|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shoes does Carol where on the train?
2. What does Dr. Kennicott encourage Carol to do to Gopher Prairie?
3. What does Carol choose not to do in Chapter 10, for fear of judgment?
4. What part of Carol's body does Cy comment on to Earl?
5. What is the train Carol and Dr. Kennicott take to Gopher Prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carol fight with her husband after her meeting with Guy Pollock?
2. What makes Carol return to Gopher Prairie for good?
3. Through what club does Carol first feel like she might be able to make a difference in Gopher Prairie?
4. The library board shocks Carol. Why?
5. During the summer, where do the women of Gopher Prairie leave their petty concerns behind?
6. In Chapter 24, Carol has strong opinions on how she is treated by others. How does she respond to these emotions?
7. Mrs. Bogart raised her sons to be good Christian boys. How do they turn out?
8. What upsets Carol the first time she walks about the Main Street?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Carol worry about, in terms of her relationships in the town?
10. In Carol's eyes, how does the country compare to Main Street, and when does she determine this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the relationship between Carol and the Smails.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Kennicott is a cornerstone of the community, due to his medical experience. How is the medical community portrayed in "Main Street"?
Part 1) Discuss the type of medicine Dr. Kennicott practices.
Part 2) Analyze the type of patients Dr. Kennicott serves.
Part 3) Determine the level of purpose Dr. Kennicott's profession gives him in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Carol is the main character in the novel "Main Street" and goes through many changes throughout the story. Who is Carol...
Part 1) When she first arrives in Gopher Prairie?
Part 2) When she leaves for D.C.?
Part 3) When she returns to Gopher Prairie?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)