|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who envisions atoms as small billiard balls?
(a) Ernest Lawrence.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Max von Laue.
(d) Isaac Newton.
2. Whose contributions to 20th century physics rank second only to Albert Einstein's?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Niels Bohr.
(c) George de Hevesy.
(d) Ernest Rutherford.
3. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
4. What is the topic of Enrico Fermi's fundamental paper?
(a) Neutron bombardment.
(d) Beta decay.
5. Why is Yehudi Menuhim famous?
(a) He is a child prodigy violinist.
(b) He is a child prodigy mathematician.
(c) He writes a book.
(d) He discovers uranium.
6. Who does Enrico Fermi team with to separate iodine isotopes?
(a) Ernest Lawrence.
(b) T.A. Chalmers.
(c) Patrick Blacket.
(d) Lisa Meitner.
7. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
8. Where does Leo Szilard go from Berlin the day before the Nazis confiscate the rail system?
(b) New York.
9. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
(b) Bubble chamber.
(c) Cloud chamber.
(d) Accelerator tube.
10. What element does Enrico Fermi and his team begin to experiment with?
11. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From the Third Reich.
(b) From the head of the faculty.
(c) From Leo Szilard.
(d) From a student.
12. Who is Queen Victoria of England's oldest grandson?
(a) Kaiser Wilhelm II.
(b) George III.
(c) Prince Edward.
(d) King Edward VII.
13. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
14. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
15. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bohr announce at a Washington conference in 1939?
2. When does Bohr receive his Ph.D.?
3. Who becomes the first unconverted Jew ennobled since the Middle Ages?
4. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
5. The title of this chapter comes from what philosopher's writings?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)