|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does Frisch use to prove the nucleus splits?
(a) Accelerator tube.
(b) Bubble chamber.
(c) Cloud chamber.
2. In the 1920's/1930's, what is the world's largest source of radioactive polonium?
(a) University of Manchester.
(c) Marie Curie's Radium Institute.
(d) Cavendish Laboratory.
3. What does Chaim Weizmann discover that helps the war effort?
(a) A way to make radios more efficient.
(b) A new radioactive element.
(c) A secret code.
(d) An anerobic organism that decomposes starch.
4. When World War I begins, Bohr moves from Denmark to where?
(c) United States.
5. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
6. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
(a) The design of the spiral particle accelerator.
(b) The design of the cyclotron.
(c) The discovery of the neutron.
(d) The discovery of the proton.
7. How long does Lawrence calculate the size of the tube he needs?
(a) 100 yards.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 100 feet.
(d) 2 miles.
8. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
(a) Rolf Wideroe.
(b) Robert Oppenheimer.
(c) James Chadwick.
(d) Ernest Lawrence.
9. Where does Bohr teach in 1916?
(a) University of Edinburgh.
(b) University of Manchester.
(c) University of Copenhagen.
(d) University of Berlin.
10. Who does Enrico Fermi marry?
(a) Anna Toble.
(b) Maria Karenina.
(c) Julian Carian.
(d) Laura Capon.
11. Who envisions atoms as small billiard balls?
(a) Ernest Lawrence.
(b) Isaac Newton.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Max von Laue.
12. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
(b) The nuclear chain reaction.
(c) The structure of the proton.
13. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
14. When does de Hevesy's entire family become ennobled?
15. Who discovers that radium gives off a radioactive gas?
(a) Marie and Pierre Curie.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) Wilhelm Roentgen.
(d) Leo Szilard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory or principle does Albert Einstein not accept?
2. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
3. In 1873, what physicist says that atoms do not exist?
4. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
5. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)