|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Enrico Fermi marry?
(a) Laura Capon.
(b) Maria Karenina.
(c) Anna Toble.
(d) Julian Carian.
2. Where does John von Neumann go in 1930 when he leaves Germany?
3. In 1939, who does Leo Szilard want to prevent from learning about nuclear fission?
(a) German physicists.
(b) Hungarian physicists.
(c) Lise Meitner.
(d) George Hans.
4. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
5. Where does Leo Szilard go from Berlin the day before the Nazis confiscate the rail system?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Third Reich promulgate its first anti-Jewish ordinance?
2. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
3. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
4. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
5. In 1939, who is President of Carnegie Institute and is reluctant to invest in chain-reaction experiments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Silverplate"?
2. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
3. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
4. What is Oppenheimer's "Los Alamos Primer"?
5. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
6. Who produces the first controlled nuclear fission reaction and where and when does it take place?
7. What patent does Leo Szilard apply for in 1934 and where?
8. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
9. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
10. What two scientists come to Berkeley in 1928-1929 and what do they develop?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)