|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Lizet's college, there is said to be a brain within the brain collection that is from a serial killer and is larger than whose brain?
2. What kind of car does Lizet describe Omar driving in Chapter 8?
3. Whose gloves was Lizet wearing at the ice-skating rink in Chapter 14?
4. What book did Caroline claim to read about the kinds of relationships that plagued Lizet's community?
5. What is the name of Lizet's baby nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lizet's mother remark about Lizet's appearance at the airport in Chapter 15? What is Lizet's reaction?
2. What does Lizet remark about the canal by her childhood home in Chapter 1?
3. What verdict does the committee reach in Lizet's hearing in Chapter 11?
4. Why does Lizet have resentment toward her father in the beginning of the novel?
5. For how long have Lizet and Omar been dating in Chapter 7? What are Lizet's feelings about their relationship?
6. Who is Dante's father? Where is he?
7. What are the two main timelines presented in the narrative and how are they established?
8. What does Lizet think of when driving past her childhood home in Chapter 18?
9. What information does the reader learn of Lizet's education in Chapters 1 and 2?
10. How is Lizet's first ice-skating experience described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character or Lourdes Ramirez in Make Your Home Among Strangers. How old is Lourdes? What causes Lourdes to become obsessed with the Ariel Hernandez case? How would you describe Loudes's relationships with her daughters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Rawlings College. Where is Rawlings located? How esteemed is the college? What is the student body like? How are the buildings described?
Essay Topic 3
Give three examples of irony and discuss each. What is verbal irony and how is it employed in the novel? What situational irony can be seen in Lizet's experiences? How is dramatic irony employed and what are the effects it creates?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)