|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
2. Who confirms the existence of a neutron?
(a) Fyodor Vinbert.
(b) Max von Laue.
(c) James Chadwick.
(d) Ernest Lawrence.
3. What is the topic of Bohr's first published scientific paper?
(a) The atom.
(b) The surface tension of water.
4. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
(b) Cloud chamber.
(c) Bubble chamber.
(d) Accelerator tube.
5. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
(a) Nuclear physics.
(b) Experimental physics.
(c) Quantum mechanics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alexander Sachs?
2. When does Isador Isaac Rabi become a Nobel laureate in physics?
3. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
4. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
5. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three main themes of "The Protocols of he Elders of Zion"?
2. What does Albert Einstein, who leaves Germany, want to do for displaced German scientists?
3. What patent does Leo Szilard apply for in 1934 and where?
4. In working on the problems with Rutherford's model of the atom, Bohr uses the works of two other scientists. Who are these two scientists?
5. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
6. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
7. What is the position of Wigler and Szilard with respect to sharing information with the Germans?
8. What is "Silverplate"?
9. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
10. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)