|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Digory's father?
(a) He is in prison
(b) He has died
(c) In the country house
(d) In India
2. What smell does Digory notice while he is waiting?
(c) Boiled cabbage
3. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
(a) She would turn him into a rattlesnake.
(b) Every chair he sat on would feel red hot, and he would find invisible ice in his bed.
(c) Every chair he sat on would feel like ice and his bed would feel red hot.
(d) She would command invisible demons to whip him.
4. In what city is this story set?
(c) New York
5. Into which pocket does Digory put the green rings?
(a) Both his left and right pockets
(b) His left pocket
(c) His waistcoat pocket
(d) His right pocket
6. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
(a) A dem fine woman.
(b) My dear girl.
(c) An old fool.
(d) A terrible creature.
7. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
(a) The matress she had been mending.
(b) The carpet in the sitting room.
(c) Bare boards.
(d) The drawing room sofa.
8. Which other classic children's book is not mentioned or referred to in this chapter?
(a) The Treasure Seekers (about the Bastable children)
(b) Treasure Island
(c) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
(d) Alice in Wonderland
9. What form of transport does Uncle Andrew order for the Witch and himself?
(a) A gig
(b) A hansom cab
(c) A governess cart
(d) A coach and four
10. What happens to Jadis when she is in the Wood Between the Worlds?
(a) She becomes pale, faint and terrified.
(b) She becomes calm and drowsy.
(c) She becomes furious and her strength doubles.
(d) She becomes sick and starts vomiting.
11. Which of Polly's hands is the Queen holding?
(a) Her right hand.
(b) Her left hand.
(c) Neither hand - the Queen is dragging her by her hair.
(d) Neither hand - Polly is running behind Digory and the Queen.
12. What is Digory's last name?
13. Why does Jadis study Uncle Andrew's face?
(a) She is looking for the Mark of an evil magician.
(b) She is trying to hypnotize him.
(c) She is reading his mind and heart.
(d) She is admiring his looks.
14. What does Digory do before picking up the ring?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He punches Uncle Andrew in the head.
(c) He buttons up his coat and takes a deep breath.
(d) He ties his shoelaces.
15. What color is the sky in the new world?
(b) A blue that is almost black.
(c) Light blue
(d) Streaks of yellow, blue and red
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does the Queen show when she realizes the palace is breaking up?
2. What does the Cabby tell Jadis to do?
3. What is distinctive about the doors leading into the Hall of Images?
4. What interests Polly most about the Hall of Images?
5. What phrase best describes the palace in which they find themselves?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)