|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mrs. Vopni's husband killed?
2. Where do Carol and Dr. Kennicott purchase a summer home?
3. What type of pelt makes Carol think of Guy's mustache?
4. In Carol's college, the girls who are not engaged plan to do what?
5. What is unique about the suit Carol wears in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
2. Why does Carol panic when she arrives in Gopher Prairie?
3. What is the reaction of the town when Bea and Olaf die?
4. Carol goes through a phase where she loves being a housewife. Why?
5. When Carol hosts a salon, what is the result?
6. When Carol moves to town, how do the other women feel about her and why?
7. Why does Carol start a dramatic society?
8. What drives Carol to go to Los Angeles?
9. The library board shocks Carol. Why?
10. Why does Carol fight with her husband after her meeting with Guy Pollock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Injustice is not uncommon in Gopher Prairie. Identify and analyze some of the injustices that are accepted and appear throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Kennicott is a cornerstone of the community, due to his medical experience. How is the medical community portrayed in "Main Street"?
Part 1) Discuss the type of medicine Dr. Kennicott practices.
Part 2) Analyze the type of patients Dr. Kennicott serves.
Part 3) Determine the level of purpose Dr. Kennicott's profession gives him in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Although Carol spends much of her time in Gopher Prairie complaining about the town, there are things that she grows to love. Analyze the different aspects of Gopher Prairie Carol appreciates and why.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)