|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
2. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
(a) Ernest Lawrence.
(b) Patrick Blacket.
(c) Lisa Meitner.
(d) T.A. Chalmers.
3. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
4. What does Max Planck discover?
(a) The neutron.
(b) The atom.
(c) Home refrigeration theory.
(d) A universal constant.
5. Who recruits Bohr for research in in radioactivity in Manchester?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Albert Teller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
2. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
3. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
4. In 1939, who does Leo Szilard want to prevent from learning about nuclear fission?
5. Whose contributions to 20th century physics rank second only to Albert Einstein's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are referred to as the "Men from Mars" in the title of Chapter Five and why? You do not have to name them.
2. Why is the neutron important to nuclear physics?
3. Why is Mor Karman famous?
4. What are "banzai charges"?
5. Why do the Jewish Hungarian scientists leave Hungary?
6. In the mid 1930's, what scientist does Leo Szilard team up with and what is the subject of their experiments?
7. Under what circumstances is teflon developed?
8. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
9. What is Chaim Weizmann's discovery that helps the British war effort?
10. What is the response in the United States to the need of Jewish scientists to leave Germany and Europe?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)