|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's patent applications in England?
(c) Nuclear power production.
(d) Nuclear chain reaction.
2. What element does Enrico Fermi and his team begin to experiment with?
3. Where does John von Neumann go in 1930 when he leaves Germany?
4. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
(a) Lewis Strauss.
(b) Princeton Foundation.
(c) Neils Bohr.
(d) Nobel Foundation.
5. Where does Leo Szilard go from Berlin the day before the Nazis confiscate the rail system?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who envisions atoms as small billiard balls?
2. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
3. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
4. What is the topic of Bohr's first published scientific paper?
5. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
2. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
3. What city does General Groves remove from the target list for the atomic bomb and why?
4. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
5. What is the Manhattan Project?
6. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
7. Who produces the first controlled nuclear fission reaction and where and when does it take place?
8. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
9. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
10. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)