|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pettigrew think of Marjorie's grief over Bertie?
2. Where is Mrs. Ali from?
3. Who helps Mr. Pettigrew at the beginning of the book?
4. Who told Major Pettigrew about his brother's death?
5. Where does Jemima hope to get the money she needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Major Pettigrew thinking about while he is in his garden with Mrs. Ali?
2. What does Major Pettigrew about after the funeral, and why?
3. What does Major Pettigrew love about the walk into town?
4. How does Pettigrew protect his brother's guns?
5. How is Grace's sudden illness a good thing for Pettigrew?
6. How does Major Pettigrew describe his village?
7. Why is it hard for Major Pettigrew to visit his sister-in-law after the funeral?
8. Why is Mrs. Ali hesitant to get too close to Major Pettigrew?
9. How did people respond to Pettigrew's suggestion for the golf club dance?
10. What does Major Pettigrew suggest for the golf club dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between The Major and Jasmina change throughout the course of this book, and how did these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways the Major and Nancy showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Amina was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Pettigrew's life. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered Pettigrew's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)