|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the animals chase Uncle Andrew?
(a) They are teasing him because they think he is funny.
(b) They are hungry and want to eat him.
(c) They are curious as to what he is.
(d) They want to take him to Aslan.
2. Why wasn't Uncle Andrew able to hear the animals talking?
(a) He was too intent on trying to steal the rings that he never noticed they were speaking.
(b) He was standing too far away to hear what was going on.
(c) The evil of his magic had affected him so that he was incapable of hearing this good magic.
(d) He had successfully persuaded himself that this was impossible and they were only making ordinary noises.
3. Why do the animals decide to plant Uncle Andrew the right way up?
(a) His hair is the wrong color for roots to be.
(b) They wanted to be on the safe side just in case he turned out to be an animal.
(c) His trousers were wetter, so they must be the roots.
(d) His trousers are muddier so they must be the roots.
4. What happens when Digory reaches Aslan and his council?
(a) Aslan and the others do not see him, so Digory has to interrupt.
(b) Aslan and the others ignore Digory and start walking away.
(c) Aslan and the councillors turn angrily on Digory.
(d) Aslan tells the councillors to make way so that Digory can approach.
5. How many toffees does Polly have in her pocket?
(b) We are not told
Short Answer Questions
1. From where do Frank (the Cabby) and Helen get their royal robes?
2. Why did the Cabby live in London?
3. What does the Rabbit think that the humans are?
4. Which way is the river flowing in the new world?
5. Which direction do the golden gates face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Cabby think has happened?
2. What does Digory have to do and why?
3. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
4. What is the first clue that the travelers are nearing the orchard where Digory has to pick the apple?
5. What arguments does the Witch use to try to persuade Digory to eat the apple himself or take it home to his mother? Give at least two for each.
6. Why does Uncle Andrew try to steal Digory's green ring?
7. What does Strawberry the horse remember about his old life in London?
8. What things are prohibited in the garden?
9. Why does Aslan transform Strawberry into a flying horse and re-name him?
10. Why do the animals not know what Uncle Andrew is?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)