|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to grow on the higher slopes of the distant mountains?
2. What does the Lion do that surprises Digory?
3. Which animal brings Uncle Andrew to Aslan?
4. What sort of tree suddenly springs up close to Digory?
5. What did the animals decide to call Uncle Andrew and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
2. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
3. What does the author suggest that Polly did at the river?
4. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
5. What is the first clue that the travelers are nearing the orchard where Digory has to pick the apple?
6. What things show that the place they have come to is a new world that is just beginning?
7. What disturbs Fledge and the children at night?
8. What does Digory have to do and why?
9. What arguments are put forward by the animals regarding which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be planted?
10. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Uncle Andrew. Which of the adjectives below best describes him? Give examples of his actions and words to explain your decision.
Choose one of the following:
Essay Topic 2
The Magician's Nephew raises the topic of animal rights and animal experimentation. What attitude does the author seem to take on this topic? Use examples from the novel to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Magician's Nephew has, as one of its key themes, the antithesis between life and death/destruction. Describe two or three ways that theme is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew. Which force is shown to predominate?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)