|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor that circulates regarding the 20th century Hungarian Jewish scientists?
(a) They are visitors from Mars.
(b) They are related.
(c) They are specially trained from birth.
(d) They are not all Hungarians.
2. What does Rolf Wideroe invent?
(a) A refrigerator that does not freeze.
(b) A matrix table for elements.
(c) An accelerator tube that causes high voltage problems.
(d) An accelerator tube that avoids high voltage problems.
3. Who reorganizes the Hungarian school system along German lines?
(a) Mor Karman.
(b) Eugene Wigner.
(c) Michael Polanyi.
(d) Von Neumann.
4. When are the Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes in Berlin dedicated?
5. Bohr sets out the order of elements on the periodic table based on what part of the atom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's second wife's name?
2. When does Rutherford announce that he splits the atom?
3. When does Rutherford suggest the existence of the neutron?
4. When does Rutherford discover a radioactive gas emanating from thorium?
5. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
2. What is nuclear physics?
3. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
4. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
5. Who suggests the existence of the neutron and who works with him to prove it?
6. How does the first direct contact between nuclear physicists and the U.S. government occur?
7. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
8. What is the topic for the seventh Solvay Conference in Brussels in 1933 and what is its relationship to George Gamow?
9. Why is the discovery of the neutron important?
10. What two scientists come to Berkeley in 1928-1929 and what do they develop?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)