|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Planck discover?
(a) A universal constant.
(b) Home refrigeration theory.
(c) The neutron.
(d) The atom.
2. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
3. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
4. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
(a) Nuclear physics.
(d) General physics.
5. What is Einstein's second wife's name?
6. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
(b) Cloud chamber.
(c) Bubble chamber.
(d) Accelerator tube.
7. Where do Frisch's parents go to live after his father is released from concentration camp?
8. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
9. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
(a) The design of the spiral particle accelerator.
(b) The discovery of the proton.
(c) The discovery of the neutron.
(d) The design of the cyclotron.
10. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
11. When does Ernest Lawrence win the Nobel Prize in Physics for producing a working model of the cyclotron?
12. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
13. Who envisions atoms as small billiard balls?
(a) Max von Laue.
(b) Isaac Newton.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Ernest Lawrence.
14. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
(a) Write equations.
(b) Read science books.
(c) Multiply six figure numbers in his head.
(d) Recite the periodic table.
15. In the 1930's, where do Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, and Fritz Strassman work when they are trying to sort out the elements created by neutron bombardment of the heaviest elements?
(a) Tubingen University.
(b) Kaiser Wilheim Institute.
(c) Univeristy of Franfurt.
(d) Univeristy of Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does de Hevesy's entire family become ennobled?
2. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
3. When does the Third Reich promulgate its first anti-Jewish ordinance?
4. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
5. Who is the token American at the Solvay Conference?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)