|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interests Polly most about the Hall of Images?
2. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
3. What color are the rings
4. Which piece of scientific equipment is on Uncle Andrew's desk?
5. Had Digory seen Mrs Lefay before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
2. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
3. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
4. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
5. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
6. What do the children quarrel about?
7. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
8. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
9. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
10. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Victorian London is one of several settings in The Magician's Nephew and is the most familiar. Describe this setting, and compare and contrast it with two of the other settings (listed below).
Part 1: Describe Victorian London as it appears in The Magician's Nephew.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Victorian London with one of the other settings in this book.
Part 3: Compare and contrast Victorian London with another of the settings in this book.
Choose two of the following:
The Wood Between the Worlds
Essay Topic 2
In many of C.S. Lewis's works, both fictional and non-fictional, selfishness and being self-centered is associated very strongly with evil. Explain some ways that this idea is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 3
C.S. Lewis is sometimes criticized as being sexist or misogynistic (biased against women). Is this (supposed) bias apparent in The Magician's Nephew? Use examples to justify your answer.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)