|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Polly let go of Digory's hand?
(a) When Digory strikes the bell.
(b) When he suggests she is afraid of exploring the ruin.
(c) As soon as they arrive in the new world.
(d) When they enter the Hall of Images
2. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
(a) She would command invisible demons to whip him.
(b) Every chair he sat on would feel red hot, and he would find invisible ice in his bed.
(c) She would turn him into a rattlesnake.
(d) Every chair he sat on would feel like ice and his bed would feel red hot.
3. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
(a) A strange humming sound
(b) A weird flashing light
(c) A yell
(d) A peculiar smell
4. What color are the rings
(a) Green and blue
(b) Red and yellow
(c) Black and white
(d) Green and yellow
5. What happens to Jadis when she is in the Wood Between the Worlds?
(a) She becomes pale, faint and terrified.
(b) She becomes calm and drowsy.
(c) She becomes sick and starts vomiting.
(d) She becomes furious and her strength doubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How wide are the pools?
2. What color are the doors that the Queen blasts?
3. Which of Polly's hands is the Queen holding?
4. What is stopping all the clothes from rotting away?
5. What fruit does the visitor bring for Digory's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the children lose their fear of Uncle Andrew?
2. Why is the Wood like the tunnel that the children had explored in the houses?
3. Why does Aunt Letty give Uncle Andrew such a tart reply when he asks to borrow some money from her?
4. Why does Polly start to believe that Uncle Andrew is not mad?
5. Summarize, in your own words, how Uncle Andrew obtained the dust used for making the rings.
6. What possibilities do the children suggest to explain the mysterious yell heard one night by Digory?
7. What crucial piece of knowledge does Digory not know about the Witch?
8. Why does Digory wish he was older (or bigger)?
9. What do the children quarrel about?
10. Name three ways that Polly's attitude differs from Digory's in this chapter.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)