|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title of this chapter comes from what philosopher's writings?
2. What gas do the Germans first introduce into the war at Ypres, contrary to the terms of the Hague Declaration of 1899?
3. When does the Third Reich promulgate its first anti-Jewish ordinance?
4. In the early 1900's, who do the Jewish commercial elite ally with, creating a large class of ennobled Jews?
5. What Russian-Jewish biochemist is later elected first president of Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Vannevar Bush and what is his initial opinion of chain-reaction experiments in 1939?
2. Why is the neutron important to nuclear physics?
3. What is the Manhattan Project?
4. What is nuclear physics?
5. What is J.J. Thompson's contribution to physics?
6. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
7. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
8. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
9. Why is Mor Karman famous?
10. Why is the discovery of the neutron important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the emotional effects of the creation of the atomic bomb on scientists? Does it effect all scientists the same way? Discuss specific scientists' response, including Leo Szilard and Robert Oppenheimer. In your answer discuss the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and its response.
Essay Topic 2
The American atomic bomb building project gets bogged down in bureaucracy. How does the program get jump started? Who are the major people involved? What ware the historical events involved? Is there support in the United States for the program?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer's role in the making of the atomic bomb. Be sure to Include his scientific accomplishments and his role at Los Alamos. Is the bomb built without him?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)