|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up at the former Heap residence, and why is he there?
2. What changes are made before Stanley leaves?
3. What new occupation do they give him?
4. Who does the Shield Bug attack when it accidentally gets free?
5. Who does Stanley finally reveal his message is for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Stanley, the Message Rat, after Mad Jack cages him?
2. Why is Marcia unable to return to the Keeper's Cottage that night?
3. What kind of food is served at a Midwinter feast day celebration, and where does it come from?
4. What does the large surge of water created by DomDaniel reveal on the marsh?
5. How does Aunt Zelda manage to heal DomDaniel's apprentice?
6. Why does Sarah allow herself to be talked into going to the Midwinter feast day by Galen?
7. How does Boy 412 feel when the hunter's apprentice is brought in, and why?
8. What or who did the Hunter bring with him other than his apprentice to guard his prisoners on the way back to the castle?
9. What does DomDaniel do when he senses the presence of Jenna and Boy 412?
10. Where does Marcia send the apprentice boy when she comes back from a walk to discover him in the cottage with the others, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the first to realize that there is someone else on the boat? What countermeasures are taken, and how effective are they? What is the damage done by the attempts to stop Jenna, Nicko, and Boy 412?
Essay Topic 2
How does Boy 412 feel about Marcia and the others? What is his initial response to them, and why? What was his education? What events or behaviors change his mind? What is one of the first differences he notices? When does he make the decision that he never wants to return to the Young Army? What does he finally begin to do at that stage?
Essay Topic 3
Boy 412 finally accepts an invitation to be Marcia's apprentice. What are the terms? What does she provide him upon his acceptance as part of the tradition handed down? What does he ask for as his one 'Anything He Wants' offer from Marcia? What does he discover as a result? How does he feel about it?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)