|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Planck discover?
(a) A universal constant.
(b) The neutron.
(c) The atom.
(d) Home refrigeration theory.
2. What Russian-Jewish biochemist is later elected first president of Israel?
(a) George de Hevesy.
(b) Eugene Wigner.
(c) Chaim Weizmann.
(d) Theodor von Penski.
3. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) James Chadwick.
(d) Leo Szilard.
4. When does Marie Curie die?
5. What kind of planes does Germany use to bomb England?
(a) "Big Berthas".
6. Under whom is the German fission research consolidated?
(a) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute.
(b) Hans Geiger.
(c) The War Office.
(d) Otto Hahn.
7. When does de Hevesy's entire family become ennobled?
8. When are the Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes in Berlin dedicated?
9. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
10. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
(a) Quantum mechanics.
(b) The uncertainty principle.
(c) The relativity theory.
11. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
(a) The design of the cyclotron.
(b) The discovery of the proton.
(c) The design of the spiral particle accelerator.
(d) The discovery of the neutron.
12. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
(a) Princeton Foundation.
(b) Lewis Strauss.
(c) Neils Bohr.
(d) Nobel Foundation.
13. What is the name of Bohr's wife?
14. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
(b) Heavy water.
15. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Director of the London School of Economics in the 1930's?
2. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
3. Who gets Enrico Fermi a meeting with Admiral Hooper, the Undersecretary of the Navy?
4. Who writes "The Shape of Things to Come"?
5. Who reorganizes the Hungarian school system along German lines?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)