|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the dragon boat sad to be returning to Zelda's house?
2. Where is Simon being held?
3. Why did Simon slip away from Sarah and the others?
4. Who does DomDaniel have on his ship?
5. How does the apprentice escape again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Marcia send the apprentice boy when she comes back from a walk to discover him in the cottage with the others, and why?
2. Why does Sarah allow herself to be talked into going to the Midwinter feast day by Galen?
3. What does Marcia explain to Boy 412 about the ring that he found?
4. Why is Marcia unable to return to the Keeper's Cottage that night?
5. What happens to the Marsh Python when the Big Thaw finally begins?
6. What does Alther tell Jenna, Nicko, and Boy 412?
7. What kinds of preparations are done before the Big Freeze?
8. Where is the body of DomDaniel's apprentice found, and in what condition?
9. What do Jenna, Nicko, and Boy 412 find when they wake the next morning and chase the hunter's apprentice, hoping to catch up with him before he can tell anyone where the Keeper's Cottage is?
10. What does the large surge of water created by DomDaniel reveal on the marsh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't Silas return with Marcia's SafeKeeping? Where does he get stopped and why? What are the circumstances of his incarceration? Who visits him regularly? Why is Silas unshackled? Why does Silas waffle when he discovers the unlocked door?
Essay Topic 2
How does DomDaniel's apprentice escape? In which direction is he headed, and why? What does he encounter along the way that gets on his nerves? Where does he finally manage to arrive? What does he report and to whom? What happens as a result?
Essay Topic 3
How does Boy 412 feel about Marcia and the others? What is his initial response to them, and why? What was his education? What events or behaviors change his mind? What is one of the first differences he notices? When does he make the decision that he never wants to return to the Young Army? What does he finally begin to do at that stage?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)