|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor that circulates regarding the 20th century Hungarian Jewish scientists?
(a) They are visitors from Mars.
(b) They are not all Hungarians.
(c) They are related.
(d) They are specially trained from birth.
2. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
(a) Cloud chamber.
(b) Accelerator tube.
(d) Bubble chamber.
3. Where does Enrico Fermi and his team carry out his experiments?
(a) In a laboratory.
(b) In a classroom.
(c) At his house.
(d) In a basement.
4. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
5. What is the subject of the patent Leo Szilard gives to Lewis Strass as a memorial to Strauss' parents?
(a) Production of radioactive cobalt.
(b) Solar energy.
(d) Nucelar chain reaction.
6. What does Rolf Wideroe invent?
(a) An accelerator tube that causes high voltage problems.
(b) A matrix table for elements.
(c) An accelerator tube that avoids high voltage problems.
(d) A refrigerator that does not freeze.
7. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
(a) He is a child prodigy mathematician.
(b) He discovers uranium.
(c) He is a child prodigy violinist.
(d) He writes a book.
8. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
(a) December 8, 1931.
(b) December 10, 1932.
(c) January 30, 1933.
(d) April 30, 1932.
9. Where do Frisch's parents go to live after his father is released from concentration camp?
10. In 1910, Jews make up what percent of the Hungarian population?
11. Where is particle acceleration developed?
12. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
13. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) Edmond de Rothchild.
(c) David Lloyd George.
(d) J.P. Morgan.
14. When does Bohr receive his Ph.D.?
15. Who recruits Bohr for research in in radioactivity in Manchester?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Albert Teller.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Ernest Rutherford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
2. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
3. After World War I, the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge becomes the center for what science?
4. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
5. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)