|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Queen?
2. How does Jadis think that Uncle Andrew has seen her face?
3. Where does Digory see the writing?
4. What is Digory's last name?
5. How many nobles did the Queen's great-grandfather kill in the banqueting hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
2. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
3. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
4. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
5. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
6. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
7. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
8. Why does Digory wish he was older (or bigger)?
9. What crucial piece of knowledge does Digory not know about the Witch?
10. Name three things Jadis does or says that demonstrate her self-centered nature.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
C.S. Lewis is sometimes criticized as being sexist or misogynistic (biased against women). Is this (supposed) bias apparent in The Magician's Nephew? Use examples to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Uncle Andrew. Which of the adjectives below best describes him? Give examples of his actions and words to explain your decision.
Choose one of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)