|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carol call on the Perrys when Dr. Kennicott is out of town?
2. What word scares Carol in Chapter 3, Part III?
3. What color scarf does Carol knit for her husband?
4. Carol is described as being the most what in her college class?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 8, Carol begs to learn about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. The library board shocks Carol. Why?
2. How does Dr. Kennicott react to Maud's invitation and why does he follow through?
3. Describe Carol's time in Washington.
4. When Carol visits Guy Pollock for the first time, what simple gestures suddenly appear heightened?
5. Carol and the women at the bridge game argue about the maids' wages. Why?
6. The novel Main Street declares what as the "great mystery about a human being?"
7. What is Hugh's reaction upon Carol's description of what lies ahead for them, outside of Gopher Prairie?
8. Describe Main Street in Gopher Prairie.
9. What is the reaction of the town when Bea and Olaf die?
10. What surprises Carol at the first meeting of the dramatic society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Main Street" is set in a time period where women begin to have freedom and options other than marriage. Analyze the various women who appear in the first several chapters of "Main Street" and how they reflect the time period of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In order to avoid facing the dull reality of her life, Carol often relies on fantasy. Discuss the various fantasies Carol puts to use to make her life in Gopher Prairie bearable.
Essay Topic 3
Although Carol spends much of her time in Gopher Prairie complaining about the town, there are things that she grows to love. Analyze the different aspects of Gopher Prairie Carol appreciates and why.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)