|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Marie Curie die?
2. When are the Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes in Berlin dedicated?
3. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
4. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
5. Where does Enrico Fermi and his team carry out his experiments?
(a) In a classroom.
(b) At his house.
(c) In a laboratory.
(d) In a basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
2. When does Ernest Rutherford win the Nobel Prize in chemistry?
3. Who discovers X-rays?
4. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
5. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
2. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
3. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
4. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
5. In the mid 1930's, what scientist does Leo Szilard team up with and what is the subject of their experiments?
6. What is General Dwight Eisenhower's reaction to the dropping of the atomic bombs?
7. What is the "Pale of Settlement"?
8. What is the Manhattan Project?
9. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
10. What is "Silverplate"?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)