|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two scientists are known to work together on gas warfare in German-occupied Brussels?
(a) Hahn and Darwin.
(b) Haber and Meitner.
(c) Hahn and Haber.
(d) Darwin and Meitner.
2. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
(a) Edward Teller.
(b) Eugene Wigner.
(c) Niels Bohr.
(d) Hans Gieger.
3. When does Isador Isaac Rabi become a Nobel laureate in physics?
4. When does the Third Reich promulgate its first anti-Jewish ordinance?
(a) April, 1933.
(b) January, 1933.
(c) September, 1933.
(d) June, 1933.
5. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
(c) The nuclear chain reaction.
(d) The structure of the proton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
2. When does World War II begin?
3. When does Rutherford announce that he splits the atom?
4. Who discovers that radium gives off a radioactive gas?
5. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the character of Budapest in the early 1900's?
2. How does Bohr's memorandum regarding the nuclear arms race to come and the post nuclear war get to President Roosevelt?
3. How does the first direct contact between nuclear physicists and the U.S. government occur?
4. What is the position of Wigler and Szilard with respect to sharing information with the Germans?
5. Is Rutherford's atom a merely theoretical construct?
6. What are the three main themes of "The Protocols of he Elders of Zion"?
7. What does Albert Einstein, who leaves Germany, want to do for displaced German scientists?
8. Why is Hiroshima chosen to be the first target for the bomb?
9. What are the devices known as "windows" that give British bombers an advantage?
10. What is a cyclotron, who patents it, and who produces the first working model?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)