|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is Enrico Fermi?
2. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
(a) Edward Teller.
(b) John von Neumann.
(c) J.J. Thompson.
(d) Hans Gieger.
3. Who writes "The Shape of Things to Come"?
(b) Max Planck.
(c) Richard Rhodes.
(d) Leo Szilard.
4. Who discovers radio waves in 1893?
(a) Max von Laue.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) James Maxwell.
(d) Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
5. Who envisions atoms as small billiard balls?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Ernest Lawrence.
(c) Max von Laue.
(d) Leo Szilard.
6. What does Chaim Weizmann discover that helps the war effort?
(a) A new radioactive element.
(b) A secret code.
(c) An anerobic organism that decomposes starch.
(d) A way to make radios more efficient.
7. What is hailed as the beginning of true nuclear physics?
(a) The discovery of the proton.
(b) The design of the cyclotron.
(c) The discovery of the neutron.
(d) The design of the spiral particle accelerator.
8. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
(c) Heavy water.
9. What Russian-Jewish biochemist is later elected first president of Israel?
(a) Eugene Wigner.
(b) George de Hevesy.
(c) Chaim Weizmann.
(d) Theodor von Penski.
10. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
(a) Nuclear physics.
(c) General physics.
11. Where do Frisch's parents go to live after his father is released from concentration camp?
12. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
(a) Lou Geirigh.
(b) Otto Reichart.
(c) Edward Wigner.
(d) Hans Geiger.
13. Where does Bohr teach in 1916?
(a) University of Copenhagen.
(b) University of Manchester.
(c) University of Berlin.
(d) University of Edinburgh.
14. What is the topic of Bohr's first published scientific paper?
(a) The atom.
(c) The surface tension of water.
15. What is Einstein's second wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of planes does Germany use to bomb England?
2. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
3. When does the Solvay Conference in Brussels take place?
4. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
5. Who designs the first working cyclotron?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)