|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carol is described as being the most what in her college class?
2. What word scares Carol in Chapter 3, Part III?
3. In Chapter 12, what type of group does Carol start?
4. At what age does Carol say she could have kissed Guy Pollock?
5. How was Mrs. Vopni's husband killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Carol return to Gopher Prairie for good?
2. What does Carol discover as the only sensible response to the tyranny of any small town like Gopher Prairie?
3. How does Dr. Kennicott react to Maud's invitation and why does he follow through?
4. What is Carol's response to the film "Right on the Coco"?
5. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
6. During the summer, where do the women of Gopher Prairie leave their petty concerns behind?
7. When does Vida Sherwin's relationship with Carol become surprising?
8. How does Carol feel about Dr. Kennicott when she first meets him?
9. The library board shocks Carol. Why?
10. What is Carol worried about when she leaves from first private talk with Guy Pollock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character Carol and her expectations at the beginning of "Main Street."
Part 1) What are her expectations for her life?
Part 2) What are her expectations for other people?
Part 3) What are her expectations for the world?
Essay Topic 2
In "Main Street," the Jolly Seventeen is a group of women claiming to be the elite of Gopher Prairie.
Part 1) Analyze the women who lead the Jolly Seventeen.
Part 2) In what way do the actions of the Jolly Seventeen affect the citizens Gopher Prairie?
Part 3) How does Carol change thanks to the Jolly Seventeen?
Essay Topic 3
Choose from one of the following characters. Determine which character is the most toxic to Carol and why.
Part 1) Dr. Kennicott.
Part 2) Mrs. Bogart.
Part 3) Vida.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)