|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fruit does the visitor bring for Digory's mother?
2. When does Polly let go of Digory's hand?
(a) When they enter the Hall of Images
(b) As soon as they arrive in the new world.
(c) When Digory strikes the bell.
(d) When he suggests she is afraid of exploring the ruin.
3. What does Digory do before picking up the ring?
(a) He buttons up his coat and takes a deep breath.
(b) He ties his shoelaces.
(c) He says a prayer.
(d) He punches Uncle Andrew in the head.
4. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
5. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
(a) The drawing room sofa.
(b) The matress she had been mending.
(c) The carpet in the sitting room.
(d) Bare boards.
6. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
(a) A story she is writing
(b) A store of toffee
(d) Ginger beer
7. How many nobles did the Queen's great-grandfather kill in the banqueting hall?
(c) One hundred
(d) Seven hundred
8. What expressions are seen on the faces at the beginning of the row of images?
(a) Kind and wise
(b) Solemn and dignified
(c) Wise and cruel
(d) Proud and cruel
9. What emotion does the Queen show when she realizes the palace is breaking up?
(a) She is furious.
(b) None - she is completely calm.
(c) She is afraid.
(d) She thinks it is funny.
10. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
(a) Alive, quiet and rich
(b) Bleak, barren and sterile
(c) Noisy, exciting and lively
(d) Stuffy, drowsy and soporific
11. What sculpture was once used as a fountain?
(a) A winged stone monster
(b) A dolphin
(c) A beautiful nymph
(d) A flying horse
12. Which of the following did not happen to the guinea pigs that Uncle Andrew used for his experiments?
(a) They vanished
(b) They learned to speak
(c) They exploded
(d) They died
13. What is the name of the city?
14. What is stopping all the clothes from rotting away?
(a) The chamber has been sealed for centuries.
(b) Strong magic spells preserve them.
(c) All the bacteria in that world are dead, as is everything else.
(d) They are made from indestructible fabrics.
15. What color is the sky in the new world?
(a) Streaks of yellow, blue and red
(c) Light blue
(d) A blue that is almost black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Queen?
2. What happens when they jump into the pools wearing the wrong rings?
3. What was the name of Uncle Andrew's godmother?
4. What does the Cabby tell Jadis to do?
5. What color of stone has been used to build the old palace in which they find themselves?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)