|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aslan ask Digory to tell the other councilors?
2. Which of the following coins does not fall out of Uncle Andrew's pocket?
3. Which animals look like trees when they first appear?
4. Which animal first tries talking to Uncle Andrew?
5. What is the name of the Cabby's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
2. What does the Cabby think has happened?
3. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
4. Where do the dwarfs obtain the materials to make the crowns from?
5. Which animals and creatures does Aslan call apart and why?
6. Why does Digory suggest that Polly use her ring to go home?
7. What does the author suggest that Polly did at the river?
8. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
9. What is the first clue that the travelers are nearing the orchard where Digory has to pick the apple?
10. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Andrew is a sinister character at the start of the novel, but later on, he is more of a comic figure. Explain some of the ways that Uncle Andrew is used to provide comic relief or humor in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 2
When Jadis comes to London, she has certain cultural expectations. People in London have contrasting cultural expectations. Describe some of the culture clashes that occur when Jadis spends time in London. Consider such things as law, dress, technology, magic and gender roles, plus any other cultural clashes that you find.
Essay Topic 3
The Magician's Nephew explores the theme of power, kingship and corruption. What points are raised by this text regarding this theme? Explain some ways that this theme is illustrated in the text and give examples.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)