|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appoints Carol to the library board?
(a) Dr. Westlake.
(b) Guy Pollock.
(c) Lyman Cass.
(d) Ole Jenson.
2. In Chapter 20, why does Carol decide she's "part of the town"?
(a) The Kennicott name is engraved in a church pew.
(b) The Kennicotts are added to the census sign.
(c) She feels controlled by the town's mindset and fights.
(d) The town honors her anniversary of living there.
3. When his wife dies, Carol discovers Champ where?
(a) In her house.
(b) On a ledge.
(c) Lying across his wife's grave.
(d) On the railroad tracks.
4. Why does the shopkeeper want to sell Carol something better?
(a) He has a crush on her.
(b) She is the doctor's wife.
(c) He does not like Carol.
(d) He knows the codfish is bad.
5. Percy Bresnahan tells Carol they should have lunch where?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Boston.
(c) At his hotel.
(d) At his mother's.
6. What does Carol receive for Christmas at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) A pearl necklace.
(b) A sapphire bracelet.
(c) A ruby pendant.
(d) A diamond bar-pin.
7. What nickname does Dr. Kennicott call Carol?
8. Following Hugh's birth, what is the biggest event for Carol?
(a) Vida's wedding.
(b) The demolition of the town hall.
(c) Dr. Kennicott's reluctance to have more children.
(d) Carol's fortieth birthday.
9. Who sends Raymie to an officer's training camp?
(d) Dr. Kennicott.
10. What game does Carol resent the men for playing without her?
(b) All of the above.
11. In Chapter 21, what does Vida accuse Raymie of?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) "Flirting" with Carol.
(c) A dependence on liquor.
(d) Being "too apologetic."
12. How many times a week does Dr. Kennicott shave?
13. In Chapter 24, what piece of clothing does Carol compare her life to?
(a) Her wedding dress.
(b) Guy Pollocks yellow tie.
(c) Bea's socks.
(d) Dr. Kennicott's hunting coat.
14. What type of liquor is Fern accused of abusing?
15. Who is Hugh named after?
(a) A poet Carol loves.
(b) Carol's dead brother.
(c) Carol's father.
(d) Dr. Kennicott's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Percy Bresnahan hold at his company?
2. What instrument lies useless in Carol's home?
3. What weather greets the Kennicotts when they return from vacation?
4. Carol tells Vida she can only be happy with what out of Gopher Prairie?
5. What woman invites Dr. Kennicott over for a beer?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)