Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
2. Which of the following does Jadis not suggest as a means of transport?
3. What happens when they jump into the pools wearing the wrong rings?
4. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
5. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
2. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
3. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
4. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
5. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
6. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
7. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
8. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
9. Explain the first joke in your own words.
10. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
Essay Topic 1
The Magician's Nephew explores the theme of power, kingship and corruption. What points are raised by this text regarding this theme? Explain some ways that this theme is illustrated in the text and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 3
Problems and overcoming problems are very important to create plot tension. Describe one problem faced by a character in The Magician's Nephew and explain how this problem is overcome.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)