* Polly meets Digory and learns that he lives with his aunt and uncle, and that his mother is terminally ill.
* Digory tells Polly that his uncle may be insane and is concealing some mystery in his attic study.
* Polly shows Digory the tunnel she has discovered that gives access to all the other houses in their row of terrace houses.
* Polly and Digory decide to use the tunnel to get into an empty house in their row, which they believe has a mystery behind it.
* The children miscalculate the distance needed to get into the empty house and enter Uncle Andrew's forbidden study, where a number of green and yellow rings stand on a table making a faint humming noise.
* Uncle Andrew locks the door and prevents them leaving the study, saying that two children are just what he needed for his research.
This section contains 6,497 words
(approx. 22 pages at 300 words per page)