|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lizet say her flight was leaving when Leidy asked in Chapter 7?
2. What was the favorite meal of Lizet's that her mother made for her during her Thanksgiving visit?
3. How much weight did Lizet lose in the first fall at college?
4. Who was the young woman who began crying next to Lizet at the diversity orientation in Chapter 9?
5. How long was Lizet's chemistry final to last in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the narrative style of Make Your Home Among Strangers?
2. What does the film Monty Python's Life of Brian signify in the novel?
3. How is Ricky's behavior different than Lourdes's behavior toward Lizet during Lizet's visit home for the holidays?
4. Who is Jaquelin Medina? Where did Lizet meet her?
5. What are the two main timelines presented in the narrative and how are they established?
6. What are the main conflicts that Lizet faces in Chapter 2?
7. How did Lizet's parents respond when she told them she was admitted to college?
8. What academic support does Lizet begin taking advantage of at Rawlings in Chapter 12?
9. How do Lourdes and Leidy respond when Lizet asks about the sources of their stories in Chapter 7? Why?
10. Where is Lizet and why is she returning home in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give three examples of irony and discuss each. What is verbal irony and how is it employed in the novel? What situational irony can be seen in Lizet's experiences? How is dramatic irony employed and what are the effects it creates?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of responsibility and sacrifice in Make Your Home Among Strangers. What are the different perspectives of responsibility among Lizet and her family members? What characters have clearly made sacrifices? What are those sacrifices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of education and ambition in Make Your Home Among Strangers. What does education mean symbolically to Lizet and to the members of her family? Do you think that education is something that is encouraged in Lizet's community? Why or why not?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)