|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1939, who does Leo Szilard want to prevent from learning about nuclear fission?
(a) Hungarian physicists.
(b) George Hans.
(c) German physicists.
(d) Lise Meitner.
2. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
(a) Nuclear physics.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(d) Experimental physics.
3. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
4. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
5. When does Bohr win the Nobel Prize in physics?
6. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From the Third Reich.
(b) From a student.
(c) From Leo Szilard.
(d) From the head of the faculty.
7. Who confirms the existence of a neutron?
(a) Max von Laue.
(b) Fyodor Vinbert.
(c) Ernest Lawrence.
(d) James Chadwick.
8. What is the rumor that circulates regarding the 20th century Hungarian Jewish scientists?
(a) They are specially trained from birth.
(b) They are related.
(c) They are visitors from Mars.
(d) They are not all Hungarians.
9. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
10. When does de Hevesy's entire family become ennobled?
11. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
(a) Hans Gieger.
(b) Eugene Wigner.
(c) Edward Teller.
(d) Niels Bohr.
12. Where does Leo Szilard study engineering?
13. In the 1930's, where do Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, and Fritz Strassman work when they are trying to sort out the elements created by neutron bombardment of the heaviest elements?
(a) Univeristy of Franfurt.
(b) Kaiser Wilheim Institute.
(c) Tubingen University.
(d) Univeristy of Berlin.
14. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
(a) The uncertainty principle.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) The relativity theory.
15. What is the topic of Enrico Fermi's fundamental paper?
(c) Beta decay.
(d) Neutron bombardment.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rutherford announce that he splits the atom?
2. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
3. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
4. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
5. What religion is Enrico Fermi?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)