|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Andrew offer to Polly?
(a) A book
(b) A yellow ring
(c) A fountain pen
(d) A green ring
2. What expressions are seen on the faces at the beginning of the row of images?
(a) Kind and wise
(b) Wise and cruel
(c) Solemn and dignified
(d) Proud and cruel
3. Which of the following did not happen to the guinea pigs that Uncle Andrew used for his experiments?
(a) They exploded
(b) They learned to speak
(c) They vanished
(d) They died
4. Where did Jadis learn the Deplorable Word?
(a) In the temple in the middle of Charn
(b) From her mother
(c) In a secret place
(d) In the Great Library of the palace
5. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
(a) Alive, quiet and rich
(b) Noisy, exciting and lively
(c) Stuffy, drowsy and soporific
(d) Bleak, barren and sterile
6. What is distinctive about the doors leading into the Hall of Images?
(a) They are studded with precious gems.
(b) They have magical writing carved into the wood.
(c) They are made of a mysterious black metal.
(d) They look as though they are made of gold.
7. From where did the box that Andrew took from Mrs Lefay come?
8. What does the Cabby tell Jadis to do?
(a) To stop whipping his horse.
(b) That she is a disgraceful hussy.
(c) To go home until she is sober again.
(d) Go home and have a cup of tea and a rest.
9. Which other classic children's book is not mentioned or referred to in this chapter?
(a) Alice in Wonderland
(b) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
(c) Treasure Island
(d) The Treasure Seekers (about the Bastable children)
10. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
11. Which piece of scientific equipment is on Uncle Andrew's desk?
(a) A telescope
(b) A bunsen burner
(c) An alembic
(d) A microscope
12. What phrase best describes the palace in which they find themselves?
(a) Secret, lonely and mysterious
(b) Cold, boring and stuffy
(c) Bleak, dead and desolate
(d) Majestic, terrifying and awe-inspiring
13. What color of light does Digory notice overhead first after putting on the yellow ring?
14. Who was riding in the hansom that the Witch was driving?
(a) A policeman
(c) Uncle Andrew
(d) The cabby
15. How does Jadis think that Uncle Andrew has seen her face?
(a) In a book or great queens
(b) In a magic mirror or enchanted pool
(c) In a dream or vision
(d) In a crystal ball
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
2. What feature of London do the children see while traveling back using the green rings?
3. What is the name of the housemaid?
4. What has Jadis stolen from the jeweler's shop?
5. What does Uncle Andrew keep hidden in his wardrobe?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)