|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's patent applications in England?
(c) Nuclear chain reaction.
(d) Nuclear power production.
2. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
3. In the 1930's, where do Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, and Fritz Strassman work when they are trying to sort out the elements created by neutron bombardment of the heaviest elements?
(a) Tubingen University.
(b) Univeristy of Berlin.
(c) Univeristy of Franfurt.
(d) Kaiser Wilheim Institute.
4. Who discovers radio waves in 1893?
(a) Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) James Maxwell.
(d) Max von Laue.
5. What is the topic of Bohr's first published scientific paper?
(b) The atom.
(d) The surface tension of water.
6. Who reorganizes the Hungarian school system along German lines?
(a) Von Neumann.
(b) Mor Karman.
(c) Michael Polanyi.
(d) Eugene Wigner.
7. When does Marie Curie die?
8. When does the Allied campaign at the Turkish Gallipoli Peninsula begin?
9. What two scientists are known to work together on gas warfare in German-occupied Brussels?
(a) Hahn and Haber.
(b) Darwin and Meitner.
(c) Haber and Meitner.
(d) Hahn and Darwin.
10. In the early 1900's, who do the Jewish commercial elite ally with, creating a large class of ennobled Jews?
(a) German nobility.
(b) Other European commercial groups.
(c) Old Hungarian nobility.
(d) Government bureaucracy.
11. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From the Third Reich.
(b) From the head of the faculty.
(c) From a student.
(d) From Leo Szilard.
12. Where does Enrico Fermi and his team carry out his experiments?
(a) At his house.
(b) In a laboratory.
(c) In a basement.
(d) In a classroom.
13. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
14. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
(a) Ernest Rutherford.
(b) James Chadwick.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Albert Einstein.
15. What does Max Planck discover?
(a) A universal constant.
(b) Home refrigeration theory.
(c) The neutron.
(d) The atom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
2. Who becomes the first unconverted Jew ennobled since the Middle Ages?
3. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
4. When does the Third Reich promulgate its first anti-Jewish ordinance?
5. When is Albert Einstein's theory of relativity proven through studies during an eclipse of the sun?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)