|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 "Men from Mars".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does J.J. Thompson discover?
(a) The neutron.
(b) The proton.
(c) The electron.
(d) The atom.
2. Who determines how to use x-ray spectroscopy to study atoms?
(a) Harry Moseley.
(b) Max Planck.
(c) Ernest Rutherford.
(d) Niels Bohr.
3. What does Chaim Weizmann discover that helps the war effort?
(a) An anerobic organism that decomposes starch.
(b) A new radioactive element.
(c) A secret code.
(d) A way to make radios more efficient.
4. Why do the Jewish scientists leave Hungary?
(a) Because they want to find better schooling.
(b) Because of family.
(c) Because of increasingly violent anti-Semitism.
(d) Because they want to go to Israel.
5. When does Rutherford discover a radioactive gas emanating from thorium?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Queen Victoria of England's oldest grandson?
2. Where does Leo Szilard go from Berlin the day before the Nazis confiscate the rail system?
3. What Russian-Jewish biochemist is later elected first president of Israel?
4. In 1873, what physicist says that atoms do not exist?
5. How many patents does Szilard apply for in Germany between 1924 and 1934?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)