|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the horse react to being taken into the Wood Between the Worlds?
(a) It calms down and whinnies cheerfully.
(b) It shakes and looks sick.
(c) Fire enters its eyes and it bucks the Witch off its back.
(d) It screams and lays its ears flat against its skull.
2. Where does the Jackdaw perch after making (or being) the First Joke?
(a) On the back of the Lion
(b) On Digory's shoulder
(c) In the branch of a tree
(d) On the cab-horse's head
3. Why wasn't Uncle Andrew able to hear the animals talking?
(a) He had successfully persuaded himself that this was impossible and they were only making ordinary noises.
(b) He was standing too far away to hear what was going on.
(c) He was too intent on trying to steal the rings that he never noticed they were speaking.
(d) The evil of his magic had affected him so that he was incapable of hearing this good magic.
4. What change comes over the smaller animals like rabbits and moles?
(a) Their ears grow longer.
(b) They grow much larger.
(c) They grow slightly smaller.
(d) Their fur changes colour.
5. What do Digory and Polly see to the south from the air?
(a) The sea
(c) Jagged mountains
Short Answer Questions
1. What would have happened if someone had taken an apple to plant a Tree of Protection without permission?
2. Why do the animals decide to plant Uncle Andrew the right way up?
3. What distinctive piece of clothing does the Cabby wear?
4. Which of the following animals or creatures is not summoned to the council by Aslan?
5. What does the Lion ask Digory to fetch and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments are put forward by the animals regarding which way up Uncle Andrew ought to be planted?
2. Where do the dwarfs obtain the materials to make the crowns from?
3. Why does Digory suggest that Polly use her ring to go home?
4. What does Digory have to do and why?
5. Why does Aslan call the Cabby's wife into Narnia?
6. Why does Digory want to talk to the Lion?
7. Explain the first joke in your own words.
8. What are Pollly and Digory concerned about?
9. What signs show that some magic is being worked on the animals chosen by the Lion?
10. What arguments does the Witch use to try to persuade Digory to eat the apple himself or take it home to his mother? Give at least two for each.
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)