|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Cabby's wife doing when Aslan calls her into Narnia?
2. What do Digory and Polly see to the south from the air?
3. What happens to the Cabby's voice as he speaks with Aslan?
4. Which season did the Cabby find the most unpleasant for him to work in?
5. Which of the following characters does not get dragged into the Wood Between the Worlds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the first joke in your own words.
2. What happens to the iron bar the Witch tore off the lamp-post?
3. Why do the animals not know what Uncle Andrew is?
4. What arguments are put forward by the animals regarding which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be planted?
5. What does the Cabby think has happened?
6. How does the song affect the characters?
7. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
8. What things show that the place they have come to is a new world that is just beginning?
9. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
10. What does Digory have to do and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of C.S. Lewis's works, both fictional and non-fictional, selfishness and being self-centered is associated very strongly with evil. Explain some ways that this idea is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Andrew is a sinister character at the start of the novel, but later on, he is more of a comic figure. Explain some of the ways that Uncle Andrew is used to provide comic relief or humor in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 3
Charn is where Jadis, the personification of the powers of death and destruction comes from. Describe Charn and explain how this setting is also symbolic of death and destruction.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)