|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is this story set?
2. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
3. What form of transport does Uncle Andrew order for the Witch and himself?
4. How does Jadis think that Uncle Andrew has seen her face?
5. From where did the box that Andrew took from Mrs Lefay come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
2. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
3. What do the children quarrel about?
4. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
5. What makes the children lose their fear of Uncle Andrew?
6. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
7. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
8. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
9. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
10. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Problems and overcoming problems are very important to create plot tension. Describe one problem faced by a character in The Magician's Nephew and explain how this problem is overcome.
Essay Topic 2
The Cabby is chosen to be the first King of Narnia. What aspects of his character will make him a good king? In your answer, refer to some examples other than the scene in Chapter 11 where Aslan questions the Cabby.
Essay Topic 3
The Magician's Nephew has, as one of its key themes, the antithesis between life and death/destruction. Describe two or three ways that theme is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew. Which force is shown to predominate?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)