Chapters 1 - 2
• NOTE: Citations in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the book: Crucet, Jennine Capó. Make Your Home Among Strangers. Macmillan, 2015.
• Make Your Home Among Strangers is a contemporary novel that tells the story of narrator and protagonist Lizet Ramirez, the daughter of first-generation Cuban immigrants, as she attempts to reconcile her history, culture, and family within a new setting at the elite Rawlings College.
• Chapter 1 begins ten years after the main timeline of the rest of the novel with Lizet describing the canal by her childhood home in Miami.
• Lizet is now the manager of a research lab and is studying the destruction of coral reefs across the globe.
• Lizet describes a horrific list of items and pollutants cast into the canal by her childhood home and makes it a point to describe these at weekly group meetings in order to make the...
This section contains 5,450 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)