|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animals look like trees when they first appear?
2. Why wasn't Uncle Andrew able to hear the animals talking?
3. What color are the fruits on the toffee tree?
4. Which ring does Uncle Andrew try to steal from Digory?
5. In which direction is the Lion walking as it sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author suggest that Polly did at the river?
2. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
3. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
4. Explain the first joke in your own words.
5. What is the first clue that the travelers are nearing the orchard where Digory has to pick the apple?
6. Why does Digory suggest that Polly use her ring to go home?
7. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
8. What happens to the iron bar the Witch tore off the lamp-post?
9. What disturbs Fledge and the children at night?
10. What does the Lion do that Digory does not expect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jadis is referred to as being an evil witch. Is this view of her justified? State why or why not, and give examples to back your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Aslan is often thought of as representing God in an allegorical form. What are some things that he says or does that support this interpretation? Do any of his actions or things that he says contradict this view?
Essay Topic 3
The Cabby is chosen to be the first King of Narnia. What aspects of his character will make him a good king? In your answer, refer to some examples other than the scene in Chapter 11 where Aslan questions the Cabby.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)