|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
2. What is Operation Barbarossa?
(a) A secret Norwegian project to build the atomic bomb.
(b) A secret Russian physics laboratory.
(c) England's plans to invade Germany.
(d) Germany's invasion of Russia.
3. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Marshall Islands.
(b) Nevada desert.
(c) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(d) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
4. What is the NDRC?
(a) The Nordic Data Review Committee.
(b) The National Defense Review Committee.
(c) The National Defense Research Council.
(d) The Nuclear Department of Research and Concern.
5. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
(a) Fat Man.
(b) Bock's Car.
(c) Number Two.
(d) Orange Pumpkin.
6. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(b) Test pilot.
(c) Designer of the plutonium gun.
(d) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
7. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Ten years.
8. Who directs the physics department at the University of Birmingham, England, in 1939?
(a) Mark Oliphant.
(b) Henry Tizard.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Otto Frisch.
9. When does Russia begin work on its atomic bomb project?
10. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
(c) Atomic bomb.
11. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
(a) February 1942.
(b) September 1944.
(c) January 1944.
(d) June 1943.
12. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(b) Oak Ridge.
(d) Los Alamos.
13. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
14. When does President Roosevelt die?
(a) April 10, 1945.
(b) March 30, 1945.
(c) April 12, 1945.
(d) April 1, 1945.
15. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What company provides contracted employees to operate the Oak Ridge facility?
2. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
3. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
4. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
5. Who is assigned to find the Trinity test site?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)