|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Dr. Kennicott's office described?
2. When Gopher Prairie was founded, how many houses were put up?
(d) One hundred.
3. In Chapter 11, what public building does Carol mentally remodel?
(a) The school.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The library.
(d) The church.
4. If farmers controlled Dr. Kennicott's rate, he's concerned they'd do what?
(a) Put him on salary.
(b) Tax 50% of his profits.
(c) Make him a rich man.
(d) Make him work for free.
5. Who lost money due to investing in an elevator?
(a) The Mayberrys.
(b) The Kennicotts.
(c) The Goulds.
(d) The Perrys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Kennicott describe the party hosts at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Who invites Carol and Dr. Kennicott over at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 5, Carol refers to Dr. Kennicott as what?
4. In what way does Carol see Gopher Prairie for the first time?
5. What heinous act against an animal does Cy commit that Carol witnesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drives Carol to go to Los Angeles?
2. During the summer, where do the women of Gopher Prairie leave their petty concerns behind?
3. In Chapter 24, Carol has strong opinions on how she is treated by others. How does she respond to these emotions?
4. How does Maud attempt to lure Dr. Kennicott to her home?
5. Why does Carol start a dramatic society?
6. Mrs. Bogart raised her sons to be good Christian boys. How do they turn out?
7. In Carol's eyes, how does the country compare to Main Street, and when does she determine this?
8. What makes Carol return to Gopher Prairie for good?
9. What does Carol discover as the only sensible response to the tyranny of any small town like Gopher Prairie?
10. When first Erik comes to town, why do people make fun of him? How does Carol react to this?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)