|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Undershaft is what type of son?
2. Charles Lomax goes by what nickname?
3. For which person does Mr. Undershaft show disdain?
4. Who does Mr. Undershaft first mistake for his son?
5. How does Stephen react to Lady Britomart's proposal to ask Mr. Undershaft for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter Shirley react to the offer of food?
2. Describe Peter Shirley.
3. What are the disturbing items that Lady Britomart discloses to Stephen?
4. Why is Barbara still upset with Mr. Undershaft?
5. Why are Lady Britomart and Mr. Undershaft separated?
6. What are Mr. Undershaft's ideas about finding an inheritor for the foundry?
7. Describe Lady Britomart's family.
8. Why does Barbara resign from the Salvation Army?
9. What are the reasons Lady Britomart has invited Mr. Undershaft over?
10. How do Stephen and Mr. Undershaft feel about each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Class & social standing are themes throughout Major Barbara. Compare and contrast the high society characters in the play and the lower class society characters. What social class was Bernard Shaw a member of, and how did this influence his writings?
Essay Topic 2
Bernard Shaw wrote many other works, including plays and novels. Choose an area of his life that recurs as a theme in his works and write a synopsis of his beliefs on that theme.
Essay Topic 3
The morality of manufacturing weapons is a theme in Major Barbara. Compare and contrast the opposing views on the morality of manufacturing weapons during the early 1900s to today's views of weapons.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)