|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14 "Physics in Desert Country".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hans Bethe learn of his dismissal from Tubingen University?
(a) From a student.
(b) From the Third Reich.
(c) From Leo Szilard.
(d) From the head of the faculty.
2. Who is Captain William S. Parsons?
(a) Test pilot.
(c) Commander of the Navy at Pearl Harbor.
(d) Designer of the plutonium gun.
3. When does Rutherford announce that he splits the atom?
4. A part of what country does Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agree should be ceded to Germany?
5. Where does Hans Bethe go after his dismissal from Tubingen?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of one of the debates that takes place at the Solvay Conference?
2. After finishing his Ph.D., where does Bohr start work?
3. In 1939, who does Leo Szilard want to prevent from learning about nuclear fission?
4. In 1939, who is President of Carnegie Institute and is reluctant to invest in chain-reaction experiments?
5. What does J.J. Thompson discover?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)