|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
2. When does Robert Oppenheimer come to Berkeley?
3. When does Rutherford discover a radioactive gas emanating from thorium?
4. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
5. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
2. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
3. What project is code named Mike and where is it designed and tested?
4. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
5. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
6. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
7. What are the three main themes of "The Protocols of he Elders of Zion"?
8. Why is Mor Karman famous?
9. What is Albert Einstein's role in the initial contact between the nuclear scientists and President Roosevelt?
10. What is the German Kristallnacht?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the United States government becomes involved in the atomic bomb. Discuss the roles of scientists and non-scientists, including Vannevar Bush, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, Albert Einstein, Alexander Sachs, Lyman Briggs. What is the government's initial response? Does everyone in the government have the same attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the scientists involved with the making of the atomic bomb in the United States are refugees from Europe. Choose three of these refugee scientists. Discuss why they leave their homeland , how they arrive in the United States and what their role is in the making of the bomb.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer's role in the making of the atomic bomb. Be sure to Include his scientific accomplishments and his role at Los Alamos. Is the bomb built without him?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)