|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max Planck discover?
(a) Home refrigeration theory.
(b) The neutron.
(c) The atom.
(d) A universal constant.
2. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
3. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
4. When World War I begins, Bohr moves from Denmark to where?
(b) United States.
5. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
(b) Nuclear physics.
(d) General physics.
6. Where does Hans Bethe go after his dismissal from Tubingen?
7. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
8. What does Otto Hahn and Lise Meitner research together?
9. When does the first meeting of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Uranium meet?
10. What does Chaim Weizmann discover that helps the war effort?
(a) A new radioactive element.
(b) A secret code.
(c) An anerobic organism that decomposes starch.
(d) A way to make radios more efficient.
11. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
(a) Leo Szilard.
(b) James Chadwick.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Ernest Rutherford.
12. What does Frisch call the division process of the nucleus?
13. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
14. Who becomes the first unconverted Jew ennobled since the Middle Ages?
(d) de Hevesy.
15. Who writes the letters to Roosevelt "sounding the alarm" about nuclear fission?
(a) Alexander Sachs.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Gustav Stolper.
(d) Albert Einstein.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Bohr about radiochemistry?
2. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
3. In 1939, who is President of Carnegie Institute and is reluctant to invest in chain-reaction experiments?
4. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
5. Where does Enrico Fermi and his team carry out his experiments?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)