|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
(a) The nuclear chain reaction.
(c) The structure of the proton.
2. Where does Bohr teach in 1916?
(a) University of Manchester.
(b) University of Copenhagen.
(c) University of Berlin.
(d) University of Edinburgh.
3. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
(a) James Chadwick.
(b) Ernest Lawrence.
(c) Rolf Wideroe.
(d) Robert Oppenheimer.
4. What kind of planes does Germany use to bomb England?
(a) "Big Berthas".
5. When does World War II begin?
6. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
(a) General physics.
(b) Nuclear physics.
7. In 1873, what physicist says that atoms do not exist?
(a) James Maxwell.
(b) James Chadwick.
(c) Max Planck.
(d) Fyodor Vinbert.
8. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
9. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
10. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
11. What element does Enrico Fermi and his team begin to experiment with?
12. Where is particle acceleration developed?
13. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
(a) Accelerator tube.
(b) Bubble chamber.
(d) Cloud chamber.
14. In 1910, Jews make up what percent of the Hungarian population?
15. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
(a) Recite the periodic table.
(b) Read science books.
(c) Multiply six figure numbers in his head.
(d) Write equations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the specific topic of Bohr's controversial paper in 1913?
2. When does Ernest Rutherford win the Nobel Prize in chemistry?
3. When does Isador Isaac Rabi become a Nobel laureate in physics?
4. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
5. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)