|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19 "Tongues of Fire".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Edward Teller becomes an American citizen and moves to Manhattan, his research involves what?
(a) The hydrogen bomb.
(b) A mass spectrometer.
(c) The atomic bomb.
2. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
(a) January 1944.
(b) January 1943.
(c) November 1943.
(d) June 1943.
3. Who is the Director of the London School of Economics in the 1930's?
(a) William Beveridge.
(b) Edward Teller.
(c) A.E. Houseman.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
4. After finishing his Ph.D., where does Bohr start work?
(a) Cavendish Laboratory.
(b) University of Denmark.
(c) Edinburgh Laboratory.
(d) University of Copenhagan.
5. Who says,"The mission of this Allied force is fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945"?
(a) Douglas MacArthur.
(b) George Marshall.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) President Truman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1930's, where do Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, and Fritz Strassman work when they are trying to sort out the elements created by neutron bombardment of the heaviest elements?
2. Who confirms the existence of a neutron?
3. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
4. What company provides contracted employees to operate the Oak Ridge facility?
5. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)