|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Aunt Letty think that Jadis comes from?
(a) A foreign country
(b) A troupe of actors
(c) Another world
(d) A circus
2. What unsettling thing does Digory hear one night coming from the attic?
(a) A yell
(b) A strange humming sound
(c) A weird flashing light
(d) A peculiar smell
3. What is Uncle Andrew's characteristic gesture or habit while speaking?
(a) Stroking his chin
(b) Rubbing his hands and making his knuckles crack
(c) Drumming his fingers on the tabletop
(d) Running his hands through his rumpled gray hair
4. What is the name of Digory's mother?
5. What does Aunt Letty fall onto?
(a) The drawing room sofa.
(b) The carpet in the sitting room.
(c) Bare boards.
(d) The matress she had been mending.
6. Who was riding in the hansom that the Witch was driving?
(b) A policeman
(c) Uncle Andrew
(d) The cabby
7. Where does Digory see the writing?
(a) On the chair of the last queen
(b) On the bell
(c) On the hammer
(d) On the pillar
8. What color is the sky in the new world?
(a) Streaks of yellow, blue and red
(b) Light blue
(c) A blue that is almost black.
9. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
10. Into which pocket does Digory put the green rings?
(a) His left pocket
(b) Both his left and right pockets
(c) His right pocket
(d) His waistcoat pocket
11. What phrase best describes the palace in which they find themselves?
(a) Majestic, terrifying and awe-inspiring
(b) Bleak, dead and desolate
(c) Secret, lonely and mysterious
(d) Cold, boring and stuffy
12. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
(a) A story she is writing
(b) A store of toffee
(d) Ginger beer
13. Which possible fate does Uncle Andrew not suggest may happen to Polly if Digory does not go to rescue her?
(d) Being eaten by wild animals
14. Which of the following does Digory miss about his old home in the country?
(a) Fruit trees in the garden
(b) Fresh air and quiet
(c) A pet guinea pig
(d) Owning a pony
15. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
(a) Stuffy, drowsy and soporific
(b) Noisy, exciting and lively
(c) Bleak, barren and sterile
(d) Alive, quiet and rich
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Polly call Aunt Letty?
2. What feature of London do the children see while traveling back using the green rings?
3. Where does the Ketterley family originate?
4. What sort of ring takes you into the Wood between the Worlds?
5. What sculpture was once used as a fountain?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)