|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From a student.
(b) From Leo Szilard.
(c) From the head of the faculty.
(d) From the Third Reich.
2. When does de Hevesy's entire family become ennobled?
3. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
(a) Write equations.
(b) Multiply six figure numbers in his head.
(c) Recite the periodic table.
(d) Read science books.
4. By 1920, Jews make up what percent of Hungary's financiers?
5. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
(a) Because they want to find better schooling.
(b) Because of family.
(c) Because of increasingly violent anti-Semitism.
(d) Because they want to go to Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
2. What is Theordor von Karman's area of study?
3. When is Albert Einstein's theory of relativity proven through studies during an eclipse of the sun?
4. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
5. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Silverplate"?
2. What is General Dwight Eisenhower's reaction to the dropping of the atomic bombs?
3. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
4. When Szilard enrolls in the University of Berlin, the physics faculty includes three Nobel Laureates in physics. Who are two of these three and what is one scientific discovery they are famous for?
5. In the mid 1930's, what scientist does Leo Szilard team up with and what is the subject of their experiments?
6. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
7. Why is the neutron important to nuclear physics?
8. What is Chaim Weizmann's discovery that helps the British war effort?
9. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
10. What two scientists come to Berkeley in 1928-1929 and what do they develop?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)