|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does a boy on the train play?
2. During Chapter 5, Dr. Kennicott asks a farmer's wife for what?
3. In what city does Main Street open?
4. What is unique about the suit Carol wears in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 15, what role does Carol attempt to perfect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Christmas holiday affect Carol?
2. Why is Vida interested in Raymie?
3. What role does Carol play at the beginning of Chapter 15 and why?
4. In what way does Carol try to convince herself Gopher Prairie is like New York?
5. During the summer, where do the women of Gopher Prairie leave their petty concerns behind?
6. Once Carol has her child, how does her life change?
7. What is Carol's family background and how does this affect her financial situation?
8. When Carol hosts a party in Chapter 6, she creates a wild atmosphere. Describe the game the guests play that is unconventional.
9. What is the Village Virus and who describes it to Carol?
10. When Carol visits Guy Pollock for the first time, what simple gestures suddenly appear heightened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Carol tries to conform to what is expected in Gopher Prairie, she does not always remain with a conventional set of friends. Discuss the various characters Carol has befriended and why. Include...
1. Guy Pollock.
3. The Red Swede.
Essay Topic 2
Carol is the main character in the novel "Main Street" and goes through many changes throughout the story. Who is Carol...
Part 1) When she first arrives in Gopher Prairie?
Part 2) When she leaves for D.C.?
Part 3) When she returns to Gopher Prairie?
Essay Topic 3
As an orphan and an outsider to Gopher Prairie, it appears as though Carol's life follows a path toward loneliness.
Part 1) How does the idea of loneliness appear in the novel?
Part 2) How does Carol react to loneliness?
Part 3) Does Carol run from loneliness or invite it?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)