|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Digory afraid of now that the Witch/Queen is in London and in his house?
(a) He is afraid that he, too, will sit on red hot chairs and have ice in his bed.
(b) He fears that she will go into his mother's room and frighten her to death.
(c) He is afraid that Polly will never forgive him.
(d) He is afraid that Uncle Andrew and she will conquer the world.
2. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
(a) She would turn him into a rattlesnake.
(b) Every chair he sat on would feel like ice and his bed would feel red hot.
(c) She would command invisible demons to whip him.
(d) Every chair he sat on would feel red hot, and he would find invisible ice in his bed.
3. Had Digory seen Mrs Lefay before?
(a) No - he has never seen her before
(b) Yes - she has visited the house
(c) Yes, but only in a photo
(d) No - Uncle Andrew is lying about her
4. What does Uncle Andrew offer to Polly?
(a) A book
(b) A green ring
(c) A yellow ring
(d) A fountain pen
5. What color is the sun in that world?
6. Where does Digory see the writing?
(a) On the pillar
(b) On the chair of the last queen
(c) On the hammer
(d) On the bell
7. What does the Cabby tell Jadis to do?
(a) To go home until she is sober again.
(b) That she is a disgraceful hussy.
(c) Go home and have a cup of tea and a rest.
(d) To stop whipping his horse.
8. What color rings are the children wearing when they first jump into the new pool?
(b) They aren't wearing any rings.
(c) Polly is wearing a green ring, but Digory is wearing a yellow ring.
9. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
(a) The carpet in the sitting room.
(b) The drawing room sofa.
(c) Bare boards.
(d) The matress she had been mending.
10. What emotion does the Queen show when she realizes the palace is breaking up?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) None - she is completely calm.
(c) She is furious.
(d) She thinks it is funny.
11. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
(a) A yell
(b) A peculiar smell
(c) A weird flashing light
(d) A strange humming sound
12. What happens to Jadis when she is in the Wood Between the Worlds?
(a) She becomes calm and drowsy.
(b) She becomes sick and starts vomiting.
(c) She becomes pale, faint and terrified.
(d) She becomes furious and her strength doubles.
13. What expressions are seen on the faces at the beginning of the row of images?
(a) Wise and cruel
(b) Proud and cruel
(c) Kind and wise
(d) Solemn and dignified
14. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
(a) Ginger beer
(b) A story she is writing
(d) A store of toffee
15. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
(a) My dear girl.
(b) A terrible creature.
(c) An old fool.
(d) A dem fine woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Uncle Andrew's godmother?
2. What is the name of the city?
3. Where did Jadis learn the Deplorable Word?
4. What smell does Digory notice while he is waiting?
5. When does Polly let go of Digory's hand?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)