|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What element does Enrico Fermi and his team begin to experiment with?
2. What is Theordor von Karman's area of study?
(a) Experimental physics.
(b) Aeronautical physics.
(c) Theoretical physics.
(d) Quantum mechanics.
3. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
(a) Ernest Lawrence.
(b) Patrick Blacket.
(c) Lisa Meitner.
(d) T.A. Chalmers.
4. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
5. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
2. Who envisions atoms as small billiard balls?
3. When does Ernest Rutherford win the Nobel Prize in chemistry?
4. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
5. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who suggests the existence of the neutron and who works with him to prove it?
2. Why does the Fermi family have to leave Italy?
3. What is the attitude of German physicists to Albert Einstein around 1919?
4. What is the Joliot-Curies discovery that contributes to the scientific knowledge about radioactivity?
5. After the dropping of the bomb, who are the members of the Interim Committee Scientific Panel and what do they advocate? Are they successful?
6. What is the position of Wigler and Szilard with respect to sharing information with the Germans?
7. What is "Silverplate"?
8. Who is Vannevar Bush and what is his initial opinion of chain-reaction experiments in 1939?
9. What does Albert Einstein, who leaves Germany, want to do for displaced German scientists?
10. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)