|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
(a) May 20, 1945.
(b) April 30, 1945.
(c) Mary 7, 1945.
(d) May 1, 1945.
2. What is Alsos?
(a) The American League for Southern Officers.
(b) A nickname for Los Alamos.
(c) A security unit established by Groves.
(d) The American League Sons of Soldiers.
3. When does the U.S. Uranium Committee meet to reorganize work on the atomic bomb?
(a) November 6, 1941.
(b) December 6, 1941.
(c) December 7, 1941.
(d) November 30, 1941.
4. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
(a) March 1955.
(b) February 1950.
(c) January 1948.
(d) December 1945.
5. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
6. What is the NDRC?
(a) The National Defense Review Committee.
(b) The National Defense Research Council.
(c) The Nordic Data Review Committee.
(d) The Nuclear Department of Research and Concern.
7. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
(a) Washington, DC.
(c) New Mexico.
8. Who is the first American scientist of administrative rank to visit Britain in 1941?
(a) Kenneth Bainbridge.
(b) Lyman Briggs.
(c) James Conant.
(d) Ernest Lawrence.
9. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
10. When does President Roosevelt die?
(a) March 30, 1945.
(b) April 1, 1945.
(c) April 12, 1945.
(d) April 10, 1945.
11. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(b) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
(c) Marshall Islands.
(d) Nevada desert.
12. Who says, "I'll tell you what war is about. You've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough, they stop fighting."
(a) Curtis LeMay.
(b) President Truman.
(c) Paul W. Tibbets.
(d) Douglas MacArthur.
13. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(b) The atomic bomb.
(c) A mass spectrometer.
(d) The hydrogen bomb.
14. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(a) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
(b) Test pilot.
(d) Designer of the plutonium gun.
15. Who says, "Welcome to Los Alamos, and who the devil are you?"
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Russia begin work on its atomic bomb project?
2. After the dropping of the bombs, Leo Szilard leaves nuclear physics and goes into what field of study?
3. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
4. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
5. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)