|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
2. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
(a) June 1943.
(b) September 1944.
(c) January 1944.
(d) February 1942.
3. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
4. Where is Site X located?
(a) New Mexico.
5. Who directs the physics department at the University of Birmingham, England, in 1939?
(a) Otto Frisch.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Mark Oliphant.
(d) Henry Tizard.
6. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
(a) New Mexico.
(c) Washington, DC.
7. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
8. Who is the first American scientist of administrative rank to visit Britain in 1941?
(a) Lyman Briggs.
(b) James Conant.
(c) Ernest Lawrence.
(d) Kenneth Bainbridge.
9. Who wi the pilot of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
10. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) An Army General in the Pacific.
(b) A physicist.
(c) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
(d) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
11. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(a) Oak Ridge.
(b) Los Alamos.
12. When does President Roosevelt die?
(a) April 1, 1945.
(b) April 12, 1945.
(c) March 30, 1945.
(d) April 10, 1945.
13. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
(a) Atomic bomb.
14. In 1939, where is the only heavy water plant located?
(d) United States.
15. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Nevada desert.
(b) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
(c) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(d) Marshall Islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Russia begin work on its atomic bomb project?
2. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
3. When do the Germans invade Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg?
4. What company provides contracted employees to operate the Oak Ridge facility?
5. What is the NDRC?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)