|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
(a) J.J. Thompson.
(b) Hans Gieger.
(c) John von Neumann.
(d) Edward Teller.
2. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
(a) Rolf Wideroe.
(b) Robert Oppenheimer.
(c) James Chadwick.
(d) Ernest Lawrence.
3. Bohr sets out the order of elements on the periodic table based on what part of the atom?
4. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
5. Who reorganizes the Hungarian school system along German lines?
(a) Von Neumann.
(b) Michael Polanyi.
(c) Mor Karman.
(d) Eugene Wigner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of Enrico Fermi's fundamental paper?
2. Who is Queen Victoria of England's oldest grandson?
3. What does J.J. Thompson discover?
4. When does Rutherford suggest the existence of the neutron?
5. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does President Roosevelt authenticate his decision to expedite the research of the atomic bomb?
2. What is the MAUD committee?
3. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
4. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
5. Why do the Jewish Hungarian scientists leave Hungary?
6. President Roosevelt wants policy considerations regarding the making of the atomic bomb limited to the "Top Policy Group". Who is in this group and who is excluded?
7. Why does Lise Meitner leave Austria and go to Copenhagen?
8. What instrument does Rutherford and Hans Gieger work on together and why?
9. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
10. What are "banzai charges"?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)