|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19 "Tongues of Fire".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who directs the physics department at the University of Birmingham, England, in 1939?
(a) Mark Oliphant.
(b) Leo Szilard.
(c) Otto Frisch.
(d) Henry Tizard.
2. Who confirms the existence of a neutron?
(a) Fyodor Vinbert.
(b) Max von Laue.
(c) James Chadwick.
(d) Ernest Lawrence.
3. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
(b) Heavy water.
4. When does Enrico Fermi move to Los Alamos?
(a) January 1944.
(b) February 1942.
(c) June 1943.
(d) September 1944.
5. Who is the Director of the London School of Economics in the 1930's?
(a) Edward Teller.
(b) A.E. Houseman.
(c) William Beveridge.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the crew who is training for delivering of the atomic bomb go for training with radar and flying over water?
2. What is the NDRC?
3. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
4. Who works with Rutherford to develop a counter for alpha particles?
5. What theoretical physicist moves to Manchester when he is twenty seven year old for experience working with radioactivity?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)