|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does the Queen show when she realizes the palace is breaking up?
2. Which other classic children's book is not mentioned or referred to in this chapter?
3. How long is Polly sent to bed for as a punishment?
4. Who was riding in the hansom that the Witch was driving?
5. What sculpture was once used as a fountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crucial piece of knowledge does Digory not know about the Witch?
2. What does Aunt Letty believe about Jadis?
3. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
4. Why does Digory wish he was older (or bigger)?
5. Why does Aunt Letty give Uncle Andrew such a tart reply when he asks to borrow some money from her?
6. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
7. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
8. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
9. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
10. How do the rings actually work for traveling from world to world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Magician's Nephew raises the topic of animal rights and animal experimentation. What attitude does the author seem to take on this topic? Use examples from the novel to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
We are only told about two of the other worlds that can be reached using the magic rings and the pools in the Wood Between the Worlds. Create a new world of your own and describe it in detail. How is it different to the real world and how is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
In many of C.S. Lewis's works, both fictional and non-fictional, selfishness and being self-centered is associated very strongly with evil. Explain some ways that this idea is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)