|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes quarrels at the theater group's rehearsal?
2. Percy Bresnahan tells Carol they should have lunch where?
3. Who tarnishes Fern's reputation?
4. When the Kennicott's return from vacation, Carol worries Hugh is what?
5. How many times a week does Dr. Kennicott shave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Carol spends much of her time in Gopher Prairie complaining about the town, there are things that she grows to love. Analyze the different aspects of Gopher Prairie Carol appreciates and why.
Essay Topic 2
"Main Street" is set in a time period where women begin to have freedom and options other than marriage. Analyze the various women who appear in the first several chapters of "Main Street" and how they reflect the time period of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is an important part of any novel, as it shapes the actions and lifestyle of the characters.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the different settings in "Main Street."
Part 2) Examine the effect of each setting on Carol.
Part 3) Determine why Carol's story is better told from the backdrop of Gopher Prairie.
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)