|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in Act 1?
2. Who is Lady Britomart's oldest daughter?
3. What is Lady Britomart and Mr. Undershaft's current relationship?
4. For which person does Mr. Undershaft show disdain?
5. Who is Barbara's fiance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barbara feel about Mr. Undershaft's visit?
2. How familiar is Mr. Undershaft with his children?
3. What are the disturbing items that Lady Britomart discloses to Stephen?
4. Why did Snobby Price lie to the Salvation Army?
5. What are Barbara and Adolphus Cusins' final decisions?
6. Describe Barbara's work and lifestyle.
7. What is the difference between Stephen and Barbara's views of people in the world?
8. What are Mr. Undershaft's views on government versus business?
9. How does Mr. Undershaft respond to Barbara's question of goodness and justification at the foundry?
10. What are Stephen's ideas about his career?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Undershaft has a skewed sense of the value of family. Compare and contrast his views in Major Barbara to Shaw's values of family.
Essay Topic 2
Power is a theme that we see in Major Barbara. What are the differing views of the power of money, the power of God and the power of weapons?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty in Britain is a theme that we see in Major Barbara. What were the conditions of poverty in the early 1900s, and how do they compare to Shaw's representation?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)