|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
(a) January 1943.
(b) January 1944.
(c) November 1943.
(d) June 1943.
2. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
(b) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(c) Marshall Islands.
(d) Nevada desert.
3. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
4. What is the name of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
(b) Enola Gay.
(c) Little Boy.
5. What is Operation Barbarossa?
(a) England's plans to invade Germany.
(b) Germany's invasion of Russia.
(c) A secret Russian physics laboratory.
(d) A secret Norwegian project to build the atomic bomb.
6. When does President Roosevelt die?
(a) April 1, 1945.
(b) April 12, 1945.
(c) March 30, 1945.
(d) April 10, 1945.
7. To what does the nickname Dogpatch refer?
(a) Oak Ridge facility.
(c) Hanford facility.
(d) Los Alamos.
8. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
(a) Robert Oppenheimer.
(b) Enrico Fermi.
(c) Leo Sziland.
(d) Albert Einstein.
9. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
(a) May 20, 1945.
(b) April 30, 1945.
(c) May 1, 1945.
(d) Mary 7, 1945.
10. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
(c) Atomic bomb.
11. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
12. When does the U.S. Uranium Committee meet to reorganize work on the atomic bomb?
(a) December 6, 1941.
(b) November 30, 1941.
(c) November 6, 1941.
(d) December 7, 1941.
13. Who comes up with the technical term "pile" or atomic pile?
14. Who is the chairman of the British Uranium Committee in the early 1940's?
(a) Mark Oliphant.
(b) Henry Tizard.
(c) James Conant.
(d) Niels Bohr.
15. Who is assigned to find the Trinity test site?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
2. Who says, "Welcome to Los Alamos, and who the devil are you?"
3. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
4. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
5. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)