|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carol asks for an allowance for what item?
2. What could have blown up Dr. Kennicott and Carol during the amputation?
3. How long does it take Carol to walk the town?
4. In Chapter 10, Carol prepares what in hopes of visitors?
5. What depresses Carol about the farmers on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the train ride Carol takes in Chapter 3, how are the passengers described?
2. When Miles leaves town, what does he do and how does the town react?
3. What surprises Carol at the first meeting of the dramatic society?
4. During the summer, where do the women of Gopher Prairie leave their petty concerns behind?
5. Why does Carol choose not to plan for a new home?
6. Describe the character Carol.
7. How does Carol feel about Dr. Kennicott when she first meets him?
8. When Carol hosts a salon, what is the result?
9. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
10. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Carol tries to conform to what is expected in Gopher Prairie, she does not always remain with a conventional set of friends. Discuss the various characters Carol has befriended and why. Include...
1. Guy Pollock.
3. The Red Swede.
Essay Topic 2
Carol is the main character in the novel "Main Street" and goes through many changes throughout the story. Who is Carol...
Part 1) When she first arrives in Gopher Prairie?
Part 2) When she leaves for D.C.?
Part 3) When she returns to Gopher Prairie?
Essay Topic 3
Ambition is a human characteristic that causes people to act. Chronicle the ambition of those who appear in "Main Street" and how that ambition or lack of it affects the lifestyle they live.
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)