|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children mark the pool leading back into our world?
(a) Digory cuts a cross into the bark of the nearest tree.
(b) They leave their jackets on the edge of it.
(c) They cut out a strip of turf and expose the dirt below.
(d) They tie a ribbon to a tree.
2. How does Jadis think that Uncle Andrew has seen her face?
(a) In a book or great queens
(b) In a magic mirror or enchanted pool
(c) In a dream or vision
(d) In a crystal ball
3. How is Digory able to read the writing on the pillar?
(a) The shape of the writing changes so he can read it.
(b) A voice from the pillar recites the verse.
(c) Magic enables him to understand it.
(d) It is written in English.
4. What phrase does Uncle Andrew use to justify his unethical actions?
(a) I am the great scholar, the adept who is doing the experiment.
(b) Ours is a high and lonely destiny.
(c) You will keep looking at everything from the wrong point of view.
(d) I will not be talked to like that by a little, dirty schoolboy.
5. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
(a) Every chair he sat on would feel red hot, and he would find invisible ice in his bed.
(b) She would turn him into a rattlesnake.
(c) She would command invisible demons to whip him.
(d) Every chair he sat on would feel like ice and his bed would feel red hot.
6. What color is the Queen's skin?
7. What is the name of the Queen?
8. What feature of London do the children see while traveling back using the green rings?
(a) Big Ben
(b) St Paul's Cathedral
(c) Buckingham Palace
(d) The Tower of London
9. Which of the following does Jadis not suggest as a means of transport?
(a) A flying carpet
(b) A tame dragon
(c) A chariot
(d) A golden coach
10. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
11. What is Digory afraid of now that the Witch/Queen is in London and in his house?
(a) He is afraid that he, too, will sit on red hot chairs and have ice in his bed.
(b) He is afraid that Uncle Andrew and she will conquer the world.
(c) He is afraid that Polly will never forgive him.
(d) He fears that she will go into his mother's room and frighten her to death.
12. Where does the Ketterley family originate?
13. What expressions are seen on the faces at the beginning of the row of images?
(a) Proud and cruel
(b) Wise and cruel
(c) Kind and wise
(d) Solemn and dignified
14. What does Digory do before picking up the ring?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He ties his shoelaces.
(c) He buttons up his coat and takes a deep breath.
(d) He punches Uncle Andrew in the head.
15. What two living things (other than trees) does Digory see in the wood?
(a) Polly and a guinea pig
(b) A swarm of bees and a guinea pig
(c) Polly and a pony
(d) He only sees Polly and no other creature
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did the box that Andrew took from Mrs Lefay come?
2. What is Uncle Andrew's characteristic gesture or habit while speaking?
3. What color is the sun in that world?
4. What happens to Jadis when she is in the Wood Between the Worlds?
5. Which other classic children's book is not mentioned or referred to in this chapter?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)