|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color scarf does Carol knit for her husband?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Carol treat the townspeople?
(a) She is fake.
(b) She is rude.
(c) She is extra friendly.
(d) She avoids them.
3. Carol asks for an allowance for what item?
(d) A dress.
4. Who first tells Carol that the town gossips about her?
(a) Dr. Kennicott.
(b) Maud Dyer.
(c) Mrs. Haydock.
(d) Vida Sherwin.
5. For what occasion does Dr. Kennicott think he was given a scarf?
(d) Valentine's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Carol and Dr. Kennicott purchase a summer home?
2. What is Carol's relationship to money?
3. In what city does Main Street open?
4. What does Carol choose not to do in Chapter 10, for fear of judgment?
5. In Chapter 10, Carol feels like her house is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the train ride Carol takes in Chapter 3, how are the passengers described?
2. In what way does Carol try to convince herself Gopher Prairie is like New York?
3. The library board shocks Carol. Why?
4. When Dr. and Mrs. Kennicott return home, what is the response?
5. What is Fern accused of by Mrs. Bogart and what is the effect on Fern?
6. What is Carol worried about when she leaves from first private talk with Guy Pollock?
7. When Carol visits Guy Pollock for the first time, what simple gestures suddenly appear heightened?
8. What influence does Carol feel a doctor should exercise in his community?
9. Through what club does Carol first feel like she might be able to make a difference in Gopher Prairie?
10. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)