|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Kennicott describe the party hosts at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 15, what role does Carol attempt to perfect?
(a) The wife of a country physician.
(b) A brave mother.
(c) The perfect daughter-in-law.
(d) A foolish socialite.
3. After learning that the town speaks of her, Carol wants comfort from whom?
(a) Dr. Kennicott.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her sister.
4. How much money does Bea hope to make as a maid?
(a) One hundred dollars a month.
(b) Two dollars a day.
(c) Six dollars a week.
(d) Fifty dollars a month.
5. How was Mrs. Vopni's husband killed?
(a) By a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What depresses Carol about the farmers on the train?
2. What color ties do the delinquents in town wear?
3. In Chapter 5, Carol refers to Dr. Kennicott as what?
4. What does Carol choose not to do in Chapter 10, for fear of judgment?
5. What does Carol wish for at the beginning of Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carol's response to the film "Right on the Coco"?
2. What influence does Carol feel a doctor should exercise in his community?
3. What does Carol discover as the only sensible response to the tyranny of any small town like Gopher Prairie?
4. In what way does Carol try to convince herself Gopher Prairie is like New York?
5. How does Maud attempt to lure Dr. Kennicott to her home?
6. Through what club does Carol first feel like she might be able to make a difference in Gopher Prairie?
7. In Carol's eyes, how does the country compare to Main Street, and when does she determine this?
8. What "great change" happens to Carol in Chapter 19?
9. Why is Vida interested in Raymie?
10. Once Carol has her child, how does her life change?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)