|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
(b) An Army General in the Pacific.
(c) A physicist.
(d) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
2. Who is the Chief of Security for Groves?
(a) John Landsdale.
(b) Howard von Alben.
(c) Edward Jacobs.
(d) John Robinson.
3. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(c) Oak Ridge.
(d) Los Alamos.
4. Where does the crew who is training for delivering of the atomic bomb go for training with radar and flying over water?
(c) Marshall Islands.
5. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Leo Sziland.
(c) Robert Oppenheimer.
(d) Enrico Fermi.
6. What is Alsos?
(a) The American League Sons of Soldiers.
(b) A security unit established by Groves.
(c) A nickname for Los Alamos.
(d) The American League for Southern Officers.
7. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
(a) President Truman.
(b) Douglas MacArthur.
(c) Paul W. Tibbets.
(d) Curtis LeMay.
8. Who says, "Welcome to Los Alamos, and who the devil are you?"
9. Who comes up with the technical term "pile" or atomic pile?
10. In 1939, where is the only heavy water plant located?
(d) United States.
11. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
12. Who is Tokutaro Hagiwara?
(a) A Japanese physicist.
(b) An American nuclear physicist.
(c) A Japanese diplomat.
(d) A British physicist.
13. What is the NDRC?
(a) The Nordic Data Review Committee.
(b) The Nuclear Department of Research and Concern.
(c) The National Defense Review Committee.
(d) The National Defense Research Council.
14. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(a) Test pilot.
(c) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
(d) Designer of the plutonium gun.
15. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) Douglas MacArthur.
(b) George Marshall.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) President Truman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
2. Who directs the physics department at the University of Birmingham, England, in 1939?
3. In what state is the Hanford facility located?
4. Where does Operation Forager take place?
5. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)