|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Digory afraid of now that the Witch/Queen is in London and in his house?
(a) He is afraid that Uncle Andrew and she will conquer the world.
(b) He fears that she will go into his mother's room and frighten her to death.
(c) He is afraid that Polly will never forgive him.
(d) He is afraid that he, too, will sit on red hot chairs and have ice in his bed.
2. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
(a) A story she is writing
(c) A store of toffee
(d) Ginger beer
3. What fruit does the visitor bring for Digory's mother?
4. What has Jadis stolen from the jeweler's shop?
(a) Sapphire earrings
(b) A diamond tiara
(c) A rope of pearls
(d) A diamond necklace
5. What happens when they jump into the pools wearing the wrong rings?
(a) They sink in water up to their necks.
(b) They get their feet wet.
(c) The surface of the water freezes over.
(d) The trees hiss and roar in a high wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
2. Which piece of scientific equipment is on Uncle Andrew's desk?
3. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
4. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
5. What color is the waistcoat that Uncle Andrew puts on in an attempt to impress the Witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
2. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
3. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
4. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
5. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
6. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
7. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
8. What makes the children lose their fear of Uncle Andrew?
9. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
10. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)