|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
2. When are the Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes in Berlin dedicated?
3. Who is Queen Victoria of England's oldest grandson?
(a) George III.
(b) King Edward VII.
(c) Kaiser Wilhelm II.
(d) Prince Edward.
4. After finishing his Ph.D., where does Bohr start work?
(a) University of Copenhagan.
(b) University of Denmark.
(c) Cavendish Laboratory.
(d) Edinburgh Laboratory.
5. When World War I begins, Bohr moves from Denmark to where?
(b) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Enrico Fermi marry?
2. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
3. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
4. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
5. In 1873, what physicist says that atoms do not exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Szilard enrolls in the University of Berlin, the physics faculty includes three Nobel Laureates in physics. Who are two of these three and what is one scientific discovery they are famous for?
2. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
3. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
4. In 1939-1940, what does Robert Oppenheimer do that makes Robert Oppenheimer a true genius in the eyes of the author?
5. What are "banzai charges"?
6. What is the response in the United States to the need of Jewish scientists to leave Germany and Europe?
7. Why or how does Bohr get to Manchester?
8. What is J.J. Thompson's contribution to physics?
9. Why does Bohr win the 1922 Nobel prize?
10. Why is the neutron important to nuclear physics?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)