Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
(a) Nuclear physics.
(c) Experimental physics.
(d) Quantum mechanics.
2. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 100 feet.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 100 yards.
3. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
(a) Quantum mechanics.
(b) The relativity theory.
(c) The uncertainty principle.
4. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From the Third Reich.
(b) From the head of the faculty.
(c) From Leo Szilard.
(d) From a student.
5. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is particle acceleration developed?
2. When does Robert Oppenheimer come to Berkeley?
3. Who teaches Bohr about radiochemistry?
4. Where does John von Neumann go in 1930 when he leaves Germany?
5. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oppenheimer's "Los Alamos Primer"?
2. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
3. What ends Germany's race to build the atomic bomb?
4. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
5. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
6. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
7. What happens to the Nobel Prize medals that Max Von Laue and James Franck had given Niels Bohr for safekeeping?
8. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
9. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
10. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)