|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the general topic for the Solvay Conference?
(a) Nuclear physics.
(c) Quantum mechanics.
(d) Experimental physics.
2. Who writes "The Shape of Things to Come"?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Richard Rhodes.
(c) Leo Szilard.
3. When does Bohr receive his Ph.D.?
4. Who provides Lise Meitner a grant to continue experimenting?
(a) Nobel Foundation.
(b) Neils Bohr.
(c) Lewis Strauss.
(d) Princeton Foundation.
5. Who does Enrico Fermi marry?
(a) Maria Karenina.
(b) Laura Capon.
(c) Anna Toble.
(d) Julian Carian.
6. In the early 1900's, who do the Jewish commercial elite ally with, creating a large class of ennobled Jews?
(a) Other European commercial groups.
(b) German nobility.
(c) Old Hungarian nobility.
(d) Government bureaucracy.
7. In the 1920's/1930's, what is the world's largest source of radioactive polonium?
(a) University of Manchester.
(c) Marie Curie's Radium Institute.
(d) Cavendish Laboratory.
8. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
(c) The structure of the proton.
(d) The nuclear chain reaction.
9. Where is particle acceleration developed?
10. The title of this chapter comes from what philosopher's writings?
11. What is Theordor von Karman's area of study?
(a) Experimental physics.
(b) Aeronautical physics.
(c) Theoretical physics.
(d) Quantum mechanics.
12. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
(a) Hans Geiger.
(b) Lou Geirigh.
(c) Otto Reichart.
(d) Edward Wigner.
13. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
14. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
15. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ernest Rutherford moves from New Zealand to where?
2. Where does Bohr teach in 1916?
3. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
4. What religion is Enrico Fermi?
5. What can Von Karman do at age six that show he is a prodigy?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)