|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aunt Letty doing when Uncle Andrew finds her?
(a) She is entertaining visitors.
(b) She is doing embroidery.
(c) She is drinking tea.
(d) She is mending a matress.
2. What color are the doors that the Queen blasts?
3. How does Jadis get dragged from her world to the Wood?
(a) She is holding onto Polly's hand.
(b) She is holding Digory's hand.
(c) She is holding onto Polly's hair.
(d) She uses her magic powers to follow the children.
4. What is distinctive about the doors leading into the Hall of Images?
(a) They are made of a mysterious black metal.
(b) They are studded with precious gems.
(c) They look as though they are made of gold.
(d) They have magical writing carved into the wood.
5. How is a yellow ring attached to the guinea pig?
(a) The guinea pig is wearing the ring on its paw.
(b) It is tied on by a tape or ribbon around the guinea pig's middle.
(c) It is hanging off the guinea pig's tail.
(d) It is wedged onto the guinea pig's nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Digory's mother?
2. Why does Jadis study Uncle Andrew's face?
3. What did Uncle Andrew find in that box?
4. Where did Jadis learn the Deplorable Word?
5. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
2. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
3. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
4. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
5. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
6. How do the rings actually work for traveling from world to world?
7. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
8. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
9. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
10. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)