|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Operation Barbarossa?
(a) Germany's invasion of Russia.
(b) A secret Russian physics laboratory.
(c) A secret Norwegian project to build the atomic bomb.
(d) England's plans to invade Germany.
2. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) A physicist.
(b) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
(c) An Army General in the Pacific.
(d) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
3. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
(a) Bock's Car.
(b) Orange Pumpkin.
(c) Fat Man.
(d) Number Two.
4. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
5. When do the Germans invade Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg?
(a) June, 1939.
(b) May, 1940.
(c) February, 1940.
(d) January, 1939.
6. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
7. Who wi the pilot of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
8. Who drafts the historic directive releasing the atomic bomb for use?
9. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
(a) Enrico Fermi.
(b) Leo Sziland.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Robert Oppenheimer.
10. Where does the crew who is training for delivering of the atomic bomb go for training with radar and flying over water?
(a) Marshall Islands.
11. Who is assigned to find the Trinity test site?
12. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) George Marshall.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) President Truman.
(d) Douglas MacArthur.
13. Where is Site X located?
(c) New Mexico.
14. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
(c) Washington, DC.
(d) New Mexico.
15. Who is the Secretary of War in 1942?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Welcome to Los Alamos, and who the devil are you?"
2. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
3. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
4. Who is the first American scientist of administrative rank to visit Britain in 1941?
5. What company provides contracted employees to operate the Oak Ridge facility?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)