|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
2. What is the name of Bohr's wife?
3. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
4. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
(a) Because they want to go to Israel.
(b) Because of increasingly violent anti-Semitism.
(c) Because of family.
(d) Because they want to find better schooling.
5. What is Einstein's second wife's name?
6. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
(a) Edward Wigner.
(b) Lou Geirigh.
(c) Otto Reichart.
(d) Hans Geiger.
7. In the early 1900's, who do the Jewish commercial elite ally with, creating a large class of ennobled Jews?
(a) Other European commercial groups.
(b) German nobility.
(c) Government bureaucracy.
(d) Old Hungarian nobility.
8. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
9. Who is Queen Victoria of England's oldest grandson?
(a) Kaiser Wilhelm II.
(b) George III.
(c) King Edward VII.
(d) Prince Edward.
10. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
11. When does Rutherford suggest the existence of the neutron?
12. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
13. In the 1920's/1930's, what is the world's largest source of radioactive polonium?
(b) Marie Curie's Radium Institute.
(c) University of Manchester.
(d) Cavendish Laboratory.
14. Under whom is the German fission research consolidated?
(a) Otto Hahn.
(b) Hans Geiger.
(c) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute.
(d) The War Office.
15. In 1910, Jews make up what percent of the Hungarian population?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
2. Who is Alexander Sachs?
3. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
4. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
5. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)