|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Dr. Kennicott call Carol?
2. In Chapter 24, what piece of clothing does Carol compare her life to?
3. What untrue rumor is spread about Miles, following Bea's death?
4. After the boom in the economy, "Dauntless" calls Gopher Prairie what?
5. What is the first play Guy Pollock suggests the theater group should perform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to avoid facing the dull reality of her life, Carol often relies on fantasy. Discuss the various fantasies Carol puts to use to make her life in Gopher Prairie bearable.
Essay Topic 2
Upon moving to Gopher Prairie, Carol makes snap judgments about the citizens who live there, based on the words of a few.
Part 1) What misconceptions does Carol make about the citizens of Gopher Prairie?
Part 2) What are moments in the text where Carol realizes she was too hasty a judge?
Part 3) How does Carol's opinion of the citizens of Gopher Prairie change as she gets to know them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character Carol and her expectations at the beginning of "Main Street."
Part 1) What are her expectations for her life?
Part 2) What are her expectations for other people?
Part 3) What are her expectations for the world?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)