|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the female dean at Lizet's hearing in Chapter 11?
2. When did the Mariel Boatlift occur?
3. How old was Lizet's father when a friend dragged him to see a dead body, according to the narrative in Chapter 1?
4. What kind of algae does Lizet describe in the canals in Chapter 1?
5. How old was Ariel when he was rescued by a fisherman crossing into the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ariel Hernandez?
2. For how long have Lizet and Omar been dating in Chapter 7? What are Lizet's feelings about their relationship?
3. How do Lourdes and Leidy respond when Lizet asks about the sources of their stories in Chapter 7? Why?
4. Why does Lizet lie to her mother and Leidy about where she is going in Chapter 17?
5. What are the main conflicts that Lizet faces in Chapter 2?
6. What does Lizet do with the young Latina woman's business card in Chapter 3? Why?
7. What do Lizet and the young Latina woman on the shuttle have in common in Chapter 3?
8. What does Lizet remark about the canal by her childhood home in Chapter 1?
9. What does Lizet decide to confront her father about in Chapter 14? Why?
10. How do Lourdes and Leidy react to seeing Lizet in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lizet's relationship with Omar in Make Your Home Among Strangers. For how long have they been seeing one another? In what ways is their relationship similar to Leidy's relationship with Roly? How is it different? Do you think that Omar is a protagonist or antagonist in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of education and ambition in Make Your Home Among Strangers. What does education mean symbolically to Lizet and to the members of her family? Do you think that education is something that is encouraged in Lizet's community? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Give three examples of irony and discuss each. What is verbal irony and how is it employed in the novel? What situational irony can be seen in Lizet's experiences? How is dramatic irony employed and what are the effects it creates?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)