|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expressions are seen on the faces at the beginning of the row of images?
2. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
3. What fruit does the visitor bring for Digory's mother?
4. What happened to the river in Charn during the battle?
5. Why does Jadis study Uncle Andrew's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rings actually work for traveling from world to world?
2. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
3. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
4. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
5. Why does Aunt Letty give Uncle Andrew such a tart reply when he asks to borrow some money from her?
6. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
7. Why does Digory wish he was older (or bigger)?
8. What crucial piece of knowledge does Digory not know about the Witch?
9. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
10. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
Essay Topic 2
C.S. Lewis is sometimes criticized as being sexist or misogynistic (biased against women). Is this (supposed) bias apparent in The Magician's Nephew? Use examples to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Cabby is chosen to be the first King of Narnia. What aspects of his character will make him a good king? In your answer, refer to some examples other than the scene in Chapter 11 where Aslan questions the Cabby.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)