|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(a) Test pilot.
(b) Designer of the plutonium gun.
(c) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
2. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(b) Los Alamos.
(c) Oak Ridge.
3. To what does the nickname Dogpatch refer?
(a) Los Alamos.
(c) Oak Ridge facility.
(d) Hanford facility.
4. Where does the first full-scale self-sustained nuclear chain reaction occur?
(c) Los Alamos.
5. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) President Truman.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Douglas MacArthur.
(d) George Marshall.
6. Who writes "Twentieth Century Book of the Dead"?
(a) Gil Elliot.
(b) Norman Scott.
(d) Richard Rhodes.
7. Where is the home base for the Air Force group that is training for the delivery of the atomic bombs?
(c) New Mexico.
8. What is the name of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
(b) Enola Gay.
(c) Little Boy.
9. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
(a) Curtis LeMay.
(b) President Truman.
(c) Paul W. Tibbets.
(d) Douglas MacArthur.
10. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
(a) Orange Pumpkin.
(b) Fat Man.
(c) Bock's Car.
(d) Number Two.
11. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
12. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
(a) Washington, DC.
(d) New Mexico.
13. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
14. What does Oppenheimer and a group of scientists name the "Super"?
(a) The anticipated hydrogen bomb.
(b) The megatron accelerator.
(c) The new cyclotron.
(d) The anticipated atomic bomb.
15. When does the U.S. Uranium Committee meet to reorganize work on the atomic bomb?
(a) November 30, 1941.
(b) December 6, 1941.
(c) November 6, 1941.
(d) December 7, 1941.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Site X located?
2. Who is assigned to find the Trinity test site?
3. Who is the Chief of Security for Groves?
4. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
5. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)