|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1920, Jews make up what percent of Hungary's financiers?
2. Where is particle acceleration developed?
3. In 1939, who is pursuing atomic research in Germany?
(a) Lou Geirigh.
(b) Otto Reichart.
(c) Edward Wigner.
(d) Hans Geiger.
4. After World War I, the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge becomes the center for what science?
(a) Quantum mechanics.
(b) Experimental physics.
(d) Nuclear physics.
5. What is the name of George Gamov's wife?
6. What is the specific topic of Bohr's controversial paper in 1913?
(a) Water tension.
(b) Quantam theory.
(c) Atomic bomb.
7. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
(a) Because they want to go to Israel.
(b) Because of increasingly violent anti-Semitism.
(c) Because they want to find better schooling.
(d) Because of family.
8. In 1939, who does Leo Szilard want to prevent from learning about nuclear fission?
(a) Lise Meitner.
(b) Hungarian physicists.
(c) German physicists.
(d) George Hans.
9. Who is the financial mainstay of pioneering Jewish settlements in Palestine when World War I begins?
(a) Edmond de Rothchild.
(b) J.P. Morgan.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) David Lloyd George.
10. What is the topic of Enrico Fermi's fundamental paper?
(a) Neutron bombardment.
(d) Beta decay.
11. Under whom is the German fission research consolidated?
(a) The War Office.
(b) Hans Geiger.
(c) Otto Hahn.
(d) The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute.
12. Approximately how many wealthy Jewish men do the Germans send to concentration camps during the German Kristallnacht?
13. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
14. What is the name of Bohr's wife?
15. Who is the author of "Mein Kempf"?
(a) Adolf Hitler.
(b) Adolphus von Brogan.
(c) Eugene Wigner.
(d) The czarist secret police.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
2. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's Ph.D. thesis?
3. What two scientists are known to work together on gas warfare in German-occupied Brussels?
4. Where does Lise Meitner go when she flees Germany?
5. When are the Kaiser Wilhelm Institutes in Berlin dedicated?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)