|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which season did the Cabby find the most unpleasant for him to work in?
2. Which of the following does Digory not see in the landscape when he looks west?
3. What does the Lion do that surprises Digory?
4. How many policemen does Jadis knock out using the bar from the lamp-post?
5. Which facial feature does the Elephant not recognize Uncle Andrew as having?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does the Witch use to try to persuade Digory to eat the apple himself or take it home to his mother? Give at least two for each.
2. What does the Cabby think has happened?
3. What is the first clue that the travelers are nearing the orchard where Digory has to pick the apple?
4. Which animals and creatures does Aslan call apart and why?
5. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
6. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
7. Why does Digory suggest that Polly use her ring to go home?
8. Why does Aslan transform Strawberry into a flying horse and re-name him?
9. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
10. What are Pollly and Digory concerned about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mountain garden where Digory takes the Apple of Life from is intended to represent or be the Narnian equivalent of the Garden of Eden. Describe the mountain garden in your own words, and explain what it does and does not have in common with the mythical Garden of Eden.
(Note: if appropriate, another mythological or legendary garden can be substituted for the Garden of Eden).
Essay Topic 2
Compare Digory's house in London at the start of the book and what it is like at the end. How has the house changed? Consider physical changes, and also symbolic changes with respect to the theme of Life versus Death.
Part 1: Describe Digory's house at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2: Describe how Digory's house changes by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Jadis is referred to as being an evil witch. Is this view of her justified? State why or why not, and give examples to back your answer.
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)