|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who directs the physics department at the University of Birmingham, England, in 1939?
(a) Mark Oliphant.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Henry Tizard.
(d) Otto Frisch.
2. When does the U.S. Uranium Committee meet to reorganize work on the atomic bomb?
(a) November 6, 1941.
(b) November 30, 1941.
(c) December 7, 1941.
(d) December 6, 1941.
3. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
4. Who is the chairman of the British Uranium Committee in the early 1940's?
(a) Niels Bohr.
(b) James Conant.
(c) Henry Tizard.
(d) Mark Oliphant.
5. When does the first B-29 arrive in the Marianas on Saipan?
(a) October 1944.
(b) June 1944.
(c) February 1945.
(d) December 1944.
6. What English innovation does the author consider to be the most valuable in the war?
(b) Heavy water.
(c) Cavity magnetron.
(d) Particle accelerator.
7. Who writes "Twentieth Century Book of the Dead"?
(a) Norman Scott.
(c) Gil Elliot.
(d) Richard Rhodes.
8. Where is Site X located?
(c) New Mexico.
9. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
10. Who comes up with the technical term "pile" or atomic pile?
11. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
12. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
(a) Lab books.
(b) His experimetnal data.
(c) Grand piano.
13. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
(a) May 20, 1945.
(b) Mary 7, 1945.
(c) April 30, 1945.
(d) May 1, 1945.
14. Who wi the pilot of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
15. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
2. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
3. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
4. When do the Germans surrender at Stalingrad?
5. Where is the Trinity test site?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)