|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Digory afraid of now that the Witch/Queen is in London and in his house?
2. Who did Jadis fight for the throne?
3. How long is Polly sent to bed for as a punishment?
4. How wide are the pools?
5. What two living things (other than trees) does Digory see in the wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
2. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
3. What makes the children lose their fear of Uncle Andrew?
4. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
5. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
6. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
7. What does Aunt Letty believe about Jadis?
8. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
9. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
10. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Uncle Andrew. Which of the adjectives below best describes him? Give examples of his actions and words to explain your decision.
Choose one of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Digory is by far one of the most complex and developed characters in The Magician's Nephew, with a blend of good and bad motives. Explain the sides of his character more fully and state why he is considered to be more of a "good" character rather than an evil one.
1. Describe some examples of his actions that come from good motives
2. Describe some examples of his actions that come from bad motives
3. Describe what action or actions he takes that make him stand out clearly as a character on the side of goodness.
Essay Topic 3
Victorian London is one of several settings in The Magician's Nephew and is the most familiar. Describe this setting, and compare and contrast it with two of the other settings (listed below).
Part 1: Describe Victorian London as it appears in The Magician's Nephew.
Part 2: Compare and contrast Victorian London with one of the other settings in this book.
Part 3: Compare and contrast Victorian London with another of the settings in this book.
Choose two of the following:
The Wood Between the Worlds
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)