|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the sky in the new world?
(a) Light blue
(b) Streaks of yellow, blue and red
(d) A blue that is almost black.
2. What does the Cabby tell Jadis to do?
(a) Go home and have a cup of tea and a rest.
(b) That she is a disgraceful hussy.
(c) To stop whipping his horse.
(d) To go home until she is sober again.
3. What color of light does Digory notice overhead first after putting on the yellow ring?
4. When does Polly let go of Digory's hand?
(a) When he suggests she is afraid of exploring the ruin.
(b) When they enter the Hall of Images
(c) As soon as they arrive in the new world.
(d) When Digory strikes the bell.
5. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
(a) Every chair he sat on would feel like ice and his bed would feel red hot.
(b) She would command invisible demons to whip him.
(c) Every chair he sat on would feel red hot, and he would find invisible ice in his bed.
(d) She would turn him into a rattlesnake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jadis think that Uncle Andrew has seen her face?
2. How does Jadis get dragged from her world to the Wood?
3. Which of the following does Digory miss about his old home in the country?
4. How many nobles did the Queen's great-grandfather kill in the banqueting hall?
5. What sort of ring takes you into the Wood between the Worlds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
2. What do they decide to do with the guinea pig and why?
3. Why did Uncle Andrew need two children for his "experiment" with the rings?
4. What is unusual about the ruins they find themselves in?
5. How is Jadis different from a human from our world?
6. What do the children quarrel about?
7. What surprises the children when they open the door and leave the tunnel?
8. From the expressions on the faces of the images, what can be deduced about the history of the place they have found themselves in?
9. Why does Jadis want to travel to our world?
10. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)