|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city is this story set?
(d) New York
2. What emotion does the Queen show when she realizes the palace is breaking up?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) She thinks it is funny.
(c) None - she is completely calm.
(d) She is furious.
3. How does Jadis think that Uncle Andrew has seen her face?
(a) In a dream or vision
(b) In a magic mirror or enchanted pool
(c) In a crystal ball
(d) In a book or great queens
4. What form of transport does Uncle Andrew order for the Witch and himself?
(a) A governess cart
(b) A gig
(c) A coach and four
(d) A hansom cab
5. What made Uncle Andrew's hair turn gray?
(a) A period of ill health
(b) Unpleasant experiences while learning magic
(c) Touching the magical dust
(d) Old age
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Andrew offer to Polly?
2. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
3. What color of stone has been used to build the old palace in which they find themselves?
4. Which of the following did not happen to the guinea pigs that Uncle Andrew used for his experiments?
5. What color is the waistcoat that Uncle Andrew puts on in an attempt to impress the Witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Uncle Andrew so frightened?
2. In what way is the treatment of Uncle Andrew an example of poetic justice?
3. What does the Lion do that Digory does not expect?
4. How do they manage to get back inside their house in spite of the crowd by the front door?
5. Where do the dwarfs obtain the materials to make the crowns from?
6. Why is Digory crying when Polly first meets him?
7. What happens to the iron bar the Witch tore off the lamp-post?
8. Why does Aunt Letty give Uncle Andrew such a tart reply when he asks to borrow some money from her?
9. Which animals and creatures does Aslan call apart and why?
10. What effect does arriving in the Wood Between the Worlds have on the characters?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)