Chapters 1, 2, and 3
• Carol attends college in Minneapolis and wonders what to do with her future.
• Although she receives a marriage proposal, Carol claims marriage is not for her.
• Carol moves to Chicago and finds the Bohemian lifestyle she idolized is not for her.
• Carol moves to St. Paul and works in the library for three years.
• After meeting Dr. Kennicott, Carol gets engaged and moves to Gopher Prairie.
Chapters 4, 5, and 6
• After observing the bleak state of Main Street, Carol questions her move.
• The Clarks throw a party to welcome Carol to town.
• Carol brings up elevated topics at the party, but the conversation remains dull.
• Carol makes a close friend in Vida Sherwin.
• After remodeling her house and discussing politics, Carol becomes the subject of gossip around town.
• Carol hosts an exotic party with a Chinese theme.
• The guests enjoy the party and it receives a glowing review...
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)