|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
(a) Lab books.
(c) His experimetnal data.
(d) Grand piano.
2. Who says, "Welcome to Los Alamos, and who the devil are you?"
3. Who wi the pilot of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
4. Who drafts the historic directive releasing the atomic bomb for use?
5. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) A physicist.
(b) An Army General in the Pacific.
(c) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
(d) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
6. Where is Site X located?
(a) New Mexico.
7. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(a) The hydrogen bomb.
(b) A mass spectrometer.
(c) The atomic bomb.
8. To what does the nickname Dogpatch refer?
(a) Los Alamos.
(b) Hanford facility.
(c) Oak Ridge facility.
9. When does Russia begin work on its atomic bomb project?
10. Where does Operation Forager take place?
(b) The Pacific.
(d) United States.
11. When does President Roosevelt die?
(a) April 12, 1945.
(b) March 30, 1945.
(c) April 1, 1945.
(d) April 10, 1945.
12. Where does the first full-scale self-sustained nuclear chain reaction occur?
(c) Los Alamos.
13. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
(a) February 1950.
(b) January 1948.
(c) March 1955.
(d) December 1945.
14. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
(a) November 1943.
(b) June 1943.
(c) January 1943.
(d) January 1944.
15. Who replaces Oppenheimer as director at Los Alamos?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
2. When does the first B-29 arrive in the Marianas on Saipan?
3. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
4. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
5. Where is the home base for the Air Force group that is training for the delivery of the atomic bombs?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)