|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expressions are seen on the faces at the beginning of the row of images?
2. From where did the box that Andrew took from Mrs Lefay come?
3. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
4. What is Aunt Letty doing when Uncle Andrew finds her?
5. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
2. What do the children quarrel about?
3. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
4. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
5. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
6. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
7. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
8. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
9. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
10. Name three things Jadis does or says that demonstrate her self-centered nature.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 2
Digory is by far one of the most complex and developed characters in The Magician's Nephew, with a blend of good and bad motives. Explain the sides of his character more fully and state why he is considered to be more of a "good" character rather than an evil one.
1. Describe some examples of his actions that come from good motives
2. Describe some examples of his actions that come from bad motives
3. Describe what action or actions he takes that make him stand out clearly as a character on the side of goodness.
Essay Topic 3
The Magician's Nephew explores the theme of power, kingship and corruption. What points are raised by this text regarding this theme? Explain some ways that this theme is illustrated in the text and give examples.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)