|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has the Village Virus?
(a) Mrs. Perry.
(c) Guy Pollock.
(d) Dr. Kennicott.
2. In Chapter 15, what role does Carol attempt to perfect?
(a) A foolish socialite.
(b) The wife of a country physician.
(c) A brave mother.
(d) The perfect daughter-in-law.
3. What surrounds Main Street?
(a) City streets.
(b) The prairie.
(d) Fields of corn.
4. At what age does Carol say she could have kissed Guy Pollock?
5. What vice of Dr. Kennicott's does Carol despise?
(c) Chewing tobacco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carol wish for at the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. What song does a boy on the train play?
3. Where does Carol live following her time at college?
4. After learning that the town speaks of her, Carol wants comfort from whom?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Carol have an impulse to do, when talking to Guy Pollock?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
2. Why does Dr. Kennicott want Carol to shop at a different grocery store than the one she has been using? How does she feel about this?
3. Why does Carol fight with her husband after her meeting with Guy Pollock?
4. Once Carol has her child, how does her life change?
5. What does Carol discover as the only sensible response to the tyranny of any small town like Gopher Prairie?
6. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
7. Why does Carol start a dramatic society?
8. What drives Carol to go to Los Angeles?
9. Carol goes through a phase where she loves being a housewife. Why?
10. When Carol visits Minneapolis, she is worried that the porter at the hotel thinks she is what? Why is this significant?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)