|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is a yellow ring attached to the guinea pig?
2. What phrase does Uncle Andrew use to justify his unethical actions?
3. Why does Jadis study Uncle Andrew's face?
4. What made Uncle Andrew's hair turn gray?
5. What emotion does the Queen show when she realizes the palace is breaking up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
2. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
3. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
4. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
5. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
6. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
7. Name three things Jadis does or says that demonstrate her self-centered nature.
8. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
9. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
10. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which scene is the climax or point of maximum tension in The Magician's Nephew? Describe this scene and explain why you consider it to be the climax of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Andrew is a sinister character at the start of the novel, but later on, he is more of a comic figure. Explain some of the ways that Uncle Andrew is used to provide comic relief or humor in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 3
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)