|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Jackdaw perch after making (or being) the First Joke?
(a) In the branch of a tree
(b) On the back of the Lion
(c) On Digory's shoulder
(d) On the cab-horse's head
2. What is the first thing that the Witch tempts Digory to do?
(a) Eat the apple and live forever
(b) Give her the apple
(c) Throw the apple away
(d) Take the apple home for his mother
3. Which of the following does not happen when the Lion gives the animals the gift of speech and reason?
(a) The stars sing again.
(b) Something like fire flashes out.
(c) The earth shakes beneath them.
(d) The Lion breathes on them.
4. Which animal is the most impressive to watch breaking out of the ground?
(a) The elephant
(b) The panthers
(c) The dogs
(d) The butterflies
5. What would have happened if someone had taken an apple to plant a Tree of Protection without permission?
(a) Narnia would have become a cruel country like Charn.
(b) Nothing would happen - the magic would not work with a stolen apple.
(c) Nothing different would happen - Narnia would be a kind land kept safe from the Witch.
(d) Everybody in Narnia would be killed by the smell of the apples.
6. Which animals look like trees when they first appear?
(a) The stags
(b) The moles
(c) The elephants
(d) The birds
7. Why does Digory want to speak to Aslan?
(a) He wants Aslan to send them home again.
(b) He wants to apologize to Aslan about bringing the Witch into the world.
(c) He wants to ask for something to cure his mother.
(d) He wants to ask Aslan to make Uncle Andrew give up magic.
8. Why wasn't Uncle Andrew able to hear the animals talking?
(a) He was standing too far away to hear what was going on.
(b) He was too intent on trying to steal the rings that he never noticed they were speaking.
(c) The evil of his magic had affected him so that he was incapable of hearing this good magic.
(d) He had successfully persuaded himself that this was impossible and they were only making ordinary noises.
9. How many toffees does Polly have in her pocket?
(d) We are not told
10. What change comes over the smaller animals like rabbits and moles?
(a) Their fur changes colour.
(b) They grow slightly smaller.
(c) They grow much larger.
(d) Their ears grow longer.
11. What does the Lion do that surprises Digory?
(a) He begins to sing again.
(b) He makes Digory feel ridiculous.
(c) He agrees to give him something to cure his mother.
(d) He cries in sympathy for Digory.
12. Which animal first says that Uncle Andrew is a sort of tree?
(a) The Tapir
(b) The Bulldog
(c) The Bear
(d) The Warthog
13. Who of the following does Uncle Andrew blame for the troubles he is now in?
(b) Queen Jadis
(c) His godmother
14. Had the Cabby ever fought before?
(a) Yes, but only with his fists.
(b) No - he is a bit of a soft person.
(c) No - he is a pacifist.
(d) Yes - he rode Strawberry's father in cavalry charges.
15. What color are the apples that Digory has to pick?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Cabby's wife doing when Aslan calls her into Narnia?
2. Who is the first to wake up in the morning?
3. What is the first thing that Digory does in the morning?
4. Of what things from our world does Strawberry have fond memories?
5. What happens when Digory reaches Aslan and his council?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)