Chapters 1, 2, and 3
* Carol attends college in Minneapolis and wonders what to do with her future.
* Although she receives a marriage proposal, Carol claims marriage is not for her.
* Carol moves to Chicago and finds the Bohemian lifestyle she idolized is not for her.
* Carol moves to St. Paul and works in the library for three years.
* After meeting Dr. Kennicott, Carol gets engaged and moves to Gopher Prairie.
Chapters 4, 5, and 6
* After observing the bleak state of Main Street, Carol questions her move.
* The Clarks throw a party to welcome Carol to town.
* Carol brings up elevated topics at the party, but the conversation remains dull.
* Carol makes a close friend in Vida Sherwin.
* After remodeling her house and discussing politics, Carol becomes the subject of gossip around town.
* Carol hosts an exotic party with a Chinese theme.
* The guests enjoy the party and it receives a glowing review...
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)