|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does a boy on the train play?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 8, Carol begs to learn about what?
3. When Gopher Prairie was founded, how many houses were put up?
4. What depresses Carol about the farmers on the train?
5. In Chapter 11, what public building does Carol mentally remodel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "great change" happens to Carol in Chapter 19?
2. What is Hugh's reaction upon Carol's description of what lies ahead for them, outside of Gopher Prairie?
3. Once Carol has her child, how does her life change?
4. Describe the characters of Uncle Whittier and Aunt Bessie.
5. What does Carol feel is missing in her marriage and how does she try to correct it?
6. When Carol visits Minneapolis, she is worried that the porter at the hotel thinks she is what? Why is this significant?
7. When does Vida Sherwin's relationship with Carol become surprising?
8. How does Carol imagine the war will affect Gopher Prairie's conversation? What is the actual outcome?
9. What makes Carol return to Gopher Prairie for good?
10. How does Carol react to the poem Erik writes for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carol's marriage to Dr. Kennicott and her move to Gopher Prairie is partly due to his suggestion that Carol can reform the town. Discuss the various ways Carol tries to live up this suggestion and whether her actions get results.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Carol and Erik.
Part 1) How does the relationship begin?
Part 2) When does the relationship become serious?
Part 3) How does the relationship in?
Essay Topic 3
Upon moving to Gopher Prairie, Carol makes snap judgments about the citizens who live there, based on the words of a few.
Part 1) What misconceptions does Carol make about the citizens of Gopher Prairie?
Part 2) What are moments in the text where Carol realizes she was too hasty a judge?
Part 3) How does Carol's opinion of the citizens of Gopher Prairie change as she gets to know them?
This section contains 1,529 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)