|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
2. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
3. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
4. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
5. What does "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" advocate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
2. What city does General Groves remove from the target list for the atomic bomb and why?
3. What is J.J. Thompson's contribution to physics?
4. What is the Balfour Declaration?
5. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
6. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
7. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
8. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
9. Is Rutherford's atom a merely theoretical construct?
10. Why is Mor Karman famous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the target cities for the bombs chosen? What are the considerations that go into their choice? Why are Hiroshima and Nagasaki the final two choices?
Essay Topic 2
The United States is developing two types of atomic bombs. Compare and contrast these bombs. What are their code names?
Essay Topic 3
What leads to President Truman's decision to use the atomic bomb? Discuss the military, political and scientific considerations.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)