|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If farmers controlled Dr. Kennicott's rate, he's concerned they'd do what?
2. In Chapter 10, Carol feels like her house is what?
3. In Chapter 12, what type of group does Carol start?
4. What is the Thantopsis?
5. What depresses Carol about the farmers on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "great change" happens to Carol in Chapter 19?
2. Why is Vida interested in Raymie?
3. Describe the characters of Uncle Whittier and Aunt Bessie.
4. In Chapter 24, Carol has strong opinions on how she is treated by others. How does she respond to these emotions?
5. Why does Carol panic when she arrives in Gopher Prairie?
6. How does Maud attempt to lure Dr. Kennicott to her home?
7. What is Carol worried about when she leaves from first private talk with Guy Pollock?
8. How does Dr. Kennicott react to Maud's invitation and why does he follow through?
9. What is Fern accused of by Mrs. Bogart and what is the effect on Fern?
10. How does Carol imagine the war will affect Gopher Prairie's conversation? What is the actual outcome?
Essay Topic 1
Upon moving to Gopher Prairie, Carol makes snap judgments about the citizens who live there, based on the words of a few.
Part 1) What misconceptions does Carol make about the citizens of Gopher Prairie?
Part 2) What are moments in the text where Carol realizes she was too hasty a judge?
Part 3) How does Carol's opinion of the citizens of Gopher Prairie change as she gets to know them?
Essay Topic 2
"Main Street" is set in a time period where women begin to have freedom and options other than marriage. Analyze the various women who appear in the first several chapters of "Main Street" and how they reflect the time period of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Carol and Erik.
Part 1) How does the relationship begin?
Part 2) When does the relationship become serious?
Part 3) How does the relationship in?
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)