|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
2. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
(a) Robert Oppenheimer.
(b) James Chadwick.
(c) Ernest Lawrence.
(d) Rolf Wideroe.
3. What does J.J. Thompson discover?
(a) The electron.
(b) The atom.
(c) The neutron.
(d) The proton.
4. When does Ernest Rutherford win the Nobel Prize in chemistry?
5. When does Isador Isaac Rabi become a Nobel laureate in physics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What element does Enrico Fermi and his team begin to experiment with?
2. Where do Frisch's parents go to live after his father is released from concentration camp?
3. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
4. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
5. What is Theordor von Karman's area of study?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first direct contact between nuclear physicists and the U.S. government occur?
2. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
3. What is J.J. Thompson's contribution to physics?
4. Who are referred to as the "Men from Mars" in the title of Chapter Five and why? You do not have to name them.
5. What is General Dwight Eisenhower's reaction to the dropping of the atomic bombs?
6. When Szilard enrolls in the University of Berlin, the physics faculty includes three Nobel Laureates in physics. Who are two of these three and what is one scientific discovery they are famous for?
7. What is the "Pale of Settlement"?
8. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
9. Why is the discovery of the neutron important?
10. What city does General Groves remove from the target list for the atomic bomb and why?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)