|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Carol's body does Cy comment on to Earl?
2. Who lost money due to investing in an elevator?
3. Where do Carol and Dr. Kennicott purchase a summer home?
4. What type of pelt makes Carol think of Guy's mustache?
5. In what month does Carol move to Gopher Prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Carol hosts a salon, what is the result?
2. What is Carol worried about when she leaves from first private talk with Guy Pollock?
3. What is Carol's response to the film "Right on the Coco"?
4. Why does Carol panic when she arrives in Gopher Prairie?
5. Why does Carol choose not to plan for a new home?
6. At what point does Carol make the decision that she has to stop being embarrassed about the gossip and make a place for herself in the town?
7. Once Carol has her child, how does her life change?
8. Why does Carol fight with her husband after her meeting with Guy Pollock?
9. The townspeople often ask Carol is she "finds Gopher Prairie pleasing." Why is their interest ironic?
10. What is the Village Virus and who describes it to Carol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carol's marriage to Dr. Kennicott and her move to Gopher Prairie is partly due to his suggestion that Carol can reform the town. Discuss the various ways Carol tries to live up this suggestion and whether her actions get results.
Essay Topic 2
Although Carol tries to conform to what is expected in Gopher Prairie, she does not always remain with a conventional set of friends. Discuss the various characters Carol has befriended and why. Include...
1. Guy Pollock.
3. The Red Swede.
Essay Topic 3
Choose from one of the following characters. Determine which character is the most toxic to Carol and why.
Part 1) Dr. Kennicott.
Part 2) Mrs. Bogart.
Part 3) Vida.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)