|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the waistcoat that Uncle Andrew puts on in an attempt to impress the Witch?
2. How does Uncle Andrew describe the Witch behind her back?
(a) A terrible creature.
(b) A dem fine woman.
(c) My dear girl.
(d) An old fool.
3. Which phrase best describes the wood Digory finds himself in?
(a) Bleak, barren and sterile
(b) Alive, quiet and rich
(c) Stuffy, drowsy and soporific
(d) Noisy, exciting and lively
4. What is distinctive about the doors leading into the Hall of Images?
(a) They look as though they are made of gold.
(b) They are studded with precious gems.
(c) They are made of a mysterious black metal.
(d) They have magical writing carved into the wood.
5. What interests Polly most about the Hall of Images?
(a) The hairstyles of the women in the figures.
(b) The clothes the figures are wearing.
(c) The jewels the figures are wearing.
(d) The faces of the people.
6. What is most striking about the last queen, apart from her beauty?
(a) Her height and strength
(b) Her cruel expression
(c) Her fierceness and pride
(d) Her unbelievably long hair
7. What would Polly call Aunt Letty?
(a) Miss Letitia
(b) Mrs Ketterley
(c) Miss Letty
(d) Miss Ketterley
8. Which of the following does Polly not keep in the "smugglers' cave"?
(a) A story she is writing
(b) A store of toffee
(c) Ginger beer
9. What is the name of the city?
10. What color is the sky in the new world?
(b) Light blue
(c) Streaks of yellow, blue and red
(d) A blue that is almost black.
11. Had Digory seen Mrs Lefay before?
(a) Yes, but only in a photo
(b) No - Uncle Andrew is lying about her
(c) Yes - she has visited the house
(d) No - he has never seen her before
12. How long is Polly sent to bed for as a punishment?
(a) One hour
(b) Two hours
(c) A week
(d) Half an hour
13. Which other classic children's book is not mentioned or referred to in this chapter?
(a) Treasure Island
(b) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
(c) Alice in Wonderland
(d) The Treasure Seekers (about the Bastable children)
14. Which piece of scientific equipment is on Uncle Andrew's desk?
(a) A bunsen burner
(b) A microscope
(c) A telescope
(d) An alembic
15. What season is it when Digory and Polly decide to explore the houses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What spells or curses would Jadis cast on Andrew if he disobeys or betrays her?
2. How many policemen are riding in the second hansom cab?
3. In what city is this story set?
4. Where does Digory see the writing?
5. Which of the following does Jadis not suggest as a means of transport?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)