|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Percy Bresnahan's company?
(a) Velvet Motor Car Company of Boston.
(b) Gilded Cages of Percy's Perfection.
(c) American Rides.
(d) Ford and Percy Motors.
2. Why is Carol embarrassed to walk with Mrs. Flickerbaugh?
(a) She walks with a limp.
(b) Dr. Kennicott has a crush on her.
(c) Mrs. Flickerbaugh's unusual outfit.
(d) Carol doesn't like her.
3. Who is Hugh named after?
(a) Carol's father.
(b) Carol's dead brother.
(c) Dr. Kennicott's father.
(d) A poet Carol loves.
4. What does Miles do, following Bea's death?
(a) He leaves town.
(b) He goes back to school.
(c) He lives with the Kennicotts.
(d) He burns down his house.
5. Who do Carol and Dr. Kennicott run into in Minneapolis?
(b) Mrs. Bogart.
(c) The Dyers.
(d) The McGanums.
6. Following Hugh's birth, what is the biggest event for Carol?
(a) Dr. Kennicott's reluctance to have more children.
(b) Carol's fortieth birthday.
(c) The demolition of the town hall.
(d) Vida's wedding.
7. Who is Carol excited to call after returning from vacation?
(d) No one.
8. Who tarnishes Fern's reputation?
(c) Mrs. Bogart.
9. What does the in-crowd refer to newcomer Erik as?
10. How old is Vida when she marries?
11. What type of review does the theater group's play receive in the paper?
(a) A dishonest, glowing review.
(b) Well-deserved praise.
(c) An embarrassing review.
(d) A lukewarm review.
12. When the women of the town finally call on Bea when she is ill, how does Miles react?
(a) He starts to cry.
(b) He invites them in.
(c) He sends them away.
(d) He thanks them for their kindness.
13. Who appoints Carol to the library board?
(a) Guy Pollock.
(b) Ole Jenson.
(c) Lyman Cass.
(d) Dr. Westlake.
14. Carol fears what, if she were to ask Dr. Kennicott for independence?
(d) A beating.
15. In Chapter 16, who flirts with Bea?
(a) Dr. Kennicott.
(b) Guy Pollock.
(d) The Red Swede.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of good deal does Dr. Kennicott make that he will not explain to Carol?
2. What does Dr. Kennicott wish Carol would borrow, not buy?
3. What does Erik want to do for a living?
4. What nickname does Dr. Kennicott call Carol?
5. Who moves into Carol's home?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)