|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lion ask Digory to fetch and why?
2. What distinctive piece of clothing does the Cabby wear?
3. Who is the first to wake up in the morning?
4. Which of the following coins does not fall out of Uncle Andrew's pocket?
5. How far away is the Lion from Digory and the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
2. What does Digory have to do and why?
3. What does Strawberry the horse remember about his old life in London?
4. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
5. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
6. What things show that the place they have come to is a new world that is just beginning?
7. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
8. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
9. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
10. Where do the dwarfs obtain the materials to make the crowns from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Magician's Nephew raises the topic of animal rights and animal experimentation. What attitude does the author seem to take on this topic? Use examples from the novel to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Magician's Nephew has, as one of its key themes, the antithesis between life and death/destruction. Describe two or three ways that theme is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew. Which force is shown to predominate?
Essay Topic 3
Problems and overcoming problems are very important to create plot tension. Describe one problem faced by a character in The Magician's Nephew and explain how this problem is overcome.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)