|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Uncle Andrew's hair turn gray?
2. What did Uncle Andrew find in that box?
3. What is the name of the housemaid?
4. Where does the Ketterley family originate?
5. What color is the sun in that world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
2. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
3. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
4. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
5. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
6. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
7. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
8. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
9. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
10. What does Aunt Letty believe about Jadis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cabby is chosen to be the first King of Narnia. What aspects of his character will make him a good king? In your answer, refer to some examples other than the scene in Chapter 11 where Aslan questions the Cabby.
Essay Topic 2
C.S. Lewis is sometimes criticized as being sexist or misogynistic (biased against women). Is this (supposed) bias apparent in The Magician's Nephew? Use examples to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Andrew is a sinister character at the start of the novel, but later on, he is more of a comic figure. Explain some of the ways that Uncle Andrew is used to provide comic relief or humor in The Magician's Nephew.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)