|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets Enrico Fermi a meeting with Admiral Hooper, the Undersecretary of the Navy?
(a) Leo Szilard.
(b) Andrew Lawrence.
(c) George Pegram.
(d) Vannevar Bush.
2. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
3. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
4. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
(b) The structure of the proton.
(d) The nuclear chain reaction.
5. What kind of planes does Germany use to bomb England?
(b) "Big Berthas".
6. In 1939, who is President of Carnegie Institute and is reluctant to invest in chain-reaction experiments?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) Isador Rabi.
(c) Vannevar Bush.
(d) George Bush.
7. In the 1930's, where do Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, and Fritz Strassman work when they are trying to sort out the elements created by neutron bombardment of the heaviest elements?
(a) Tubingen University.
(b) Univeristy of Berlin.
(c) Univeristy of Franfurt.
(d) Kaiser Wilheim Institute.
8. Where does Leo Szilard go from Berlin the day before the Nazis confiscate the rail system?
(b) New York.
9. When is Albert Einstein's theory of relativity proven through studies during an eclipse of the sun?
10. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
11. What is the subject of the patent Leo Szilard gives to Lewis Strass as a memorial to Strauss' parents?
(a) Production of radioactive cobalt.
(b) Solar energy.
(d) Nucelar chain reaction.
12. After finishing his Ph.D., where does Bohr start work?
(a) Cavendish Laboratory.
(b) Edinburgh Laboratory.
(c) University of Denmark.
(d) University of Copenhagan.
13. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
(a) Lise Meitner.
(b) Yehuda Menuhia.
(c) Maria Goeppert-Mayer.
(d) Marie Curie.
14. What does Max Planck discover?
(a) Home refrigeration theory.
(b) A universal constant.
(c) The neutron.
(d) The atom.
15. Who discovers radio waves in 1893?
(a) Max von Laue.
(b) James Maxwell.
(c) Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
(d) Ernest Rutherford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the first unconverted Jew ennobled since the Middle Ages?
2. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
3. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
4. Who is the Director of the London School of Economics in the 1930's?
5. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)