|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which possible fate does Uncle Andrew not suggest may happen to Polly if Digory does not go to rescue her?
2. What interests Polly most about the Hall of Images?
3. What expected result of being underwater does not happen when using the magic of the pools?
4. What two living things (other than trees) does Digory see in the wood?
5. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
Short Essay Questions
1. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
2. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
3. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
4. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
5. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
6. What do the children quarrel about?
7. What makes the children lose their fear of Uncle Andrew?
8. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
9. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
10. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 2
Digory is by far one of the most complex and developed characters in The Magician's Nephew, with a blend of good and bad motives. Explain the sides of his character more fully and state why he is considered to be more of a "good" character rather than an evil one.
1. Describe some examples of his actions that come from good motives
2. Describe some examples of his actions that come from bad motives
3. Describe what action or actions he takes that make him stand out clearly as a character on the side of goodness.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Uncle Andrew. Which of the adjectives below best describes him? Give examples of his actions and words to explain your decision.
Choose one of the following:
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)