|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carol attend college?
2. What does The Red Swede call the Jolly Seventeen?
3. Carol asks for an allowance for what item?
4. What song does a boy on the train play?
5. When Gopher Prairie was founded, how many houses were put up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Carol at the first meeting of the dramatic society?
2. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
3. Describe the characters of Uncle Whittier and Aunt Bessie.
4. When Carol visits Minneapolis, she is worried that the porter at the hotel thinks she is what? Why is this significant?
5. What is Carol worried about when she leaves from first private talk with Guy Pollock?
6. Carol and the women at the bridge game argue about the maids' wages. Why?
7. Why does Carol fight with her husband after her meeting with Guy Pollock?
8. Describe Main Street in Gopher Prairie.
9. When Miles leaves town, what does he do and how does the town react?
10. What drives Carol to go to Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Carol is the main character in the novel "Main Street" and goes through many changes throughout the story. Who is Carol... Part 1) When she first arrives in Gopher Prairie? Part 2) When she leaves for D.C.? Part 3) When she returns to Gopher Prairie?
Essay Topic 2Carol's marriage to Dr. Kennicott and her move to Gopher Prairie is partly due to his suggestion that Carol can reform the town. Discuss the various ways Carol tries to live up this suggestion and whether her actions get results.
Essay Topic 3Although Carol tries to conform to what is expected in Gopher Prairie, she does not always remain with a conventional set of friends. Discuss the various characters Carol has befriended and why. Include... 1. Guy Pollock. 2. Bea. 3. The Red Swede.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)