|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Strawberry's new wings?
2. Which of the following animals or creatures is not summoned to the council by Aslan?
3. Which of the following is one difference between the stars Digory is used to seeing in our world and the stars in this new world?
4. What does the Lion ask Digory to fetch and why?
5. Where do the children shelter for the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the animals not know what Uncle Andrew is?
2. What arguments are put forward by the animals regarding which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be planted?
3. What does the Cabby think has happened?
4. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
5. What are Pollly and Digory concerned about?
6. How does the song affect the characters?
7. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
8. Explain the first joke in your own words.
9. What arguments does the Witch use to try to persuade Digory to eat the apple himself or take it home to his mother? Give at least two for each.
10. Where do the dwarfs obtain the materials to make the crowns from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charn is where Jadis, the personification of the powers of death and destruction comes from. Describe Charn and explain how this setting is also symbolic of death and destruction.
Essay Topic 2
The Magician's Nephew explores the theme of power, kingship and corruption. What points are raised by this text regarding this theme? Explain some ways that this theme is illustrated in the text and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Problems and overcoming problems are very important to create plot tension. Describe one problem faced by a character in The Magician's Nephew and explain how this problem is overcome.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)