|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What depresses Carol about the farmers on the train?
(a) They leer at her.
(b) They all read books.
(c) They seem provincial.
(d) They are drunk.
2. What instrument does Carol play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The drums.
(c) The harp.
(d) The harmonica.
3. What heinous act against an animal does Cy commit that Carol witnesses?
(a) Shooting a dog.
(b) Stepping on a mouse.
(c) Hanging a cat.
(d) Scaring a horse.
4. What is Carol's relationship to money?
(a) She is extravagant.
(b) She is obsessed with it.
(c) She dislikes it.
(d) She is stingy.
5. What modern convenience does Dr. Kennicott recommend for the Dutch?
(c) Running water.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Carol see Gopher Prairie for the first time?
2. Who arrives in town the same time that Carol does?
3. How long does it take Carol to walk the town?
4. How does Dr. Kennicott describe the party hosts at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What is the train Carol and Dr. Kennicott take to Gopher Prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the town react to the disastrous play performance?
2. The townspeople often talk about money. What are some examples of this and how it affects Carol?
3. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
4. How does Carol react to the poem Erik writes for her?
5. At what point does Carol make the decision that she has to stop being embarrassed about the gossip and make a place for herself in the town?
6. The townspeople often ask Carol is she "finds Gopher Prairie pleasing." Why is their interest ironic?
7. Why does Dr. Kennicott want Carol to shop at a different grocery store than the one she has been using? How does she feel about this?
8. How does the Christmas holiday affect Carol?
9. What influence does Carol feel a doctor should exercise in his community?
10. How does Carol feel about Dr. Kennicott when she first meets him?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)