|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Carol meet through the Marburys?
2. What type of shoes does Carol where on the train?
3. Where does Dr. Kennicott take Carol at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 5, Carol refers to Dr. Kennicott as what?
5. Who arrives in town the same time that Carol does?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Miles leaves town, what does he do and how does the town react?
2. In Chapter 24, Carol has strong opinions on how she is treated by others. How does she respond to these emotions?
3. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
4. On the train ride Carol takes in Chapter 3, how are the passengers described?
5. Describe the character Carol.
6. When first Erik comes to town, why do people make fun of him? How does Carol react to this?
7. When Carol hosts a salon, what is the result?
8. Why does Carol choose not to plan for a new home?
9. What does Carol feel is missing in her marriage and how does she try to correct it?
10. The novel Main Street declares what as the "great mystery about a human being?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Kennicott is a cornerstone of the community, due to his medical experience. How is the medical community portrayed in "Main Street"?
Part 1) Discuss the type of medicine Dr. Kennicott practices.
Part 2) Analyze the type of patients Dr. Kennicott serves.
Part 3) Determine the level of purpose Dr. Kennicott's profession gives him in his life.
Essay Topic 2
"Main Street" is set in a time period where women begin to have freedom and options other than marriage. Analyze the various women who appear in the first several chapters of "Main Street" and how they reflect the time period of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Carol and Erik.
Part 1) How does the relationship begin?
Part 2) When does the relationship become serious?
Part 3) How does the relationship in?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)