|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jadis learn the Deplorable Word?
(a) In the temple in the middle of Charn
(b) In a secret place
(c) In the Great Library of the palace
(d) From her mother
2. What color are the doors that the Queen blasts?
3. What has Jadis stolen from the jeweler's shop?
(a) A rope of pearls
(b) A diamond tiara
(c) A diamond necklace
(d) Sapphire earrings
4. What fruit does the visitor bring for Digory's mother?
5. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
(a) Alive, quiet and rich
(b) Noisy, exciting and lively
(c) Bleak, barren and sterile
(d) Stuffy, drowsy and soporific
Short Answer Questions
1. What expected result of being underwater does not happen when using the magic of the pools?
2. How do the children mark the pool leading back into our world?
3. When does Polly let go of Digory's hand?
4. What was the name of Uncle Andrew's godmother?
5. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
2. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
3. What does Digory say that actually gets Uncle Andrew's full attention and why does it have this effect?
4. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
5. Why does Digory wish he was older (or bigger)?
6. How can Jadis travel out of her world even though she is not wearing a magic ring?
7. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
8. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
9. What does Aunt Letty believe about Jadis?
10. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)