Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
2. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
3. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
4. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
5. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oppenheimer's "Los Alamos Primer"?
2. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
3. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
4. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
5. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
6. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
7. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
8. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
9. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
10. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Trinity and Silverplate. What are they? What is their role in the dropping of the atomic bombs? Who are the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various facilities involved with the Manhattan Project. Where are they located? Who operates them? What is their function? Are they all built at once?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer's role in the making of the atomic bomb. Be sure to Include his scientific accomplishments and his role at Los Alamos. Is the bomb built without him?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)