|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Digory want to speak to Aslan?
2. At what time of day do Fledge and the children arrive back in Narnia?
3. What does the Cabby think has happened to them?
4. What does Aslan do to Uncle Andrew?
5. What begins to grow on the higher slopes of the distant mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
2. Why do the animals not know what Uncle Andrew is?
3. How does the song affect the characters?
4. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
5. Where do the dwarfs obtain the materials to make the crowns from?
6. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
7. What does the author suggest that Polly did at the river?
8. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
9. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
10. What does the Cabby think has happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Digory's house in London at the start of the book and what it is like at the end. How has the house changed? Consider physical changes, and also symbolic changes with respect to the theme of Life versus Death.
Part 1: Describe Digory's house at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2: Describe how Digory's house changes by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Victorian London is one of several settings in The Magician's Nephew and is the most familiar. Describe this setting, and compare and contrast it with two of the other settings (listed below).
Part 1: Describe Victorian London as it appears in The Magician's Nephew.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Victorian London with one of the other settings in this book.
Part 3: Compare and contrast Victorian London with another of the settings in this book.
Choose two of the following:
The Wood Between the Worlds
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)