Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
2. Which of the following does Jadis not suggest as a means of transport?
3. What happens when they jump into the pools wearing the wrong rings?
4. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
5. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
2. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
3. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
4. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
5. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
6. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
7. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
8. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
9. Explain the first joke in your own words.
10. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
Essay Topic 1
C.S. Lewis is sometimes criticized as being sexist or misogynistic (biased against women). Is this (supposed) bias apparent in The Magician's Nephew? Use examples to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Charn is where Jadis, the personification of the powers of death and destruction comes from. Describe Charn and explain how this setting is also symbolic of death and destruction.
Essay Topic 3
The mountain garden where Digory takes the Apple of Life from is intended to represent or be the Narnian equivalent of the Garden of Eden. Describe the mountain garden in your own words, and explain what it does and does not have in common with the mythical Garden of Eden.
(Note: if appropriate, another mythological or legendary garden can be substituted for the Garden of Eden).
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)