|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color rings are the children wearing when they first jump into the new pool?
2. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
3. What is the name of Digory's mother?
4. What was the name of Uncle Andrew's godmother?
5. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does the Witch use to try to persuade Digory to eat the apple himself or take it home to his mother? Give at least two for each.
2. What does the Cabby think has happened?
3. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
4. Why does Aslan transform Strawberry into a flying horse and re-name him?
5. Why does Digory suggest that Polly use her ring to go home?
6. What arguments are put forward by the animals regarding which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be planted?
7. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
8. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
9. What does Aunt Letty believe about Jadis?
10. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Uncle Andrew. Which of the adjectives below best describes him? Give examples of his actions and words to explain your decision.
Choose one of the following:
Essay Topic 2
In many of C.S. Lewis's works, both fictional and non-fictional, selfishness and being self-centered is associated very strongly with evil. Explain some ways that this idea is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew.
Essay Topic 3
Charn is where Jadis, the personification of the powers of death and destruction comes from. Describe Charn and explain how this setting is also symbolic of death and destruction.
This section contains 2,239 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)