|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Polly let go of Digory's hand?
(a) As soon as they arrive in the new world.
(b) When Digory strikes the bell.
(c) When he suggests she is afraid of exploring the ruin.
(d) When they enter the Hall of Images
2. What phrase does Uncle Andrew use to justify his unethical actions?
(a) You will keep looking at everything from the wrong point of view.
(b) I will not be talked to like that by a little, dirty schoolboy.
(c) Ours is a high and lonely destiny.
(d) I am the great scholar, the adept who is doing the experiment.
3. Which of the following did not happen to the guinea pigs that Uncle Andrew used for his experiments?
(a) They died
(b) They vanished
(c) They learned to speak
(d) They exploded
4. What sort of ring takes you into the Wood between the Worlds?
(a) A green ring
(b) A yellow ring
(c) Either of the rings - it doesn't matter which
(d) A green ring on your right hand and a yellow ring on your left
5. What interests Polly most about the Hall of Images?
(a) The clothes the figures are wearing.
(b) The hairstyles of the women in the figures.
(c) The jewels the figures are wearing.
(d) The faces of the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
2. Where does Aunt Letty think that Jadis comes from?
3. What is Digory's last name?
4. What made Uncle Andrew's hair turn gray?
5. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rings actually work for traveling from world to world?
2. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
3. What does Digory plan to do with his magic rings?
4. What do the children quarrel about?
5. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
6. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
7. What is ironic about the chief policeman's question to Uncle Andrew?
8. What does Uncle Andrew do after he leaves his study and why?
9. What are the first things that Digory sees when he comes out of the pool and how does he react?
10. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)