|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop does Mrs. Ali look at while Pettigrew goes to see Roger's cottage?
2. How does Pettigrew get out of having tea with Sandy at the cottage?
3. What disappoints Mr. Pettigrew at the funeral?
4. Why does Mr. Pettigrew need help at the beginning of the book?
5. Who helps Mr. Pettigrew at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Khan treat Mrs. Ali, and why?
2. Why is Mrs. Ali hesitant to get too close to Major Pettigrew?
3. How does Major Pettigrew prepare for his tea with Mrs. Ali?
4. How is Grace's sudden illness a good thing for Pettigrew?
5. What does Major Pettigrew blame for the things he doesn't like about Sandy?
6. How did people respond to Pettigrew's suggestion for the golf club dance?
7. How does Pettigrew protect his brother's guns?
8. How does Major Pettigrew change in his thoughts towards Mrs. Ali at the beginning of the book?
9. How does Major Pettigrew describe his village?
10. What is Major Pettigrew thinking about while he is in his garden with Mrs. Ali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between The Major and Jasmina change throughout the course of this book, and how did these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is something that was very important to Pettigrew in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Love was a very important attribute and motivating factor in this book. Which people were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to Pettigrew's life and why?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)