|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Director of the London School of Economics in the 1930's?
(a) A.E. Houseman.
(b) William Beveridge.
(c) Edward Teller.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
2. Who becomes the first unconverted Jew ennobled since the Middle Ages?
(b) de Hevesy.
3. How much money does Leo Szilard ask the Uranium Committee for?
4. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
5. Who gets Enrico Fermi a meeting with Admiral Hooper, the Undersecretary of the Navy?
(a) George Pegram.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Vannevar Bush.
(d) Andrew Lawrence.
6. Who teaches Bohr about radiochemistry?
(a) John Karman.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) Eugene Wigner.
(d) George de Hevesy.
7. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
(a) Ernest Rutherford.
(b) Max Planck.
(c) Niels Bohr.
(d) Harry Moseley.
8. In 1939, who does Leo Szilard want to prevent from learning about nuclear fission?
(a) Hungarian physicists.
(b) George Hans.
(c) German physicists.
(d) Lise Meitner.
9. When does Adloph Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
(a) January 30, 1933.
(b) December 10, 1932.
(c) December 8, 1931.
(d) April 30, 1932.
10. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
11. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
(a) Leo Szilard.
(b) Alexander Sachs.
(c) Gustav Stolper.
(d) Albert Einstein.
12. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From the Third Reich.
(b) From Leo Szilard.
(c) From a student.
(d) From the head of the faculty.
13. Who discovers radio waves in 1893?
(a) Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) James Maxwell.
(d) Max von Laue.
14. When does Rutherford announce that he splits the atom?
15. Who is the second woman in history to earn a Ph.D. at the University of Vienna?
(a) Maria Goeppert-Mayer.
(b) Lise Meitner.
(c) Marie Curie.
(d) Yehuda Menuhia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founds big-machine physics in America?
2. What is Einstein's second wife's name?
3. What is the specific topic of Bohr's controversial paper in 1913?
4. Who is Alexander Sachs?
5. When does Bohr receive his Ph.D.?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)