Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Carol feels like her house is what?
2. After learning that the town speaks of her, Carol wants comfort from whom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Dr. Kennicott.
(c) Her sister.
3. Who does Carol meet through the Marburys?
(a) A film star.
(b) Harry Haydock.
(c) Dr. Kennicott.
(d) Stewart Snyder.
4. How does The Red Swede make money in the spring?
(a) Selling vegetables.
(b) Selling horses.
(c) Training horses.
5. Why does Carol call on the Perrys when Dr. Kennicott is out of town?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the suit Carol wears in Chapter 9?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Carol treat the townspeople?
3. What type of operation does Dr. Kennicott perform in a Dutch woman's kitchen?
4. What type of pelt makes Carol think of Guy's mustache?
5. In Chapter 10, Carol prepares what in hopes of visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maud attempt to lure Dr. Kennicott to her home?
2. When Dr. and Mrs. Kennicott return home, what is the response?
3. What is the reaction of the town when Bea and Olaf die?
4. Carol and the women at the bridge game argue about the maids' wages. Why?
5. What is Hugh's reaction upon Carol's description of what lies ahead for them, outside of Gopher Prairie?
6. What surprises Carol at the first meeting of the dramatic society?
7. In what way does Carol try to convince herself Gopher Prairie is like New York?
8. The library board shocks Carol. Why?
9. When Carol suggests studying something other than the Bible in the Thanatopsis meeting, the novel refers to it as Mrs. Dr. Kennicott "showing off." Why?
10. When first Erik comes to town, why do people make fun of him? How does Carol react to this?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)