|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not happen when the Lion gives the animals the gift of speech and reason?
2. What had Fledge and Polly originally planned to do on reaching the garden?
3. Of what does Uncle Andrew smell?
4. How many policemen does Jadis knock out using the bar from the lamp-post?
5. Which animal brings Uncle Andrew to Aslan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
2. How does the song affect the characters?
3. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
4. What arguments does the Witch use to try to persuade Digory to eat the apple himself or take it home to his mother? Give at least two for each.
5. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
6. What are Pollly and Digory concerned about?
7. Why does Aslan transform Strawberry into a flying horse and re-name him?
8. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
9. What things show that the place they have come to is a new world that is just beginning?
10. What does Digory have to do and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Uncle Andrew. Which of the adjectives below best describes him? Give examples of his actions and words to explain your decision.
Choose one of the following:
Essay Topic 2
When Jadis comes to London, she has certain cultural expectations. People in London have contrasting cultural expectations. Describe some of the culture clashes that occur when Jadis spends time in London. Consider such things as law, dress, technology, magic and gender roles, plus any other cultural clashes that you find.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Aslan is often thought of as representing God in an allegorical form. What are some things that he says or does that support this interpretation? Do any of his actions or things that he says contradict this view?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)