. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
7. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
8. What is the position of Wigler and Szilard with respect to sharing information with the Germans?
9. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
10. What are "banzai charges"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various facilities involved with the Manhattan Project. Where are they located? Who operates them? What is their function? Are they all built at once?
Essay Topic 2
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
Essay Topic 3
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)