|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Jadis stolen from the jeweler's shop?
(a) A rope of pearls
(b) A diamond necklace
(c) Sapphire earrings
(d) A diamond tiara
2. How is Digory able to read the writing on the pillar?
(a) Magic enables him to understand it.
(b) It is written in English.
(c) A voice from the pillar recites the verse.
(d) The shape of the writing changes so he can read it.
3. What does Uncle Andrew keep hidden in his wardrobe?
(a) A gold watch
(b) Some money
(c) Another set of magic rings.
(d) A bottle of spirits and a wine glass.
4. From where did the box that Andrew took from Mrs Lefay come?
5. What color is the sky in the new world?
(a) Light blue
(c) Streaks of yellow, blue and red
(d) A blue that is almost black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two living things (other than trees) does Digory see in the wood?
2. What sculpture was once used as a fountain?
3. In what city is this story set?
4. What is Digory's last name?
5. How wide are the pools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
2. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
3. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
4. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
5. What makes the children lose their fear of Uncle Andrew?
6. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
7. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
8. Why did Jadis speak the Deplorable Word?
9. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
10. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)