|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Thantopsis?
(a) The library.
(b) A woman's study group.
(c) The choir.
(d) Dr. Kennicott's nurse's society.
2. How does The Red Swede make money in the spring?
(a) Selling horses.
(c) Selling vegetables.
(d) Training horses.
3. What does Carol choose not to do in Chapter 10, for fear of judgment?
(a) Help the poor.
(b) Eat dessert.
(c) Talk of her husband.
(d) Drink at dinner.
4. What surrounds Main Street?
(a) The prairie.
(b) City streets.
(c) Fields of corn.
5. If farmers controlled Dr. Kennicott's rate, he's concerned they'd do what?
(a) Put him on salary.
(b) Make him work for free.
(c) Tax 50% of his profits.
(d) Make him a rich man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Carol refers to Dr. Kennicott as what?
2. Carol asks for an allowance for what item?
3. What does Mrs. Dyer hate?
4. Carol feels Dr. Kennicott is too what?
5. How does Dr. Kennicott describe the party hosts at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the town when Bea and Olaf die?
2. In Chapter 24, Carol has strong opinions on how she is treated by others. How does she respond to these emotions?
3. When and why do the women at the bridge club decide to accept Carol?
4. Mrs. Bogart raised her sons to be good Christian boys. How do they turn out?
5. What makes Carol return to Gopher Prairie for good?
6. What is Hugh's reaction upon Carol's description of what lies ahead for them, outside of Gopher Prairie?
7. In Carol's eyes, how does the country compare to Main Street, and when does she determine this?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Carol worry about, in terms of her relationships in the town?
9. How does the Christmas holiday affect Carol?
10. When Miles leaves town, what does he do and how does the town react?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)