|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under whom is the German fission research consolidated?
(a) Otto Hahn.
(b) The War Office.
(c) Hans Geiger.
(d) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute.
2. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
(a) J.P. Morgan.
(b) David Lloyd George.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Edmond de Rothchild.
3. Who reorganizes the Hungarian school system along German lines?
(a) Von Neumann.
(b) Michael Polanyi.
(c) Eugene Wigner.
(d) Mor Karman.
4. When is Albert Einstein's theory of relativity proven through studies during an eclipse of the sun?
5. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Niels Bohr.
(c) Ernest Rutherford.
(d) Harry Moseley.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Bohr win the Nobel Prize in physics?
2. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
3. What is the topic of Enrico Fermi's fundamental paper?
4. The title of this chapter comes from what philosopher's writings?
5. Whose contributions to 20th century physics rank second only to Albert Einstein's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
2. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
3. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
4. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
5. What is the "Pale of Settlement"?
6. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
7. What project is code named Mike and where is it designed and tested?
8. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
9. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
10. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)