|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lady Britomart expect her daughters to behave in front of Mr. Undershaft?
2. Who does Mr. Undershaft first mistake for his son?
3. What is the relationship of Sarah and Charles Lomax?
4. Act 1 begins in which room of the house?
5. Who questions the morality of Mr. Undershaft's business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How familiar is Mr. Undershaft with his children?
2. Why is Bill Walker upset when he arrives?
3. What are the lies that Snobby Price told the Salvation Army?
4. How does Barbara feel about Mr. Undershaft's visit?
5. What does Mr. Undershaft believe about the poor and wealthy classes?
6. How does Peter Shirley react to the offer of food?
7. Why does Mr. Undershaft show preference to Barbara?
8. What are the decided travel arrangements to the foundry?
9. How does Stephen handle Lady Britomart when she objects to his political career choice?
10. How does Mr. Undershaft view Adolphus Cusins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Major Barbara is a discussion play rather than an action play. Compare and contrast the 2 writing styles and the effectiveness of the messages.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a major theme throughout Major Barbara. Choose 3 characters and explain their religious viewpoints. What were Shaw's personal religious beliefs, and how did they influence his writings?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty in Britain is a theme that we see in Major Barbara. What were the conditions of poverty in the early 1900s, and how do they compare to Shaw's representation?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)