|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Russian-Jewish biochemist is later elected first president of Israel?
(a) Theodor von Penski.
(b) Eugene Wigner.
(c) Chaim Weizmann.
(d) George de Hevesy.
2. In the early 1900's, who do the Jewish commercial elite ally with, creating a large class of ennobled Jews?
(a) Other European commercial groups.
(b) Old Hungarian nobility.
(c) German nobility.
(d) Government bureaucracy.
3. When does Isador Isaac Rabi become a Nobel laureate in physics?
4. After finishing his Ph.D., where does Bohr start work?
(a) University of Copenhagan.
(b) University of Denmark.
(c) Edinburgh Laboratory.
(d) Cavendish Laboratory.
5. When is Albert Einstein's theory of relativity proven through studies during an eclipse of the sun?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
2. In 1910, Jews make up what percent of the Hungarian population?
3. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
4. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
5. Whose contributions to 20th century physics rank second only to Albert Einstein's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are "banzai charges"?
2. What is General Dwight Eisenhower's reaction to the dropping of the atomic bombs?
3. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
4. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
5. What is the Manhattan Project?
6. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
7. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
8. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
9. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
10. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)