|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the winter, after shopping, what does Carol do on the city streets that shocks the town?
(a) She sings.
(b) She gallops and whoops.
(c) She kisses a stranger.
(d) She doesn't wear a coat.
2. What does The Red Swede do for a living?
3. In Chapter 5, Carol refers to Dr. Kennicott as what?
(a) Mr. Capitalist.
(b) The Almighty Doctor.
(c) The Lord of the Manor.
(d) Dr. Inspiration.
4. In Chapter 10, Carol feels like her house is what?
5. Who does Carol meet through the Marburys?
(a) Dr. Kennicott.
(b) Harry Haydock.
(c) Stewart Snyder.
(d) A film star.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in town the same time that Carol does?
2. How does The Red Swede make money in the spring?
3. What card game is frequently played by the in-crowd?
4. Where do Carol and Dr. Kennicott purchase a summer home?
5. In Chapter 10, who does Carol have supper with?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Carol visits Guy Pollock for the first time, what simple gestures suddenly appear heightened?
2. Describe the character Carol.
3. What is the Village Virus and who describes it to Carol?
4. What is Carol's family background and how does this affect her financial situation?
5. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Carol worry about, in terms of her relationships in the town?
7. Carol and the women at the bridge game argue about the maids' wages. Why?
8. What role does Carol play at the beginning of Chapter 15 and why?
9. Why does Carol choose not to plan for a new home?
10. What is Hugh's reaction upon Carol's description of what lies ahead for them, outside of Gopher Prairie?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)