|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
(b) An Army General in the Pacific.
(c) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
(d) A physicist.
2. What does Oppenheimer and a group of scientists name the "Super"?
(a) The megatron accelerator.
(b) The anticipated atomic bomb.
(c) The new cyclotron.
(d) The anticipated hydrogen bomb.
3. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(a) The atomic bomb.
(b) The hydrogen bomb.
(d) A mass spectrometer.
4. What is Alsos?
(a) A nickname for Los Alamos.
(b) The American League for Southern Officers.
(c) The American League Sons of Soldiers.
(d) A security unit established by Groves.
5. Who is the Chief of Security for Groves?
(a) John Landsdale.
(b) Edward Jacobs.
(c) John Robinson.
(d) Howard von Alben.
6. When does the first B-29 arrive in the Marianas on Saipan?
(a) June 1944.
(b) February 1945.
(c) December 1944.
(d) October 1944.
7. In what state is the Hanford facility located?
(c) New Mexico.
8. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(a) Los Alamos.
(c) Oak Ridge.
9. What indispensable item does Teller and his wife bring to Los Alamos?
(a) Lab books.
(b) Grand piano.
(d) His experimetnal data.
10. In 1939, where is the only heavy water plant located?
(a) United States.
11. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(a) Designer of the plutonium gun.
(c) Test pilot.
(d) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
12. Who replaces Oppenheimer as director at Los Alamos?
13. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Nevada desert.
(b) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(c) Marshall Islands.
(d) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
14. To what does the nickname Dogpatch refer?
(a) Oak Ridge facility.
(b) Hanford facility.
(d) Los Alamos.
15. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
(a) January 1944.
(b) January 1943.
(c) June 1943.
(d) November 1943.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wi the pilot of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
2. What is the name of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
3. Where does the crew who is training for delivering of the atomic bomb go for training with radar and flying over water?
4. When does Russia begin work on its atomic bomb project?
5. When do the Germans announce Hitler's suicide?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)