|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Enrico Fermi and his team carry out his experiments?
(a) In a laboratory.
(b) In a basement.
(c) At his house.
(d) In a classroom.
2. What is the subject of the patent Leo Szilard gives to Lewis Strass as a memorial to Strauss' parents?
(a) Nucelar chain reaction.
(c) Production of radioactive cobalt.
(d) Solar energy.
3. After finishing his Ph.D., where does Bohr start work?
(a) Edinburgh Laboratory.
(b) Cavendish Laboratory.
(c) University of Copenhagan.
(d) University of Denmark.
4. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
(a) Alexander Sachs.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Gustav Stolper.
5. What element does Enrico Fermi and his team begin to experiment with?
6. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
(a) Hans Gieger.
(b) Niels Bohr.
(c) Eugene Wigner.
(d) Edward Teller.
7. After World War I, the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge becomes the center for what science?
(a) Experimental physics.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) Nuclear physics.
8. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
(a) Harry Moseley.
(b) Max Planck.
(c) Ernest Rutherford.
(d) Niels Bohr.
9. When does Rutherford discover a radioactive gas emanating from thorium?
10. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
(a) Princeton Foundation.
(b) Lewis Strauss.
(c) Neils Bohr.
(d) Nobel Foundation.
11. Who heads the Academic Assistance Council in the 1930's?
(a) Niels Bohr.
(b) John Maynard Keynes.
(c) Ernest Rutherford.
(d) Kurt Mendelssohn.
12. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
13. What is the topic of Enrico Fermi's fundamental paper?
(b) Beta decay.
(c) Neutron bombardment.
14. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
15. Under whom is the German fission research consolidated?
(a) Otto Hahn.
(b) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute.
(c) The War Office.
(d) Hans Geiger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
2. Where is particle acceleration developed?
3. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
4. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
5. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)