|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What actions had made Uncle Andrew hate and fear animals even more than in the past?
2. What does the Lion do that surprises Digory?
3. What begins to grow on the higher slopes of the distant mountains?
4. What had Fledge and Polly originally planned to do on reaching the garden?
5. What does Aslan ask Digory to tell the other councilors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things show that the place they have come to is a new world that is just beginning?
2. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
3. What disturbs Fledge and the children at night?
4. Why does Digory suggest that Polly use her ring to go home?
5. What does the Lion do that Digory does not expect?
6. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
7. What does Digory have to do and why?
8. What does the author suggest that Polly did at the river?
9. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
10. Which animals and creatures does Aslan call apart and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Digory is by far one of the most complex and developed characters in The Magician's Nephew, with a blend of good and bad motives. Explain the sides of his character more fully and state why he is considered to be more of a "good" character rather than an evil one.
1. Describe some examples of his actions that come from good motives
2. Describe some examples of his actions that come from bad motives
3. Describe what action or actions he takes that make him stand out clearly as a character on the side of goodness.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Aslan is often thought of as representing God in an allegorical form. What are some things that he says or does that support this interpretation? Do any of his actions or things that he says contradict this view?
Essay Topic 3
The Cabby is chosen to be the first King of Narnia. What aspects of his character will make him a good king? In your answer, refer to some examples other than the scene in Chapter 11 where Aslan questions the Cabby.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)