|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Uncle Andrew use to justify his unethical actions?
2. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
3. What color is the Queen's skin?
4. What fruit does the visitor bring for Digory's mother?
5. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crucial piece of knowledge does Digory not know about the Witch?
2. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
3. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
4. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
5. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
6. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
7. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
8. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
9. Name three things Jadis does or says that demonstrate her self-centered nature.
10. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jadis is referred to as being an evil witch. Is this view of her justified? State why or why not, and give examples to back your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 3
The Magician's Nephew explores the theme of power, kingship and corruption. What points are raised by this text regarding this theme? Explain some ways that this theme is illustrated in the text and give examples.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)