|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Einstein's second wife's name?
2. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
(a) Nobel Foundation.
(b) Neils Bohr.
(c) Princeton Foundation.
(d) Lewis Strauss.
3. When does Bohr win the Nobel Prize in physics?
4. Who discovers that radium gives off a radioactive gas?
(a) Ernest Rutherford.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Wilhelm Roentgen.
(d) Marie and Pierre Curie.
5. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
(a) He is a child prodigy violinist.
(b) He is a child prodigy mathematician.
(c) He discovers uranium.
(d) He writes a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alexander Sachs?
2. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
3. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
4. When does de Hevesy's entire family become ennobled?
5. What is the specific topic of Bohr's controversial paper in 1913?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first direct contact between nuclear physicists and the U.S. government occur?
2. What project is code named Mike and where is it designed and tested?
3. Who is Fritz Haber and how does his wife die?
4. What is the topic for the seventh Solvay Conference in Brussels in 1933 and what is its relationship to George Gamow?
5. What is Bohr's relationship to the period table?
6. What is "Silverplate"?
7. How does the Little Boy, minus uranium target pieces, arrive on Tinian?
8. What is the Balfour Declaration?
9. What is the difference between the atomic model of classical physics and Rutherford's model?
10. Is Rutherford's atom a merely theoretical construct?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)