Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
2. Which of the following does Jadis not suggest as a means of transport?
3. What happens when they jump into the pools wearing the wrong rings?
4. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
5. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
2. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
3. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
4. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
5. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
6. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
7. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
8. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
9. Explain the first joke in your own words.
10. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Aslan is often thought of as representing God in an allegorical form. What are some things that he says or does that support this interpretation? Do any of his actions or things that he says contradict this view?
Essay Topic 2
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Digory's house in London at the start of the book and what it is like at the end. How has the house changed? Consider physical changes, and also symbolic changes with respect to the theme of Life versus Death.
Part 1: Describe Digory's house at the beginning of the novel.
Part 2: Describe how Digory's house changes by the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)