|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Secretary of War in 1942?
2. Where does the first full-scale self-sustained nuclear chain reaction occur?
(d) Los Alamos.
3. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
(a) January 1943.
(b) January 1944.
(c) June 1943.
(d) November 1943.
4. Who drafts the historic directive releasing the atomic bomb for use?
5. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
(a) Paul W. Tibbets.
(b) President Truman.
(c) Curtis LeMay.
(d) Douglas MacArthur.
6. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
(c) Atomic bomb.
7. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(a) The hydrogen bomb.
(b) The atomic bomb.
(c) A mass spectrometer.
8. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(b) Nevada desert.
(c) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
(d) Marshall Islands.
9. Who is the Chief of Security for Groves?
(a) John Landsdale.
(b) John Robinson.
(c) Edward Jacobs.
(d) Howard von Alben.
10. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(b) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
(c) Designer of the plutonium gun.
(d) Test pilot.
11. When do the Germans invade Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg?
(a) May, 1940.
(b) January, 1939.
(c) February, 1940.
(d) June, 1939.
12. Who replaces Oppenheimer as director at Los Alamos?
13. When does President Roosevelt die?
(a) April 12, 1945.
(b) March 30, 1945.
(c) April 1, 1945.
(d) April 10, 1945.
14. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
15. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the U.S. Uranium Committee meet to reorganize work on the atomic bomb?
2. What is the NDRC?
3. Where does Operation Forager take place?
4. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
5. When do the Germans surrender at Stalingrad?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)