|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Jadis fight for the throne?
(a) Her cousin
(b) Her sister
(c) Her father
(d) Her ex-husband
2. What is most striking about the last queen, apart from her beauty?
(a) Her fierceness and pride
(b) Her height and strength
(c) Her unbelievably long hair
(d) Her cruel expression
3. What sort of ring takes you into the Wood between the Worlds?
(a) A yellow ring
(b) A green ring
(c) A green ring on your right hand and a yellow ring on your left
(d) Either of the rings - it doesn't matter which
4. What is Digory afraid of now that the Witch/Queen is in London and in his house?
(a) He fears that she will go into his mother's room and frighten her to death.
(b) He is afraid that Polly will never forgive him.
(c) He is afraid that he, too, will sit on red hot chairs and have ice in his bed.
(d) He is afraid that Uncle Andrew and she will conquer the world.
5. How do the children mark the pool leading back into our world?
(a) They leave their jackets on the edge of it.
(b) They cut out a strip of turf and expose the dirt below.
(c) They tie a ribbon to a tree.
(d) Digory cuts a cross into the bark of the nearest tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jadis get dragged from her world to the Wood?
2. How is Digory able to read the writing on the pillar?
3. Why does Jadis study Uncle Andrew's face?
4. What smell does Digory notice while he is waiting?
5. What is Aunt Letty doing when Uncle Andrew finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
2. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
3. What do the children quarrel about?
4. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
5. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
6. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
7. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
8. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
9. Name three things Jadis does or says that demonstrate her self-centered nature.
10. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)