|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) George Marshall.
(b) President Truman.
(c) Douglas MacArthur.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
2. When do the Germans surrender at Stalingrad?
3. Who is the first American scientist of administrative rank to visit Britain in 1941?
(a) Kenneth Bainbridge.
(b) Lyman Briggs.
(c) Ernest Lawrence.
(d) James Conant.
4. Who is the Chief of Security for Groves?
(a) Howard von Alben.
(b) John Robinson.
(c) Edward Jacobs.
(d) John Landsdale.
5. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(a) The hydrogen bomb.
(b) A mass spectrometer.
(c) The atomic bomb.
6. Who is Tokutaro Hagiwara?
(a) A British physicist.
(b) An American nuclear physicist.
(c) A Japanese physicist.
(d) A Japanese diplomat.
7. What is Operation Barbarossa?
(a) England's plans to invade Germany.
(b) A secret Norwegian project to build the atomic bomb.
(c) A secret Russian physics laboratory.
(d) Germany's invasion of Russia.
8. What is the name of the plane that drops the first atomic bomb?
(c) Enola Gay.
(d) Little Boy.
9. When does the U.S. learn that Klaus Fuchs is a Russian spy?
(a) December 1945.
(b) February 1950.
(c) March 1955.
(d) January 1948.
10. When does Oppenheimer and his aides move to New Mexico?
11. What is Alsos?
(a) The American League Sons of Soldiers.
(b) The American League for Southern Officers.
(c) A security unit established by Groves.
(d) A nickname for Los Alamos.
12. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Enrico Fermi.
(c) Leo Sziland.
(d) Robert Oppenheimer.
13. When does the first B-29 arrive in the Marianas on Saipan?
(a) October 1944.
(b) February 1945.
(c) December 1944.
(d) June 1944.
14. In 1939, where is the only heavy water plant located?
(c) United States.
15. Where is the home base for the Air Force group that is training for the delivery of the atomic bombs?
(c) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is the Hanford facility located?
2. When do the Germans invade Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg?
3. Where does the first full-scale self-sustained nuclear chain reaction occur?
4. Where is the Trinity test site?
5. The day after Nagasaki is bombed, where does Ernest Lawrence go?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)