|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the pilot of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
2. What is the name of the plane that drops the second atomic bomb?
(a) Orange Pumpkin.
(b) Fat Man.
(c) Number Two.
(d) Bock's Car.
3. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
4. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(b) Designer of the plutonium gun.
(c) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
(d) Test pilot.
5. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
(a) January 1944.
(b) February 1942.
(c) June 1943.
(d) September 1944.
6. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(a) The atomic bomb.
(b) A mass spectrometer.
(d) The hydrogen bomb.
7. To what does the nickname Dogpatch refer?
(a) Hanford facility.
(b) Oak Ridge facility.
(d) Los Alamos.
8. Who drafts the historic directive releasing the atomic bomb for use?
9. Where does Emilio Segre conduct his experiments on the rate of fission in uranium and plutonium?
(a) Los Alamos.
(c) Oak Ridge.
10. Where is the Trinity test site?
(a) Alamogordo, New Mexico.
(b) Marshall Islands.
(c) Nevada desert.
(d) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
11. When do the Germans surrender at Stalingrad?
12. Who replaces Oppenheimer as director at Los Alamos?
13. Who is Averell Harriman?
(a) An Army General in the Pacific.
(b) U.S. representative to the United Nations.
(c) A physicist.
(d) U.S. Ambassador to Moscow.
14. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) George Marshall.
(c) President Truman.
(d) Douglas MacArthur.
15. Who destroys the Norwegian heavy-water installation in February 1943?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
2. What is the primary target for the second atomic bomb?
3. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
4. Where does Operation Forager take place?
5. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)