|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
2. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(a) Designer of the plutonium gun.
(b) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
(d) Test pilot.
3. Who writes "Twentieth Century Book of the Dead"?
(b) Gil Elliot.
(c) Richard Rhodes.
(d) Norman Scott.
4. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
5. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
6. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
(a) September 1944.
(b) February 1942.
(c) June 1943.
(d) January 1944.
7. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
(a) Leo Sziland.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Enrico Fermi.
(d) Robert Oppenheimer.
8. Who comes up with the technical term "pile" or atomic pile?
9. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
10. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(a) Los Alamos.
(d) Oak Ridge.
11. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
(a) Fat Man.
(b) Number Two.
(c) Orange Pumpkin.
(d) Bock's Car.
12. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
(a) Douglas MacArthur.
(b) President Truman.
(c) Paul W. Tibbets.
(d) Curtis LeMay.
13. What is Operation Barbarossa?
(a) England's plans to invade Germany.
(b) Germany's invasion of Russia.
(c) A secret Norwegian project to build the atomic bomb.
(d) A secret Russian physics laboratory.
14. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
15. In 1939, where is the only heavy water plant located?
(a) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does President Roosevelt die?
2. Who is assigned to find the Trinity test site?
3. Who replaces Oppenheimer as director at Los Alamos?
4. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
5. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)