|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Digory not see when he realizes the Witch has eaten an apple?
2. Which of the following flowers are not growing close to where they are standing?
3. What happens when Digory reaches Aslan and his council?
4. What does the Rabbit think that the humans are?
5. What other creatures are flying in the air with Fledge and the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
2. What disturbs Fledge and the children at night?
3. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
4. How does the song affect the characters?
5. What arguments are put forward by the animals regarding which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be planted?
6. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
7. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
8. What does the Lion do that Digory does not expect?
9. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
10. Why does Aslan transform Strawberry into a flying horse and re-name him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charn is where Jadis, the personification of the powers of death and destruction comes from. Describe Charn and explain how this setting is also symbolic of death and destruction.
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Andrew is a sinister character at the start of the novel, but later on, he is more of a comic figure. Explain some of the ways that Uncle Andrew is used to provide comic relief or humor in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 3
Problems and overcoming problems are very important to create plot tension. Describe one problem faced by a character in The Magician's Nephew and explain how this problem is overcome.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)