|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Witch living now?
(a) In the north
(b) In the west
(c) In the south
(d) In the east
2. Which of the following does the writing on the gate not warn against?
(a) Closing the gates
(b) Taking the fruit for yourself
(c) Stealing the fruit
(d) Climbing the wall
3. Which of the following does Digory not see in the landscape when he looks west?
(a) A green valley
(b) A waterfall
(c) Huge cliffs
(d) Ice-covered mountains
4. What is the first event the travelers notice in the darkness?
(a) A line of white light appears on the horizon.
(b) A golden lion appears in front of them.
(c) A song begins.
(d) Hundreds of stars suddenlly appear.
5. From what did the lamp post grow?
(a) It sprang from the ground in response to the Lion's song.
(b) The iron bar Jadis threw at the Lion
(c) A piece of scrap metal dropped by Uncle Andrew
(d) We are not told
6. What distinctive piece of clothing does the Cabby wear?
(a) A top hat
(b) A frock coat
(c) A bowler hat
(d) A Norfolk suit
7. Which facial feature does the Elephant not recognize Uncle Andrew as having?
(a) A nose
(b) A chin
8. Which animals look like trees when they first appear?
(a) The moles
(b) The elephants
(c) The stags
(d) The birds
9. Which of the following does Digory not see when he realizes the Witch has eaten an apple?
(a) He sees the juice around her mouth.
(b) He sees her taking the last bite of the apple.
(c) He sees that her skin has turned deadly white.
(d) He sees her throwing away the core.
10. What is the first thing that Digory does in the morning?
(a) He eats some of the fruit from the toffee tree.
(b) He has a drink from the river.
(c) He has a swim or wash in a mountain river.
(d) He searches for the toffee tree.
11. Who is the first to wake up in the morning?
(a) They all wake at the same time
12. Which of the following does not happen when the Lion gives the animals the gift of speech and reason?
(a) The Lion breathes on them.
(b) Something like fire flashes out.
(c) The earth shakes beneath them.
(d) The stars sing again.
13. Which of the following flowers are not growing close to where they are standing?
14. How far away is the Lion from Digory and the others?
(a) Three yards
(b) Thirty yards
(c) Three hundred feet
(d) Three hundred yards
15. What is it about the Tree of Protection that will keep the Witch away?
(a) The sight of the apples will blind her.
(b) The leaves of the tree will stab her like daggers.
(c) The smell of the apples will fill her with horror.
(d) The smell of the apples will kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following mythological beings does not appear after the Lion's words?
2. What is the name of the Cabby's wife?
3. Which of the following do the animals not try to feed Uncle Andrew with?
4. Why does the Bear fall over?
5. Which of the following coins does not fall out of Uncle Andrew's pocket?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)