|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16 "Revelations".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovers that radium gives off a radioactive gas?
(a) Ernest Rutherford.
(b) Wilhelm Roentgen.
(c) Leo Szilard.
(d) Marie and Pierre Curie.
2. What does Bohr announce at a Washington conference in 1939?
(a) His retirement.
(b) A neutron can split uranium.
(c) The plans for an atomic bomb.
(d) The existence of protons.
3. Who teaches Bohr about radiochemistry?
(a) George de Hevesy.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) John Karman.
(d) Eugene Wigner.
4. How old is Hitler when he comes to power?
5. What is Operation Barbarossa?
(a) A secret Russian physics laboratory.
(b) England's plans to invade Germany.
(c) Germany's invasion of Russia.
(d) A secret Norwegian project to build the atomic bomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who creates the greatest school of theoretical physics in the United States at Berkeley, CA, in the late 1930's/early 1940's?
2. Who is the Director of the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge after World War I?
3. What is the subject of Leo Szilard's patent applications in England?
4. What two scientists are known to work together on gas warfare in German-occupied Brussels?
5. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)