|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor that circulates regarding the 20th century Hungarian Jewish scientists?
(a) They are not all Hungarians.
(b) They are specially trained from birth.
(c) They are related.
(d) They are visitors from Mars.
2. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
(a) Recite the periodic table.
(b) Multiply six figure numbers in his head.
(c) Write equations.
(d) Read science books.
3. What two scientists are known to work together on gas warfare in German-occupied Brussels?
(a) Hahn and Haber.
(b) Haber and Meitner.
(c) Darwin and Meitner.
(d) Hahn and Darwin.
4. In 1873, what physicist says that atoms do not exist?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) James Maxwell.
(c) James Chadwick.
(d) Fyodor Vinbert.
5. Who heads the Academic Assistance Council in the 1930's?
(a) Kurt Mendelssohn.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) John Maynard Keynes.
(d) Niels Bohr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
2. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
3. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
4. Where does Leo Szilard study engineering?
5. When is Albert Einstein's theory of relativity proven through studies during an eclipse of the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What patent does Leo Szilard apply for in 1934 and where?
2. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
3. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
4. What is the German Kristallnacht?
5. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
6. Why is the neutron important to nuclear physics?
7. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
8. What is "Silverplate"?
9. What is Trinity, who selects the name and why?
10. What is the Manhattan Project?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)