|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Carol consider a most "considerate" host?
(a) The Red Swede.
(c) Mrs. Haydock.
(d) Mrs. Bogart.
2. What does Carol's new home smell like?
(b) Florida Water.
(c) Horse hair.
(d) All answers are correct.
3. Who does Carol meet through the Marburys?
(a) A film star.
(b) Stewart Snyder.
(c) Dr. Kennicott.
(d) Harry Haydock.
4. What does Dr. Kennicott encourage Carol to do to Gopher Prairie?
(a) Make it artistic.
(b) Write about it.
(c) Burn it down.
(d) Paint it.
5. At what age does Carol say she could have kissed Guy Pollock?
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Carol play?
2. What surrounds Main Street?
3. How does The Red Swede make money in the spring?
4. After learning that the town speaks of her, Carol wants comfort from whom?
5. What is the train Carol and Dr. Kennicott take to Gopher Prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hugh's reaction upon Carol's description of what lies ahead for them, outside of Gopher Prairie?
2. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
3. Carol goes through a phase where she loves being a housewife. Why?
4. The novel Main Street declares what as the "great mystery about a human being?"
5. What "great change" happens to Carol in Chapter 19?
6. What is Fern accused of by Mrs. Bogart and what is the effect on Fern?
7. In Carol's eyes, how does the country compare to Main Street, and when does she determine this?
8. Mrs. Bogart raised her sons to be good Christian boys. How do they turn out?
9. How does the Christmas holiday affect Carol?
10. How does Carol react to the poem Erik writes for her?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)