|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19 "Tongues of Fire".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Rutherford suggest the existence of the neutron?
2. When does World War II begin?
3. What does Rolf Wideroe invent?
(a) An accelerator tube that causes high voltage problems.
(b) A matrix table for elements.
(c) A refrigerator that does not freeze.
(d) An accelerator tube that avoids high voltage problems.
4. When does the Oak Ridge pilot reactor reach critical mass?
(a) January 1944.
(b) November 1943.
(c) January 1943.
(d) June 1943.
5. When does Rutherford discover a radioactive gas emanating from thorium?
Short Answer Questions
1. What English innovation does the author consider to be the most valuable in the war?
2. Where does Leo Szilard go from Berlin the day before the Nazis confiscate the rail system?
3. What gas do the Germans first introduce into the war at Ypres, contrary to the terms of the Hague Declaration of 1899?
4. What does Leo Szilard want to use as the moderator in the nuclear chain reaction?
5. Who conceives the atomic bomb?
This section contains 174 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)