|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14 "Physics in Desert Country".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1940, how long does the MAUD Committee think it takes its members to create an atomic weapon?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
2. About how many refugee physicists go the United States between 1933 and 1941?
3. What is Theordor von Karman's area of study?
(a) Aeronautical physics.
(b) Experimental physics.
(c) Quantum mechanics.
(d) Theoretical physics.
4. Where is Site X located?
(a) New Mexico.
5. Hahn and Strassman (without Meitner) continue experiments with neutron bombardment of what element?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Secretary of War in 1942?
2. Who heads the Academic Assistance Council in the 1930's?
3. When do the Germans invade Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg?
4. What is Operation Barbarossa?
5. How many of the 20th century's most exceptional scientists, who go on to become involved in the atomic bomb, are produced by the Hungarian Jewish middle class?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)