Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
2. Which of the following does Jadis not suggest as a means of transport?
3. What happens when they jump into the pools wearing the wrong rings?
4. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
5. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
2. What will happen to the Witch now that she has eaten an apple?
3. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
4. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
5. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
6. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
7. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
8. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
9. Explain the first joke in your own words.
10. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
The Magician's Nephew has, as one of its key themes, the antithesis between life and death/destruction. Describe two or three ways that theme is illustrated in The Magician's Nephew. Which force is shown to predominate?
Some people claim that conflict is essential to create plot tension. With whom does Digory conflict? Choose one of his conflicts, describe it and explain how this conflict is resolved.
Part 1: List the other characters with whom Digory is in conflict.
Part 2: Choose one of these conflicts and describe it.
Part 3: Explain how this conflict is resolved.
The Cabby is chosen to be the first King of Narnia. What aspects of his character will make him a good king? In your answer, refer to some examples other than the scene in Chapter 11 where Aslan questions the Cabby.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)