|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
2. Which other classic children's book is not mentioned or referred to in this chapter?
3. Had Digory seen Mrs Lefay before?
4. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
5. Which of the following did not happen to the guinea pigs that Uncle Andrew used for his experiments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
2. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
3. Why does Aunt Letty give Uncle Andrew such a tart reply when he asks to borrow some money from her?
4. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
5. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
6. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
7. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
8. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
9. What do the children quarrel about?
10. Name three things Jadis does or says that demonstrate her self-centered nature.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Problems and overcoming problems are very important to create plot tension. Describe one problem faced by a character in The Magician's Nephew and explain how this problem is overcome.
Essay Topic 2
Charn is where Jadis, the personification of the powers of death and destruction comes from. Describe Charn and explain how this setting is also symbolic of death and destruction.
Essay Topic 3
Which scene is the climax or point of maximum tension in The Magician's Nephew? Describe this scene and explain why you consider it to be the climax of the novel.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)