|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who heads the Academic Assistance Council in the 1930's?
(a) Ernest Rutherford.
(b) Niels Bohr.
(c) Kurt Mendelssohn.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
2. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
3. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
4. What does Frisch call the division process of the nucleus?
5. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
2. What Russian-Jewish biochemist is later elected first president of Israel?
3. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
4. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
5. Whose contributions to 20th century physics rank second only to Albert Einstein's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the neutron important to nuclear physics?
2. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
3. What is the Balfour Declaration?
4. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
5. How does the first direct contact between nuclear physicists and the U.S. government occur?
6. What is General Dwight Eisenhower's reaction to the dropping of the atomic bombs?
7. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
8. Is Rutherford's atom a merely theoretical construct?
9. What is Bohr's relationship to the period table?
10. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)