|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of planes does Germany use to bomb England?
(d) "Big Berthas".
2. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
(c) Heavy water.
3. What does Bohr announce at a Washington conference in 1939?
(a) His retirement.
(b) A neutron can split uranium.
(c) The existence of protons.
(d) The plans for an atomic bomb.
4. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
(a) April 30, 1932.
(b) January 30, 1933.
(c) December 10, 1932.
(d) December 8, 1931.
5. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
2. What religion is Enrico Fermi?
3. When World War I begins, Bohr moves from Denmark to where?
4. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
5. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hiroshima chosen to be the first target for the bomb?
2. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
3. What is Albert Einstein's role in the initial contact between the nuclear scientists and President Roosevelt?
4. In the mid 1930's, what scientist does Leo Szilard team up with and what is the subject of their experiments?
5. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
6. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
7. Where is the center for experimental physics after World War I?
8. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
9. What is the response in the United States to the need of Jewish scientists to leave Germany and Europe?
10. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)