|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the first full-scale self-sustained nuclear chain reaction occur?
(d) Los Alamos.
2. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
(c) Washington, DC.
(d) New Mexico.
3. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
4. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
(b) A physicist.
(c) An Army General in the Pacific.
(d) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
5. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
(a) January 1944.
(b) February 1942.
(c) September 1944.
(d) June 1943.
6. Who drafts the historic directive releasing the atomic bomb for use?
7. Who wi the pilot of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
8. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
(a) His experimetnal data.
(b) Grand piano.
(d) Lab books.
9. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) Douglas MacArthur.
(b) President Truman.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) George Marshall.
10. When is the explosion of the first Russian atomic bomb?
11. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
(a) Enrico Fermi.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Robert Oppenheimer.
(d) Leo Sziland.
12. Who comes up with the technical term "pile" or atomic pile?
13. When does Klaus Fuchs come to Los Alamos?
14. When do the Germans surrender at Stalingrad?
15. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
(a) Fat Man.
(b) Number Two.
(c) Orange Pumpkin.
(d) Bock's Car.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
2. When does Niels Bohr escape from Stockholm to Scotland?
3. In the 1940's, the Japanese scientists researching nuclear power for propulsion switch their research to what field?
4. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
5. When is pure plutonium extracted for the first time?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)